[OT] Bloodborne: feat. PSU's Bloodborne Review "Bleeding Brilliance'"

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="MajorMajor, post: 6435966]I had this exact same experience for the first few hours, but I just went with the mystery. After opening a gate or 2 I started to find my feet and understand how the game plays. Very engaging learning experience I've had with Bloodborne so far. I'd say it definitely rewards perseverance.

I've been struggling to beat vicar Amelia for the last few days but put her down just an hour ago, thank goodness, she's tough! Took around 20-30 attempts I think, not sure exactly.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6435976]Exploration is your guide. The beginning of the game is the hardest. Once you understand, and come up with a game plan, you will be rewarded. The game is a mix of frustration and rewards.[/QUOTE]

I think i could hack it if there was some sort of map or what my next objective was....its that what is putting me off, not the difficulty. I dont think its a game you rent, i will have to buy it at some point as i want to get into this.

HellsJester

Master Sage
Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6436043]I think i could hack it if there was some sort of map or what my next objective was....its that what is putting me off, not the difficulty. I dont think its a game you rent, i will have to buy it at some point as i want to get into this.[/QUOTE]

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
I really like that it doesn't hold your hand. Exploration is such a joy, and a risk. It does make it harder for newcomers (I'm pretty new, Dark Souls II was my first) and more casual gamers, but it is meant for a different type of gamer.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
yep, you have to explore. I was on Father Gascoigne for like 4 days until I finally beat that little bastard. Wait till you fight that guy, he's the same size as you, fast, extremely aggressive, Just a pure nightmare, then after he has a 1/4 of his health left, he turns into a werewolf and is even worse.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
My choice of weapon give me a clear advantage it seems so far only the 2nd beast struggles me. Long form of axe's strong attack (swipe attack) stop almost every attack of anyone.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6436103]My choice of weapon give me a clear advantage it seems so far only the 2nd beast struggles me. Long form of axe's strong attack (swipe attack) stop almost every attack of anyone.[/QUOTE]

I used the axe for the entire game. Best weapon in my opinion. Later on you will want to use the short version coupled with a torch. I found it was just so much easier to see, and later on you hardly have the time to charge up the R2 attack in it's long form.

HellsJester

Master Sage
Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6436104]I used the axe for the entire game. Best weapon in my opinion. Later on you will want to use the short version coupled with a torch. I found it was just so much easier to see, and later on you hardly have the time to charge up the R2 attack in it's long form.[/QUOTE]

Nice choice.
Now try going Bloodtinge build and using a Chikage.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6436108]Nice choice.
Now try going Bloodtinge build and using a Chikage.[/QUOTE]

I will try that today. I have a shit load of materials to upgrade any weapon I want.

HellsJester

Master Sage
Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6436111]I will try that today. I have a shit load of materials to upgrade any weapon I want.[/QUOTE]

Be careful! Chikage's transformed mode steals health from its user but used correctly with 50 Bloodtinge and it is godlike.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6436104]I used the axe for the entire game. Best weapon in my opinion. Later on you will want to use the short version coupled with a torch. I found it was just so much easier to see, and later on you hardly have the time to charge up the R2 attack in it's long form.[/QUOTE]

Yea I haven't seen anything more useful atm, I wish the kirkwall hammer to be more deadly, it looks cool , makes you wish to use it, but way to slow in big form, and way to short in small form. But when I compare the weapons from the previous games, most of them are far better! They really worked on them this time.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6436116]Yea I haven't seen anything more useful atm, I wish the kirkwall hammer to be more deadly, it looks cool , makes you wish to use it, but way to slow in big form, and way to short in small form. But when I compare the weapons from the previous games, most of them are far better! They really worked on them this time.[/QUOTE]

My Kirkwall sword is stronger than my axe, but like you said, it is shorter and has less hit radius in extended form. I love how you spin the long axe around killing everyone in it's hit radius, throwing the enemies to the ground.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
I started with the Saw Cleaver, but I found the Axe to be better out of the starting weapons (Although I haven't touched the Cane yet). I find Ludwig's Holy Blade to be the best though, with the Axe as my backup. I feel like I should be using the secondary weapons more, I haven't tried the flamethrower thing at all, I've only used the blunderbuss.

E: Now I won't be able to play for a month, as I'll be away. :/

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I will tell you what I never use in this game. The guns! I absolutely never shoot anything. I think it is because the guns did such little damage when I first started, that I decided to never use them again.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
I don't use it as often as I'd like to. It's only there for crowd control and defense, but pulling off a riposte is very satisfying and very useful against some enemies/bosses that very visibly project their attacks. It helped a lot of with Father Gascoigne and the Blood-Starved Beast.

shepard

PSU Live Streamer
Dec 21, 2006
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6436134]how do you stun enemies? Guns are useful for me, loving them.[/QUOTE]

2 ways
-shoot them in the face at the right time before they hit you
-sneak up and do a charge R2 attack at their back (doesn't work with 2handed hunter axe mode)

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[video=youtube;cx8iof427rA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx8iof427rA[/video] Don't forget to get right up in them and press R1.

The Axe does stun, but obviously its followed by a second swing.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6436134]how do you stun enemies? Guns are useful for me, loving them.[/QUOTE]

I don't stun them. I knock them on their ass and kill them!

I finally beat the Pthumerian Queen!!!

Video of my battle.

[video=youtube;0EoQVziU-Ag]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EoQVziU-Ag[/video]

Last edited:

HellsJester

Master Sage
Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6436160]I don't stun them. I knock them on their ass and kill them!

I finally beat the Pthumerian Queen!!!

Video of my battle.

[video=youtube;0EoQVziU-Ag]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EoQVziU-Ag[/video][/QUOTE]

What does the Yharnam Stone do?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6436211]What does the Yharnam Stone do?[/QUOTE]

I think it allows me to purchase all other chalice materials.

HellsJester

Master Sage
Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6436218]I think it allows me to purchase all other chalice materials.[/QUOTE]

Wiki says - Does not unlock more materials to be bought from the insight shop contrary to prior belief.

Did you try taking it to Altar of Despair? It reminds me of the Vileblood Queens remains scenario.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6436220]Wiki says - Does not unlock more materials to be bought from the insight shop contrary to prior belief.

Did you try taking it to Altar of Despair? It reminds me of the Vileblood Queens remains scenario.[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried yet. I will find out what it does tonight though.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6436238]Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Don't thank me. I was not able to find out what this damn stone does lol

Jun 19, 2014
Iceland
Just bought bloodborne a couple of days ago and so far i love it , but i want some advice from you guys about what i should level up first here are my stats : (lvl 31)

Vit - 23
End - 16
Str - 20
Ski - 9
Blo - 6
Arc - 7

I like using the battleaxe you get from the beginning doesnt strength affect that weapon? , thanks !

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="platinumseeker, post: 6436367]Just bought bloodborne a couple of days ago and so far i love it , but i want some advice from you guys about what i should level up first here are my stats : (lvl 31)

Vit - 23
End - 16
Str - 20
Ski - 9
Blo - 6
Arc - 7

I like using the battleaxe you get from the beginning doesnt strength affect that weapon? , thanks ![/QUOTE]

Looking pretty good with the Axe by the looks of things. Maybe a little more Endurance would be nice in the balance? Your lowest stat seems to be Bloodtinge. Do you use the guns much?