[OT] Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I'd like to think we'd see it later this year if they were to announce the localization soon after the Japanese release but then again Dragon Quest games are known for releasing a year later in the west. Maybe some developers have their games localized faster than others? What's it usually like waiting for Koei Tecmo games?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2014
Wales
www.twitter.com
[QUOTE="Metal King Slime, post: 6419104]I'd like to think we'd see it later this year if they were to announce the localization soon after the Japanese release but then again Dragon Quest games are known for releasing a year later in the west. Maybe some developers have their games localized faster than others? What's it usually like waiting for Koei Tecmo games?[/QUOTE]

Well DW8 Empires comes out this month over here and in the US, and it was released in Japan in November, so that's a 3 month wait. The main series ones have a bit more of a delay, about 6 months. There's hardly any voiceovers really in any of the games though, and they're usually pretty bad. DQ also has a lot of jokes and puns which I presume they'll have to reword for an English speaking audience.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I do enjoy the jokes and puns in Dragon Quest. :snicker

In any case, I was glad to read that Ryutaro Ichimura wants to bring it over to the rest of the world so let's remain positive!

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Differences between the PS4 and PS3 versions were recently outlined on the game's official website:

- The content of the game will be exactly the same across the PS4 and PS3.
- For the PS4 version, you can take screenshots and record video, broadcast gameplay via live streams, Share Play with friends (as far as the opening dragon battle) and Remote Play on PS Vita.
- PS4 version is 60 frames per second with characters moving more smoothly.
- PS3 version is 30 frames per second.
- PS4 graphics: Characters, environments, effects and such have a more delicate expression. Additionally, in cases where large armies of monsters appear, more monsters will be displayed on screen.
- PS3 graphics: In cases where large armies of monsters appear, some monsters will be hidden. However, the difficulty of these battles will not change.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Jessica and Yangus' abilities detailed with new screenshots today.

Jessica
Equipment: Whip
Special Ability: Magic Burst

As a gifted magician, Jessica is naturally good with spells. But she's also good with her whip. Her special moves showcase her sex appeal and are a sight to see.

Abilities:
Crack - Pierces the enemy with blades of sharp ice. In rare cases, it will also freeze the enemy, preventing them from moving.
Sexy Beam - A lovely beam that strikes the enemy and causes them to fall madly in love with her.
Magic Burst - Releases all of her magic in a burst of purple fire to deal great damage to Jessica's surrounding enemies.

Yangus
Equipment: Axe
Special Ability: Axe Musou

Yangus appears full of power and attacks with an axe. Because most of his sheer strength, he is the strongest class of all the playable characters.

Abilities:
Whistle - A special skill that attracts surrounding demons, allowing Yangus to strike a herd of enemies with one swing of his axe.
Sky Blue Demon Strike - Yangus' axe glows sky blue and lets him cut the enemy with a single strike. The impact will reach even far away enemies.
Axe Musou - Create a huge tornado powerful enough to lift the heavyweight Yangus into the air and strike surrounding enemies.

New screenshots can be found in the gallery link in the OP.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Read about it on PSU: http://www.psu.com/news/25870/-New-Dragon-Quest-Heroes-trailer-confirms-free-DLC

Watch the epic third official trailer now! The game looks absolutely beautiful.

[video=youtube;WTXBxHMJAPg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXBxHMJAPg[/video]

At the end, they're teasing free DLC of Dragon Quest villains.

There are several TV spots as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

Akuto's voice actor playing the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3cRmb5fUtw

Mehr's voice actor playing the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBYwGJCZq1k

Action TV spot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh_O8aH1sYI

Story TV spot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zI41LJ8yik

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Maya and Terry's special abilities detailed.

Maya
Equipment: Folding Fan
Special Ability: Puff!

Maya is a splendid dancer equipped with a folding fan. She specializes in fire spells and skills, and her special ability allows her to transform her surroundings into a sea of flames.

Abilities:
Folding Fan Dance - Strikes surrounding enemies with golden folding fans following a beautiful dance.
Hurricane Flame Fan - Summons flames in the shape of a dragon that swoops down on surrounding enemies.
Puff! - Maya dances, floats high into the sky, then transforms into an actual dragon before burning surrounding enemies to nothing.

Terry
Equipment: One-handed sword and shield
Special Ability: Jigo Spark

Terry can command the powers of wind and thunder, and fights like a professional. He is equipped with both a sword and shield, making him ideal for a balanced battle strategy.

Abilities:
Lightning Bolt Slash - Releases the thunder accumulating in Terry's sword and brushes away surrounding enemies with a glaring slash.
Falcon Slash - Slashes the enemy at high speed. After the attack, the afterimage created by your high speed movement can continue fighting.
Jigo Spark - Using the power accumulated in your sword, unleash your hell thunder and break the earth.

New screenshots also available at the gallery link in the OP.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
For quick access, I've added all of the current links to the character's special abilities in the OP, right under the paragraph about which characters will be returning. It looks as though Bianca and Nera (and maybe Psaro) are the only ones left to be covered. I'm looking forward to reading about Bianca personally.

We also get a better look at the game's mysterious main villain, Hermood, the last and strongest king of the Family of Darkness. Check him out below:

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
I've heard from many sources that its not your traditional musou game and is shaping up to be quite good. I find myself interested in this one so I ask, is there a localization for this in the cards?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Itachi, post: 6423375]I've heard from many sources that its not your traditional musou game and is shaping up to be quite good. I find myself interested in this one so I ask, is there a localization for this in the cards?[/QUOTE]
Well, I've mentioned this in the OP already. The game's producer, Ryutaro Ichimura, has said that he would like to localize it so we're waiting on an official announcement. He was also a producer for Dragon Quest VIII and IX which were localized.

If you haven't seen them yet, you should watch the videos that I added to the 2015 spoiler in the OP so that you can see for yourself how the game looks.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
If you're curious about how the PS4 and PS3 versions compare, Square Enix have released two videos today:

PS4 version (original video was made private, sorry)
[video=youtube;rnz-gbK_Wgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnz-gbK_Wgk[/video]

PS3 version
[video=youtube;UjF9Lm2_vSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjF9Lm2_vSI[/video]

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
New screenshots today at the gallery link in the OP and they look beautiful. Definitely check them out, guys. I've posted some of my favorites below:

Oh, and the scores from Famitsu: 7/10/9/9 = 35/40 (87.5/100)

Last edited:

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[QUOTE="Metal King Slime, post: 6424133]If you're curious about how the PS4 and PS3 versions compare, Square Enix have released two videos today:

PS4 version (original video was made private, sorry)
[video=youtube;rnz-gbK_Wgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnz-gbK_Wgk[/video]

PS3 version
[video=youtube;UjF9Lm2_vSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjF9Lm2_vSI[/video]
[/QUOTE]

I was watching these two days ago and I was actually taken aback by how much rougher and generally worse the ps3 version looks in comparison. Enemies have no shadows apart from the bigger monters on ps3. On its own the ps3 may have well been a great looking game but watching that after the ps4 footage was really jarring

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, I know what you mean about the PS3 version. It looks like the number of shadows are determined by how many enemies are in view and whether they're near or farther away. I'm sure there's a word for it.

It is good that they're developing for PS4 though since the Japanese market has been slower to adopt Sony's new console and the Dragon Quest brand should help plenty.

Last edited:

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
PS4 sales already made a million over there and heaps of blockbusters releases in Japan such as Dragon Quest,God Eater 2 Burst,One Piece 3 Pirate Warriors,Type-0 and Yakuza Zero. So there will be more people in Japan buying PS4's in the future.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Yes! This is awesome news! I hope we can see more Dragon Quest fans posting as a result. There are new screenshots as well in the gallery link in the OP.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
This is great news if more people buy this im sure there will be more Dragon Quest release's in the west. Pick this game up when I have a PS4.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Japanese players getting free DLC and it sounds pretty good. Check it out:

Arena Battle + Alena and Kiryl sub-story (March 5)

If you clear the arena battle, you'll get Alena's original costume from Dragon Quest IV. If you clear the sub-story, you'll get different colored costumes for Alena and Kiryl.

Demon Swordsman Battle + Jessica and Yangus sub-story (March 12)

If you clear the arena battle, you'll unlock Psaro as a playable ally. If you clear the sub-story, you'll get different colored costumes for Jessica and Yangus.

In the future:

Gods of Destruction and Slaughter Battle + Terry sub-story
Greatest Demon Beast Battle + Bianca and Nera sub-story
Great Demon Lord Battle + Maya sub-story

More screenshots at the gallery link in the OP.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Trailer for the free DLC, "Arena Battle + Alena and Kiryl sub-story".

[video=youtube;-gHhctOoEL8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gHhctOoEL8[/video]

You can see a Hoodlum and some Restless armours. In the arena, you can see a King slime and King cureslime. They're big and cute!

Tactical

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2014
When this comes to the west I'm pretty sure I'll play over 1000 hours on it, I hope that is the case for MGSV as well, there's just so much content in both games. The only game I'ved done 1000+ on before is Crazy Taxi.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, same here. Interested to see what all of the character sub-stories are like as well the older villains in action. And I like how the Restless armours use their shields to block so you have to hit them when they're open.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Well, it looks like the PS3 version sold more than the PS4 version during the game's opening week in Japan. 325,446 copies sold for PS3 and 269,303 copies sold for PS4. These are good first week sales though, right?