[OT] Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Another positive preview with some screenshots, this time from Dual Pixels:

As I’ve stated before, I’ve never really been a huge fan of the Musou, or Dynasty Warriors, series of games until fairly recently with Hyrule Warriors. Hyrule Warriors had a good amount of polish and fan service. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree’s Woe and the Blight Below aims to combine the Musou series with popular RPG series Dragon Quest. The game’s been out in Japan for a few months, but we finally get the game in North America later this year. I played two missions from the English version, and I walked away pretty happy.

There were two missions that were available for me to play. The first was a simple “kill all monsters” goal. It was a small map with a few twists and turns. The monsters got progressively more difficult in the level. Starting with the usual slimes, going up to some armored knights. The Dragon Quest games lend themselves to having a varied enemy and monster roster. Something I feel that helps out the Dynasty Warriors games as some levels can feel a little monotonous by fighting the same enemies over several maps. The second mission I played was a little different, I had to take out a Gigantes as quickly as possible. Regular attacks didn’t do much damage to him, so I had to use Spellcasters which were turrets located on platforms. It took me a lot longer to realize what it was referring to when the game said to use a “spellcaster.” I thought it meant to switch to a mage/wizard character. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to take down the Gigantes in time by the end of the level.

The game is exactly what I would want out of a Dragon Quest/Warriors hybrid; colorful enemies, wonderful environments, and fast gameplay. There were special elemental attacks which were a joy to use. There’s just something about attacking a horde of enemies and then finishing them off with a flame sword attack. Switching between characters was a great way to try out different play styles and the different special attacks. Plus if you get a little too aggressive with one character, you can easily switch to another to restore that character. There’s also a special ability wheel that allows you to select which special attack to use.

Overall, I had a great time with the game. There are several additions to this game over a traditional Warriors game that makes Dragon Quest Heroes a must get for fans of the Dragon Quest games that aren’t necessarily a fan of the Musou styled games.

Dragon Quest Heroes comes out for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 on October 13th, 2015.
Source

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Anyone going to San Diego Comic-Con (July 9-12)? You'll get a chance to play the game there. I just hope it's not the same Gigantes and "defeat a bunch of monsters out in the grassy field" demos they've been showing before. I wouldn't mind seeing something new before October rolls around.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
It be likely it be the same demo but if you're going there can you let me know if you do get any glimpse's of any of the english voice actors.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Unfortunately, I live miles away in Wisconsin so I couldn't tell you but if anyone will be at San Diego Comic-Con, let us know what you think of the demo.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah and previews never really say much about the voice acting so just hopeful there's an individual that can get videos so we can hear the voices.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I'm assuming that most of the English voices, if not all of them, will be British dubbed just because it's Dragon Quest.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, my bad. Dragon Quest VIII just happened to introduce voice acting to the game with British dubbed voices. I think it has something to do with Europe being more accepting of the franchise.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah with Yangus reprising his role im interested if Heroes will be all British cast. Wonder if they will get actors/actresses that voiced in games like Xenoblade and Ni No Kuni.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Ironically, it seems Europe was more interested in the Japanese voices so we don't have official confirmation yet on how much of the English voices will be British dubbed. But it's interesting that they mention Europe nonetheless as if they're confirming it without really saying it.

RPG Site: Can we expect to see some language choices like switching between Japanese and English voice acting?

Miyake: There will be! You can switch between Japanese or English voices in the English version. We do get - especially from the fans overseas in Europe - a lot of people saying they prefer the Japanese voices, so we decided to give that to the people who wanted it.

In the game, the voice talent that we use in the Japanese version has a lot of very famous voice actors who do a lot of Japanese anime shows as well. I think for people in Europe who like Japanese anime, this will be something they can really get on board with and really enjoy it because they know the voice actors.

From a development point of view actually - originally we didn't intend on having it in there because there was a bit of a problem with the memory on the disc. We didn't think we could fit having both the English and Japanese voices, but Square Enix came to us and said, "Look, we've got a lot of people from Europe who really want this. There's so many people calling for it." So we really knuckled down and tried to find a way and we finally managed to put it in there for everyone.
Source

Also, Dragon Quest Heroes is said to be making an appearance at Gamescom next month.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
New story trailer with English voices, in case anyone missed it:

[video=youtube;4wnCFZy2blc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wnCFZy2blc[/video]

Teetie

Apprentice
May 2, 2015
So it looks like Hyrule Warriors but better, and less dull levels. I love the art style they've settled on. Looks like the same one they're using for DQ11 too.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Do you guys want me to create a new thread for updates on the game or should I post them here? It didn't seem like anyone was interested in the new trailer when I made a thread for it which is why I ask. It feels as though these OTs are easy to miss, especially for Japanese games.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
New trailer:

[video=youtube;wNoeF3r120s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNoeF3r120s[/video]

Nearly five minutes long and tells you everything you need to know.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Only two weeks to go now. I'd be interested to read PSU's review, following their positive preview.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Some critic reviews coming in already:

Hobby Consolas - 89/100 said:
DQH is much more than a new "Musou" game, a very enjoyable action game that also adds RPG and strategic elements (in a new way) to its formula. A lovely trip to the Dragon Quest universe that retains its humor, its music and some of the most memorable characters of the series to tell us a very classic story. But if you give it an opportunity, rest assured that you will fall in love with it, even if misses some opportunities, like multiplayer.
3DJuegos - 85/100 said:
A very deep, varied and entertaining Dragon Quest spin-off from the Dynasty Warriors creators. Lots of hours of battles, adventures and dramatic moments await.
JeuxActu - 85/100 said:
Square Enix made a beat'em all with this Dragon Quest Heroes, but it's no betrayal. Beautiful to watch and to listen to, nervous and well-paced, this new entry is a big success and a very good first try on PS4.
IGN Spain - 82/100 said:
Dragon Quest Heroes is too focused on being a tribute to Dragon Quest and sometimes forgets it's its own game. It doesn't have the dimension of other musous, but it's still a fun and addictive game.
Hardcore Gamer - 80/100 said:
Although it could have been a quick cash-in, Heroes is a love letter to Dragon Quest fans that stands as its own charming adventure.
Game Informer - 80/100 said:
As far as musou-style action games go, Dragon Quest Heroes represents the most fun I’ve had with the genre. The added RPG layers, crafting, and tactical monster collection all help alleviate a total focus on repetitive combat. These, plus a fantastic art style, gave me plenty of reasons to be excited about jumping into battle.
GameSpot - 80/100 said:
These tens of thousands of encounters plus the appearances by the series’ many other heroes makes for an essential experience for any Dragon Quest fan, even if you haven’t played a hack-and-slasher in ages. These characters are so fully realized that, assuming you’re not a stickler for official canon, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to consider Dragon Quest Heroes as a companion piece alongside the main series.
XGN - 75/100 said:
The game plays well and guarantees many hours of fun. All in all, Dragon Quest Heroes is a more than successful PlayStation exclusive that most can appreciate.
Destruction - 70/100 said:
Dragon Quest Heroes almost feels like a fully-fledged action RPG, but there's a few things holding it back from greatness. In the end though it still has its charms, alongside of a beautiful art style and a buttery smooth framerate. If you really dig Warriors games and can go at it solo, you'll likely enjoy it.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Anyways, if you've been playing it yet, feel free to post your impressions here. I'll join in next month when I'm not too busy with things like moving.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Cool, man. What characters are you using?

Looks like IGN gave this game one of its lowest review scores (6.2/10) but most critics are giving it an 8/10. Still going to play it, of course. Sorry that I can't say much else.

Last edited:

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I just got through the opening parts. So just playing as Luceus right now, along with the king and the blond girl. Can't remember names! lol