[OT] Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6481911]I just got through the opening parts. So just playing as Luceus right now, along with the king and the blond girl. Can't remember names! lol[/QUOTE]
Oh, Aurora. Yeah, it'd make sense for the opening parts to have you play as the new characters before you come across everyone else.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
You're totally right on it being a niche title but it's good to hear you're enjoying it. If you want, we could add each other when I pick up a PS4 for the game myself.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Cool. I'm in Internet limbo right now as I've taken a new job in a new state. Only internet I have is on my phone. But yeah, when I'm back online, I'll hit you up.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Found an article about an easy way to earn XP, mini medals and boss tips here.

It goes into detail about what you can do. For example, the Magnetic Necklace (earned by finishing Maya's quests) will help to attract metal slimes in Arba Town - Hero.

Interestingly, since I mentioned wanting to use Bianca in my party before, it looks like equipping her with the Raging Ruby, Ace of Spoils and Allure Ring (earned from Jessica and Yangus' quest line) should help in hunting for mini medals.

The post-story free DLC bosses have a recommended order to go through as well.

Bjorn is the easiest and should be your first target. Shoot him in the head with the turret on the left, and prioritize shooting down his boulder and fireball attacks. Eventually, you'll be able to hop on his head and stab him in the eyes for a bit.

Nokturnus is no joke. Familiarize yourself with his moves above all else. The best advice I can give is to make sure your characters have Artful Dodger and Ace Evader in their skill trees. Without those upgrades, it's very hard to avoid his one-hit-kill attack from above.

Atlas is unlocked after you beat all of the Veteran versions of the main story bosses (They're called Grudge Matches on the level select screen.) He has a stupid amount of hit points, but there's an easy way to bring him down: Terry! Equip him with a Mighty Armlet (critical hits on weak points +5%), Wrecklace (Coup de Grâce damage +7%), and Titan Belt (damage to weak points +6%).

During the fight, use Terry's Falcon Slash (R1 + Circle) to create copies, then repeatedly spam Gust Slash (R1 + Square). This will rapidly build up his tension meter, at which point you can become invincible, activate his Coup de Grâce, stun Atlus, then repeat the process. You'll need to have Terry at a high enough level for him to kill the boss in time, but otherwise it's easy. (This tactic is super useful in most of the game, by the way.)

Zoma is the biggest jerk of them all. He should be your final target. You won't win unless you have a high-level party and equipment to offset his magic. I gave my characters a Bunny Tail (reduced freeze time +40%), Lucky Dragon's Wing (magical resistance +20%), and Raging Ruby (lower damage, more criticals +5%). That finally did the trick.
I had thought about going after Zoma first since he's a favorite boss in the series but it looks like I'll have to save the best for last, as the saying goes, haha.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, I don't really know how much these games are supposed to sell, compared to other games in the action-RPG/hack-and-slash genre.

I heard it sold more than one million units in Japan. However, this information was available several months after its initial release and the western version has only been available for a little more than a month and on one less platform (PS3 version was exclusive to Japan).

I still need to get around to playing Dragon Quest Heroes when I have the time though.

Jan 27, 2015
Chicago
It's a cool casual game where you can jump in and jump out while you play other games. A nice change of pace where you don't need to think as much.

I really like it but haven't played it for a few weeks due to Fallout and FF7.