[OT] Fallout 4

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
Alright, so Todd Howard clarified that mod tools would be coming to PC in early 2016, and hopefully mods would be coming to Xbox One and PS4 shortly afterwards.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
N4G said mods coming to xbox and pc first and ps4 later next year. PC will be first with x1 shortly after during this year. Ps4 2016 sometime.

Last edited:

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Yeah, they would have made much more of a shine had it been an exclusive feature. If it was just for XB1, i'd buy one, if it's coming to ps4 too, I'm good.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="mistercrow, post: 6453327]N4G said mods coming to xbox and pc first and ps4 later next year. PC will be first with x1 shortly after during this year. Ps4 2016 sometime.[/QUOTE]

The more optimistic way to look at that... Xbox One will be doing the testing of the mods for PS4 users.

Was glad to hear though that PS4 is indeed getting it, I figured it would, but didn't want to convince myself. Now the next thing to learn is how exactly it will work and what kind of mods from PC will be allowed on console.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
I'm shocked to say this, but I'm not hyped for Fallout 4 after watching this conferanse. I'm sitting with a hole in my chest where I should be jumping with joy..

Heavy focus on shooting mechanics; no spotlight on new RPG-elements; faces that look "off"; no "feel" for the city...

I'm totally onboard with the base builder and tower-defence, but I'm not sure what to think about the rumored omission off skills in F4.

Definitely not feeling the voice acting and speech-options..

Mods on consoles have no impact on whether or not I purchase this game on consoles. Console first then PC later for mods.

Last edited:

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
There's no way they'll omit skills. If SPECIAL made it's way in, so will skills.

I'm totally hyped, FO3 may be my fav game ever and I LOVE everything I've seen so far. I love so much the new power armor mechanics-you really feel like youre in that gear now. The footage during the XB presser where he was mowing down the bandits was ace. I couldn't be happier about this game.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Admartian, post: 6453364]I just hope modding is available on PS4 as well.[/QUOTE]

Read on GAF that it's been confirmed at some time.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6453369]Regarding skills being omitted, I'm going by mrmatty and friends' findings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU-bjLEW5vA[/QUOTE]
It's possible it was just taken out of the demo. Was it expressly stated? (i missed the conference so i don't know). Removing that particular UI element wouldn't have been too much fuss for them if they wanted to keep some skills secret, for example.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6453351]I'm shocked to say this, but I'm not hyped for Fallout 4 after watching this conferanse. I'm sitting with a hole in my chest where I should be jumping with joy..

Heavy focus on shooting mechanics; no spotlight on new RPG-elements; faces that look "off"; no "feel" for the city...

I'm totally onboard with the base builder and tower-defence, but I'm not sure what to think about the rumored omission off skills in F4.

Definitely not feeling the voice acting and speech-options..

Mods on consoles have no impact on whether or not I purchase this game on consoles. Console first then PC later for mods.[/QUOTE]

From stuff I've seen, skills will still exist at least in some form. In the weapon customization stuff we see Gun Nut and Science mentioned. So Gun skill and Science skill are at least there. We see the existence of a Barter Bobblehead, so at least Barter is still there.

The possibility I see is that we may not have skills like we saw them before, but we'll still have them. Reach level 15 in Guns and you are rank 1 in on the Gun Nut, or something similar.

They said the voice actors did 13,000 lines of dialogue, and they've been recording for 2 years, so I don't think the voiced acting will cut into dialogue options like we've had before. I think it will be weird, though, especially not knowing exactly what your character is going to say (but I kind of like that idea).

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6453375]I saw "press Y for perk chart" when he was looking at the pipboy :)

Sent from my GT-I9000[/QUOTE]

Here's an image of that.

And an image of Power Armor jet-pack.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Like I said - I'm not sure how I feel about all of this. But let me trace back a little and rephrase:

Will skill-points and the skill-menu make a return? I'm not saying they went ahead and cut out all 15 rpg-volumetrics from the game. But why go through the trouble of removing it's tag from the menu because of spoilers? Also they removed any mention of skill-points under intelligence in the SPECIAL-menu, and exchanged it with experience points.

An omission of skill-points might actually make for a better game experience in the end. I know I grew tired at times of planing and plotting in the menus. Imagine skills either being governed solely by SPECIAL-stats, perks and/or by hidden use-based volumetrics?

[QUOTE="Scheller, post: 6453372]
They said the voice actors did 13,000 lines of dialogue, and they've been recording for 2 years, so I don't think the voiced acting will cut into dialogue options like we've had before. I think it will be weird, though, especially not knowing exactly what your character is going to say (but I kind of like that idea).[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I'm following you.. how would you express it in different terms?

Last edited:

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6453383]I'm not sure I'm following you.. how would you express it in different terms?[/QUOTE]

I don't think the inclusion of a voiced protag will mean we have less dialogue paths. Many thought including a voiced protag would mean more linear "discussions" within the game.

But I see now I think you may have meant the four-at-a-time thing.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Scheller, post: 6453732]I don't think the inclusion of a voiced protag will mean we have less dialogue paths. Many thought including a voiced protag would mean more linear "discussions" within the game.

But I see now I think you may have meant the four-at-a-time thing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Mass Effect wheel. I agree and I hope you are right. I realize now (and hope) that the wheel in question will be exclusively for Dogmeat, the "robo-butler" and such.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6453760]Yeah, the Mass Effect wheel. I agree and I hope you are right. I realize now (and hope) that the wheel in question will be exclusively for Dogmeat, the "robo-butler" and such.[/QUOTE]

Hm, are you sure? I haven't seen any gameplay showing dialogue options between your character and a human. The Xbox gameplay showed you talking to one guy, but it looked edited so no dialogue options showed.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
The scene in question:

I hope, like I said, that we'll get more fleshed out conversation prompts than this.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
Yea, I have a feeling that will be the choice for every character. But of course, we won't know for a while how many conversation branches there are with someone. I think (read: hope) it will still be equal to previous games, but it's just being presented differently.

I still feel like this is a game I'll digitally pre-order without worry.

Abdou23

Forum Elder
Sep 16, 2008
Egypt
30FPS. 1080 & Mods.

Fallout 4 will run at 1080p and 30 frames-per-second on everything, it has been revealed.Director Todd Howard confirmed the news to Digital Spy at this year's E3 gaming expo. ""It is 1080p on everything," he said, before confirming that it would run at 30fps and not 60fps."When we asked if the studio was hoping to eventually bring mod support to PS4, Howard said: "We will be. Well, we're going to make every effort to. If Sony says no, we won't, but I don't think they will
"But, you know, it will come out on PC first. So early 2016, the creation mod for the PC, and then we're going to make that work on the Xbox One, and then we're going to do the PS4 version."
source

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I nervously preordered Fallout 4, since it's $16 cheaper and who has $90 with tax for games?, but I'm hesitant after Bethesda games on PS3. Hopefully things won't be repeated.

Cool about the mod support eventually coming to PS4, but it's a shame we'll never get Fallout 3.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 6456141]I nervously preordered Fallout 4, since it's $16 cheaper and who has $90 with tax for games?, but I'm hesitant after Bethesda games on PS3. Hopefully things won't be repeated.

Cool about the mod support eventually coming to PS4, but it's a shame we'll never get Fallout 3.[/QUOTE]
Might get PC-ports. Never know.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
I could never get into Fallout or The Elder Scroll games but seeing how excited everyone is for this title makes me think I should at least give it a go and approach it with an open mind and not judging it from the previous games. Seems like they are aiming big on all platforms.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6456378]I could never get into Fallout or The Elder Scroll games but seeing how excited everyone is for this title makes me think I should at least give it a go and approach it with an open mind and not judging it from the previous games. Seems like they are aiming big on all platforms.[/QUOTE]

Definitely give this a shot. I like FO better than ES. It's all about the lore and atmosphere but then theres really great exploration and customisation, especially in 4.

Man the power armor gameplay looks epic this time around. Before it was just cosmetic with added durability but now it looks like youre really in a badass piece of tech.

Sent from my GT-I9000

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Sony would be silly to say no regarding mod support.

~ Sent from my iPhone

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6456385]Definitely give this a shot. I like FO better than ES. It's all about the lore and atmosphere but then theres really great exploration and customisation, especially in 4.

Man the power armor gameplay looks epic this time around. Before it was just cosmetic with added durability but now it looks like youre really in a badass piece of tech.

Sent from my GT-I9000[/QUOTE]

I'll keep an eye on when it releases and take the plunge. I don't want to miss out if it really is going to be outstanding :)

[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6456473]Sony would be silly to say no regarding mod support.

~ Sent from my iPhone[/QUOTE]

They'll support it I expect. I'm intrigued to know how the mods will work. I can't see it being mods like ENB or other graphical things but it could be skins, characters NPC's and maybe other things like that. A move in the right direction though