[OT] Fallout 4

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6456378]I could never get into Fallout or The Elder Scroll games but seeing how excited everyone is for this title makes me think I should at least give it a go and approach it with an open mind and not judging it from the previous games. Seems like they are aiming big on all platforms.[/QUOTE]

You have to give it a decent go before you find out if it's for you or not. It took me about 5 hours to get hooked. It never let up after that. ES games didn't quite do that to me but I do enjoy them a good deal.

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
Playing Fallout 4 on the PS4 will be a glorious day. Extra points for Bethesda for making Boston the setting. An amazing RPG set in my city? Take my money.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
I don't even care that much if the graphics are not exactly stunning, it's all about the gameplay with this one and if they nail that then we will have an awesome game on our hands :D

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6462589]I don't even care that much if the graphics are not exactly stunning, it's all about the gameplay with this one and if they nail that then we will have an awesome game on our hands :D[/QUOTE]

I've always loved that about Bethesda games. If you enjoy the games you don't care how the graphics are. It's all about the experience.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Totally agree. Nice graphics are nice but if you need them to enjoy Fallout, youre doing it wrong. :D

Sent from my GT-I9000

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Even if you have to make sacrifices in detail to get the best graphics it kind of kills the game a little for me, take F1 2015 for example, they managed to get 60fps from it but at the expense of all the details the old games had in them that made them that little bit more realistic! Kinds of takes a little bit of the shine from the game really imo

I would rather have a game that runs in 720p or 1080i and 30fps with lots of awesome details than a game that runs 1080p and 60fps but has to take most of them out to achieve it!

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
@duffman: You know Duff, our brains use atmosphere and music to merge and immerse ourselves into a game. Art style and imagination helps out as well! The biggest barrier is One's own mindset. After that I find surroundings crucial. I.e, a solitary room with no sound or light pollution. In third place I've put frame fluctuations. Many people think 30 fps is something horrendous, but you can acclimatize to a lot of things. Framerate bouncing all over the place however..!

Last edited:

gumionday

Dedicated Member
May 10, 2007
The Quakecon Demo of Fallout is going to be happening soon, looking at live blog right now. New demo being shown but won't be released, at least we can still get info from it. I'll post some things from it if no one else does first.

Here is the IGN live blog of the demo

-In-game demo. Mr. Handy will say out loud the name you give your character. From "Shaun" to "Mr. F***face." Yes, he actually said it.

-Character concept art shown off: Preston Garvey (spelling didn't appear on screen). Leader of the Commonwealth Minute men. He wears brown robes and carries a laser rifle.

-Showing his in-game model. He wears a bent Sheriff's hat. He's talking to the main character. Talking about how his men's numbers have thinned down to only 5. He needs help.

-Again, we still haven't jumped into a full, uninterrupted demo. Just bits of in-game footage, then more concept art. Hang in there!

-Diamond City, built in the ruins of Fenway Park. Howard makes a jab at Sox fans. Concept art is on screen.

-Preston Garvey can be a companion, but now they're introducing us to Piper, another possible companion. He meets her at Diamond City.

-She's a woman wearing a red leather coat and an old-fashioned newsboy hat. She gets the player access to the destroyed park. Her boss, Mayor McDonough, is not happy with it.

-They are showing "four of about a dozen" companions. Dogmeat, Mr. Handy, Piper, and Preston.

-Now talking about the app that's coming out with Fallout 4, and the PipBoy edition.

-Showing an old-timey video for S -- Strength. "We at Vault-Tec have prepared these educational materials for you to better understand the 7 attributes that make you special. Today we focus on strength."

-Vault Boy finds nukes, gas masks, books, med packs. "The stronger you are, the more you can carry." He loads up on items and has to walk slowly. He's squashed by a huge, buff Raider guy. I hope there's one of these for each of the attributes.

-Todd Howard says that was one of a series. They're releasing them from now to the release of the game.

-We have a bunch of perks, and those are tied to your SPECIAL stats. Every time you level up you get to pick one. Showing the perk UI. It's laid out like a giant poster, with each "column" designated to one letter of SPECIAL.

-Bloody Mess is on there. "Everyone likes to pick that."

-We're looking at the town of Lexington. Ghouls have come in and pushed out survivors, but you've heard a group has taken up residence there.

-Gameplay. THe character is entering Lexington. There's a broken diner, a chemical plant. He has Dogmeat with him.

-Ghouls start pouring out of the windows, the cracks in buildings. It's kinda creepy. Character uses VATS to blast the ghouls in the torsa. More pour out and go after him.

-After the battle, the player discovers Super Duper Mart. He tells the dog "see if he had anything worth taking" and the dog goes off while the main character hacks a computer.

-After hacking the computer, he turns around and sees a robot patrolling the mart. It says "protect and serve" as it waddles around. Seems harmless.

-The player discovers a laser musket. Ghouls come through the window and start attacking the player and the patrolling robot. The musket is crazy powerful. After every shot he has to reload by cranking a lever on the side. Very satisfying.

-Cut in the footage. We're outside again. There's a dead body hanging from a basketball hoop. Bad day for that guy.

-We're now in a place called Corvega. It's a power plant. You can hear other people talking further into the facility. They're raiders. The character uses VATS and blasts apart a guy's head. It's nasty.

-Ghouls come in and start attacking the raiders. The player is able to stand back and let his enemies tear each other apart.

-he player grabs what looks liek a metal pipe edged with razors and uses VATS. A huge swing to the head, followed by a crunchy hit to the back. That guy is very dead.

-We're back outside in the town square area. An airship omes by and drops off two heavily armed characters. They're wearing the iconic Fallout Brotherhood power armor.

-They fight the raiders alongside the player. They're using laser weapons.

-FAT MAN!

-A massive "Behemoth" mutant appears and appraoches the player. He uses VATS to target it. The Fat Man fires off a huge nuke and the creature falls. The mushroom cloud effect is awesome.

-Demo ends. The game looks excellent. Comes out November 10. Howard says, "We hope you love the game, thanks for coming."

-Thanks for following along everyone. The demo wasn't a big, continuous story, so it's kind of hard to follow. Looks like it was more meant to show off cool combat and weapons, which is what fans here are excited for anyway.

Last edited:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
According to an interview with a Bethesda representative in Official Xbox Magazine , as reported by Gamepur, in Fallout 4 you level up not only your character, but each individual perk they possess. Leveling up all your perks would mean climbing up 275 seperate XP levels, which would be a tremendously difficult and lengthy task, so you’ll probably need to pick what you’re going to favour and then stick with those.

This means that Fallout 4’s options for leveling up will be greatly expanded beyond previous games in the series. The game is due for release on November 10 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.
I didn't played the previous game, but if they decide to go more hardcore friendly, instead of casuals, sure I will be happy about that:)

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Yup. I watched a video during Gamescon that one of the devs pretty much said you'd have to level up 275 times to do everything. That's insane.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
The last 75 to 25 percent of levels.. I figure they'll take a longer time to achieve.. Maybe it's better to start new characters over and over if you want to try everything?

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
I wouldn't want to learn all perks on one character. The perks I choose are well thought out and help support the theme/rp I'm going for with each new vault dweller.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6472237]The last 75 to 25 percent of levels.. I figure they'll take a longer time to achieve.. Maybe it's better to start new characters over and over if you want to try everything?[/QUOTE]

Leveling up all your perks would mean climbing up 275 seperate XP levels, which would be a tremendously difficult and lengthy task, so you’ll probably need to pick what you’re going to favour and then stick with those.
It seems it is, but we all know we are gonna go for that :snicker

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6472267]You'll definitely run out of missions and quests before reaching 'level cap '[/QUOTE]

I am ok to do a few runs if it is worth the trouble.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6472267]You'll definitely run out of missions and quests before reaching 'level cap '[/QUOTE]

Dynamic quest like skyrim I'm sure. No competition for you! Mwahahaha!

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Also the mods adding affectingly infinite content to play will keep players busy for a long time.

I still wonder how that will work on consoles. It's really good news to hear but I worry after the paid Skyrim mods fiasco on Steam a for months ago Bethesda will put up paywalls for the console players.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Are they definitely coming to PS4? I haven't really seen anyone confirm it. All I've heard is it's probably coming after the beginning of the year.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
They said mods would be on consoles at E3.

I'm interested to see how modding takes off and how they chose what comes over. Obviously it won't be graphical mods or massive gameplay tweaks (they can drain a lot of performance) but I think it'll be things which won't effect performance. Like skins or maybe user quests with in game assets?

TapaTalking from my Mind.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Yeah it won't be much major. I'm guessing they will have to submit stuff for approval to Bethesda. So there are issues that could arise.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Post-launch feature introduction is really great to hear. Its a nice way to help give additional interest and longevity to the game yet doesn't particularly require a lot of work on the developer's part. The little changes they added to Skyrim after it release really made the game feel more polished. You also have to give Bethesda major props for bringing mods to consoles.

I still worry they'll bring back paid mods.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
They won't bring back paid mods , pc gamers are not lazy ass idiots like console gamers, they clearly showed that to us.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
They can bring it back for consoles though. Push the 'approved, console-working mods' onto Bethesda's service, add pricing mods as an option for authors, let the $$$ roll in. Console gamers are already used to overpaying for content and these flashy new mods will dazzle many of them into paying.

PC gamers had free mods for decades, that was the status quo. Bethesda stuck its dick in our honey pot and we hated it. We punched back and they backed off. But for consoles mods are a new thing, and if those priced mods are there on day one it'll be the accepted norm by those communities.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Bethesda should enable 'console' commands on the console versions. It's fucking annoying when you hit progression bugs when all it takes is a simple 'SetStage' command to rectify.

Still trying to figure out what kind of 'mod' the console versions will be capable of running. You can get some mods for the Creation Engine that require a few edits to the performance settings to look a certain way. Other times you can get some script mods that have a definite impact on frame-rate; those mods are almost unacceptable since Fallout 4 will run at 30fps for console.