[OT] Fallout 4

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6484649]Wow! Just realized X1 gets F3 for free as a preorder bonus. PS4 gets a drumrolllllll.....a theme. What kind of shit is this![/QUOTE]

That's because Fallout 3 is backwards compatible on the X1 where as PS4 has no backwards compatibility so therefor the same deal cannot be offered.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="shinoff2183, post: 6484828]https://bethesda.net/data/images/event/41/full/15.jpg

Fallout 4 artwork. Looks like a nuka cola gun. I wonder what the chance its in game.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it would make an appearance as an actual gun, from everything I've seen it's just an advertisement thing like the calendar.

[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6484829]That's because Fallout 3 is backwards compatible on the X1 where as PS4 has no backwards compatibility so therefor the same deal cannot be offered.[/QUOTE]

Also, even if giving PS4 players Fallout 3 was possible, I think Microsoft has the marketing deal with Fallout?

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
They 'could' port the 360 version. But MS are retrofitting it with BC instead. So why bother.

NEWS UPDATE: I pre-ordered a copy for my Xbox as well :p

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
So there's a thread on GAF with PS4 screenshots if anyone is craving info.

You can definitely tell it's on their usual engine. If you've seen either of the first two trailers, the screenshot below in spoiler tags should be something you've seen before, but figured I'd hide it just in case anyone is trying to remain free of any media.

And one more of the Red Rocket gas station where you first encounter the dog from the trailer.

EDIT: Oh, and it should be pointed out that those are jpg, so compressed. If you look through that thread you'll see much better looking shots. This one, for example.

Just don't want to post ones that might spoil it for some (and also myself, as I'm trying to quickly look at screenshots and mostly read comments there).

Last edited:

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
At least the textures are much better. That was always the noisy unattractive part of the visuals. The jagged edges aren't near as prominent as before.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
Many people in that GAF thread are basically screaming wurst graphicz evar!!1. I mean, it's not the most beautiful game but Fallout games aren't about that. We know textures and shadows are going to be off (compared to other games) and that LOD isn't going to be fantastic. But I'm happy with what I see. Also happy with what I hear, which is that it's running very smooth, which is something a Fallout game has never been on Playstation.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Honestly if anyone thought this game would have great graphics they were out their mind. Not giving Them a pass for lackluster graphics but all their games are nothing special to look at. But they offer an exploration experience that isnt even closely matched by anyone. Graphics do not make a game. The Order is still probably the prettiest game to date that I've witnessed and there wasn't much meat to that imo. Hell just look art indie games. I hate how so many people harp on graphics yet they don't make or break a game experience as a whole. Just icing on the cake. If the cake still taste great who gives a shit if it looks sloppy.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
A few people brought up The Order on GAF about how graphics don't make the game, then people went crazy saying we should have the best graphics and gameplay. That thread is basically the reason I hardly post over there or even bother to lurk... too many ridiculous statements and crazy people (as well as way too much meme'ing).

If you want Fallout 4 to have super amazing graphics... go spend $800-$1,200 on a PC and mod the crap out of it. That's what so awesome about this game. It's really fun and looks good, but you also have the freedom to download texture packs (I doubt those will be on console) and make the game look that much better. Personally, I think the game looks great. Of course it might be able to look better, but I'm more than happy with how it looks.

I'm also really, really anxious for release to get here now. That's how happy I am with the screenshots I'm seeing.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
It could have looked like F3 and i would have been just as excited in all honesty. I played NV a month back and i wasn't put of by the graphics after being spoiled with ps4. All about the experience. Is a total package with both better yes but I'd gladly take a great gameplay over graphics any day. I for one am salivating for the 10th.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
I have to feel a bit bad for some people, particularly those who say Fallout 4 looks horrible. People are just crazy. There are people who think that Bethesda released the PNG screenshots after the initial JPG shots were posted. The only thing I can say I'm disappointed about is the size of the HUD, but that's something we've known for a while. Would like it more if it were closer to the edge of the screen.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
People growing up today are spoiled shitstains that need to understand how games have gotten where they have in 30 years. Once upon a time, PS1 3D graphics actually wowed people. Some still do.

@Scheller: I don't think those screenshots spoil anything that hasn't been seen in the trailers already. If so, then you are on media blackout and shouldn't even be in here, lol.

Looking back on Fallout 3, this game looks like it has made two generational leaps. And honestly, us fans of the series, like Freak said, wouldn't mind Fallout 3 graphics at this point.

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6485489]People growing up today are spoiled shitstains that need to understand how games have gotten where they have in 30 years. Once upon a time, PS1 3D graphics actually wowed people. Some still do.[/QUOTE]

Do you want some tweezers to pull the splinters from your backside with all that fence sitting there K2D? ;)

As it happens I do agree with you, I remember when more than 2 colours on screen was a gaming innovation. (Yes I am that old! )

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
My bums' fine, thank you Arnold, it's my stomach that's upset. Upset by all the PC-elitist and graphics-svines of the world.

2-colors, does that include black & white, lol? Cause the game still isn't that old.

Damn, we're so CLOSE to the 10th..!

Last edited:

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6485489]People growing up today are spoiled $#@!stains that need to understand how games have gotten where they have in 30 years. Once upon a time, PS1 3D graphics actually wowed people. Some still do.

@Scheller: I don't think those screenshots spoil anything that hasn't been seen in the trailers already. If so, then you are on media blackout and shouldn't even be in here, lol.

Looking back on Fallout 3, this game looks like it has made two generational leaps. And honestly, us fans of the series, like Freak said, wouldn't mind Fallout 3 graphics at this point.[/QUOTE]

True, but people get tempted and end up places they shouldn't be. Figured I'd give them a chance to not see those screens.

Most complaints I've seen about graphics are the types of complaints I'd see from PCMR, in which case I'd classify them as drivel and trolling. The game looks good. If you can't see that then I feel sorry for you (not you, obviously).

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
My only major complaint with Bethesda's titles were addressed with Skyrim; A dynamic animation system where characters responded to surrounding geometry.... None of that robot walk up mountains crap from Oblivion.

Agree that people expecting Fallout to somehow revolutionize gamings standard in visuals are being asinine, and have probably never played a Fallout game before.

My only visual complaint is with the way Bethesda render the terrain textures. I would've hoped they leveraged id techs virtual texture tools and created a renderer that allowed them to use it in conjunction with their current texture streaming work. In one of the pics Scheller posted you can still see the hideous way they handle texture LOD - With pristine textures up close, tiled textures in the distance, and a rubbish map (that's not what it's called but it's what i call it) for the very far stuff. Virtual textures have a static quality no matter the distance which would greatly improve the looks of vistas, but sacrifice quality up close.....and Fallout has never had the best 'up-close' texture work to begin with.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
I figure one of these days Bethesda will surprise us with a new engine. That or closing shop.

Ps. I for one love the Bethesda chunk :p

Last edited:

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6485566]My only major complaint with Bethesda's titles were addressed with Skyrim; A dynamic animation system where characters responded to surrounding geometry.... None of that robot walk up mountains crap from Oblivion.

Agree that people expecting Fallout to somehow revolutionize gamings standard in visuals are being asinine, and have probably never played a Fallout game before.

My only visual complaint is with the way Bethesda render the terrain textures. I would've hoped they leveraged id techs virtual texture tools and created a renderer that allowed them to use it in conjunction with their current texture streaming work. In one of the pics Scheller posted you can still see the hideous way they handle texture LOD - With pristine textures up close, tiled textures in the distance, and a rubbish map (that's not what it's called but it's what i call it) for the very far stuff. Virtual textures have a static quality no matter the distance which would greatly improve the looks of vistas, but sacrifice quality up close.....and Fallout has never had the best 'up-close' texture work to begin with.[/QUOTE]

And with how often you see far distances in TES/Fallout games, you'd think they would make an engine that makes far off areas look better than they do now. The LOD is always pretty awful and assume it'll be many years before that's addressed. Hopefully when we get our hands on the game there's at least a noticeable difference from previous games.

To think, this is the same engine than ran Morrowind back in 2002. They really need to just create their own that they'll use for TES/Fallout games.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6485568]I figure one of these days Bethesda will surprise us with a new engine. That or closing shop.

Ps. I for one love the Bethesda chunk :p[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="Scheller, post: 6485587]And with how often you see far distances in TES/Fallout games, you'd think they would make an engine that makes far off areas look better than they do now. The LOD is always pretty awful and assume it'll be many years before that's addressed. Hopefully when we get our hands on the game there's at least a noticeable difference from previous games.

To think, this is the same engine than ran Morrowind back in 2002. They really need to just create their own that they'll use for TES/Fallout games.[/QUOTE]
To be fair, their engine is pretty epic truth be told. Yeah, it doesn't have a thousand deely boppers, and fantastical lighting hoopla's, but the behind the scenes work that the engine does is remarkable, more so than any modern engine!

Most of today's engines have really long and complex shader algorithms and render pipelines, and that's fine, but they don't do what the Creation Engine does which is track 'people' (for want of a better word). Not only track them, simulate their movements, needs, and reactions to events happening around them. Contrary to the work most modern engines do, The Creation Engine still leans heavily on its CPU to do actual workloads, where modern engines only see the CPU as a means to feed the GPU (i'm taking liberties with that statement).

For example, in Oblivion, there were NPC's who would, at their fancy, move from one town to the next (and die to the local wildlife, which was kinda annoying :/) - While you (the player) are doing whatever it is you are doing, John Doe was fighting for his life on the other side of the map trying to fend off a pack of wolves. And therin lies the magic that is the Creation Engine. The world it tracks, is by and large, random and you would chance upon the body of John Doe if you followed his route between cities.

As it stands, one of the biggest issues for The Creation Engine is its memory management. The sheer volume of number crunching, and data streaming it has to contend with, while facilitating the players whim is remarkable. Most of the issues with Skyrim (for example) were down to the way the game engine streamed data, and requested new memory pools - Wherein the engine would trip up when a new empty pool was assigned (having nothing in it, or a piece of data split between in both pools).

If hUMA on console was actually implemented, i suspect Bethesda would have looked really closely at the tech. Allowing the CPU and GPU to work with the same bits of data would be right up their alley. However, Consoles still have HSA, which probably explains why Fallout 4 is actually rocking some pretty nifty render techniques ;)

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Yeah them amount that they run in that engine is very impressive. Considering it has to keep up with all those npcs over the course of the whole map because they are ever changing. At least they were in Skyrim.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6485637]For example, in Oblivion, there were NPC's who would, at their fancy, move from one town to the next (and die to the local wildlife, which was kinda annoying :/) - While you (the player) are doing whatever it is you are doing, John Doe was fighting for his life on the other side of the map trying to fend off a pack of wolves. And therin lies the magic that is the Creation Engine. The world it tracks, is by and large, random and you would chance upon the body of John Doe if you followed his route between cities.[/QUOTE]

On Oblivion for the Xbox 360, back in 2007~ or so, I was on a mission to assassinate a character, and to my bewilderment every so often the quest marker would change somewhere else. I checked the map and would see the character was outside of town, or in another town entirely. I first thought they were teleporting, but when running to their current destination and checking the map regularly I realized they were actually walking around the town and then also leaving. I eventually met them on the road traveling elsewhere. It was a surreal moment of respect for what Bethesda had managed to accomplish.

There are other moments like when I followed a normal citizen in the Imperial City, and saw that the NPCs really do have schedules. He went to a bar to eat, he walked around town and socialized (as robotic as the dialogue was...), and then went home to read to read before turning in for the night. It was really impressive.

But then there was a time I was walking through the fields and the courier (on a horse) came running over a hilltop being chased by a flaming minotaur. It was totally bizarre and hilarious to see and I couldn't catch up to save him. About 100 hours later in that save I found his body a mile from that spot.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6485678]On Oblivion for the Xbox 360, back in 2007~ or so, I was on a mission to assassinate a character, and to my bewilderment every so often the quest marker would change somewhere else. I checked the map and would see the character was outside of town, or in another town entirely. I first thought they were teleporting, but when running to their current destination and checking the map regularly I realized they were actually walking around the town and then also leaving. I eventually met them on the road traveling elsewhere. It was a surreal moment of respect for what Bethesda had managed to accomplish.

There are other moments like when I followed a normal citizen in the Imperial City, and saw that the NPCs really do have schedules. He went to a bar to eat, he walked around town and socialized (as robotic as the dialogue was...), and then went home to read to read before turning in for the night. It was really impressive.

But then there was a time I was walking through the fields and the courier (on a horse) came running over a hilltop being chased by a flaming minotaur. It was totally bizarre and hilarious to see and I couldn't catch up to save him. About 100 hours later in that save I found his body a mile from that spot.[/QUOTE]
I remember that mission. That was scripted though.. Something about a tax collector or a sergeant making expections around different towns.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
I don't think it was a Dark Brotherhood quest, I checked the wiki and none of them seem familiar. The target was a female hunter-type of character. I remember her traveling from Cheydinhal to Leyawiin a lot.

In her case she only existed for this assassination, but I still thought it was impressive. The game definitely keeps track of every NPC, you can see if whenever your quest target is an NPC and they actually move around the towns even when you're on the other end of the map.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Ah, good old Radiant AI..! I thought they thoroughly watered that aspect down since the pre oblivion demo.

Last edited:

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6485637]To be fair, their engine is pretty epic truth be told. Yeah, it doesn't have a thousand deely boppers, and fantastical lighting hoopla's, but the behind the scenes work that the engine does is remarkable, more so than any modern engine!

Most of today's engines have really long and complex shader algorithms and render pipelines, and that's fine, but they don't do what the Creation Engine does which is track 'people' (for want of a better word). Not only track them, simulate their movements, needs, and reactions to events happening around them. Contrary to the work most modern engines do, The Creation Engine still leans heavily on its CPU to do actual workloads, where modern engines only see the CPU as a means to feed the GPU (i'm taking liberties with that statement).

For example, in Oblivion, there were NPC's who would, at their fancy, move from one town to the next (and die to the local wildlife, which was kinda annoying :/) - While you (the player) are doing whatever it is you are doing, John Doe was fighting for his life on the other side of the map trying to fend off a pack of wolves. And therin lies the magic that is the Creation Engine. The world it tracks, is by and large, random and you would chance upon the body of John Doe if you followed his route between cities.

As it stands, one of the biggest issues for The Creation Engine is its memory management. The sheer volume of number crunching, and data streaming it has to contend with, while facilitating the players whim is remarkable. Most of the issues with Skyrim (for example) were down to the way the game engine streamed data, and requested new memory pools - Wherein the engine would trip up when a new empty pool was assigned (having nothing in it, or a piece of data split between in both pools).

If hUMA on console was actually implemented, i suspect Bethesda would have looked really closely at the tech. Allowing the CPU and GPU to work with the same bits of data would be right up their alley. However, Consoles still have HSA, which probably explains why Fallout 4 is actually rocking some pretty nifty render techniques ;)[/QUOTE]

I don't really mean to call the engine bad, but since they almost certainly have many more Fallout and TES games planned... I would think they would want to make a more "modern" one. One that can do all the stuff the current one does and more. Of course, I admittedly know next to nothing about all this. The games are certainly impressive on many fronts, but the LOD stuff, textures, and lighting always seem to be "lacking" when compared to other games.

But on the other hand, at least staying with essentially the same thing from game-to-game should help modders, and we continue to see them on PC making the game look great. Just wish we could get a console release without that poor looking LOD once you go past a relatively short distance.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
Really trying my hardest not to go through leaks. I can easily stay away from story spoilers, perk stuff, map size, and other [new] gameplay aspects... it's the videos and pictures of general stuff that tempts me. Thankfully all the idiocy in the Reddit and GAF areas where those leaks are present is helping me to keep my distance. I've heard people claim that the Fallout 4 PC version is "literally terrible". It's easy to tell the grown adults and the little kids, if I had a magic lamp I'd wish them all back to the early 90s so they'd have to live through gaming graphics up to the current point.

I think tomorrow or Thursday I'll be officially pre-ordering the game. Probably tomorrow as it'll make a nice birthday gift.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Scheller, post: 6486011]Really trying my hardest not to go through leaks. I can easily stay away from story spoilers, perk stuff, map size, and other [new] gameplay aspects... it's the videos and pictures of general stuff that tempts me. Thankfully all the idiocy in the Reddit and GAF areas where those leaks are present is helping me to keep my distance. I've heard people claim that the Fallout 4 PC version is "literally terrible". It's easy to tell the grown adults and the little kids, if I had a magic lamp I'd wish them all back to the early 90s so they'd have to live through gaming graphics up to the current point.

I think tomorrow or Thursday I'll be officially pre-ordering the game. Probably tomorrow as it'll make a nice birthday gift.[/QUOTE]

Fight it! It's Only a week away. Who knows if its bad on PC. Not going to effect me as I'll be playing on PS4.