[OT] Horizon Forbidden West

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
The reviews are in. Looking pretty decent.

I went and checked Eurogamer as well. I still recall them giving ZD a hard time, then turning around and giving Odyssey a bloody medal. Lo and behold, they've put FW under asinine levels of scrutiny, but Valhalla was a hard recommend. I swear, some of their staff are so far up themselves...

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
The reviews are in. Looking pretty decent.

I went and checked Eurogamer as well. I still recall them giving ZD a hard time, then turning around and giving Odyssey a bloody medal. Lo and behold, they've put FW under asinine levels of scrutiny, but Valhalla was a hard recommend. I swear, some of their staff are so far up themselves...
Yeah, I really don't understand some reviewers. I mean, you don't have to like the game, but some of the critiques some have are just plain wierd to me, especially when they give other games a pass for the same things.

Here's some more, including a tech review from IGN/NX Gamer.

Horizon Forbidden West PS5 Review: Red Head Redemption (Push Square)

Horizon Forbidden West - Easy Allies Review

Horizon: Forbidden West – PS5 vs PS4 Pro vs PS4 Performance Review | A Technical marvel (IGN/NX Gamer)

Apart from some bugs and glitches, this game looks like it's going to be amazing, imo.

I just hope that there's no problems with me getting the game on friday (I pre-ordered it on disc). I really hope there's no hickup with either the (online) retailer or our postal system here.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass (DF)

Man, the amount of detail is quite impressive, imo. After what was said in this video, I don't know if I should play the game in fidelity mode or performance mode. I was pretty much set on playing this in performance mode if the difference in fidelity wasn't too big, but now I don't know.

Sep 10, 2005
Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass (DF)

Man, the amount of detail is quite impressive, imo. After what was said in this video, I don't know if I should play the game in fidelity mode or performance mode. I was pretty much set on playing this in performance mode if the difference in fidelity wasn't too big, but now I don't know.
I dont think that the difference is that big,aside from resolution /"sharpness" the game settings from what they said,is a like to like.I think a tad more sharpness on the TV side will "solve" it.I will try both along with the Ps4 version,i have both preloaded.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Yeah, I really don't understand some reviewers. I mean, you don't have to like the game, but some of the critiques some have are just plain wierd to me, especially when they give other games a pass for the same things.
Yeah, kinda why i prefer shillup's reviews (at least as a good middle ground). Even if he doesn't like it, he'll still give it its dues from the perspective of someone who would like it, like Resident Evil Village iirc.
Be strong, don't give in to the dark side (the scalpers). ;)
I dunno, we got months long waiting lists down our end of the world... everyone got their limits :ROFLMAO:

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I dont think that the difference is that big,aside from resolution /"sharpness" the game settings from what they said,is a like to like.I think a tad more sharpness on the TV side will "solve" it.I will try both along with the Ps4 version,i have both preloaded.
Well, I'll probably try both modes too. But I'm definitely gonna use the fidelity mode for screenshots/wallpapers.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Yeah, kinda why i prefer shillup's reviews (at least as a good middle ground). Even if he doesn't like it, he'll still give it its dues from the perspective of someone who would like it, like Resident Evil Village iirc.
I don't always agree with Skill Up, but he always explains why he does or doesn't like something. That makes it easy to tell if I'm going to like it or not.

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Be strong, don't give in to the dark side (the scalpers). ;)
I've been trying to get a PS5 through restock social media, discord channels, etc. since the PS5 came out. I honestly don't care at this point. Because this is just getting ridiculous. I can buy one right now for a few hundreds bucks above MSRP. It's not worth the time/effort for this continued failed journey of acquiring one.

Graphical fidelity aside, the lower frame rate would bug the crap out of me. This is the kind of game that deserves to be played the way it was intended.

Sep 10, 2005
Graphical fidelity aside, the lower frame rate would bug the crap out of me. This is the kind of game that deserves to be played the way it was intended.
Tomorrow night that the game unlocks,i will most likely not sleep at all and start playing it.I have preloaded both Ps4 and Ps5 versions just to see the differences.I will try both modes,but i don't think it will be an issue.when i'm playing dying light 2 at 1080p,and still find it sharp enough.We will see tho.Im very curious to see,if the resolution is so visible to me to prefer it in expense of FPS.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I've been trying to get a PS5 through restock social media, discord channels, etc. since the PS5 came out. I honestly don't care at this point. Because this is just getting ridiculous. I can buy one right now for a few hundreds bucks above MSRP. It's not worth the time/effort for this continued failed journey of acquiring one.

Yeah, of course. You do you. Personally I wouldn't, because it feels like they win if you (I) cave in, but it's your money. I just hate scalpers that much.

Well, I know that a lot of people prefer higher frame rate over everyting else, but I'm not one of them. If the difference in fidelity is too big I would rather go for the fidelity mode. I'm not that sensitive to lower framerates (30fps). But if there's very little difference I will of course go for the performance mode.

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Yeah, of course. You do you. Personally I wouldn't, because it feels like they win if you (I) cave in, but it's your money. I just hate scalpers that much.

Well, I know that a lot of people prefer higher frame rate over everyting else, but I'm not one of them. If the difference in fidelity is too big I would rather go for the fidelity mode. I'm not that sensitive to lower framerates (30fps). But if there's very little difference I will of course go for the performance mode.
I hate scalpers with every fiber of my being, but the inability to snag a PS5 at this point is just insane.

As for the graphics, for me, I just want to play this game as it was intended. And the PS4 versions just plain don’t look as good. The first game is probably one of my favorite games of all time, so I want to do this one justice. I played the first one in 4K HDR on a big TV and I was just utterly blown away. Can’t way to do that again.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
The first game is probably one of my favorite games of all time, so I want to do this one justice. I played the first one in 4K HDR on a big TV and I was just utterly blown away. Can’t way to do that again.
Yeah, it's one of my favourite games too. It was my favourite "exclusive" of the PS4 generation. Pretty much the only game that beat it was The Witcher 3, for me.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I just hope that there's no problems with me getting the game on friday (I pre-ordered it on disc). I really hope there's no hickup with either the (online) retailer or our postal system here.
I got the game in the mail today, so I guess I know what I will be playing the upcoming weeks. :)

Sep 10, 2005
Well I may have just bought a PS5 and a 75” Samsung Neo QLED TV.
You did good,i just tried both Ps5/ps4 versions of the game.And both look amazing to be honest....How on earth is Ps4 capable to look that good.

I got the game in the mail today, so I guess I know what I will be playing the upcoming weeks. :)

I just started the game and stopped since it too late here.I think i will play in framerate mode.There is a clarity difference but with sharpness i was able to make it look similar.Plus the super smooth 60fps (even tho 30 was also smooth enough)

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
You did good,i just tried both Ps5/ps4 versions of the game.And both look amazing to be honest....How on earth is Ps4 capable to look that good.

I just started the game and stopped since it too late here.I think i will play in framerate mode.There is a clarity difference but with sharpness i was able to make it look similar.Plus the super smooth 60fps (even tho 30 was also smooth enough)
In the DF video that Fijiandoce has posted they talk about it and show where some of the sacrifices has been made in the PS4 version. There's quite a big difference between the PS5 and PS4 version, but all versions still look good for what platform they are on.

Yeah, I might end up playing in the performance mode if the difference doesn't feel too big, but I will definitely try both.

Sep 10, 2005
In the DF video that Fijiandoce has posted they talk about it and show where some of the sacrifices has been made in the PS4 version. There's quite a big difference between the PS5 and PS4 version, but all versions still look good for what platform they are on.

Yeah, I might end up playing in the performance mode if the difference doesn't feel too big, but I will definitely try both.
Yea try both i might end up go back and forth,until i decide.There is one thing i don't like so much in resolution mode (not sure if its my TV or not) If you move teh camera around the player like seeing them from above,you can see some shimmering or not sure how to describe it.Its like the grass getting darker when you move the camera.This is less apparent at least for me in the performance mode.

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
This is probably the main reason I am dropping PC gaming for good and just sticking with consoles. Games are just highly optimized for consoles and devs like to squeeze every bit of juice out of the them that they can so you don't have to worry if their the games will run well or not. Unless you are the dumpster fire that is CD Projekt, but that is a rare occurrence.

Sep 10, 2005
This is probably the main reason I am dropping PC gaming for good and just sticking with consoles. Games are just highly optimized for consoles and devs like to squeeze every bit of juice out of the them that they can so you don't have to worry if their the games will run well or not. Unless you are the dumpster fire that is CD Projekt, but that is a rare occurrence.
For now all that i do is sightseeing,i dont want to properly start the game yet.i keep changing between Ps4 and Ps5 version.At least i managed to get to the point for the trophy,needed for Sony to plant a real tree.Its very early in the story.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
For now all that i do is sightseeing,i dont want to properly start the game yet.i keep changing between Ps4 and Ps5 version.At least i managed to get to the point for the trophy,needed for Sony to plant a real tree.Its very early in the story.
I've just reached the forbidden west, I played yesterday and a little bit today. I took my time to explore and check everything out in the first area, I hope I found everything in that area, since I don't know if you can go back there later. I've switched back forward between the fidelity mode and the performance mode and at the moment I'm leaning towards the fidelity mode. The performance mode is very smooth and nice in that way, but there's definitely more jitter and pixelated edges/small details and such in that mode.

Sep 10, 2005
I've just reached the forbidden west, I played yesterday and a little bit today. I took my time to explore and check everything out in the first area, I hope I found everything in that area, since I don't know if you can go back there later. I've switched back forward between the fidelity mode and the performance mode and at the moment I'm leaning towards the fidelity mode. The performance mode is very smooth and nice in that way, but there's definitely more jitter and pixelated edges/small details and such in that mode.
The good thing is,that fidelity mode is perfectly smooth,might not be as smooth as 60 fps but it is very playable.For the most part i will play on fidelity,cause i saw some noticeable differences,especialy in water reflections.Depending on the situation,might go back and forth,if there is a big battle that might benefit more from 60,and wont have the time to admire the scenery.Its good you can do that on the fly.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
The good thing is,that fidelity mode is perfectly smooth,might not be as smooth as 60 fps but it is very playable.For the most part i will play on fidelity,cause i saw some noticeable differences,especialy in water reflections.Depending on the situation,might go back and forth,if there is a big battle that might benefit more from 60,and wont have the time to admire the scenery.Its good you can do that on the fly.
Yeah, when you switch back and foward between the two modes (on the fly) you definitely feel and see the difference. But the fidelity mode is perfectly fine (imo), you get used to the lower frame rate after a while. And the game looks noticeably better in fidelity mode. But if you are a person that's really sensitive to lower framerates you might wanna go with the performance mode.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Aloy (Ashly Burch) plays Horizon Forbidden West. ;)

Might be concidered spoilery for some people, they show gameplay from the first (tutorial) area. They don't show that much, but just a heads up for those who don't wanna see it before playing.

Horizon Forbidden West | Ashly Burch Plays (Guerrilla Games)