[OT] Horizon: Zero Dawn

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
Anyone got tips on which armor to buy so you can take less damage? Sawtooth destroyed me in 3 hits lol. I have not been buying too many outfits because I am not sure which one is worth it at this stage. Can't get that armor in the ruins yet so I need something that is good for right now. Overall I am really loving the game and I have already put in 20 hours of just hunting, gathering, exploring and a few side quests with only about 6 main quests. I just get lost in the game so now Gravity Rush 2 has taken a backseat and NieR: Automata won't get purchased until a few months later. This is certainly best designed game I have ever played and the best game that Sony has produced as a product.

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
[QUOTE="nextgen3, post: 6526701]All well & stunning as im watching gamers play it while they stream it on youtube & twitch! i found the gameplay very boring! kill dinos with a bow an craft things in to better equipment ect dont think im gonna buy it tbh.

i think GG have took a new direction for the better, but will they ever do more Killzone games? havent bought KZ since second game i liked #2 very much.[/QUOTE]

LOL The same can be said about Ghost Recon. Very boring and games like Sniper Ghost Warrior look much better. Really, that game is just generic from what I have seen and Ubisoft is just copying and pasting from Far Cry, AC, Watch Dogs and The Division. To each his own. Anyone can judge a game from just looking, but playing is how you actually experience it. You do more than kill dinos btw and there is only a few that are actually modeled after dinosaurs. The game has other enemy types.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6526720]Such a hideous looking game. :p[/QUOTE]
I know right. I have PS2 games with better visuals.

[QUOTE="DarkNemesis, post: 6526936]Anyone got tips on which armor to buy so you can take less damage? Sawtooth destroyed me in 3 hits lol. This is certainly best designed game I have ever played and the best game that Sony has produced as a product.[/QUOTE]
Sony didn't develop the game, only published it. Guerrilla Games (developers behind the Killzone games) developed the game. There is armor in the game that reduces damage from melee attacks. You probably should use that if you find yourself in melee combat a lot and get killed in a few hits.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
You also need to scan the enemy to make sure they are not leveled up much higher than you.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="DarkNemesis, post: 6526935]That's the way the sun and light actually looks in real life. I don't know how it gets in the way as it makes things more visible and I can see far off into the distance. I wear my glasses while playing and have no issue. You actually have to look directly at the sun (like real life) to be blinded by it. I have no issue seeing anything so I am not sure what your complaint is.[/QUOTE]
It's more the way it's done that I have an issue with. How light from the setting sun bleeds down in a straight line and that you see a circular lens flare with a blue glow. It's a reminder that there's a window (camera) between the player and the game world, which can break the immersion.

I'm not saying I'm not going to be playing the game because of what the graphics team decided to add. As much as I dislike them, camera lens effects are pretty much a requisite for modern video games. Still, if I had to choose, I would want the graphics to be as clear as possible.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Absolutely blown away by this game.

Was doubtful at first about it all as I don't try to hype myself anymore (only really got hyped on Shadow of War now) and I didn't want to get this at first because I wasn't sure what to expect.
Didn't cancel my CE though and went on with it, really glad I did!

15 hours in, 33% and still going, this is definitely turning into a platinum for me :D

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6526966]Absolutely blown away by this game.

Was doubtful at first about it all as I don't try to hype myself anymore (only really got hyped on Shadow of War now) and I didn't want to get this at first because I wasn't sure what to expect.
Didn't cancel my CE though and went on with it, really glad I did!

15 hours in, 33% and still going, this is definitely turning into a platinum for me :D[/QUOTE]

Remarkable game. Just hit level 20. I'm going to sink over 100 hours into this....I feel it.

BTW....how can I tell how long I've played a game on PS4?

IWAO

Master Guru
Aug 20, 2006
Denmark, Copenhagen
twitter.com
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6526967]Remarkable game. Just hit level 20. I'm going to sink over 100 hours into this....I feel it.

BTW....how can I tell how long I've played a game on PS4?[/QUOTE]
Through the save file mate :)

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Ah! There it is. Holy crap. I've piled up 45 hours in this game and I'm only at 28%. Of course, I've spent a ton of time just battling machines.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6526979]Ah! There it is. Holy crap. I've piled up 45 hours in this game and I'm only at 28%. Of course, I've spent a ton of time just battling machines.[/QUOTE]
That doesn't surprise me. If you're playing on very hard, you can't just yolo/rambo your way through the game, which means a lot of time is going to be spent patiently waiting. That's been my experience thus far anyway.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="FinalxxSin, post: 6526982]That doesn't surprise me. If you're playing on very hard, you can't just yolo/rambo your way through the game, which means a lot of time is going to be spent patiently waiting. That's been my experience thus far anyway.[/QUOTE]

Is it just waiting or "try again"?
I did the mistake of playing Uncharted 4 on Crushing, and retry was the most clicked on option in the game. I should have chosen normal or at least hard.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I'm playing on normal myself. I'm not trying to grind. Just enjoying the combat and figuring out what weapons to use and when.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6526987]Is it just waiting or "try again"?
I did the mistake of playing Uncharted 4 on Crushing, and retry was the most clicked on option in the game. I should have chosen normal or at least hard.[/QUOTE]
More waiting. I learned quickly the rambo/yolo route would literally get me killed in 2 - 3 hits in the early parts of the game. I took a somewhat stealthy and cautious route instead when it was possible.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="FinalxxSin, post: 6527001]More waiting. I learned quickly the rambo/yolo route would literally get me killed in 2 - 3 hits in the early parts of the game. I took a somewhat stealthy and cautious route instead when it was possible.[/QUOTE]
Oh for me that's even the case on normal for me :p

I try to stealthily go in if I can/if it's clearly going to be a difficult thing to take down because I know I'll die.
I actually was really proud when I killed a stormbird the other day when I was level 24! x)

Pretty difficult though, I probably got lucky..

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="FinalxxSin, post: 6527001]More waiting. I learned quickly the rambo/yolo route would literally get me killed in 2 - 3 hits in the early parts of the game. I took a somewhat stealthy and cautious route instead when it was possible.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. I think, since there is no difficulty trophy, I'll play on normal and raise if it gets too easy.

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
[QUOTE="FinalxxSin, post: 6526938]I know right. I have PS2 games with better visuals.

Sony didn't develop the game, only published it. Guerrilla Games (developers behind the Killzone games) developed the game. There is armor in the game that reduces damage from melee attacks. You probably should use that if you find yourself in melee combat a lot and get killed in a few hits.[/QUOTE]
LOL I know who Guerrilla is as they are owned by Sony.

"Guerrilla Games is a first-party video game developer founded in 2000 from the spin-off of Lost Boys Games, based in Amsterdam, Netherlands and is wholly owned by Sony through Sony Interactive Entertainment."

They are apart of Sony like Naughty Dog so Sony developed the game.

What is the name of the armor?

Last edited:

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6526979]Ah! There it is. Holy crap. I've piled up 45 hours in this game and I'm only at 28%. Of course, I've spent a ton of time just battling machines.[/QUOTE]

I have only put in 20 and only did about 7 main missions. I am still only in the area where Devil's Thirst is. This game will monopolize my game playing time and I got NieR coming in a few days. This will get the most playing time out of any game from me on PS4. Not sure when or if I will ever finish it as I want to completely it 100%. I think I may go on the hunt for those power cells, but I know there are tougher enemies and I already avoided the shell walkers and bellow backs. I will crap my pants will I do run into a thunder jaw lol.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Here is a vid on how to get the Shield Weaver Armor. You do have to progress through the main quest a bit to get to some of the power cells.

[video=youtube;0K5I7j9DiqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K5I7j9DiqU[/video]

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="DarkNemesis, post: 6527023]LOL I know who Guerrilla is as they are owned by Sony.

"Guerrilla Games is a first-party video game developer founded in 2000 from the spin-off of Lost Boys Games, based in Amsterdam, Netherlands and is wholly owned by Sony through Sony Interactive Entertainment."

They are apart of Sony like Naughty Dog so Sony developed the game.

What is the name of the armor?[/QUOTE]
That moment when you realize another person looked at the exact same info as you did and still gets it wrong. Far as the armor goes, you can figure it out on your own since you know your information so well *coughs*.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="FinalxxSin, post: 6527041]That moment when you realize another person looked at the exact same info as you did and still gets it wrong. Far as the armor goes, you can figure it out on your own since you know your information so well *coughs*.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but it is in fact considered a first party game. Just like Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, ect.

Last edited:

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6527044]Sorry but it is in fact considered a first party game. Just like Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, ect.[/QUOTE]
The game being a first party game isn't the topic Lethal. It's about who developed said title. This is a pretty simple concept, but I'll give an example to clarify my point that I have already made:

Let's say Christopher is the head of a company and you(Lethal) and Brandon both work for. By contract, anything either of you create can not be used outside the company without Christopher's permission. Lethal for example focuses on action genre IPs while Brandon focuses fighting game IPs. Christopher publishes the products, and may even help fund them, but at the end of the day Christopher is playing no active role in the development process itself other than possibly setting a few guidelines to follow (e.g. time limit). The development work is coming down to what Lethal and Brandon do themselves. When the products are complete, Brandon and/or Lethal are going to be credited as the developer of said product. Christopher ofc will be credited with publishing the product. Only if Christopher were to help develop an IP (e.g. create the story, battle system, lore, etc. etc.) would Christopher be accredited as a developer as well.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Let's not get too wrapped up on this. Sony owns Guerilla. Guerilla developed the game. DarkNemesis lauded this as a Sony "produced" game. Not to speak for him, but I think he meant that as in first party game.

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6527047]Let's not get too wrapped up on this. Sony owns Guerilla. Guerilla developed the game. DarkNemesis lauded this as a Sony "produced" game. Not to speak for him, but I think he meant that as in first party game.[/QUOTE]

LOL right. Sony owns GG. GG is apart of Sony so they are one in the same. How can Sony make games without having developers they own? Well that's it for this discussion for me.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Sony says make this game. Developer asks Sony if they can make this game. Either way, it is Sony approving the game and funding it.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
So.. I need to ask.
Am I the only one who literally runs the whole game instead of using mounts? I literally couldn't be bothered yet to mount anything and just felt like enjoying the game more, running around and using the fast travel backpacks.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6527129]So.. I need to ask.
Am I the only one who literally runs the whole game instead of using mounts? I literally couldn't be bothered yet to mount anything and just felt like enjoying the game more, running around and using the fast travel backpacks.[/QUOTE]

I never use mounts. I am always picking up plants and branches.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6527132]I never use mounts. I am always picking up plants and branches.[/QUOTE]
Thank god I'm not the only one!