[OT] Horizon: Zero Dawn

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
The gathering aspect of the game reminds me of Dragon Age Inquisition. Maybe it's because of the UI involved *shrugs*, and the combat reminds me of the rebooted Tomb Raider games.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="FinalxxSin, post: 6527148]The gathering aspect of the game reminds me of Dragon Age Inquisition. Maybe it's because of the UI involved *shrugs*, and the combat reminds me of the rebooted Tomb Raider games.[/QUOTE]

Tomb Raider falls very short in ways to take out your enemies.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Fuck me doodles I finished the storyline and god damn that last part of the story though! Loved it. I did feel like it was a bit slow and.. I guess I can say boring at the beginning.. But more towards the end, loved it!
Currently at 67% for platinum, nearly there!

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
7 more trophies to go..
And of course they're a pain in the arse >.<

Basically I just need to earn a Blazing Sun mark in all trials at all of the Hunting Grounds and then I can continue with 2 more trophies which in turn will likely give me level 50 and thus give me the final trophy.
They couldn't have made those trials thing a little easier... ;-;

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6527129]So.. I need to ask.
Am I the only one who literally runs the whole game instead of using mounts? I literally couldn't be bothered yet to mount anything and just felt like enjoying the game more, running around and using the fast travel backpacks.[/QUOTE]

I use mounts for travel and combat. I love how the mount runs over anything in it's path. I like running over boars and weaker machines lol. This is something unique since mounts in games outside of the 2d games like Golden Axe and Dragon's Crown don't have mounts that are useful in battle. I still need to override a broad head and see how much damage it does. I have spent hours just running around and still only did about 7 main quests and you have already finished? I will finish it one day.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="DarkNemesis, post: 6527229]I use mounts for travel and combat. I love how the mount runs over anything in it's path. I like running over boars and weaker machines lol. This is something unique since mounts in games outside of the 2d games like Golden Axe and Dragon's Crown don't have mounts that are useful in battle. I still need to override a broad head and see how much damage it does. I have spent hours just running around and still only did about 7 main quests and you have already finished? I will finish it one day.[/QUOTE]

I barely even used override on any machines.. Just purely for the trophies! :lol:

Have to say though - I'm nearly 50 game hours in.
I noticed the savegame says a certain amount of hours but it can't be realistic gaming hours you've put in.. I don't think I've put in 50 hours in real life, I think it might be an in game clock or something?

Just these trophies left for me and I'll have it platinum;

All trophies obtained
Obtained all Horizon Zero Dawn trophies.

All Suns at all Grounds
Earned at least a Half Sun mark in all trials at all of the Hunting Grounds.
Blazing Suns at all Grounds
Earned a Blazing Sun mark in all trials at all of the Hunting Grounds.
All allies joined
Given Aloy's actions, all possible optional allies joined the defense.
Hunted Redmaw with Talanah
Rose through the ranks of the Hunters Lodge and helped Talanah defeat Redmaw.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6527236]Saw this on FB. 

Horizon Zero Dawn advert feat Edinburgh Castle outside Edinburgh Castle.

[/QUOTE]
That's really cool. Not only is the promotional artwork beautiful but it's cleverly placed too.

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6527239]I barely even used override on any machines.. Just purely for the trophies! :lol:

Have to say though - I'm nearly 50 game hours in.
I noticed the savegame says a certain amount of hours but it can't be realistic gaming hours you've put in.. I don't think I've put in 50 hours in real life, I think it might be an in game clock or something?

Just these trophies left for me and I'll have it platinum;

All trophies obtained
Obtained all Horizon Zero Dawn trophies.

All Suns at all Grounds
Earned at least a Half Sun mark in all trials at all of the Hunting Grounds.
Blazing Suns at all Grounds
Earned a Blazing Sun mark in all trials at all of the Hunting Grounds.
All allies joined
Given Aloy's actions, all possible optional allies joined the defense.
Hunted Redmaw with Talanah
Rose through the ranks of the Hunters Lodge and helped Talanah defeat Redmaw.[/QUOTE]

All games go by actual time the game is on. that's when you load your save file and the game is running, except when paused. It does not mean story time. I put in over 20 hours in Uncharted 4 when the average time people said it took to complete it was about 15. I never just go straight through a game. I enjoy every moment of it.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Just got all the blazing suns from the hunting trials and the special gear. Those hunting trials are a lot of fun. The last one, I had to override two ravagers and help them take down a thunderjaw. That was just crazy shit. lol

oh....and hey, Wax. There is a free theme for anyone who gets plat on Horizon.

http://www.thebitbag.com/horizon-zero-dawn-platinum-theme/230819

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6527270]Just got all the blazing suns from the hunting trials and the special gear. Those hunting trials are a lot of fun. The last one, I had to override two ravagers and help them take down a thunderjaw. That was just crazy shit. lol

oh....and hey, Wax. There is a free theme for anyone who gets plat on Horizon.

http://www.thebitbag.com/horizon-zero-dawn-platinum-theme/230819[/QUOTE]
Ehhh not a fan really..
I only really love the Firewatch theme.

Nonetheless, fun platinum though!
I did expect the trials to be more difficult.. But actually they weren't that hard o,o
The thunderjaw kill was quite easy.. Just get the 2 ravagers overridden and take tearaway arrows onto the disc cannons of the Tjaw.
Let the ravagers do their thing and you use the disc cannons.. In no time it's down :p

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
95 hours in. Only thing I don't like about this game are the cauldrons. Damn things are poorly designed. Hard to navigate. And that last one was just a damn bitch. But all done with all those.....so back to the hunting lodge.

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
Finally made it to the desert but not ready to progress through to meridian yet as I need to equip better gear and level up all my satchels.
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6527317]95 hours in. Only thing I don't like about this game are the cauldrons. Damn things are poorly designed. Hard to navigate. And that last one was just a damn $#@!. But all done with all those.....so back to the hunting lodge.[/QUOTE]
I just completed the first cauldron and thought it was a highlight of the game and well done, but are the rest different in comparison? The first was not hard to navigate so I am guessing the other cauldrons get confusing?

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="DarkNemesis, post: 6527322]Finally made it to the desert but not ready to progress through to meridian yet as I need to equip better gear and level up all my satchels.

I just completed the first cauldron and thought it was a highlight of the game and well done, but are the rest different in comparison? The first was not hard to navigate so I am guessing the other cauldrons get confusing?[/QUOTE]

Yeah.....on reflection, the first couple were not that bad. The last couple just had me walking in circles trying to figure out how where to go. I died a couple of times trying to jump across to places I couldn't jump to. Just trying to figure out where to go. Of course.....might just be me.

Nov 11, 2013
not only is it gorgeous and well written but damn it is long!

I'm at 60% completion and if I remove the few moments I played around with robots going from point A to B and some flowers and cups collecting I'm at a solid 30 hours even with using fast travels a lot

Only gripe with the game would be transitioning in and out of cut scenes is very abrupt

Last edited:

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Just finished the game. Just an awesome game. Has to be my favorite this gen.

I'm one trophy away from a platinum. I missed the one from the proving. sigh.....will have to replay to that point and make sure i get it. Want that plat!

Edit: Ugh. It is so hard to play other games now. They look like crap compared to HZD.

Last edited:
Completed the game on the hardest difficulty in about 65 hours, and 2 trophies short of Plat (one of them is hidden, so I have no idea what it is, and the other one is smacking the 23 stupid Grazer dummies). Maybe I'll come back to it one day and Plat it, but I don't play games for trophies, so I really don't care that much (I have the trophy notification disabled, so I don't even know when I earn a trophy until I look at the trophy list after the fact).

Great game with phenomenal graphics, and really enjoyed the story development--in fact, the whole idea behind HADES made me think about redundancy systems in real life and appreciate my line of work (programming distributed systems). When all else fails... well, finishing that sentence would be a spoiler ;)!

I don't have much complaints other than the fact that some machines are excruciatingly annoying to fight (Glinthawks, usually). They're not hard, since they barely do any damage as it's easy to dodge their ice blasts... but flying enemies are just so darn annoying! Even though I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and I have low health, I love rambo'ing and smacking enemy machines until they die (or I die--though the latter is a much rarer occurrence :p).

Also nearing the end of the game, the variety of machines dwindle and it becomes more of a chore than anything to engage them in fights; I mean, 65 hours is a lot of time to spend fighting the same two dozen enemy types...

Christopher said:
Edit: Ugh. It is so hard to play other games now. They look like crap compared to HZD.
Hahahaha... yep, exactly how I feel. Nier Automata? Ugh... so bland :(.

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
[QUOTE="The_One, post: 6528458]Completed the game on the hardest difficulty in about 65 hours, and 2 trophies short of Plat (one of them is hidden, so I have no idea what it is, and the other one is smacking the 23 stupid Grazer dummies). Maybe I'll come back to it one day and Plat it, but I don't play games for trophies, so I really don't care that much (I have the trophy notification disabled, so I don't even know when I earn a trophy until I look at the trophy list after the fact).

Great game with phenomenal graphics, and really enjoyed the story development--in fact, the whole idea behind HADES made me think about redundancy systems in real life and appreciate my line of work (programming distributed systems). When all else fails... well, finishing that sentence would be a spoiler ;)!

I don't have much complaints other than the fact that some machines are excruciatingly annoying to fight (Glinthawks, usually). They're not hard, since they barely do any damage as it's easy to dodge their ice blasts... but flying enemies are just so darn annoying! Even though I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and I have low health, I love rambo'ing and smacking enemy machines until they die (or I die--though the latter is a much rarer occurrence :p).

Also nearing the end of the game, the variety of machines dwindle and it becomes more of a chore than anything to engage them in fights; I mean, 65 hours is a lot of time to spend fighting the same two dozen enemy types...

Hahahaha... yep, exactly how I feel. Nier Automata? Ugh... so bland :(.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same after playing Horizon for 90 hours and though I beat the main story I am still playing the extra stuff. The controls and character movement compared to HZD is a pain too now that I can focus more on NieR. It feels like I am playing a PS2 game and really shows you the gap between Sony's developers and most third party these days. Back on the PSX and PS2 they were equal, but since the PS3 there is a clear separation when it comes to game design and polish. This is why first party games are important. Anyway, the ending was interesting and sets up for a sequel.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I just finished the game last night and clocked in at about 110 hours playtime. I loved this game so much that I tried to do everything there was to do in the game, and I even got the platinum trophy. Now I can't wait for the DLC to drop. This game is definitely a GotY contender imo.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Bought this game at the weekend and all I have to say is OH MY GOD IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Takes full advantage of the PS4 Pro and a 4K HDR TV and it plays really well too, managed to get used to the controls faily quickly and although I only played up until the hunting training at the beginning it's already made me want to come back for more!

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
The game is a clear 8/10 for me. There is absolutely zero interesting character in the whole game except Aloy. Only have some love for Rost. there is zero interesting side story, opening maybe? I loved the game play, liked to read/watch about GAIA. The developer needs some good writers and they are done. ND level of studio they may become.

Feb 2, 2016
US
I beta tested this game last month for sony as part of a market research project. All i can say is UNBELIEVABLE. Cant wait to get it

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Put a couple of hours into The Frozen Wild. So far it is great. Really more of the same but with some newer dino-machines. Love this franchise. Best new IP this gen, imo.