[OT] Just Cause 3

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
[QUOTE="XperienZ, post: 6490744]
The load times though are a BIG problem... The last couple of times I've stopped playing completely have all been because I was SICK of waiting! It just detracts from the whole ethos of the game itself... One minute you're driving like a mad man with a bomb attached to a 4x4... Next minute you're sitting staring at a screen knowing you'll probably be looking at it for waaaaaaaay too long. [/QUOTE]
when loads start taking to long, have tried saving and quiting out of the game altogether to clean out the memory and then restarting from that save?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I have been watching some streams last night. Didn't notice issues with frames or screen tearing.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
[QUOTE="skenn5150, post: 6490857]Watched someone streaming the PS4 version last night for about 30 min and didn't notice any graphical issues. Load times were about as bad as Fallout 4 and Destiny, so nothing we haven't already experienced.[/QUOTE]
But don't wish to experience again :snicker

Sent from 2000ft under the crust

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6490870]I have been watching some streams last night. Didn't notice issues with frames or screen tearing.[/QUOTE]
That video you posted in the op didn't have any..
I call bullshit

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

XperienZ

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2007
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="Yungstar 2006, post: 6490859]when loads start taking to long, have tried saving and quiting out of the game altogether to clean out the memory and then restarting from that save?[/QUOTE]

Thought I'd come back and give a quick update on this... The first time a challenge loads up it takes just a few seconds, it only takes a lot longer when you want to restart a challenge or if you want to quit out of it completely and return to the open world. I'm not sure if its just me but playing it when the servers aren't constantly kicking me off seems to have improved the wait times pretty significantly so maybe the long loads are related to overloaded servers. The game has an offline mode when you get disconnected from the server, but its never proper offline, at least not while I'm logged in to PSN - it will randomly decide to try and reconnect, pausing the game while it does so and that has happened once or twice during a pretty intense gun fight. All of this has been alot better so far today anyway, vastly improved on what I was experiencing at the weekend. Be interesting to see if they start up again once the game releases officially and the servers get another pounding.

Sep 24, 2015
Southeast VA
[QUOTE="XperienZ, post: 6490889]Thought I'd come back and give a quick update on this... The first time a challenge loads up it takes just a few seconds, it only takes a lot longer when you want to restart a challenge or if you want to quit out of it completely and return to the open world. I'm not sure if its just me but playing it when the servers aren't constantly kicking me off seems to have improved the wait times pretty significantly so maybe the long loads are related to overloaded servers. The game has an offline mode when you get disconnected from the server, but its never proper offline, at least not while I'm logged in to PSN - it will randomly decide to try and reconnect, pausing the game while it does so and that has happened once or twice during a pretty intense gun fight. All of this has been alot better so far today anyway, vastly improved on what I was experiencing at the weekend. Be interesting to see if they start up again once the game releases officially and the servers get another pounding.[/QUOTE]

What is the difference between online and offline with this game? What does online give you?

XperienZ

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2007
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="skenn5150, post: 6490898]What is the difference between online and offline with this game? What does online give you?[/QUOTE]

Its solely for leaderboards, everything is tracked and compared, 100m headshot? Goes into a leaderboard... 5 killed with a single grenade? Leaderboard... Challenge high score/race time... You get the idea.

its pretty impressive actually and probably the best improvement aside from the graphics, but it does have the potential to give Avalanche a real headache if it gets as bogged as driveclub was for Evoultion.

Incidently I timed the loading earlier and it went from minutes to under 25 seconds, so something definitely improved them.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="XperienZ, post: 6490907]Its solely for leaderboards, everything is tracked and compared, 100m headshot? Goes into a leaderboard... 5 killed with a single grenade? Leaderboard... Challenge high score/race time... You get the idea.

its pretty impressive actually and probably the best improvement aside from the graphics, but it does have the potential to give Avalanche a real headache if it gets as bogged as driveclub was for Evoultion.

Incidently I timed the loading earlier and it went from minutes to under 25 seconds, so something definitely improved them.[/QUOTE]

That is cool. I love games like that. Rise of the Tomb Raider has that on the Xbox and I really like it.

billm0066

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6490928]According to this report the XB1 build has some serious technical problems. "Just Cause 3 can drop to 17fps on Xbox One, suffer 15 minute load times."

Relegated it seems to memory leak issues. So, maybe a patch can fix it? I don't think the PS4 has these issue, so it must be a bad port job.[/QUOTE]

It can definitely be patched. Not sure why they couldn't catch these issues ahead of time unless they knew about them and are already working on another patch.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
I've read there's a day-one patch, so maybe that will fix the problems. Still lousy development work though. Not everyone has access to the internet, or will have access on that particular day of purchase.

Edit: TotalBiscuit review for the PC build (but it should work well enough for the PS4 version too).
[video=youtube;ghclK4Gd-sw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghclK4Gd-sw[/video]

Last edited:

XperienZ

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2007
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6490932]I've read there's a day-one patch, so maybe that will fix the problems. Still lousy development work though. Not everyone has access to the internet, or will have access on that particular day of purchase.

Edit: TotalBiscuit review for the PC build (but it should work well enough for the PS4 version too).
[video=youtube;ghclK4Gd-sw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghclK4Gd-sw[/video][/QUOTE]

There is a patch already, its 2.3GB too.

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
For those wondering which console to buy for this may help make a decision:
Digital foundry :
What's clear is that neither version of Just Cause 3 is able to sustain a locked 30fps, but it is indeed the Xbox One release that offers a noticeably lower level of in-game fluidity. In our tests, we've compared both cut-scenes and gameplay, and our lowest recorded drop occurs on Xbox One, where a massive explosion sends us plummeting to 20fps, while PS4 plateaus to 24fps in entirely different circumstances - with CPU power the likely culprit for bottlenecked performance there.

In between shoot-outs, both editions mostly hold at 30fps, but once things kick off, it's clear that Microsoft's machine struggles to a more noticeable extent. It's a little disappointing that neither version of the game can stick to its target frame-rate - high tempo combat with lots of performance-sapping alpha transparencies cause issues on both machines - but it's clear that PlayStation 4 has the edge in sustaining target performance more consistently.
[video=youtube;sjDWu6dEuxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDWu6dEuxA[/video]

More detailed analysis coming soon.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I am loving the shit out of this game so far. But I agree that the loading can be pretty bad. It seems to be bad when you want to retry a challenge. The initial start of the challenge didn't take long to load though.

It is pretty ridiculous how long it takes to load a simple challenge.

May 29, 2005
I loved JC2 and think its the best action game so I was waiting on JC3 to see how the series would develop and thought all these ideas to improve the game would make the gameplay even more fluid. I've been watching videos and streams of it; I don't like it, sucks. Very disappointing to see they're going in a direction I don't think will make the experience more fun than its predecessor. To me all I see at the table is open-ended physics of tether and interactions, and a wingsuit. Everything else looks like a mild turn-off. If its all about the physical interactions with the player tying stuff together then its a must buy game but otherwise I'm unsure. There are a lot of small things that look like they'd annoy me but I can't say everyone else would care. The loading bugs/hangs are also a dealbreaker (until fixed), no way would I put up with that...not even GTAV would be worth time flushed to that magnitude. Its not like I can get it anyways since I don't have a system.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
It's basically JC2 with multiple tethers and a wingusit. What 'direction' is it veering off into that you don't like? Specifically, I mean.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="hoverbike, post: 6491130]I loved JC2 and think its the best action game [/QUOTE]

Then you will love Just Cause 3.

The game plays just like the previous title but with more abilities and better graphics. I do think the map in Just Cause 2 was 100x better though. The map in JC2 also seemed to be a lot bigger.

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6491147]Then you will love Just Cause 3.

The game plays just like the previous title but with more abilities and better graphics. I do think the map in Just Cause 2 was 100x better though. The map in JC2 also seemed to be a lot bigger.[/QUOTE]
read something about them keeping the map about the same size, but making it denser for this gen.