[OT] Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="thanatos144, post: 6472436]I don't even got the game yet lol but it was the most obvious answer

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The most obvious would be to check options to disable. :snicker Knowing how stupid devs can be it's probably required.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="thanatos144, post: 6472445]Just put the game in ...... gonna heat up some burritos and install it

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
cool story :lol:

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6472446]I'm so tempted to go to best buy and buy it. Is there a patch right out the box?[/QUOTE]

Yep 1.01, it's not very big. Took acouple of minutes if that to download/install.

And I say buy buy buy, having an absolute blast and I'm not normally a MGS kinda guy.
Just loving the various approaches you can have towards the game which has drawn me in.
Go sort some outposts out, do some side missions and recruit new people for the Motherbase, search for some diamonds and/or materials for upgrades, do some missions fully stealth or go all gun-ho. Or, just explore the huge terrain on your horse. Initially I found it pretty overwhelming but you soon get to grips with it and now I'm sucked right into it.
Still get afew button presses wrong when shit hits the fan and I'm spotted but gradually getting there :lol: and now I have an interperator at my Motherbase I can interrogate enemies for intel/locations of certain things :cool:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Serinous, post: 6472333]Can somebody explain to me how FOB system works? Specifically, is it possible to opt out FOB gameplay altogether? Like if I just want to take my time playing single player mode and not having to worry about people coming in and try to attack my base anytime? I'd much rather just play MGO3 when I want some multiplayer gameplay.[/QUOTE]

FOB's are required if you want to enable more of everything.
You start of with only so much room for the soldiers/assets you steal, adding a FOB expands this apparently quite a bit.

see here:

[video=youtube;ZUHn2Gogen8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUHn2Gogen8[/video]

18:48 mark.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
My cousin ended up buying it on Steam so I have full access to the game and Ground Zeros for free. I'm excited to get to it. I'll start once I finish L.A. Noire.

Abdou23

Forum Elder
Sep 16, 2008
Egypt
So I just spent about an hour carefully progressing through a mission and i got screwed over, over some technical glitch. Long story short there is that mission that you have to rescue some prisoner and you get bonuses if you rescued other ones, so I took all the time in the world and was careful enough during the entire mission only had one reflex. I rescued 2 guys and I came back for the third and main one but I accidentally dropped him in one of those holes that you crawl in. I spent like 5 minutes trying to get him out every way possible but I couldn't, that's when suddenly one of the guards woke up from his coma and reported on the radio that the prisoner has escaped, I ran to him to shoot him with my tranquilizer only to get surprised that my suppressor has broken and other guys in the base just heard me firing and started running my way.
If could have just easily pick up the guy out of that hole non of the other things would have happened, I'm not even sure even if I stood and fought everyone I would have been able to get him.

By the way my controller nearly survived this situation.

Last edited:

Wrath

Master Guru
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
Touching tribute to Kojima and one of his fans who just passed away:

[video=youtube;P8RCD2KAbX4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8RCD2KAbX4[/video]

What a legend.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
It's completely open world. You can drive and sneak around, and engage compounds, outposts, and roaming enemies however you like.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Set my birthday to today.

[video=youtube;WxR2D4SERQA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxR2D4SERQA[/video]

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6472563]Set my birthday to today.

[video=youtube;WxR2D4SERQA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxR2D4SERQA[/video][/QUOTE]

:lol: nice, had heard the game does this on your birthday but would have never bothered to see for myself, love it!

So what does everyone think then? EASY contender for Game of the Year, not sure even Fallout 4 will be able to top it!

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
well i'm not surprised it's amazing because the demo won me over and i will say it will go down as one of the best third person shooters of all time (if not the best ever).

just the presentation and the controls were amazing. controls were definitely an evolution in third person shooters.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6472586]:lol: nice, had heard the game does this on your birthday but would have never bothered to see for myself, love it!

So what does everyone think then? EASY contender for Game of the Year, not sure even Fallout 4 will be able to top it![/QUOTE]

It's MGS5 vs FO4 this year. Hard to say who will take it. Don't think Witcher 3 is in their league though will be nominated.

Sent from my GT-I9000

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6472548]It's completely open world. You can drive and sneak around, and engage compounds, outposts, and roaming enemies however you like.[/QUOTE]
Like whats already been done in games like Far Cry. Yawn.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="mistercrow, post: 6472612]Like whats already been done in games like Far Cry. Yawn.[/QUOTE]

Says the man who is playing Elder Scrolls online, practically the most open world game their is :lol:

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="mistercrow, post: 6472612]Like whats already been done in games like Far Cry. Yawn.[/QUOTE]
troll lol. fuck far cry. that game is fucking stupid. it's like putting a genius next to an idiot and calling them both stupid because they're both human beings. booooo
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6472615]Says the man who is playing Elder Scrolls online, practically the most open world game their is :lol:[/QUOTE]
actually it's not lol i played it for a bit. it's also shit.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6472606]It's MGS5 vs FO4 this year. Hard to say who will take it. Don't think Witcher 3 is in their league though will be nominated.

Sent from my GT-I9000[/QUOTE]There's been some excellent games. Bloodborne, Witcher 3, MGS5, (probably) FO4 are all great and worthy contenders. I think MGS5 will get the most GOTYs just because of its legacy and it being the last from Kojima.

Why does it matter that it's done before? It plays a lot differently than Far Cry.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6472627]
Why does it matter that it's done before? It plays a lot differently than Far Cry.[/QUOTE]

or how about, not at all like Far Cry? LOL

the only similarity is that it's an open world game. that's it.

Far Cry doesn't even have variations in its environment. it all looked the same to me. it's pathetic.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6472630]or how about, not at all like Far Cry? LOL

the only similarity is that it's an open world game. that's it.

Far Cry doesn't even have variations in its environment. it all looked the same to me. it's pathetic.[/QUOTE]

You didn't play much then. There are elements that are similar, you have to take over bases, and you can do it either loud or stealth. But we are talking third vs 1st so its not that similar.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6472631]You didn't play much then. There are elements that are similar, you have to take over bases, and you can do it either loud or stealth. But we are talking third vs 1st so its not that similar.[/QUOTE]

What was the last MGS that you remember playing?

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria

I agree with the others. That's a really unfair way to judge the game.