[OT] Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6472607]This is easily the game of the year. This game is damn near flawless.[/QUOTE]

I heard the same thing about TW3. I loled hard. This from what I've played is the GOTY. The immersion is on a level of is own. I wouldn't count out F4 though. I love both series immensely so hopefully I can make a decision unbiasedly. But I still think F4 will take the prize. It just seems like outside of bugs, which remains to be seen, everything that's held down the series had been addressed. But this is going to consume me for a while so enough talk about f4!

[QUOTE="mistercrow, post: 6472612]Like whats already been done in games like Far Cry. Yawn.[/QUOTE]

Man. You have been a serious Debbie downer lately. You don't have anything positive to say unless it's about MS. Lol Have you played it? If not then you have no ground to stand on. I didn't think this would he much more than an open world Espionage game but it's much more than that. So it's not just a rum of the mill open world game. Nothing wrong with Farcry but they are two completely different beasts.

Last edited:

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6472647]I heard the same thing about TW3. I loled hard. This from what I've played is the GOTY. The immersion is on a level of is own. I wouldn't count out F4 though. I love both series immensely so hopefully I can make a decision unbiasedly. But I still think F4 will take the prize. It just seems like outside of bugs, which remains to be seen, everything that's held down the series had been addressed. But this is going to consume me for a while so enough talk about f4![/QUOTE]

Have you played The Witcher 3 fully through? You talk about immersion but Witcher 3 has incredible writing and lore that really sucks you in. MGS5 has the cinematic cutscenes of course but Witcher 3 is massive and your choices actually affect the world and story.

Between Bloodborne, Witcher 3, MGS5, and Fallout 4 2015 has been a legendary year for open-world fans. It'll be several years before we see a lineup this strong again.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6472637]What was the last MGS that you remember playing?[/QUOTE]

I was talking about Far Cry, last one I played Ground Zeros but I was referring the similarities to TPP and FC.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
@ Nerevar-I got about halfway through it and couldn't finish it. What I was mostly talking about was the word Flawless. I heard that and perfect being thrown around when day one that game was far from it. Riddled with bugs, inventory management was a joke, the story bored me to tears until I quit, and the open world was lifeless. I enjoyed it for the first about 10 hours but negatives started to stack up. I simply have beef with all the praising of the game as being perfect and the greatest game of all time. When it wasn't close to perfect and other games out there have pulled off the same formula and done it better. IMO solid game but not great. I just couldn't get into the lore of the game because the story was pissing me off so bad. It was the same plot everywhere you went. Oh ya just missed her. Go here. Oh you know what she was just here so and so might know. Help or save so and so and you know what she's not fucking here anymore, she's here!!!

As for the immersion, i was talking about the immersion in the gameplay aspect. There isn't a corridor effect to the game anymore. Tagging enemies isn't as simple as getting on a hill and tagging. You will miss plenty of enemies. Not to mention you can't just go in guns blazing very easily. No one way to enter is the right way but there is no wrong way. Some are just smarter than others. I also read that the game adapts to your tactics. You keep going for headshots the enemy will order helmets. You go for tranqs, they will order body armor. So basically your tactics have to be ever changing.

But it has definitely been a good year for open world. Everyone else just meds to catch up and start releasing more damn games and chill out with delays. Lol

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6472651]Have you played The Witcher 3 fully through? You talk about immersion but Witcher 3 has incredible writing and lore that really sucks you in. MGS5 has the cinematic cutscenes of course but Witcher 3 is massive and your choices actually affect the world and story.

Between Bloodborne, Witcher 3, MGS5, and Fallout 4 2015 has been a legendary year for open-world fans. It'll be several years before we see a lineup this strong again.[/QUOTE]

Witcher 3 is average, it has too much pointless content and way to much running around in NG chasing fucking Dandelion. And I say bollocks, most choices affect nothing in the game. I make literally 20 a quest in the decision tree and makes no difference.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6472652]I was talking about Far Cry, last one I played Ground Zeros but I was referring the similarities to TPP and FC.[/QUOTE]
if you have at least played Ground Zeros. in what right mind can you compare the two? conceptually maybe. yes, they have enemies. yes you can go silent or loud. yes they're both open world and have outposts.

but to say that their quality is anywhere "near" the same and this is just talking from GZ, not even TPP. i mean, i really don't get why a comparison is being made. i guess we should drop the rating system because quality doesn't matter.

why play GTA when there's Saint's Row or any other game with sandbox features.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6472647]I heard the same thing about TW3. I loled hard. [/QUOTE]

The Witcher 3 could easily be the game of the year as well. Both games are simply amazing.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6472660]The Witcher 3 could easily be the game of the year as well. Both games are simply amazing.[/QUOTE]

The Flawless and perfect talk is what I'm referring to. It's a solid game but what I could stomach was only that. The game wasn't for me but I don't take away from the fact that it was a solid game. But far from perfect or flawless, like the scores and reviews suggested.

Last edited:

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6472656]Witcher 3 is average, it has too much pointless content and way to much running around in NG chasing fucking Dandelion. And I say bollocks, most choices affect nothing in the game. I make literally 20 a quest in the decision tree and makes no difference.[/QUOTE]yeah i'm not sure about that game. i might check it out once it's cheap though

Abdou23

Forum Elder
Sep 16, 2008
Egypt
This game is definitely not easy, you have to be extra cautious and plan very very carefully, one thing I noticed is when you retry from checkpoint the enemies will change their patrol routs and positions.

How do you customize your weapons in this game ? do you have to build some kind of facility first ?

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6472661]The Flawless and perfect talk is what I'm referring to. It's a solid game but what I could stomach was only that. The game wasn't for me but I don't take away from the fact that it was a solid game. But far from perfect or flawless, like the scores and reviews suggested.[/QUOTE]

All the big titles every year are proclaimed as being gaming perfection. Then the next big thing comes out and everyone loses their shit again. Gamers, as a group, have very short memories.

That said, I will say Witcher 2 got tremendous praise yet when I played it a couple of years ago I was just like "Yeah it's good. I like it." That's all. Not, "OH MY GOD THE GREATEST RPG EVER AAAHHH" like everyone made it seem like. :lol:

So that may be true for Witcher 3 as well.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6472662]yeah i'm not sure about that game. i might check it out once it's cheap though[/QUOTE]

Its not terrible, its fine. It has a lot of extra content that is their because they could ultimately.
Its a perfectly fine game, its just not OMG Gamz of the Yerz.

[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6472657]if you have at least played Ground Zeros. in what right mind can you compare the two? conceptually maybe. yes, they have enemies. yes you can go silent or loud. yes they're both open world and have outposts.

but to say that their quality is anywhere "near" the same and this is just talking from GZ, not even TPP. i mean, i really don't get why a comparison is being made. i guess we should drop the rating system because quality doesn't matter.

why play GTA when there's Saint's Row or any other game with sandbox features.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say anything about the quality, I just pointed out the exact same things you said lol.

But as for Ground Zeros, it was awful, and I'd take FC over it any day. Of course, TPP is a far different beast.

But if you think GZ beats FC, oh dear.

Last edited:

billm0066

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2006
This game is tough to do good on stealth. I constantly blow my cover and have to shoot everything up.

I'm looking to start unlocking guns, and would like to get a suppressed sniper rifle. Do you buy the sniper rifle and suppressor separate, or do they come together? I wish suppressors were more realistic and don't stop working in 10 shots, but I do understand they did that to try and push people to be more stealthy or use other means to subdue people.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6472667]All the big titles every year are proclaimed as being gaming perfection. Then the next big thing comes out and everyone loses their shit again. Gamers, as a group, have very short memories.

That said, I will say Witcher 2 got tremendous praise yet when I played it a couple of years ago I was just like "Yeah it's good. I like it." That's all. Not, "OH MY GOD THE GREATEST RPG EVER AAAHHH" like everyone made it seem like. :lol:

So that may be true for Witcher 3 as well.[/QUOTE]

True. That's the thing. I think everyone thinks that I think that it's a pile because I'm so critical of it. But I concede that's it is a solid game at its core. I just like to point out flaws thatmost don't.

Wrath

Master Guru
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
[QUOTE="mistercrow, post: 6472612]Like whats already been done in games like Far Cry. Yawn.[/QUOTE]

Still swinging I see.

God, you haven't changed one bit. What a pointless comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="billm0066, post: 6472670]This game is tough to do good on stealth. I constantly blow my cover and have to shoot everything up.

I'm looking to start unlocking guns, and would like to get a suppressed sniper rifle. Do you buy the sniper rifle and suppressor separate, or do they come together? I wish suppressors were more realistic and don't stop working in 10 shots, but I do understand they did that to try and push people to be more stealthy or use other means to subdue people.[/QUOTE]

Stealth is tough. It's because the areas are so big. It's easy to lose track of everyone and you have to pick your precise moment to strike. Does anyone know how long stun by choking lasts? I know toss stun doesn't last long. Just trying to figure out which one lasts the longest.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6472747]Thank God it is a three day weekend. Work has sucked this week. I've played about 30 minutes of the game.[/QUOTE]

Don't you mean you've watched 30 minutes of the game? :snicker

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6472765]Ugh, my game keeps crashing after I've retrieved the Honey Bee.

E: OK, got past it somehow.[/QUOTE]
That's typical isn't it? You're enjoying yourself, no problems anywhere and then all of the sudden that happens. That stings.

Sent from 2000ft under the crust

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
I doubt mistercrow was talking about quality as well. I enjoyed the Far Crys though. Cool villains, and locales (Himalayas aren't used often in games). The bow and wingsuit are a lot of fun. I don't know how you can say there aren't a lot of ways to take down enemies - weapons, traps, animals, different takedowns from above or below.

Besides, they are different games and I enjoy them for different reasons.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
I just didn't find any reason to take down enemies with other than a bow and arrow. there was just no reason to do it. part of that might have to do with the fact that the game would get really choppy once a firefight would start. you're only left with sloppy options like shooting them with a weapon or a grenade launcher. there's no real stealth either once you're caught, they can see through everything. when the AI is bad, everything else fails.

i haven't played the game in over 6 months so i can't give you specifics but from what i can recall, i didn't care to take down outposts, it was boring as shit. i also didn't see a reason to take them down, hence no sense of progress. i just started flying around and taking towers to get new weapons, which was easy as cake and every time it would show me more areas to explore, i had no motivation or reason to go there. the whole damn thing didn't make sense to me. it was repetitive after the first tower i took down.

really i enjoyed the online part (not competitive multiplayer) way more than the actual game lol.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6472783]I don't think his voice suits Big Boss. He's not a bad VA, but I feel like someone else would've been better.[/QUOTE]

It's kinda weird hearing KS voicing BB. I think the groundwork was laid for me in MGS4 when BB wasn't voiced by DH. To be honest I don't think Hayter's style would have suited this MGS. The tone is way more mature than previous titles, as is the gameplay and mechanics...as a hardcore MGS fan who grew up with Hayter's voice, I'd even say that his borderline comical delivery would have detracted from what the game brings. Whether there is someone better is hard to say but I think he does ok.

Sent from my GT-I9000