[OT] Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
I've resorted to using a pad as on PC it would still show controller prompts and was confusing me. Playing it with an Xbone pad just feels strange so now I need to get my DS4 working on my PC.

They've done an awesome job though. I haven't seen it on PS4 yet but I did see my friend playing Ground Zero's on the Xbone and it looked fantastic on that. They made all hardware sing with this game.

Just wish I could play it for a few hours and stop getting interrupted.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
Loving this game so much. One criticism is the points system. It says it rewards you more for stealth, yet when I get no kills, no alerts and no reflex and TAKE MY TIME planning with it (which can be up to two hours for me) I get a B rank. What kinda bullshit is that? I don't wanna be ranked on time at all, other than just to show me how long it took to analyze for better playthrough next time. I wanna just be ranked on everything else except for time. That's not fair.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="Lebowski, post: 6472814]Loving this game so much. One criticism is the points system. It says it rewards you more for stealth, yet when I get no kills, no alerts and no reflex and TAKE MY TIME planning with it (which can be up to two hours for me) I get a B rank. What kinda bullshit is that? I don't wanna be ranked on time at all, other than just to show me how long it took to analyze for better playthrough next time. I wanna just be ranked on everything else except for time. That's not fair.[/QUOTE]
i agree, i wouldn't like that either.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
I'm enjoying it a lot. I walked into Quiet unexpectedly, which was a nice surprise. I was going for another objective.

Still, there are minor gripes: 1) Cover detection - there are objects that look like cover, yet Boss does not hug them.

2)Mother Base expansion - The buildings are ridiculously far from each other, the chopper does a few circles before it leaves for another one, it wastes too much time.

3) The way each main mission is setup - it's tedious to see the end credits for each.

This are only minor things though. I'm really liking the controls, it finally feels modern.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="thanatos144, post: 6472701]Any one else tranq a bear and send it the mother base? Them fuckers are fast and being on horseback helps a lot

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I took one on on foot last night. Lol I'm guessing it just takes a while for the tranq to kick in? I put probably 12 darts in him abound about 5 in the head until he finally feel asleep lol.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6472844]I took one on on foot last night. Lol I'm guessing it just takes a while for the tranq to kick in? I put probably 12 darts in him abound about 5 in the head until he finally feel asleep lol.[/QUOTE]

Bear's are big animals you know, takes a lot of tranq's to take one of those fuckers down :lol:

Haven't even met any animals yet, still need to rescue Miller!

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Lebowski, post: 6472814]Loving this game so much. One criticism is the points system. It says it rewards you more for stealth, yet when I get no kills, no alerts and no reflex and TAKE MY TIME planning with it (which can be up to two hours for me) I get a B rank. What kinda bullshit is that? I don't wanna be ranked on time at all, other than just to show me how long it took to analyze for better playthrough next time. I wanna just be ranked on everything else except for time. That's not fair.[/QUOTE]

That's kind of why I'm not really concerning myself with Ranks in this one. I'm just going to play it stealth. If all hell breaks out, then I'll just gun everyone down lol. I was kind of surprised that I was able to do the very first extraction mission. The one right after the prologue without alerting anyone. It was the base where you get the Intel from was where I messed up. Lol Also kind of annoying that some of the objectives just come out of left field. Like that mission, one objective is capturing a captain from another outpost. I never heard the first thing about it while playing time mission.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
got to play a bit more tonight. Prologue was kind of epic. Started first mission. I'm feeling like I'm going to love this game.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
just played the prologue. lol sigh. yeah kojima hasn't changed one bit. the action is cool but some things were just kind of getting on my nerves.

1) he's getting away from near-death wayyyy to many times. those weird people just appear out of nowhere every time to save him. how many times i heard people say, "GET ON I'M ON YOUR SIDE!" *groans for 10 seconds* can you just let me die please?

2) ok so you know this dude's a high profile target, why are you (the doctor and staff) risking your lives to protect someone you don't even fucking know? I know he's going to add some detail later why they were trying to protect him but whatever, that was stupid. oh yeah, let me give you a million-dollar complete facial plastic surgery for free 'cause you in danger bruh! ???

3) it seems like the enemies are blind because they just don't see someone sneaking right by them or laying down right by them!...especially someone who also happens to have just come out of a coma...i would not think his stealth skills were that good at that point. it kinda ruined the whole immersion thing for me. those soldiers were just too dumb.

4) what the hell was that crap in the beginning? He's just going to let big boss crawl everywhere at snail speed? help this bitch! he just came out of a goddamn coma!
other than that i'm sure i'll love the game but some of those parts were just so over the top and some parts were just unnecessary. like they actually broke the sense of urgency for me (speaking of the first 30 minutes of prologue). i was really really happy to see that kojima was going for style, art and realism in the beginning.
i have no problem with the supernatural people, just the over the top action scenes that are way unrealistic
i think it just breaks the whole immersion level for me. i really honestly thought kojima had matured.

Last edited:

thanatos144

Elite Member
Jul 5, 2013
Stuart, Florida, United States
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6472917]just played the prologue. lol sigh. yeah kojima hasn't changed one bit. the action is cool but some things were just kind of getting on my nerves.

1) he's getting away from near-death wayyyy to many times. those weird people just appear out of nowhere every time to save him. how many times i heard people say, "GET ON I'M ON YOUR SIDE!" *groans for 10 seconds* can you just let me die please?

2) ok so you know this dude's a high profile target, why are you (the doctor and staff) risking your lives to protect someone you don't even $#@!ing know? I know he's going to add some detail later why they were trying to protect him but whatever, that was stupid. oh yeah, let me give you a million-dollar complete facial plastic surgery for free 'cause you in danger bruh! ???

3) it seems like the enemies are blind because they just don't see someone sneaking right by them or laying down right by them!...especially someone who also happens to have just come out of a coma...i would not think his stealth skills were that good at that point. it kinda ruined the whole immersion thing for me. those soldiers were just too dumb.

4) what the hell was that crap in the beginning? He's just going to let big boss crawl everywhere at snail speed? help this $#@!! he just came out of a goddamn coma!
other than that i'm sure i'll love the game but some of those parts were just so over the top and some parts were just unnecessary. like they actually broke the sense of urgency for me (speaking of the first 30 minutes of prologue). i was really really happy to see that kojima was going for style, art and realism in the beginning.
i have no problem with the supernatural people, just the over the top action scenes that are way unrealistic
i think it just breaks the whole immersion level for me. i really honestly thought kojima had matured.[/QUOTE]
It is a metal gear game.....

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="thanatos144, post: 6472919]It is a metal gear game.....

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
lol i know, i forgot about that in the beginning because the first 5 minutes were done really well. i thought he was going to keep that engagement going. and then my dreams were dashed. i'm sure most people would love it regardless but i'm a bit anal when it comes to these things.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6472917]just played the prologue. lol sigh. yeah kojima hasn't changed one bit. the action is cool but some things were just kind of getting on my nerves.

2) ok so you know this dude's a high profile target, why are you (the doctor and staff) risking your lives to protect someone you don't even fucking know? I know he's going to add some detail later why they were trying to protect him but whatever, that was stupid. oh yeah, let me give you a million-dollar complete facial plastic surgery for free 'cause you in danger bruh! ???

4) what the hell was that crap in the beginning? He's just going to let big boss crawl everywhere at snail speed? help this bitch! he just came out of a goddamn coma!
i think it just breaks the whole immersion level for me. i really honestly thought kojima had matured.[/QUOTE]The prologue was a drag. There's explanations for 2. Even without it, it's not like everyone in the staff know who he is.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6472932]The prologue was a drag. There's explanations for 2. Even without it, it's not like everyone in the staff know who he is.[/QUOTE]
they know he's wanted, why take the risk. they're putting everyone's lives in jeapordy which we find out later was a bad mistake.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6472938]they know he's wanted, why take the risk. they're putting everyone's lives in jeapordy which we find out later was a bad mistake.[/QUOTE] It's not like the hospital can just refuse care, they were probably compensated as well. 9 years is a long time, it doesn't necessarily mean the same staff still worked there or they were in the know. Being wanted is a broad term, it doesn't explain much.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6472942]It's not like the hospital can just refuse care, they were probably compensated as well. 9 years is a long time, it doesn't necessarily mean the same staff still worked there or they were in the know. Being wanted is a broad term, it doesn't explain much.[/QUOTE]
the fact that he says, everyone wants you dead...would seem kind of specific. also, he knew the guy was a mercenary!

i think compensation should be the least of a hospital's worry when safety is at risk. just saying, doesn't make any sense. also who's compensating them? and for the face surgery? i would not accept any amount of money for a huge risk of my safety lol he was a wanted terrorist for the love of God!

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
The doctor knew him, yes. He might be a big supporter, big boss inspires a lot of people in this game. Even then, a normal human being doesn't know their life is in danger like that. They aren't presented with the same information as with the player. It's not a common occurrence for soldiers to invade a hospital in such a country.

Can't really go into details either.