[OT] Nier: Automata

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Gamefly is sending it now. First game was such a hidden gem with a beautiful and depressing story all at the same time. Can't wait to see what they've done with this one. I was hooked from the opening cut scene from Nier.

" Weiss, you dumbass! Start making sense, you rotten book, or you're gonna be sorry! Maybe I'll rip your pages out, one-by-one! Or maybe I'll put you in the goddamn furnace! How can someone with such a big, smart brain get hypnotized like a little bitch? Huh? Oh, Shadowlord! I love you, Shadowlord! Come over here and give Weiss a big sloppy kiss, Shadowlord! Now pull your head out of your goddamn ass and START FUCKING HELPING US!"

That was enough for me to get very intrigued. Lol

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Have to pick this up at some point I enjoyed the demo despite being unsure of this entry with the monsters/characters are just all robotic to me. Gameplay was a blast so that was good and hope the story is good.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
DualSHOCKERS Interview with Yoko Taro on 2B's Heel Attire Choice (March 12, 2017):
Original Link: http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/03...t-2b-wears-high-heels-just-really-like-girls/
During a panel at PAX East, NieR: Automata Creative Director Yoko Taro was asked a few questions about the game, and he responded with his usual adorable and modest mannerism.

Among other things, he talked about how he hopes fans will receive the game, localization, his famous mask, and why protagonist YoRHa 2B wears high heels.

Yoko-san mentioned that many ask if there are any differences between the original Japanese version of NieR: Automata and the localized English version, and there is a name of a character that had to be changed due to a copyright issue. Yet, it’s only one instance, and if you compare the English localization with the Japanese original, you’ll notice that there isn’t much difference in the overall games.

While at times there is censorship in regards to certain materials, Yoko-san continued, no changes were made to the game due to those factors. Of course, with regards to different cultures between Japan and North America and Europe, the developers feel that it’s best to have the localization team use the best expressions that would be fitting for each regions, and that kind of expressions may change, but then again, Yoko-san doesn’t understand English very well, so even if they did change everything, he wouldn’t notice.

He also explained why he wears his iconic mask: he personally doesn’t believe that creators should be in the eye in the public. To give an analogy, if he found out that that the erotic novel he’s enjoying is written by a middle-aged man, he’d be disappointed. That’s kind of the reason why he doesn’t want to show his face in public.

To a question asking why a combat android wears high heels, Yoko Taro answered that the game is set 10,000 years in the future, so when he tried to imagine what it would be like, he thought about how it was 10,000 years ago, and people back then probably would not have been able to imagine what it would be like nowadays. That’s why he decided to think freely and willfully about it. Since a lot of western games feature space marines and that kind of concept, he let his ideas flow freely and came up with a girl wearing heels in the future. Yet, the biggest reason is simply that he just really likes girls.

“But the biggest reason is that I just really like girls.”

The developer also explained that the hilarious Nier: Automata T-Shirt video took three takes to complete, and he was exhausted at the end, since he had been rolling around for a while, yet Producer Yosuke Saito asked him to do more. He did, and he was at the point in which he was about to faint, and that’s why that exclamation at the end [S**t Square Enix!] came out, so it’s not all his fault.

Asked about the positive critical and fan reception of the game, Yoko Taro mentioned that he is extremely thankful for the great feedback and responses he is receiving from everyone, and that’s largely due to PlatinumGames, but for those who haven’t played NieR: Automata, he wants to say that it’s not a perfect game. It’s a little bit off and strange, it may not be the most fun, it may not be the most beautiful in terms of graphics, it may not have the most interesting story.

Yet, to bring an analogy, during your school days there might have been a girl or boy that you liked, and they might not have been the most beautiful or funny. You weren’t quite sure what the reason was, but you just liked that person for who he or she was. NieR is kind of a off-beat and strange game, but just like that memory of the first boy or girl that you liked back then, Yoko-san hopes that it will have a very fond place in your memories and in your hearts.

In addition to Yoko Taro’s answers, Square Enix also showcased a video message with further questions and answers featuring Composer Keiichi Okabe and Designer Takahisa Taura, and you can enjoy it below.
[video=youtube;B3VychTqH7c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3VychTqH7c[/video]

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Debating whether to pick this up or just play FFXV until Persona 5 is released. Just so many damn games this year. Not complaining!

IWAO

Master Guru
Aug 20, 2006
Denmark, Copenhagen
twitter.com
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6527407]Debating whether to pick this up or just play FFXV until Persona 5 is released. Just so many damn games this year. Not complaining![/QUOTE]
I would suggest getting it if you're done with Final Fantasy XV :)

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="IWAO, post: 6527412]I would suggest getting it if you're done with Final Fantasy XV :)[/QUOTE]

Not done with FF XV, but got it anyway. Nice change of pace as Ignis would say. :p

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I'm liking the game, but the biggest problem I have is that I just finished Horizon Zero Dawn and that is a hard act to follow. The landscape seems so barren in comparison. But I'm just 5 hours in and I've really only been in one area. I like the characters and the combat. The leveling system is a bit confusing. Having to find some guides to figure some of this out. Not much in the way of tutorials here that I can tell.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6527516]Not much in the way of tutorials here that I can tell.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a Taro Yoko approach to me. Also...save often.....

[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6527515]So how's everyone liking this game?[/QUOTE]
If you're into out there stories, the game may be up your lane. The combat pretty much addressed the big drawback with the prior Nier game and the Drakengard games.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="FinalxxSin, post: 6527518]If you're into out there stories, the game may be up your lane. The combat pretty much addressed the big drawback with the prior Nier game and the Drakengard games.[/QUOTE]
I am indeed. Will check it out when I get the chance.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Thought I'd get this game via PSN cause why the fuck not.. Was curious about it but not sure if I'd enjoy it.
Bought it anyways so will try it out tomorrow.

Here's hoping.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Just got really interesting at the Amusement Park. Starting to really get into this.

I never played any of the Drakengard games. Is this supposed to tie into those games in any meaningful way or just a shared universe?

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6527526]I never played any of the Drakengard games. Is this supposed to tie into those games in any meaningful way or just a shared universe?[/QUOTE]
You don't need to play the Drakengard games nor the original Nier. The only common ground all of the games have is that each have multiple endings in regards to story...besides being out there.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I'm really liking this game. Improved on the original mostly in combat. Love the combat. It can get tough too. But the environments ate very bland. It's got a lot of charm the first one had. But i miss the comedic dialogue with Kaine. Hopefully some of that shows up.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
The environments do get richer. And the game gets a lot better once you can fast travel. Not sure why they don't allow it earlier.

Last edited:

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Yeah no fast travel so far has been my biggest gripe. I'm about to take on the Goliath in city ruins soon. Finishing side quest first. I love the combat though. Rewards you well for counters. You can't stay in one place or you're dead. So far i can't put it down. Couldn't say the same for the last game i played. Just couldn't finish Dishonored 2.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Wow....this game is really awesome. The combat is pretty great once you start figuring out the leveling and the plug-ins. Need to find another pod though so I can switch out program configs. Have A and C. No idea where Pod B is.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Yeah. The systems and options are great but they do a errible job introducing everything. Took me a second to figure out the chip tree. The game really just does a quick setup and leave you hanging. No explanation of counters or timing evade and it's effects. And not giving you any indication that traveling will get easier. But the game is amazing. Just really feel they could have at least briefly explained much of the game and it's inner workings.

Last edited:

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6527568]The game really just does a quick setup and leave you hanging. No explanation of counters or timing evade and it's effects.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like how a lot of games were back when I was a kid.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Yeah i know. But gaming has pussified me. That's how it was for me too but i got spoiled. Lol But games were much less complex back then. Hell this game does more tutorial to adjusting the brightness and sound than the level system! True story btw. Lol i Guess it's a great statement about this game that the only thing i can really complain about is the lack of explanation.

Still unsure if there are ways to combo attacks longer by different button combos

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2014
This is currently my game of the year. I am liking it much more than Horizon Zero Dawn. I am just about done with A, and I am pumped to start B.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Just started C, I think. Story is getting crazy. lol....loving it tho. Going to try and plat this game before Persona 5 hits next week.

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
I liked what I played, but I only got through the desert part since HZD was taking up all my time. This is the first Platinum game that I have bought unless you count DMC and Okami. I personally never liked their games after they left Capcom, but there is something about NieR: A. Game could have used a bigger budget for better design and that is the only negative I have so far, but nice concept and combat.