Explore Trailer
[video=youtube;7AVmI73va4g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AVmI73va4g[/video]

Only a few days left. :D

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I don't think the people who understand what this game is will be disappointed. Personally, I'm stoked about it. I put 76 hours into Rebel Galaxy which is far more limited than No Man's Sky, but has a lot of the same gameplay mechanics of exploring, scavenging, upgrading ship, trading, etc. Rebel Galaxy has a story, but like most, it is entirely forgettable. I'm glad Hello Games decided not to try and tack one on.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I'm so stoked for this! Without even owning it yet, I'm trying to decide which way and how I'm going to play. Fight? Explore? Scavenge? Chill in one galaxy or bounce around to tons?

Last edited:

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
For those playing, what are your thoughts so far?

I am loving it so far! It's everything I wanted it to be and more! The planets are huge, the sense of exploration and immersion is unlike anything else on PS4. I even made friends with some creatures who then showed me some special objects and followed me around like a dog. I know I've barely scratched the surface so enough typing and back to NMS I go! :D

Last edited:

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I don't know about anyone else but I'm loving NMS! I've explored planets, took a visit to a space station, went to trading posts, and named a planet, creatures, and some plants. I can see how it's so easy to just explore and discover things on 1 planet all day long, both for units/resources and because of the huge scale of the planets. Sometimes I'm just amazed at what some of the caves look like or I'll look to the sky and see a pair of ships coming into the atmosphere. The sense of being on your own and finding your own path is what this game is all about, much like life itself.

It took me a bit to realize I should be using my L2 button more often for discoveries and units. I don't think I used it at all on my first planet but oh well.

I'm currently trying to save up enough units to buy a nice big ship. I've come across a few cheaper/smaller ones but I'm setting my sights on something that's expensive and has plenty of inventory slots.

I haven't been involved in any space battles but I've killed a few hostile creatures here and there. I've had some really friendly creatures too who showed me some special objects and followed me around like a dog.

Overall I'm very impressed and loving every minute of it. I'll hold off on final judgement and scoring from 1-10 until I've progressed a bit further.

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
spent 12 hours so far with this brilliant game and i think 5 of those were on my starting planet. the scale of the planets are simply immense.

my 1st ship.
[video=youtube;auokMUPbrxI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auokMUPbrxI[/video]

billm0066

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2006
I played for a couple hours last night and it crashed on me. I lost about an hour worth of playing which was really annoying. I searched Google and crashes seem to be really common right now.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="billm0066, post: 6518399]I played for a couple hours last night and it crashed on me. I lost about an hour worth of playing which was really annoying. I searched Google and crashes seem to be really common right now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I had it crash on me a couple times very early on when I was still on my first planet. It hasn't crashed on me once since I left that planet for some reason.

I've probably put 12 - 16 hours in so far. Today I literally spent the entire time on 1 planet. Basically I found a trading post and I'm mining everything within 5-10 minutes walking distance and selling it back at the trading post.

My goal is to save up around 1,800,000 to buy a nice big ship that I've seen come into the trading post a few times. I've seen a few ships that have 3 more inventory slots than what I have for around 500,000 but I'm skipping them and going right for the bigger one. I'm right around 800,000 at the moment so just another million to go.

It's quite time consuming but I've discovered tons of language unlocks along the way. I've also been mindful to use my L2 button for discovering new creatures, flora, etc.. and I'm about 70% done with this planet. I finally got my plasma cannon to blow holes through any part of the planet. It's quite fun making your own "quick routes" and caves to certain areas you'd normally have to traipse over mountains for.

Really enjoying NMS. I can't wait to get my big ship and finally get off this planet. I plan on engaging in some space battles in the next few days. :)

Last edited:

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Yungstar 2006, post: 6518396]spent 12 hours so far with this brilliant game and i think 5 of those were on my starting planet. the scale of the planets are simply immense.

my 1st ship.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's the ship everyone who pre-ordered got. It's still my current ship too. Make sure you find a good trading post and mine the hell out of the resources around it. Sell it back at the trading post and eventually you can buy a new ship there. There are ships constantly coming and going from the trading post and I can usually tell by their size how much they are. The next moderate jump in ship price for you will be around 300,000 - 500,000 units, most with about 3 more inventory slots than what you currently have.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
I have to refrain from commenting on this game, but the first few hours are... tranquil indeed.

Also; time-sink gameplay loop.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
OK, so can you ever improve your personal inventory size or get an off world (or on world, but that could be annoying) storage solution? Having just your ship + what you have on your person at the start is kind of annoying.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6518410]OK, so can you ever improve your personal inventory size or get an off world (or on world, but that could be annoying) storage solution? Having just your ship + what you have on your person at the start is kind of annoying.[/QUOTE]

Yes you upgrade your exosuit inventory by getting upgrades on planets. They will be located at one of the various restore points across a planet. The first one is free and then I believe the 2nd is 20,000 units and so on. You upgrade your ship by buying new ships with more inventory slots. The new ships can be found for free just lying somewhere, at space stations, and at trading posts. I don't know of any on planet or off planet storage solutions. I've heard that one of the future updates is to be able to build your own outpost on a planet and own a frigate.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
There's a lot of things in this game I could cast shade over - but just the though of experiencing this game and others like it in VR - oh mah lawd..!

Sep 24, 2015
Southeast VA
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6518411]Yes you upgrade your exosuit inventory by getting upgrades on planets. They will be located at one of the various restore points across a planet. The first one is free and then I believe the 2nd is 20,000 units and so on. You upgrade your ship by buying new ships with more inventory slots. The new ships can be found for free just lying somewhere, at space stations, and at trading posts. I don't know of any on planet or off planet storage solutions. I've heard that one of the future updates is to be able to build your own outpost on a planet and own a frigate.[/QUOTE]
I found a few pods with suit upgrades and now have a total of 17 slots.

billm0066

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2006
I only played those couple of hours on release day so I'm lost on this game.

When I left the original planet, there was another planet and space station up ahead. When pressing O it would have taken 6 minutes to get there. Is that normal? I understand you can upgrade the ships to be faster. The planet was two hours away at normal speed, and while pressing O it turned into six minutes.

I was able to save once while on the original planet. Not sure what it was called, but is that the only place you can save while on a planet?

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="billm0066, post: 6518432]I only played those couple of hours on release day so I'm lost on this game.

When I left the original planet, there was another planet and space station up ahead. When pressing O it would have taken 6 minutes to get there. Is that normal? I understand you can upgrade the ships to be faster. The planet was two hours away at normal speed, and while pressing O it turned into six minutes.

I was able to save once while on the original planet. Not sure what it was called, but is that the only place you can save while on a planet?[/QUOTE]

Yes when you use O in the ship, you're using the boost which decreases your time.

There's plenty of places to save on planets. You also automatically save every time you land at a trading post on a planet. My advice would be to find the trading post on a planet as soon as possible. Then do all your exploration in relation to your trading post. What I'll typically do is fly in a straight line in one direction, perhaps using a distant planet or moon as my point of reference. Then once all your suit and ship inventory slots are full, go back and sell at the trading post.

Another suggestion I have is to fly out in space just above the planet you're on and mine asteroids for resources. You can obtain a full inventory rather quickly just from mining in space. Then zoom back down to the planet trading post or nearest space station and sell your stuff.

Make sure you're using your L3 button to scan the local area as you move around. You should be using L3 almost all the time really. Wherever you see green question marks, those are usually save points, upgrades, cargo, resources, or language unlocks.

I hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2015
Southeast VA
[QUOTE="billm0066, post: 6518432]I only played those couple of hours on release day so I'm lost on this game.

I was able to save once while on the original planet. Not sure what it was called, but is that the only place you can save while on a planet?[/QUOTE]
Press L1 and R1 for the warp (?) engine. Knocks that time down to seconds.

May 23, 2005
Man this game looks awesome, Its seems like the type of game that you play when you have a ton of free time to enjoy the exploration and crafting aspects of it. I however am a little concern that it could get repetitive and maybe eventually boring for someone like me. I will buy it later, right now I am only looking forward to BF1 and NBA2k17.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I get to download this tomorrow.

I've seen a few vids, people seem to leave the first planet really quickly.... like the hell man. Where are you rushing to?

Also, kinda called it a while back regarding the whole "Universe Seed" thing. I honestly don't know why people hype the game up, and then hate on it when it launches. It's like people spend months lying to themselves, and then hating for no reason. What were people expecting from a game that was first billed as an exploration title? The stupidest comments i've seen about NMS are people complaining about a) The Shooting, and b) The Dog-fighting. I don't recall anyone from Sony or HG stating this was a military shooter o_O

But looking forward to getting my own section of universe to explore this weekend (the launch date is uber convenient). Will post something if i see something worth posting! ^_^

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
So I'm in a dilemma right now...

I have the funds to buy a big ship I've been saving up for. However, NONE of the ships except mine have a Hyperdrive which is needed to warp to other solar systems. So do I spent nearly 2 million and buy the big ship with plenty of inventory and upgrades but no Hyperdrive or stick with my current little pre-order ship with Hyperdrive? If I stick with my ship, I'll be confined to my current solar system which isn't so bad considering each planet has plenty to explore and mine. However, I'd eventually like to get out of this system but it's not possible without a Hyperdrive, right?

I've been on my current planet so long that I've blown shortcuts through mountains directly to all the places I need to go. I have most of this planet memorized already which goes to show you how much time I've stayed here. I've left it a few times to mine asteroids and visit the nearby space station but I've always come back. It would just be so much easier to have bigger inventory loads to sell in one shot from a bigger ship.

What to do...what to do.....buy or not buy? Lose my Hyperdrive and ability to bounce between solar systems in exchange for 9 more inventory slots (current has 16, one I want has 25)? Keep my current ship and hope they patch the game so that all ships have Hyperdrive capability?

-Dj-

Veteran
May 8, 2009
wait until they patch the game the game has a bug with the pre-orders ships that won't let you build Hyperdrive for a new ship

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="-Dj-, post: 6518462]wait until they patch the game the game has a bug with the pre-orders ships that won't let you build Hyperdrive for a new ship[/QUOTE]

Ugh...yeah I'm learning about that. I guess I'll just save a ton of money until then because there's no way I'm re-starting after getting this far. lol

*Edit- Sean Murray just posted on the official NMS site today saying how they know about the issues and are quickly working on a patch.

Last edited: