[OT] No Man's Sky

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
a couple of words[/URL] on the hype surrounding the game if anyone's interested!
Good read! I think it might have been the marketing that lead some people to believe it was going to be something else than what it is. Those of us who knew it was going to be an epic, single player, space exploration game are pretty satisfied, myself included.

I have absolutely no regrets about pre-ordering No Man's Sky. It's such a breathe of fresh air from what I'm used to playing. The sense of being on your own in this vast galaxy and making your choices about what to do and where to go is amazing. I didn't expect some crazy story narrative with tons of FPS action and multiplayer interaction. Just from paying attention to all the interviews with Sean Murray and gameplay pre-release, I knew what I was buying. It's a shame some people have given such negative feedback when IMO, it's their own fault for not knowing what they were buying.

I'm incredibly pleased with what Hello Games delivered to me, the consumer. This has been a rewarding and fulfilling experience for me from day 1 of playing. I look forward to any future updates, patches, and DLC.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Just finished my first hour. This game is everything I had hoped for so far....and I haven't even left my planet! lol. Took a bit of wandering and scavenging and LEARNING! There is a lot to figure out. Some are not going to have the patience for it, I think. Definitely not a game for everyone. But this is awesome for me. Going to spend countless hours in this universe doing everything this game has to offer.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I've seen people complaining about the games performance. I can't say my system had issues running it. Once i figured out the way the menu worked, i was able to change the settings and get 1080p60 just fine. Get a few hitches here and there when travelling about, and when doing what DF did with the PS4 (though impacted to a lesser extent), but outside those, game runs very well on PC.

About the only complaints i have are QOL issues. I left my origin system, and i spent a good 20mins looking for it again to go back to it. Would be nice to 'bookmark' select systems you've spent a lot of time in.

There needs to be a 'local' map. In the same vein as leaving the system, I left the planet to get the hyperdrive BP, and i have literally spent the majority of my time playing today trying to find the spot i originally started off in! These planets are damned huge!

Inventory management is a bit of an issue too. Would be nice of your Suit wan't also your backpack... like, get a backpack guy! You have interstellar space ships and a backpack is too hard to come by? Gotta stick all your shit in your pockets apparently.

Other things of note; The pre-purchase ship was ABSOLUTELY useless. Within an hour of playing i found a better ship just crashed on the ground. This 'hour' also included the time spent with the starter ship (not the pre-purchase ship) getting the hyperdrive BP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is it, all fixed up and hauling my shit about. This isn't where i found it though.

Game also needs a better AA solution.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
No doubt the graphics needs some work. The frame rate is all over the place for me. Considering the low system requirements, this is just strange.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Played an hour yesterday.
Performance on PC is poor, continuous lags, no proper explanation on how things work (even for an exploration game that would be useful to give at least SOME guidance in ANY direction at the least), crashed on a planet where I got killed 5 times within the first half hour because of drones and animals attacking me and not having anything proper to defend myself, controls don't even make sense in my opinion.. Why the flying fuck do I have to press my RIGHT joystick to RUN? Who made up these controls? The fuck.

Good thing though; The OST is bonkers.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
What is the problem with R3 to run? You just toggle running on and off.

The game does take a little time to figure out. Focus on gathering materials to repair your ship and it starts to make sense. The UI is not the most intuitive. But once I got the hang of it.....having a blast.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6518512]No doubt the graphics needs some work. The frame rate is all over the place for me. Considering the low system requirements, this is just strange.[/QUOTE]
May be the AMD combo is what's having issues? AMD CPU + GPU? Your system was similar to mine iirc, except for GPU. Quite strange, the only issues i get is when the game loads in new assets, i get a tiny engine stall, then the game picks back up again.

[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6518513]Played an hour yesterday.
Performance on PC is poor, continuous lags, no proper explanation on how things work (even for an exploration game that would be useful to give at least SOME guidance in ANY direction at the least), crashed on a planet where I got killed 5 times within the first half hour because of drones and animals attacking me and not having anything proper to defend myself, controls don't even make sense in my opinion.. Why the flying $#@! do I have to press my RIGHT joystick to RUN? Who made up these controls? The $#@!.

Good thing though; The OST is bonkers.[/QUOTE]
The drones are like the universe police. If you mine too much near them, kill wildlife in their presence, or attack them, they come after you. You should be able to kill them with the starting mining tool.

On the mining tools, i lucked into this beast of a mining tool. Literally takes an age to heat up, and tears through materials/enemies like butter.

I quite like the it dropped me in with nothing but a slim sense of what im doing. I've been building up my alien vocabulary. I can almost understand what they say now....almost. Give me another week and i'll have it sorted :snicker

But speaking on planets, the planet i spawned on was ace. Not too hot, not too cold, Little toxicity, Very low Radiation levels, Lots of Fauna, and all the animals were passive. I did see Shenron what i travelled to a new system though. So not looking forward to marching around those places.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6518516]The drones are like the universe police. If you mine too much near them, kill wildlife in their presence, or attack them, they come after you. You should be able to kill them with the starting mining tool.

On the mining tools, i lucked into this beast of a mining tool. Literally takes an age to heat up, and tears through materials/enemies like butter.

I quite like the it dropped me in with nothing but a slim sense of what im doing. I've been building up my alien vocabulary. I can almost understand what they say now....almost. Give me another week and i'll have it sorted :snicker

But speaking on planets, the planet i spawned on was ace. Not too hot, not too cold, Little toxicity, Very low Radiation levels, Lots of Fauna, and all the animals were passive. I did see Shenron what i travelled to a new system though. So not looking forward to marching around those places.[/QUOTE]
See I didn't have a single clue bout those drones, they were annoying bastards that's what they are!
I learned 3 words, 's all.
And yeah, my planet is continuously giving me whining messages like TOXIC LEVEL BLUBLUBLUE, RADIATION LEVEL BLUBLUBLUE, animals continuously attack me, I'm not having a blast with it so far. I'll probably give it another chance, but yeah.. Meh.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I've been having a blast. I'm up to 19 inventory slots in my exosuit which is helpful in filling up with resources (plus the inventory slots on my ship that I transfer to). I've also made somewhat of a huge underground maze right around a trading post. I have underwater tunnels which lead to other tunnels and I even put in places to get up for air. Some of the tunnels lead to the oceans and others lead to underground caves I've built. It's so cool coming back to my underground creations later and seeing all the flora and resources that have grown. It makes it easy to mine close by to the trading post while also going on this fun underground adventure.

The drones and any hostile creatures are pretty easy to deal with once you obtain the plasma cannon thing which you can use to blow holes in the planets. That's what I use for self defense and making my own shortcuts, caves, and underwater tunnels. One shot and the drones or creature die instantly.

I've explored 5 planets all within the same system but I've primarily remained on 1 planet. My trading post luckily offers above galactic average for Thamium9 (the main resource you mine from asteroids although other resources sometimes come from them too) so it's nice to fly out of the atmosphere, fill up and then come back down to sell. A great tip for fast money is to mine the hell out of asteroids, especially the big huge fat ones that take a while to blow up because they usually have more valuable stuff like nickel, iridium, etc...

These planets are so freakin' huge! I've been on my primary planet for almost an entire week now and I still keep finding new question mark areas and language stones.

Some of the underwater waypoints can be a bit frustrating because the deep ones really take a lot of oxygen just to get there. Then there might be an open building with cargo and upgrades but by that point I've run out of oxygen so I need to surface for a while and then jetpack right above where I want to go down. The force of falling from high in the sky on your jetpack helps get you a little deeper a little faster.

I just reached the 2 million units threshold. Current total at typing this: 2,149,309.

I've learned 133 words so far. Next milestone is in 17 more words. There's been a good amount of sentences I've completely understood or nearly complete minus a word or two.

Minor issues:
-I hope they patch the Hyperdrive issue ASAP which they're aware of.
-It would be nice to have a map of the planet you're on in the menu. It should show all the locations you've discovered and allow you to set waypoints if you want to return to them. The same for the space map. You should be able to see previous planets you've visited and surrounding undiscovered planets and set waypoints. Custom waypoints should be allowed too just like GTA V allows.
-It would be nice to see the trading posts and space stations a little more active and alive with aliens and perhaps food/drink or social areas, similar to how the Mass Effect series does.
-For all the things you can do, why does your character never need to eat, drink, or sleep?

Last edited:

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
It'd be nice if you could simply tell the game to transport you from one planet to the next one (only the ones you visit and the ones nearby that is).
I reached another planet but it'd be nice to be able to "quick travel" without having to do the whole space thing yourself if you don't want to.

Nov 11, 2013
I was the first to not have much interest in the thing. Then I watched more and more videos and got into it. I bought this today and spent 5 hours on it so far. The gameplay will get kinda repetive after a many more hours I know and there is not really any feel of danger to it (yet) .

HOWEVER, everything else is incredible. I can't believe that game is only 4-5 gb given the content. Props to the developpers and their planets creating code; it's genius. First time I left the first planet and went into space I really felt the size of this game and was astonished.. and then, when I opened the galactic map after the game prompt me too after 3-4 hours, my jaw dropped. The amount of galaxies and therefore planet is limitless. The managing system is very engaging and trading system is fun. There is a progression system in there and you have to be patient with it because there is stuff that will take time to have but you'll get there eventually.

For whatever negatives thing this game may have (it's a matter of opinion) you just can't say that a game with this content size it's not worth a buy.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6518513]Played an hour yesterday.
Performance on PC is poor, continuous lags, no proper explanation on how things work (even for an exploration game that would be useful to give at least SOME guidance in ANY direction at the least), crashed on a planet where I got killed 5 times within the first half hour because of drones and animals attacking me and not having anything proper to defend myself, controls don't even make sense in my opinion.. Why the flying fuck do I have to press my RIGHT joystick to RUN? Who made up these controls? The fuck.

Good thing though; The OST is bonkers.[/QUOTE]
From what I seen from others, the PC version isn't optimized that well. I don't know if console side people are having the same issues.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Seems the problems are older video cards. They probably should not have set the bar so low in their minimum requirements.

Jesus....why do I need spellcheck for "minimum" every damn time?

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I found an Easter Egg:

But then i eated it:

Found my 'spawn' Location today. It was listed as a 'Crash Site' at one of the depot's.

I think, every single 'Crash Site' is a potential spawn loaction for a new player. Whihc means there is a chance 5 or more people could spawn on the exact planet i spawned on... kinda shitty for them i guess, i named all the wildlife stupid shit like "Sonic Spawn" because it looked like a large hedgehog. I named another one "Headless Donkey"... man, im creative as fuck. Will do better in future :snicker

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6518543]I found an Easter Egg:

But then i eated it:

Found my 'spawn' Location today. It was listed as a 'Crash Site' at one of the depot's.

I think, every single 'Crash Site' is a potential spawn loaction for a new player. Whihc means there is a chance 5 or more people could spawn on the exact planet i spawned on... kinda shitty for them i guess, i named all the wildlife stupid shit like "Sonic Spawn" because it looked like a large hedgehog. I named another one "Headless Donkey"... man, im creative as fuck. Will do better in future :snicker[/QUOTE]

lol don't feel bad, this is what I've named the 5 planets I've been on:
-Alsenstasch (my first planet and the only 1 I didn't name)
-Toxic Dump
-Dead Critter Carnival
-Stoner Paradise
-Poison Rain Planet

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6518544]lol don't feel bad, this is what I've named the 5 planets I've been on:
-Alsenstasch (my first planet and the only 1 I didn't name)
-Toxic Dump
-Dead Critter Carnival
-Stoner Paradise
-Poison Rain Planet[/QUOTE]
I like "Toxic dump" Do i get a prize if i guess it's atmospherics? :snicker

I named my Second system "The System of Hank". I named the first planet i landed on "Frank". I bring dishonour to my brain. It was wanting to give it something like Gliese DLXXXI - After the Star - But nope, we went with Hank :dispirited:

I'm on my third system now, will legitimately attempt some semblance of a decent naming convention.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
-Upgraded my existing ship with shield and weapon upgrades
-Got a new multi-tool with more slots, more powerful and mines a little faster. Had to re-craft the analysis visor but it only cost 50 iron so no big deal.
-76% complete with my current planet. Hoping to discover the rest of the planet in order to get the 325,000 units for getting to 100%.
-Up to 168 words learned, maximum milestone already.
-I have 2,439,526 units at the moment. Mining those fat asteroids for nickel and iridium pays off nicely. Shoot straight up directly from the planet trading post, mine for 5 minutes, fly straight back down and make 60,000 - 180,000 (depends on how many open inventory slots you have and what the buy/sell rate is at your particular trading post since they vary) per trip.

It's nice to know they developed this game for the PS4 and the PC port was an after thought. There's nothing else like it on PS4, not even Destiny. I never get bored in this game. Love it! :p

Last edited:

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Well....I've got about 15 hours in this game starting from Friday. On my third ship, but didn't buy any of them. Just found crashed ships and repaired them. Now I'm on a quest to bump up my exosuit and ship inventory slots. Apparently, exosuit upgrades are found in Drop Pods or, if you have the Atlas Pass, on space stations. Don't think you can upgrade your ship inventory slots....just gotta get a new ship. That's a little lame, but oh well. Overall, game is helluva lot of fun.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6518587]Well....I've got about 15 hours in this game starting from Friday. On my third ship, but didn't buy any of them. Just found crashed ships and repaired them. Now I'm on a quest to bump up my exosuit and ship inventory slots. Apparently, exosuit upgrades are found in Drop Pods or, if you have the Atlas Pass, on space stations. Don't think you can upgrade your ship inventory slots....just gotta get a new ship. That's a little lame, but oh well. Overall, game is helluva lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

I still haven't found 1 Atlas Pass but I craft bypass chips all the time to find outposts, transmissions, etc... There's only 1 space station I've found in my system and they never offer an Atlas Pass. Even after watching the video here on PSU about the Atlas Pass, I can't seem to find one. You can't upgrade your ship inventory slots unless you get a new ship, that's true. However, you can upgrade your ships shields and weapons by crafting certain upgrades which take up an inventory slot.

I've found one small glitch that only started today for me. I had mentioned previously about how I created a ton of underground caves and under water tunnels. Well everyday when I've been playing, all my holes and tunnels were still there. All of a sudden today, I noticed that the majority of my tunnels and holes are gone! The odd thing is that some of them still remain but I'd say about 3/4 of them are gone as if I never made them. Very odd and kind of angered me because I spent a lot of time and resources (recharging the weapon) on them. Oh well, I'm still loving this game though.

I've been live broadcasting my gameplay on PS4 even as I type this but so far 0 viewers. :(

Last edited:

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Are you following the Atlas Path? You should come across a space anomaly at some point. Not going to find an atlas pass on a space station.

You are creating caves? Like you would do in Minecraft? lol.....didn't realize you could do that. Genuinely curious though......why create caves?

-Shafty-

overstepping the mark
Sep 7, 2007
I think to get the atlas pass you need to find a space anomaly, which is like a death star, and I only found that by warping to a new system. When I went back to my original system the place was full of those huge frigates! And pirates! And all kinds of muthafukka's after my shiz!

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6518591]Are you following the Atlas Path? You should come across a space anomaly at some point. Not going to find an atlas pass on a space station.

You are creating caves? Like you would do in Minecraft? lol.....didn't realize you could do that. Genuinely curious though......why create caves?[/QUOTE]

I already mentioned it a few times on the last page of this thread. I'll just copy part of what I wrote:

"I've also made somewhat of a huge underground maze right around a trading post. I have underwater tunnels which lead to other tunnels and I even put in places to get up for air. Some of the tunnels lead to the oceans and others lead to underground caves I've built. It's so cool coming back to my underground creations later and seeing all the flora and resources that have grown. It makes it easy to mine close by to the trading post while also going on this fun underground adventure."

Basically I made shortcuts to get to certain areas faster. Instead of jet-packing up a mountain, you could just walk right through a tunnel I made. Instead of walking forever, you can swim down into a hole I made which leads right to the resource abundant ocean, etc..so partially out of convenience and partially for fun.

I haven't left my first system so perhaps that's why I haven't seen any space anomaly yet. I don't want to leave this system until I've uploaded 100% of the discoveries on my current planet. I'm at 76% and having a hard time finding whatever creatures/flora I'm missing. Nearly every time I bust out my analysis visor, I've already discovered what I'm looking at. This particular planet rewards 325,000 units for getting 100% so once I achieve that goal, I think I'll move on to the next system.

It would be kind of odd that you don't get offered an Atlas Pass by not leaving your solar system. I thought the whole idea was that you could stay on 1 planet or 1 system the entire game which was mentioned my Sean Murray multiple times in interviews. I already see the big frigates hanging outside my planet plus the space station I mentioned. Perhaps I just haven't flown 360 around all the planets to discover a space anomaly yet?

I still have my original ship with Hyperdrive in case I want to leave the system. In the mean time, I've racked up a comfortable 2,556,421 units so far which can afford me any ship I've ever come across. I think the most expensive ships I've found thus far was around 1,800,000 - 2,500,000, with 25 slots max.

Last edited:

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6518593]

It would be kind of odd that you don't get offered an Atlas Pass by not leaving your solar system. I thought the whole idea was that you could stay on 1 planet or 1 system the entire game which was mentioned my Sean Murray multiple times in interviews. I already see the big frigates hanging outside my planet plus the space station I mentioned. Perhaps I just haven't flown 360 around all the planets to discover a space anomaly yet?
[/QUOTE]

Following the Atlas Path is totally optional. You can do whatever you want, like Murray said. But pretty sure you are not going to find the atlas pass that way. I had to jump to 5 or 6 systems before I found the anomaly.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6518597]Following the Atlas Path is totally optional. You can do whatever you want, like Murray said. But pretty sure you are not going to find the atlas pass that way. I had to jump to 5 or 6 systems before I found the anomaly.[/QUOTE]

Now you have me intrigued. I think I'm going to jump systems shortly then because I've hit up every planet in this system. Only two of the six planets in this system are visually pleasing and non-toxic.

Time to find that Atlas Pass! :)

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I made a mistake of following a guide to get my Atlas Pass. lol....it was totally wrong. Or, more accurately, it was wrong for ME! From what I can tell, there is no set script in the Atlas Path. You could end up with a Pass in only a couple of jumps. So avoid the guides! I thought my game was glitched when it wasn't!

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6518599]I made a mistake of following a guide to get my Atlas Pass. lol....it was totally wrong. Or, more accurately, it was wrong for ME! From what I can tell, there is no set script in the Atlas Path. You could end up with a Pass in only a couple of jumps. So avoid the guides! I thought my game was glitched when it wasn't![/QUOTE]

lol Oh man I feel dumb now. I just did my first system jump. I was given the blueprint for Hyperdrive which was nice. I was also given a blueprint to upgrade my jetpack which is also nice. I also found a new multi-tool which has 11 slots compared to my last that had 8. However, this system has a completely new alien race from the last system so all the 170 words I learned mean nothing here! lol I'm back to square one with learning their language. Now I need to go mine elements on planets to upgrade my multi-tool, jetpack, and ship. The fun never ends! :D

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I need to really focus on upgrading my ship. Got into a dogfight and went through a ton of resources trying to keep my shields up before I got blown to space dust.

[QUOTE="-Shafty-, post: 6518592]I think to get the atlas pass you need to find a space anomaly, which is like a death star, and I only found that by warping to a new system. When I went back to my original system the place was full of those huge frigates! And pirates! And all kinds of muthafukka's after my shiz![/QUOTE]

lol....I doubt I could find my original system at this point. I guess I could look back the systems I have recorded and find a path....but.....fuck it. Moving forward!