[OT] No Man's Sky

Nov 11, 2013
I would flesh out the planets you have in your system because once you warp out its very hard at least as far as I know finding back the previous system since there is so many system on the galactic map . But yeah I had to warp two time for the game to pick up and tell me hey you got this atlas thing going on for you and then their was new infos on the galactic map.

FYI an extremely helpful trick I picked up on YouTube is to press melee (R1) while walking or running and at about the same time push X for the jetpack. This makes travelling on foot so much faster and enjoyable. You can leave your ship behind , scan areas for knowledge stones and what not . Then when you reach certain types of points of interest (which are all about 2-3 minutes of walk from each other.. smart) you just bypass the terminal outside close to the building and it lands close to you. It's awesome !

Last edited:

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Ovech-King, post: 6518611]I would flesh out the planets you have in your system because once you warp out its very hard at least as far as I know finding back the previous system since there is so many system on the galactic map . But yeah I had to warp two time for the game to pick up and tell me hey you got this atlas thing going on for you and then their was new infos on the galactic map.

FYI an extremely helpful trick I picked up on YouTube is to press melee (R1) while walking or running and at about the same time push X for the jetpack. This makes travelling on foot so much faster and enjoyable. You can leave your ship behind , scan areas for knowledge stones and what not . Then when you reach certain types of points of interest (which are all about 2-3 minutes of walk from each other.. smart) you just bypass the terminal outside close to the building and it lands close to you. It's awesome ![/QUOTE]

ah...yeah. That is good tip. I had noticed the ship summon thing, but only when my ship was already there. I'll have to try that out.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Ovech-King, post: 6518611]
FYI an extremely helpful trick I picked up on YouTube is to press melee (R1) while walking or running and at about the same time push X for the jetpack. This makes travelling on foot so much faster and enjoyable. You can leave your ship behind , scan areas for knowledge stones and what not . Then when you reach certain types of points of interest (which are all about 2-3 minutes of walk from each other.. smart) you just bypass the terminal outside close to the building and it lands close to you. It's awesome ![/QUOTE]

Great tip! However, I prefer not to waste my plutonium (needed for lifting off) and iron for a bypass chip unless I'm using one to find a colonial outpost or transmission. I don't mind walking up to 3-5 minutes away from my ship and then going back. I'm always scanning and finding new stuff to and from the ship. It's nice when you come across a big area of language stones because it saves on spending carbon to talk with the aliens and get a word every other time.

I just had the ship I was going to buy, a Brigadier something with 25 slots. It was the biggest ship I've seen so far in the game but the lifeform wanted 2,599,000 for it and I had about 2,415,000 at the time. So I left the space station, quickly did two separate mining runs for nickel, iridium, and thanium9 from nearby asteroids and came back. I sold everything, had enough money and the ship was gone. I've been waiting in the space station for the past 30 minutes waiting for another one to come.

I've seen multiple ships of almost every other kind except the one I want. I see tons of these Scout ships with 24 slots but they're small and don't look like they have balls like the one I want. lol So I'm just going to be patient so I can blow my money load on this massive ship. Having 9 more slots than my current ship will be very useful.

*Edit - Nevermind, just came across a 5 million dollar 29 slot ship and saw a Youtube video where a dude found a 36 million dollar ship with 43 slots!

Last edited:

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
what a pile of shit this game is, i rented it by accident, tried and wanted to kill myself. how this passes as "game" is beyond me. just cos its a sony exclusive, doesnt mean its great.

i wanna fight anyone who thinks this "game" is good!

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6518615]what a pile of shit this game is, i rented it by accident, tried and wanted to kill myself. how this passes as "game" is beyond me. just cos its a sony exclusive, doesnt mean its great.

i wanna fight anyone who thinks this "game" is good![/QUOTE]

Bhindi_Bhajji

Superior Member
Jun 5, 2006
I'm really enjoying this game, it's almost taking my back to my days of playing Frontier Elite 2 on my trusty old Amiga 1200!

Got myself a nice 26 slot ship, 18 slot multi-tool and 22 slot exosuit with 2.6mil in the bank.

I've been lucky and found deposits of Gold (220/unit) and Emoril (275/unit) so making money has been pretty speedy.

I've started seeing ships with over 30 slots now, these weigh in at well over 10million, one with 35 slots was 15 million or so!!

I'm currently happily exploring my 3rd system trying to get as many words as I can, although I'm getting the urge to move on as I have 5 warp cells and a sigma warp reactor.

I do keep getting an annoying launch bug though where I get flung all the way into space upon take-off, it's frustrating!

I have some minor gripes:

Being able to sell/trade in the ship would be nice.

Seeing NPC's get in and out of their ships when they are in spaceports/trading posts would also be nice. The space stations are large, but there's no-one there.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Bhindi_Bhajji, post: 6518621]
I have some minor gripes:

Being able to sell/trade in the ship would be nice.

Seeing NPC's get in and out of their ships when they are in spaceports/trading posts would also be nice. The space stations are large, but there's no-one there.[/QUOTE]

Yes! I completely agree. More of a Mass Effect social setting would be nice instead of just seeing their ships.

I too just found an element rich planet (I named it Element Rich Sauna because it's hot) that is going to be my mine for a while. HUGE deposits of gold, nickel, heridium, platinum and more. Another awesome thing is that the space station I'm using as my current hub buys plutonium from me for +98.2% Galactic Average!! :)

I just bought a 25 slot 2.4 million unit ship so I finally got rid of my pre-order ship. Just saw a YT video where a guy found a 36 million 43 slot ship so clearly they get bigger and more expensive as you progress.

Last edited:

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Just posting my opinion here:

Game runs like garbage on PC, which is unfortunate. It must be an internal issue with the engine, because the game seems to run effectively the same whether it's on low or max. There's no excuses in releasing a broken game even if the developer is an indie team. I can max every other game out there but No Man's Sky is barely chugging along at times. Also, I have to restart the client to make any graphical changes. That's really bad. I've had two crashes now.

As for the gameplay, it's okay. It feels like the framework for a full game is here but there's no meat on the bones yet. It feels like an early-access title right now. Flying around can be fun and exploring new worlds is sometimes interesting, but after a few hours the repetition really sets in. It really is fly to planet, shoot for resources, fly to station, sell, fly to planet...

"Inventory full," really kills the mood to play after you hear it for the 100th time. There's some other stuff to find (like uncovering the alien language), but even that gets old and repetitive. The worlds also become boring once you see how they're all basically the same with only a few alterations (color schemes, flora, etc). Also why no full manual control in space or on planets? A space game does not need invisible walls or a guiding hand.

It's more like a 10-15$ game imo. For 60$ I would expect a developed questline, procedural side quests, more varied stations and alien life, more interaction with the NPCs, more detail in the environments, etc.

I'm hoping the developers will add content over time to flesh out the game.

Last edited:
May 23, 2005
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6518623]Just posting my opinion here:

Game runs like garbage on PC, which is unfortunate. It must be an internal issue with the engine, because the game seems to run effectively the same whether it's on low or max. There's no excuses in releasing a broken game even if the developer is an indie team. I can max every other game out there but No Man's Sky is barely chugging along at times. Also, I have to restart the client to make any graphical changes. That's really bad. I've had two crashes now.

As for the gameplay, it's okay. It feels like the framework for a full game is here but there's no meat on the bones yet. It feels like an early-access title right now. Flying around can be fun and exploring new worlds is sometimes interesting, but after a few hours the repetition really sets in. It really is fly to planet, shoot for resources, fly to station, sell, fly to planet...

"Inventory full," really kills the mood to play after you hear it for the 100th time. There's some other stuff to find (like uncovering the alien language), but even that gets old and repetitive. The worlds also become boring once you see how they're all basically the same with only a few alterations (color schemes, flora, etc). Also why no full manual control in space or on planets? A space game does not need invisible walls of a guiding hand.

It's more like a 10-15$ game imo. For 60$ I would expect a developed questline, procedural side quests, more varied stations and alien life, more interaction with the NPCs, more detail in the environments, etc.

I'm hoping the developers will add content over time to flesh out the game.[/QUOTE]

You've confirmed all my concerns on this tittle.
Sure its fun to just roam collecting, crafting, upgrading but if there is only limited variations with nothing else to really do it will become repetitive after just a few hours. Other things that concern me is the limited inventory and automatic piloting. This game has potential but it feels like it's missing something.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
For me it's a lot of fun. The slow progression of upgrading your exosuit, ship, mining tool, weapons, slowly understanding the various alien lifeforms, and making your way to the center of the galaxy is fun to me.

My gripes are relatively minor:
-should have maps in the menu for planets and the solar system you're in, be able to set waypoints and re-visit places you've been to from past systems
-more alien/NPC present, more social interaction, perhaps a lounge area where aliens are just hanging out and drinking where you can chat with them about various topics or trade with them
-when you're flying in space, perhaps you run into a random alien or aliens that are hostile or friendly and you have to choose what to say, then what you say determines if they try to attack you or perhaps help you or give you an upgrade
-more building diversity on the planets with more to see/do inside those buildings besides the usual talk to 1 alien, solve a riddle/puzzle, upgrade a mining tool/weapon, get full health/shields, etc..

So I guess all in all I can see how it might've been beneficial if they would've put another 3-6 months into developing the game more but I'm pretty happy with it. I think we'll see them try to incorporate some things with future updates/DLC.

If I had to give NMS a rating right now just based on what I've played of it, I think a solid 9/10 or 4 out of 5 stars would be my fair assessment.

Abdou23

Forum Elder
Sep 16, 2008
Egypt
I didn't buy the game, but I think it's a missed opportunity( at least for now) from the very first moment I heard about I thought that it's a tech demo at best, the only aspect they kept talking about for 2 years was how giant and random the universe is, they didn't talk much about anything else, which doesn't make it much of a game really, but I'm glad for the people who are enjoying it and saying that it's not at all repetitive. If I was asked what features I want to see in this game in order to buy it, here are couple:

- Ability to craft a ship, build rooms in it ( kinda like making it your own house) craft weapons and defences for it.
- Add factions, and the faction with the most discovered planets gets extra benefits.
- Multiplayer co-op (Duh!) or at least make it like an MMO where you can see other people in a hub area or something, and trade stuff with them.
- Adding tougher enemies like bosses who spawn in certain areas.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6518615] just cos its a sony exclusive, doesnt mean its great.

[/QUOTE]

It isn't a Sony exclusive. Has nothing to do with the discussion.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6518587]Well....I've got about 15 hours in this game starting from Friday. On my third ship, but didn't buy any of them. Just found crashed ships and repaired them. Now I'm on a quest to bump up my exosuit and ship inventory slots. Apparently, exosuit upgrades are found in Drop Pods or, if you have the Atlas Pass, on space stations. Don't think you can upgrade your ship inventory slots....just gotta get a new ship. That's a little lame, but oh well. Overall, game is helluva lot of fun.[/QUOTE]
I bought my third ship for 2 millions credits :snicker

Saw this behemoth with inventory slots that went off the screen. But the guy wanted 5 million. That's basically the total amount of all the credits i've earned currently.

I landed on a planet yesterday, and i would describe it as a venerable gold mine. There are Spires of Emeril (one of the most valuable resources in the game) all over the place. At first i thought it was a bug that the scanner was picking them up stretching 100m+ underground. But nope, they are massive deposits. Mining one takes ~20mins, and nets 1 million credits. The planet is also littered with the drop pods for your suit upgrades, my inventory space is massive right now.

[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6518623]"Inventory full," really kills the mood to play after you hear it for the 100th time. There's some other stuff to find (like uncovering the alien language), but even that gets old and repetitive. The worlds also become boring once you see how they're all basically the same with only a few alterations (color schemes, flora, etc). Also why no full manual control in space or on planets? A space game does not need invisible walls of a guiding hand.[/QUOTE]
The inventory thing gets less of an issue as you go.

You need to use your Ship, as well as upgrade your suits inventory slots. Your ship can stack twice as many materials as your suit can. So if you are farming something, it's a good idea to move them to your ship. You also don't really need to hold onto resources. As far as i've seen, you're always going to find plutonium, to take off, and once you've taken off, you're always going to find Thamium in space.

Did you download the experimental patch? The devs don't recommend it, but if you are having issues go to the Beta section for No Man's Sky and use this code '3xperimental'. Additionally, both Nvidia and AMD will release their NMS drivers next week. That could help. The NMs devs are looking into using their own caching tech instead of the shader caches built into the gpu's. That may also help with the hitching.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Yeah....I'm progressively upgrading my exosuit for more inventory slots. Really makes a difference once you've added a few. I look for drop pods on planets and Atlas Pass rooms on space stations. I can see where it would come across as too restrictive in beginning. Especially when you are trying to repair your ship and figure the game out.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Apparently the PC version is massively glitchy. I guess I'll have to wait for the first patch to come out. :(

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I can only speak for my own experience. No major problems on PC myself. A few frame rate slowdowns every now and then, but rare. I dunno. I'm lucky?

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6518637]Apparently the PC version is massively glitchy. I guess I'll have to wait for the first patch to come out. :([/QUOTE]
It seems a bit more hit and miss tbh, with regards to performance. Nev has a much better PC than I, but the game runs extremely well on my PC, but not on his. The only real issue for me is the occasional hitching (which gets better the longer I play). Outside that, the game is pretty much 1080p60 for me. It wobbles to 50 at times (around the bigger outposts) but the hitching when you get things loading is really the only detractor on my end.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Wow....that is kind of crazy. Hopefully they fix this stuff pretty soon.

lol....like Chewie said at least they optimized the PS4 version.

-Dj-

Veteran
May 8, 2009
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6518637]Apparently the PC version is massively glitchy. I guess I'll have to wait for the first patch to come out. :([/QUOTE]
the first one is out

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
Just curious how much units/money everyone has so far? For those in the 2 million or more range, what are your tips/tricks for fast money? I've already posted a bunch that I use. I'm just curious what works best for you?

Nov 11, 2013
Interesting finding, I guess I should stop staying in my third solar system and spending 10 hours in each LOL

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/a-guide-to-the-4-star-classes-in-no-mans-sky-and-why-theyre-important

Yellow Stars/Class G or F
These are the default star systems you can travel to from the start of the game. Mostly basic resources can be be found on the planets present within them, and a lot of the planets are barren.
Red Stars/Class K or M
You need a warp reactor sigma upgrade to travel to these stars. Planets will have slightly rarer resources on them, and more planets will be habited with fauna and flora.
Green Stars/Class E
You need warp reactor tau upgrade to have the ability to travel to these systems. They contain even rarer resources and even more planets will be tropical/lush.
Blue Stars/Class B or O
You need a warp reactor theta upgrade to travel to these systems. Planets will have a chance of having even the rarest resources on them, and a higher chance of being lush with plentiful plant and animal life.

Last edited:

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/a-guide-to-the-4-star-classes-in-no-mans-sky-and-why-theyre-important[/URL]

That's interesting because I'm in a class G or F system and I have massively huge gold, nickel, aluminum, and hiridum deposits. More important is that the local space station buys plutonium for +98.2% Galactic Avg. when my last system paid maybe +4.0% Galactic Avg.! So that's incentive enough for me to stay a while and mine the hell out of gold and plutonium. Heck I've even just sat in the space station and bought plutonium from aliens for -4 to +4 galactic avg and then go inside and sell to the droid on the wall for the +98.2% and make a profit.

These are the default star systems you can travel to from the start of the game. Mostly basic resources can be be found on the planets present within them, and a lot of the planets are barren.
Red Stars/Class K or M
You need a warp reactor sigma upgrade to travel to these stars. Planets will have slightly rarer resources on them, and more planets will be habited with fauna and flora.
Green Stars/Class E
You need warp reactor tau upgrade to have the ability to travel to these systems. They contain even rarer resources and even more planets will be tropical/lush.
Blue Stars/Class B or O
You need a warp reactor theta upgrade to travel to these systems. Planets will have a chance of having even the rarest resources on them, and a higher chance of being lush with plentiful plant and animal life.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
^Don't know why it double posted because I quoted and typed this all at the same time....?

That's interesting because I'm in a class G or F system and I have massively huge gold, nickel, aluminum, and hiridum deposits on 1 nearby planet. I know they're not "rare" but they're somewhat valuable. More important is that the local space station buys plutonium for +98.2% Galactic Avg. when my last system paid maybe +4.0% Galactic Avg.! So that's incentive enough for me to stay a while and mine the hell out of gold and plutonium. Heck I've even just sat in the space station and bought plutonium from aliens for -4 to +4 galactic avg and then go inside and sell to the droid on the wall for the +98.2% and make a profit.

Last edited:

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
http://www.psu.com/review/30850/No-Mans-Sky-PS4-Review[/URL]

A solid 7.5, this game seems to be quite divisive but truly great for those with the patience to work through it. Glad to see yours truly gets a mention in the review too! :cool:
While it was an interesting opinion, I have to agree with some of the comments people made after the article. It seems a bit early to give it a proper review when even the reviewer himself states he only put 40 plus hours into it. I've put more hours into NMS than the reviewer himself but that doesn't necessarily make one opinion more meaningful than the other.

I would've waited until a full month had gone by since release or sometime after the first big update/patch. The reviewer has no clue what things might be fixed, tweaked, or improved on future updates...just saying. It was well written though and he backed up his reasoning for each aspect of the review. :D

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Don't know if anyone has seen it, or if everyone and their favourite news outlet only cares about bitching about NMS "problems":
Sean Murray | August 7 said:
Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters. Temporal AA and my new cloud rendering tech should be coming soon too. It will really change the game again, and enhance it visually.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/
I could go for the base building thing. But first you'd need the ability to bookmark where your base is. As it stands, the second you leave your system, your base is likely to be lost forever :snicker

Looking forward to the Temporal AA solution. Generally comparable to SMAA in blurriness, but its results in motion are far superior.... Anything is better than FXAA though. That solution needs to be dumped.

I could also go for something similar to Star Citizen - With the insides of the ships being filled out a bit more - Obviously with nothing equalling the elaborate intricacies of SC. Just a bit of aesthetics to let the player know that yes, this is my ship, and i spend a hell of a lot of time in it. Or maybe even just the interiors inside the freighters, since the current ships may be too small.

[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6518647]Just curious how much units/money everyone has so far? For those in the 2 million or more range, what are your tips/tricks for fast money? I've already posted a bunch that I use. I'm just curious what works best for you?[/QUOTE]
I made a video:
[video=youtube;062a5r0fULU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=062a5r0fULU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

These spires are all over the planet im on. Some of them are right beside each other.

Currently im just over 5 million, after spending 2 million on the ship a while back - See above post. I doubt i'll farm it much more after 5 million though. It's tedious as fuck :lol:
But i want 5 million in the event i cross paths with that trader who's ship had like 30+ slots.

That same planet im on with the Emeril Spires also has an abundance of drop pods, you can see briefly the amount of slots i have in my inventory - The video was taken over the weekend, i've gotten more since then. Kinda trying to figure out what i should name the planet, was going to go with "The Bank" since money, but then i was going to name it fourways farm (+rep to any brit who remembers this old classic! ;)). So i don't know... i'll figure it out before i leave the planet behind.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
Damn Fijiandoce I need to find some Emeril because you make a boat load of money pretty quick! Pretty nice that your trading post was really close by too.

Looking forward to the future updates they have planned too!

*Edit - I found a planet with huge Emeril deposits!! BINGO! Making around 500,000 - 700,000 in about 20-25 minutes (damn they take a while to mine!), selling at a nearby outpost. :)

Last edited:

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6518629]It isn't a Sony exclusive. Has nothing to do with the discussion.[/QUOTE]
Console exclusive to Sony, same ting!

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6518668]Console exclusive to Sony, same ting![/QUOTE]

It has NOTHING to do with the discussion. If that is all you have to offer then just move on.

BACK ON TOPIC

[QUOTE="Ovech-King, post: 6518648]Interesting finding, I guess I should stop staying in my third solar system and spending 10 hours in each LOL

http://www.gamerevolution.com/featu...asses-in-no-mans-sky-and-why-theyre-important

Red Stars/Class K or M
Green Stars/Class E
Blue Stars/Class B or O
You need a warp reactor theta upgrade to travel to these systems. Planets will have a chance of having even the rarest resources on them, and a higher chance of being lush with plentiful plant and animal life.[/QUOTE]

wow....that is interesting stuff. Keep finding out things about this game. Crazy how much there is to it that you don't see at first. I've got 24 hours in the game and never occurred to me that the color of the stars correspond to the planet resources. Good stuff!

Last edited:

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6518639]I can only speak for my own experience. No major problems on PC myself. A few frame rate slowdowns every now and then, but rare. I dunno. I'm lucky?[/QUOTE]
Maybe I'll give it a shot then, just been hearing of some issues with it on PC.