[OT] No Man's Sky

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Also, another issue with the game is that it doesn't have the content of polish we saw in the trailers and videos leading up to it Anyone see this video? Not trying to mock the game but it's a pretty good point to make.

What happened to the AI interacting with each other? Herds? The mountains in the background (all planets are relatively flat, with hills)? Even vegetative planets don't look as good as they did in the original showings. The graphics are not nearly as pleasing and even 'lush' worlds feel like a wasteland.

There's a lot of missing gameplay and content elements that is what got people hyped for the title that simply isn't in the game. Not trying to dissuade anyone's opinion here. If you enjoy the game that's fine. But Hello Games and Sean Murry lied and pulled a blatant EA/Ubisoft on everyone, which is not cool. There's a thread here detailing with quotes and citations the content missing from the game that was claimed to make its way into the game or was shown.

I understand some of this is simply Hello Games being far too ambitious with their goals and not being capable of achieving them, but this much? I'm not sure how anyone can be cool with this level of lying and manipulation going on. Now, to be fair, I've heard the patch is fixing some of these issues and implementing some missing content, but after being delayed and for 60$ I expect better. Right now it feels more like an inventory manager in space rather than an actual space game.

TB's own video on the subject, if anyone is interested:

[video=youtube;JCG9YLeIB98]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCG9YLeIB98[/video]

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
If anyone on PS4 is interested, I just posted a few pics of a huge Emeril deposit I found. It was actually even fatter before I took the first screenshot but you get the idea. The damn thing went way up into the sky and really deep into the ground. Check it out on the PSU Communities page on PS4.

It was so big, I had all my exosuit and ship inventory slots filled with it and I still didn't get it all. I ended up running out of resources from recharging my mining tool a billion times so I went around meleeing carbon trees. lol :D

Nov 11, 2013
The easiest way I think for storing mined stuff is to find exo suit upgrade station across every planet. It's an easier to keep more stuff because getting a bigger ship is a way bigger expanse , so bump that suit !

Also latest story for my latest play:

Finally came across an annoying planet; general temperature was -85 C but every five minutes or so a solar storm was coming back putting the temperature at +145 C; could only stay outside the ship like 30 seconds. It's good to see some more extreme situation coming up because now I feel i'm scratching the surface of more exciting diversity to come. You can also notice that by seeing in trades sometime products that are not even yet useful for any blueprint. that's means more to come eventually !

I'm about 29 count of nickel away from having my warp tau. I arrived on a planet , and came across a huge rock of Nickel I was like nice but then couldnt find another one! but the problem is they look very similar to standard rock and when you fly around also very similar to heredium. However good news is there was tons of aluminium on this same planet (you need 800)

I changed planet to see if I could get the remaining units and also do some trade talk with aliens visiting the space station but so far neither of those guys or terminal have. I almost think the game is trolling me haha. On the other hand one of the alien on space station had 3 freaking dynamic resonator to sell which was definitly helpful for the 2 warp drive upgrade. Sigma need 1 and the Tau need 2. Gotta keep looking and then those red|greens stars will be mine !!

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Ovech-King, post: 6518696]The easiest way I think for storing mined stuff is to find exo suit upgrade station across every planet. It's an easier to keep more stuff because getting a bigger ship is a way bigger expanse , so bump that suit ![/QUOTE]
Ship carries twice as many resources though. My ship has 15 slots free for materials, i would need 30 exo suit slots to carry an equivalent amount of materials. At that number, you would have sunk enough units for a new ship anyways - I think the last upgrade i got cost 200k for the latest slot bought.

On the suits though... why isn't there a kiosk that sells suit upgrades for exorbitant amounts of money? Why can i only pick them up off of crashed pods? Kinda odd gameplay choice. If i have the money to burn, i should be able to pick them up reliably from a determined location. If i don't have the money to burn, i can do the whole 'Explore' thing and find some, and instead of units, it would take materials to bust open the pod for the upgrade.... c'est la vie i guess.

[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6518662]Damn Fijiandoce I need to find some Emeril because you make a boat load of money pretty quick! Pretty nice that your trading post was really close by too.

Looking forward to the future updates they have planned too!

*Edit - I found a planet with huge Emeril deposits!! BINGO! Making around 500,000 - 700,000 in about 20-25 minutes (damn they take a while to mine!), selling at a nearby outpost. :)[/QUOTE]
Good to see you found some Emeril ;)

I managed to get my mining down to ~15 mins, still too long for me to do it for any great length of time, but much better than when i first found them and it took me a whopping 30 mins!

-Shafty-

overstepping the mark
Sep 7, 2007
I have a dilemma. Got a good looking ship with 23 slots and I have just shy of 6m units to buy another, but I have filled my hyperdrive up with enough warp cells to travel quite far! All the new ships I look at are empty as far as warping goes.... blurgh!

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="-Shafty-, post: 6518703]I have a dilemma. Got a good looking ship with 23 slots and I have just shy of 6m units to buy another, but I have filled my hyperdrive up with enough warp cells to travel quite far! All the new ships I look at are empty as far as warping goes.... blurgh![/QUOTE]
sucks to be you, shafty :snicker

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
Well, having spent 10's of enjoyable hours with the game I'm thinking its time to start anew.

My thinking is that with all that I've learned while playing, I should now restart and put into practice much much earlier the things I've learned along the way so far.

For instance, all the crashed ships I've found and never thought once of repairing and using them instead of the one I already had. While all along saving credits to buy one elsewhere.

I mean ffs just last night I realised I could craft grenades and blow holes into the ground or launch one at a crop of various ores/plants and collect a lot of materials in one. Yes, the icon was just sat there all this time and not once did I select it to stock up on amo. :facepalm:

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
ah man.....grenades? sigh.....bet that would have saved a bunch of time.

I'm about to buy a new ship. Got $4 million saved up. But....what really sucks is that I can't sell my old ship. Can't trade it in or nothing. Just have to leave it behind? Kinda lame.

edit: Hmmm....grenades do a lot of damage, but it doesn't look like it yields nearly the amount of resources that the mining tool does.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2015
Southeast VA
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6518707]ah man.....grenades? sigh.....bet that would have saved a bunch of time.

I'm about to buy a new ship. Got $4 million saved up. But....what really sucks is that I can't sell my old ship. Can't trade it in or nothing. Just have to leave it behind? Kinda lame.

edit: Hmmm....grenades do a lot of damage, but it doesn't look like it yields nearly the amount of resources that the mining tool does.[/QUOTE]
In my experience, the grenades don't yield much. I only get 2 pieces per grenade. I guess it's more for mining than resource collecting.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Grenades are really good for mining rare minerals. Just lump a good potato on the ground right where it sits and you get em all in one shot. Then stop playing. /s

Nov 11, 2013
[QUOTE="Ovech-King, post: 6518696]

I'm about 29 count of nickel away from having my warp tau. I arrived on a planet , and came across a huge rock of Nickel I was like nice but then couldnt find another one! but the problem is they look very similar to standard rock and when you fly around also very similar to heredium. However good news is there was tons of aluminium on this same planet (you need 800)

I changed planet to see if I could get the remaining units and also do some trade talk with aliens visiting the space station but so far neither of those guys or terminal have. I almost think the game is trolling me haha. [/QUOTE]

I meet an alien on an outpost and he had nickel to sell ... alleluiah I said to my self; 30 seconds later the game crashed. Hahaha this game is trolling me big time. I did upgrade to Warp Drive Sigma and went on RED star, Upon arriving a star wars battle was going on and I was one vs 7 LOL . You can see some little differences vs the YELLOW , its already cool to see evolution. 2nd planet I hit had extreme storm of 315 Celcius now and then. GREEN and BLUE stars should be very interesting

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08...d-next-week-to-fix-urgent-and-critical-issues

It looks like patches are right around the corner.

I don't know about anyone else but with my PS4 version, I've been experiencing one odd glitch. When I'm on a planet and I go to take off (holding R2 for a few seconds), sometimes it suddenly shoots my ship up into the atmosphere or space and I have to fly back down through the atmosphere and hopefully find where I was. It doesn't happen every time but I'd say out of 10 take offs it happens 3 or 4 out of the 10.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Does anybody know if you can call your ship to you? I'm currently 45 mins away from my ship, and i can't be arsed walking the distance to it....

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Annoyed to death;
Got my PS4 copy and installed it, going to try get platinum out of this so at least I get something out of the game.
I'm at 85% of my first planet but for some reason I can't find the thing(s) that are needed for the last 15% ... Scanned lots of animals, plants and found some new points already yet it's still at flippin 85%.
>.>

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6518757]Does anybody know if you can call your ship to you? I'm currently 45 mins away from my ship, and i can't be arsed walking the distance to it....[/QUOTE]

Yes there are a few outposts here and there where you can call your ship but it costs you a bypass chip, so use wisely. I accidentally called my ship once when it was 1 minute from me. :razz:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
SO I was doing a Silent Hill themed naming run in one system, and I try to name one of the creatures (big fat thing with 6 legs) a closer, and it gets blocked by the profanity filter... Can't figure that one out for the life of me, but it was made in the UK, and there are like 4x as many potentially offensive words in the UK as in the US.

... unless it's that they don't want to chance a reference to a nine inch nails song?

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6518760]SO I was doing a Silent Hill themed naming run in one system, and I try to name one of the creatures (big fat thing with 6 legs) a closer, and it gets blocked by the profanity filter... Can't figure that one out for the life of me, but it was made in the UK, and there are like 4x as many potentially offensive words in the UK as in the US.

... unless it's that they don't want to chance a reference to a nine inch nails song?[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge NIN fan. One of my favorites of all time!

I have every album including the remixes and instrumentals and soundtrack/score work. Trent Reznor did the score for the game Quake on PC in the 90s, longtime drummer Chris Vrenna did the American McGee's Alice (PC) score from 2000 (which you can also play in Alice Madness Returns because it's included), and Trent did the COD Black Ops II theme. Then of course you have his Grammy winning Girl with the Dragon Tattoo score and Oscar winning The Social Network score. There's also a ton of other stuff but I won't go on. :p

Sad to hear their touring keyboard player from '91-'94 James Woolley passed away on Monday after falling from a ladder and sustaining fatal neck injuries. :(

Back on topic: As for naming something "Closer" and it being rejected, that's just really odd. I've tried naming things a few bad words too and one of them worked by changing the spelling. There's a creature on one of my planets I named Pnishead because, well...it looked like one. :p

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
Was doing a numbers system.
System 1, planet 2, 3, 4 etc and then the rocks, plants, animals 5, 6, 7 etc.
Got to 69 and the profanity filter said no...

Also, found a few butterflies.
[video=youtube;4R914ruhr6s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R914ruhr6s[/video]

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6518759]Yes there are a few outposts here and there where you can call your ship but it costs you a bypass chip, so use wisely. I accidentally called my ship once when it was 1 minute from me. :razz:[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I think i might need to find an outpost and hope they are selling one, cause i don't gots one on me. Oh well, probably got a long walk ahead of me.

Saying that, one tip when moving around large bodies of water. If you jet pack up, and then fall into the water, you don't lose the falling momentum if you gently correct the direction you are facing. So you can speed around as if you are falling. But make a sharp turn, or hit something and you'll lose that momentum. Found this out when i did some cave diving. Found this mother heffing monster just lying deep inside one cave and it proceeded to hunt my ass down... Weird thing though, i got my scan of it as it was approaching, the "Diet" for the monster is quoted as being "Insects". Confirmed, we are space insects!

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6518775]Thanks! I think i might need to find an outpost and hope they are selling one, cause i don't gots one on me. Oh well, probably got a long walk ahead of me.

Saying that, one tip when moving around large bodies of water. If you jet pack up, and then fall into the water, you don't lose the falling momentum if you gently correct the direction you are facing. So you can speed around as if you are falling. But make a sharp turn, or hit something and you'll lose that momentum. Found this out when i did some cave diving. Found this mother heffing monster just lying deep inside one cave and it proceeded to hunt my ass down... Weird thing though, i got my scan of it as it was approaching, the "Diet" for the monster is quoted as being "Insects". Confirmed, we are space insects![/QUOTE]

lol Just FYI, you craft bypass chips so you don't need an outpost to buy them, just the proper elements. You just need an outpost or certain waypoint or trading post to find the computer looking things that call your ship.

Nov 11, 2013
got trolled by the game again; was mining this huge chunk of iridium ; then when I was almost done game crashed. spawn back right in front of the iridium upon re opening. started mining and when almost done crashed again . lol third time I stopped mid way to break the pattern but it's almost like the game say FU user not getting away with so much good material hahaha

Dec 16, 2006
In your urinary tract
I really hate the inventory system in this game and that upgrading something requires additional slots. Not to mention the fact that fuel for all the different shields, life support, multi-tool fuel need to be kept in the same slots.

billm0066

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2006
Couple of random questions.

Is there one drop pod for each planet? That's where you get another inventory slot in your suit right?
How do you add more slots to your multi tool?
How do people get so much money? Are they finding a planet with good resources and just mining/selling at a space station?
I'm in my third star system with the original ship. When should I buy a new ship?

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="billm0066, post: 6518854]Couple of random questions.

Is there one drop pod for each planet? That's where you get another inventory slot in your suit right?
How do you add more slots to your multi tool?
How do people get so much money? Are they finding a planet with good resources and just mining/selling at a space station?
I'm in my third star system with the original ship. When should I buy a new ship?[/QUOTE]

In order they were asked:
  1. There is more than a single drop pod on each planet. Much, much more than one. The planets are massive. I'd wager there are several hundred on each planet.
  2. You need to acquire a new multi-tool. I've generally found them on the walls in outposts. Though you can get them as rewards from choosing the right answer to an aliens question.
  3. See my post on the other page as to how i got all my money, i included a video :snicker
  4. I found a better ship quite quickly when i started. It was just crashed there. Generally it is a good idea to have a better ship (with more inventory slots) as soon as you are able. they can stack twice as much materials as your suit can carry (250 vs 500), meaning a ship is worth double what your suit inventory space is if you are stacking lots of same materials. I just recently bought one for 10 million units, but you can find them planetside at crash sites. You can get their locations from the outposts with the minigame that has that 'n' modifier (1 + n = 4, 4 + n = 7, 7 + n = 10, n =3) - Im sure someone can remember the actual name for that maths expression... i can't :/

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I'm debating on if I should advance to the next system right now or hang out in my current one a bit longer before moving on. I have an element rich planet within 1 minute pulse warp of the space station that's loaded with Emeril, Nickel, Aluminum and Plutonium (selling at +98% galactic avg). I'm afraid if I warp that I won't be able to find such a loaded planet like what I have now.

Those who've traveled closer to the center (let's say more than 4-5 systems to the center), are you finding luck with element rich planets or are they becoming harder to come by?

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
After spending countless hours wandering through NMS. I have a few critiques;

First, the planets are like greenhouses. You walk in and there are X number of plants, in an X number of arrangements. It would have been nice if the planet had a bit more geography(don't know if i can use that word) to it. It would have given each planet more character as you explored. If there were mountainous regions, with a 'Y' subset of the overall 'X' number of plant life, In addition to valleys, and swamps, that are more muggy with it's own subset of plant life.

Secondly, this extends to the wildlife too. If i am on a cold planet, why are animals walking around with bare skin? It would have been nice if the animal life were generated with a thought to the environment they live in. Go to a cold planet, see lots of fuzzy lifeforms. Go to a hot planet, see lots of bald lifeforms.

That's really the only issue i have with the game atm. Maybe they can tweak the algorithm to include such variables. Or maybe that addition is simply too much.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Just fired up NMS for the first time in a few days (traveling...work...etc). Wow....the graphical improvements are very noticeable. Everything looks sharper and AA seems to be doing much better. Nice to see.