[OT] No Man's Sky

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Mod author updated his mod.

He found, and added, crashed space freighters (like the ones you see in space).

I am going to have to check this mod out tonight! It's gunna happen!

There has to be a caveat though. These assets were left out of the game by Hello Games for a reason.

Given what i've seen, i'd wager they do have the proper collision data, but the team were probably unable to flesh out the interiors like you see in vanilla buildings. I will find out tonight! :)

EDIT:
Messed around in NMS for a bit with the mod... I think another mod i use may be interfering slightly, because i got some odd results.

However, they are in fact just props. You can run up to them and inspect them, but there is no 'interaction'. Additionally, the mod author doesn't seem to have created a 'custom' table for these assets. Instead, they have just been added to an already existing table. The result is that they spawn a little to frequently, turning once completely barren planets, into seemingly abandoned planets with empty building littering the place.

However, it does help the look of NMS a little bit:

Last edited:

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I'm just curious if anyone has played this since the latest update came out? I played a few hours last night and it's actually much better. I didn't restart but I've read that the beginning is much different now.

Where it's at now should've been where it was upon release even though it could still use some tweaks. The universe and planets feel much more alive now. The land vehicles (if you have the patience to find everything needed to build one) really help with planet exploration too. It's nice to see they're still making an effort with NMS.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
I was playing this a lot before summer. Then a new update was about to come out and I lost interest right before I installed the update. Maybe weed would have helped.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6532214]It doesn't. :/[/QUOTE]

Hahah. Well if weed didn't help roam aimlessly through the universe I don't know what would. Atlas for once didn't.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6532165]I'm just curious if anyone has played this since the latest update came out? I played a few hours last night and it's actually much better. I didn't restart but I've read that the beginning is much different now.

Where it's at now should've been where it was upon release even though it could still use some tweaks. The universe and planets feel much more alive now. The land vehicles (if you have the patience to find everything needed to build one) really help with planet exploration too. It's nice to see they're still making an effort with NMS.[/QUOTE]
I play it on and off all the time.

I had found a really nice planet, and over a year had built a pretty sweet base. The update literally nuked that planet from existence, and plopped my base onto one of the new barren rock planets that replaced it!

Before Update:

After Update:

That being said, my ship was all good, so after hopping about for a bit i found a really nice moon to build on.

Looking forward to playing through the little story they added about the lonely traveller. I played the first part where you find his crashed ship. Not long after i found the aforementioned moon and started building. Really like the subterranean addition. It's nice that you can build into the ground now.

Lots of QOL improvements in the update.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Managed to cobble much of my old base back together again.... massive dick move to remove things i had already learnt though (like glass!), that stuff took ages to get the first time!

Still missing the expensive items like trading posts, landing pads, and a few glass domes, but basic skeleton is up with some tweaks here and there - like a subterranean greenhouse.

Found this planet a few systems over from my home base. Looks so alien, quite different to what the old NMS looked like:

This thing is some sort of AI computer, or backup AI, or something. Talks about sub routine protocols, throws up a bunch of error codes, and pretty much sums up death, so must be Skynets cousin :snicker

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I was thinking about getting back in to this one as well. Havent played since it first released and there seems to be quite a lot added to the game.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Whoever the spanner monkey is, over at Hello Games, who thought creating glass wasn't hard enough, and made it harder, can sit on a thorny cactus.... repeatedly!

Finally got my base done! Just missing a few normal glass panels here and there but got the "living glass" shit done and dusted (eat dick spanner monkey!)

and just some pretty shots i took as i travelled back and forth looking for all the junk i needed:

also found this planet which i thought was kinda weird/creepy:

The structures light up as you approach them, and i assumed they did so within a radius of your character, apparently it's a planet right out of Hansel and Gretel because when i turned around to head back to my ship, i could see the path i took travelling away from it.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6532699]Is building base is fun and easy or you did it for a mission? It seems cool tho, good job![/QUOTE]
Building the base is done mostly just for the fun of it, but you need to get the tech by doing some rudimentary quests for some of the '"workers" you hire to man your terminals.

The science guy for example has you take his 'control box'[essentially his consciousness] back and forth as he tries to re-connect with his people (a little like the Geth from Mass Effect - though no where near as cinematic!).

That stuff is a little tedious, but the real tediousness is when you need to get 'x' thing from a specific 'x' planet - Like "living glass" requires animal poop (lots of it), and radiation root(and lots of this too) above the requirements for making the base 'glass' panel. Animal poop(for example) drops in quantities of '~9' and you need a whole bunch of it! So yeah, whoever came up with the numbers needs to have their anus inspected with a cactus.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
Nice job Fiji! NMS has added so much stuff since I last played. It seems almost a different game. I should definitely get back to it.