[OT] Project Cars

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
I just tried out a free race for a quick test and it runs really nice with controller!

As someone who prefers to race with a wheel, I can see how controller works out as well here :)

Still hoping to be able to use my wheel some time though.. :snicker

Question though;
How do you guys play? What difficulty?
I set it to novice as I usually never race on console..
I don't have to shift gears myself or such.. What about you?

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6447392]I just tried out a free race for a quick test and it runs really nice with controller!

As someone who prefers to race with a wheel, I can see how controller works out as well here :)

Still hoping to be able to use my wheel some time though.. :snicker

Question though;
How do you guys play? What difficulty?
I set it to novice as I usually never race on console..
I don't have to shift gears myself or such.. What about you?[/QUOTE]

I play with the AI at 80% and no assists because that makes it all the more realistic for me!

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
I haven't played it properly yet but hopefully I will do when I get a certain something to test it out with (it's in the post). In the meantime I've been playing it with a PS4 controller, 90% AI, and most of the aids off. Some aids need to stay on when using a controller otherwise you do doughnuts all day.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Latest expansion pack now available:

Project CARS continues its programme of continual updates and fresh content delivery today with its first Track Expansion featuring New Zealand’s Ruapuna Park circuit and three iconic Audi racing cars.
[video=youtube;nlH12OOHUME]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlH12OOHUME[/video]

May 11, 2010
Update 6.0 is live for some time, 5,6GB heavy.

Speaking for PS4, looks like Sony and some big publishers has finally found "same language" and there is no more long waiting for updates permission.

via LG G2 & Tapatalk

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="TDbank24, post: 6489122]So Project Cars was a flop early on but it's better now i hear? I might have to check it out sometime.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, it's had a hell of a lot of updates I know that!

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6489315]How come??[/QUOTE]
Because Driveclub keep releasing awesome updates :snicker

This game is still sat on my hard drive and, has yet, failed to grip me. Having said that I think it's worth a revisit if the prmised PS VR support emerges

Last edited by a moderator:

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6489315]How come??[/QUOTE]
Thought it was bland, other than the car models pretty ugly, road cars felt like barges and with numerous suspension tweaks and tyre pressures etc nothing made them handle well - the Evo for example is one of the best handling cars out there yet a complete waste of time in the game, body roll and understeers like a bitch, sound cut out glitches, the controller speaker sometimes having commentary other times not, I was probably a novice compared to some and the pros could sort this but most times if you started to lose the back end there was no margin for correction, you could try abit of accel, bit of the brake, counter steer anything and 9/10 times you'd be in the barrier no matter what. Other things bugged me as well and then there's the glitched trophies. Some of the car sounds like the Zonda were crisp though.

Last edited:

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="GazzaGSi, post: 6489340]Thought it was bland, other than the car models pretty ugly, road cars felt like barges and with numerous suspension tweaks and tyre pressures etc nothing made them handle well - the Evo for example is one of the best handling cars out there yet a complete waste of time in the game, body roll and understeers like a bitch, sound cut out glitches, the controller speaker sometimes having commentary other times not, I was probably a novice compared to some and the pros could sort this but most times if you started to lose the back end there was no margin for correction, you could try abit of accel, bit of the brake, counter steer anything and 9/10 times you'd be in the barrier no matter what. Other things bugged me as well and then there's the glitched trophies. Some of the car sounds like the Zonda were crisp though.[/QUOTE]

So in other words not the best racing game you have ever played then :lol:

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6489347]So in other words not the best racing game you have ever played then :lol:[/QUOTE]
I think I'm still bitter about finishing the game months ago but a glitched trophy has left a sour taste in my mouth that I've been working on for 12 or more weeks that's prevented the plat popping. Maybe once I've calmed down after getting the trophy last night I'd reconsider my assessment of it but it really put a dampener on the whole experience.

The trophy - Community Ambassador - Compete in 20 community events.
Sounds simple but something that can be so frustrating.

Firstly, there's not enough community events. More often than not it's 1 a week. Sometimes 1 a fortnight! It's 2 this week but the last 6 weeks has seen 2.
So say 20 community events is a 25 week period.
I'm on my 38 fucking event for this trophy :mad:
And in the end, it completely randomly popped last night when I was checking my times in previous events! Load of BS.

Last edited:

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="GazzaGSi, post: 6489349]I think I'm still bitter about finishing the game months ago but a glitched trophy has left a sour taste in my mouth that I've been working on for 12 or more weeks that's prevented the plat popping. Maybe once I've calmed down after getting the trophy last night I'd reconsider my assessment of it but it really put a dampener on the whole experience.

The trophy - Community Ambassador - Compete in 20 community events.
Sounds simple but something that can be so frustrating.

Firstly, there's not enough community events. More often than not it's 1 a week. Sometimes 1 a fortnight! It's 2 this week but the last 6 weeks has seen 2.
So say 20 community events is a 25 week period.
I'm on my 38 fucking event for this trophy :mad:
And in the end, it completely randomly popped last night when I was checking my times in previous events! Load of BS.[/QUOTE]

I can see why you want to chuck it in the bin then, hate glitched trophies!

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
so i've been meaning to get this game, it's $20 on PSN. i'm a huge fan of sim racing, like realistic shit. i always end up enjoying sim racers more than arcade open world racers like burnout paradise.

my only concern is the online community, does it have a healthy community? it would be a total waste of this game runs out of people because that's the only reason i'd ever keep a racing game. GT5 was disappointing because 1) too difficult to get a match running 2) they shut off the servers.

i've been playing DC but it's just not cutting it for me in the end, partially because well i have the PS+ version lol but i don't know if i wanna buy the game because it's a bit too arcadey for me. just the fact that if i go out of control, my car becomes invisible so others can pass through...umm that's part of the fun? crashes happen and shit happens. That alone made me want to stop playing DC and i also don't like that we don't get control over the online rooms. something i didn't think about in the beginning lol but it started to catch up.

this game is right up my alley, has tons of options, i'm not huge on customizing car settings but i can learn, i'm not dumb. i used to do a bit in GT games. i don't have a wheel and i don't intend to. is it pretty much useless online without the wheel? am i going to get schooled the entire time? i'm good with sim racers, that's not an issue, i'm just trying to understand if the game would be fun online. i like that you can blow out your tires and engine...and just sit there lol. i love all kinds of realism. and no doubt i'd find the game fun regardless of being schooled d/t a controller.

i'm on the fence and was wondering if someone can give me a few tips on if the online mode is good or not. do they have server lists? how many games are usually up at any given point? thanks.

EDIT: bought it, everything about it sounded good except i don't like how it has only sold a million but then again, seems like this game will have a cult following, that's fine with me as long as it has a sustained dedicated community even if not very many. come to think of it, GT5 barely had a community but it was dedicated. that was really my biggest concern. otherwise i can't wait to play this game, i love all the options it gives you, especially to do with realism and FOV.

Last edited:

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
so basically i'm having a fucking blast as i expected. the game really truly is awesome and the sheer amount of options are amazing. i LOVE options, and it gives us 120 FOV!!! that's like, i only know of one other game that gives us this option and it's an indie game...forgot the name but it was this game where you just explore. proteus or something.

i can't imagine how much fun it would be with a proper wheel setup...and VR eventually. wow... definitely worth the $18 i spent on it. it's the perfect game for me to take me off shooters once in a while. Definitely better than GT5 in every way possible. but i can't deny that GT5 was also pretty awesome with its handling.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
pCARS excels with a wheel as it's a full on racing simulator. It's still very playable with a pad but with the higher tier vehicles you need to have ABS and TCS turned on otherwise you'll be doing doughnuts in a straight line. I have probably put in over 600 hours into the game in the last 3 years of playing it and it still doesn't get boring, so I'm glad you're also liking it too. :)

Next year I'm either going to get the Vive or the Rift to try out the VR in pCARS so it'll be interesting to see how that works.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
that's so true about the donuts lol. is that because of the throttle? because i couldn't figure out a way to do it. they do go out of control so quickly. i must've put on free practice about a 100 times last night because i was trying to figure out the controls. i'm surprised for the amount of options they give you, they don't give it to you during gameplay but maybe that's due to the design. i was able to come to a setting that makes the driving a lot easier and those settings definitely give you a lot more control over your car than any other racer i've played thus far.

i was surprised to find quite a bit of people playing the game as well. i'm fairly sure the game will stay healthy for at least a few years...if not the entire generation. overall it's pretty fun to just get in there and play. i like that the online games aren't serious or about points, they're just about driving. i get tired of people playing for the sake of unlocks and points. this was definitely an interesting experience.

similar to GT5 where online didn't have unlocks and i had fun driving around just like people would in real life (and it's not like a pro championship). just people driving on a track because it's fun driving. but alas GT5 online was crap and difficult to get into a game.