OT The Evil Within 2

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory

THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Story​
Three years after the events at Beacon Mental Hospital, Sebastian Castellanos has left the Krimson City Police Department and continues to be haunted by his experiences at Beacon, the disappearance of his wife Myra, and the death of his daughter Lily in a house fire. Sebastian is then approached by former partner and Mobius agent Juli Kidman, who reveals to him that Lily is still alive since Mobius faked her death. However, Mobius now needs Sebastian's help in saving her. Sebastian is brought to a secret Mobius facility where he meets the Administrator, who further explains that Lily is being used as the Core for a new STEM system to simulate an idyllic town called Union. However, some time ago, Mobius lost contact with Lily and their agents inside Union, and they no longer have any control over the STEM. Sebastian reluctantly agrees to help Mobius so that he has a chance to save Lily and enters the STEM.
Gameplay​
Similar to its predecessor, the game is a survival horror game. Played from a third-person perspective, the player assumes control of detective Sebastian Castellanos, who must descend into the world of Union to rescue his daughter, Lily. There are three difficulty modes, namely Casual, which producer Shinji Mikami recommends, Survival, and Nightmare. In The Evil Within 2, maps are larger and there are multiple ways for players to advance in a level. The player is also given an item known as "The Communicator", which helps to highlight the objectives, resources, and enemies featured in the game's world. It will also reveal Resonance points, which provides hints regarding what had happened in the world of Union. Players can explore the map area freely to complete side objectives and scout for resources, which are scarce. Players can engage in direct confrontation with enemies using weapons like guns, or use stealth to prevent themselves from being noticed or sneak behind enemies to kill them silently.
The game also features a crafting system, in which players can gather resources to craft new items such as ammo. Players can craft items at any time in the game, but doing so in a workbench requires less crafting materials. A customization system is also present. The Green Gel, introduced in the first game, can be used to customize Sebestian's abilities, which are divided into five different trees: health, stealth, combat, recovery and athleticism. Weapons can also be customized using the weapon parts players collected through exploring Union.

Reviews​

Kotaku NO SCORE
This game is everything I love about survival horror. There are foreboding environs to explore. Horrific monsters both large and small to slay or avoid. The sound design sends chills down the spine, from the evocative soundtrack to the anguished moans of The Lost. There is plenty of challenge, and players must choose their battles wisely and carefully manage their resources. With a shocking amount of blood and a surprising amount of heart, The Evil Within 2 slashes, stomps, and sneaks its way into the pantheon of all-time greats. When I finished the story, I had to stop myself from immediately starting a new game. That’s partially because this is one of the best survival horror games I’ve played
EGM 8/10
Though I never expected to ever see a sequel to The Evil Within, we’ve now gotten one, and I’m rather glad that we did. While The Evil Within 2 isn’t without problems—and I’m not sure it’s the kind of game I’ll ever want to play through a second time—by the time the final credits rolled, I had legitimately enjoyed the adventure I’d just gone on, and the improvements that Tango Gameworks had tried to bring to the series
GAMESPOT 8/10
What this cerebral horror game does isn't totally new, but it rarely feels routine, and offers plenty of surprises. Coming in at a lengthy and surprisingly packed 15-hour campaign, the sequel does an admirable job of ratcheting up the tension and scares when it needs to, while also giving you the freedom to explore and proceed how you want. It's a tough thing to balance, but The Evil Within 2 does it remarkably well, and in a way that leaves a strong and lasting impression after its touching conclusion
Game Rant 4.5/5
The Evil Within 2‘s goofy characters and cheesiness won’t be for everyone, but longtime fans of the genre will likely appreciate it. They will also appreciate its classic survival-horror gameplay that’s blended expertly with more modern features like open world settings, its improved graphics, and tighter narrative. By succeeding in all these areas, The Evil Within 2 is easily one of the best survival-horror games in recent memory, and is a significant step forward from its predecessor
Easy Allies 4.5 out of 5 Stars
The Evil Within 2 is a ruthless nightmare that constantly challenges. The unsettling atmosphere contributes to a sense of unpredictability, and the unrelenting combat constantly takes more than it gives. Just when you start to get comfortable, it pushes back harder. Whether it’s a boss fight, a new enemy, or the ever-shifting environment, the circumstances always keep you off balance. The Evil Within 2 encapsulates the best elements of classic survival horror with a modern touch
POLYGON 9/10​
THE EVIL WITHIN 2 IS A BRILLIANT HORROR GAME WITH A MASTERFUL SENSE OF PACING
IGN 8/10​
The Evil Within 2 gives you more options to play your way in a much bigger survival-horror playground than the original. Although a disjointed plot and weak protagonist make it slow to get started, being pursued through an intriguingly bizarre world by plentiful and disturbing monsters kept my palms sweaty and my heart in my throat thanks to a strict adherence to the most important survival horror rule: you should always be on the back foot

Just made an OT for you guys as you didn't have one, really enjoying it so far
There are so many "Oh fuck" moments in the game
The guys really know how to do horror and it has that old-school horror vibe too which I love
Probably one of my favourite games this year

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I will play this soon. I sort of liked the first game but there was a lot I hated. I just couldn't passed the letterbox crap they added to the game. Everything was so hard to see and I never did finish it. This one looks much better.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6533609]I will play this soon. I sort of liked the first game but there was a lot I hated. I just couldn't passed the letterbox crap they added to the game. Everything was so hard to see and I never did finish it. This one looks much better.[/QUOTE]

You should replay and finish the first, they did actually updated it with the option to remove the letterbox, minor spoiler but there's a part in 2 where the letterboxing makes a special guest appearance lol.
Seriously the game is like someone took Silent Hill and RE4 and thrown it into a blender, gone are those enemies with guns, the game has monsters, and it's cool how exploring the map can lead you into a side story event.
There was this part when I was being hunted down by one of the larger monsters, I didn't have any bullets to take it on so I ran for safety and got inside this diner, once inside I started looking around for ammo or anything.
Then the jukebox turns on and I start to see Sebastian's breath become cold, and I'll leave it at that lol
It really does have some fantastic moments.