[OT] The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

May 20, 2015
[QUOTE="Nick_Scryer, post: 6447474]What difficulty is everyone playing on? I'm playing on the hardest, so far it is definitely a good, fun challenge.

Died a hell of a lot already, stupid ghouls!![/QUOTE]
Yeah me too. Have you faced the Alghouls yet? For me they are impossible to beat!

Cool Beans

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Playing normal so no plat for me on this one. That's fine. I'm just taking my time with this one. Just so much to do. Love the side quests. Dialogue is fantastic. Doug Cockle has the perfect voice for Geralt.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Yeah.....cool just exploring. Guess the only thing of note I've done is kill the noonwraith in a side quest. Not ready to take on the griffon yet. suggested level is 3, but I'll wait till I'm level 4. Just cuz I like grinding. :D

darky89

Forum Sage
Dec 3, 2007
In the bushes.
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6447496]Yeah.....cool just exploring. Guess the only thing of note I've done is kill the noonwraith in a side quest. Not ready to take on the griffon yet. suggested level is 3, but I'll wait till I'm level 4. Just cuz I like grinding. :D[/QUOTE]

I had to go back to a save before initiating the Griffin fight. It kicked my arse.... repeatedly. I too am going to try again at level 4. (And then again at 5 probably).

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Figured that one was tough so not in a hurry to take it on yet. Figuring out the alchemy. That helped with the noonwraith. Applied a specter potion to my blade. Will have to see if there is anything that helps with griffons.

May 20, 2015
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6447501]Figured that one was tough so not in a hurry to take it on yet. Figuring out the alchemy. That helped with the noonwraith. Applied a specter potion to my blade. Will have to see if there is anything that helps with griffons.[/QUOTE]
This is what tripped me up at first: The Alchemy and Crafting. They are indispensable at the highest difficulty!

Cool Beans

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6447496]Yeah.....cool just exploring. Guess the only thing of note I've done is kill the noonwraith in a side quest. Not ready to take on the griffon yet. suggested level is 3, but I'll wait till I'm level 4. Just cuz I like grinding. :D[/QUOTE]
I love when I'm able to walk the thin line. No grinding. FF7 for instance: Didn't meet my match until I met the giant spider in Nibelheim. One of my best gaming memories.

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
[QUOTE="darky89, post: 6447485]I'm on the difficulty below hardest, not fairing too well I must say. But I'm going to stick with it for now.[/QUOTE]

Quen is your best friend. Use it often, use it always. That's pretty much my motto at the moment.

I tend to cast it and go in for some swings. If I get hit I make sure to dodge away and keep away until I can recast Quen. It's my main sign so mine is even more useful.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6447507]I love when I'm able to walk the thin line. No grinding. FF7 for instance: Didn't meet my match until I met the giant spider in Nibelheim. One of my best gaming memories.[/QUOTE]
Laughable comparison I realize now :D But I'm slowly getting the hang of it and it's oh so satisfying.

May 20, 2015
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6447680]Can't seem to stop tapping X to make the horse galopp. Red Dead Redemption has ruined me :lol:[/QUOTE]
Have you mastered the sword on horseback? It's a good way to this out herds of enemies.

Cool Beans

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
[QUOTE="HeroicLove, post: 6447681]Have you mastered the sword on horseback? It's a good way to this out herds of enemies.
[/QUOTE]

Wish I could as you do pretty much triple damage when you do connect (about 1 in 3 for me), any tips appreciated!!

It helps putting blinkers on Roach as well (you can win them in the horse race quests) as they make the panic bar fill up slower.

May 20, 2015
[QUOTE="ArnoldRimmer, post: 6447741]Wish I could as you do pretty much triple damage when you do connect (about 1 in 3 for me), any tips appreciated!!

It helps putting blinkers on Roach as well (you can win them in the horse race quests) as they make the panic bar fill up slower.[/QUOTE]
Controlling the camera (for me) is key. If you swing and miss, immediately turn the camera back towards the enemy and hold square for the bullet-time slow motion. There's so many tricks, I should've bought the guide.

Cool Beans

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6447680]Can't seem to stop tapping X to make the horse galopp. Red Dead Redemption has ruined me :lol:[/QUOTE]
Having similar problems here. Been playing a lot of Bloodborne recently and the control scheme's do not match :snicker

KILL THE DAMN WOLVES GERALT!!! Oh, that's the wrong button... :dunce :lol:

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="ArnoldRimmer, post: 6447741]Wish I could as you do pretty much triple damage when you do connect (about 1 in 3 for me), any tips appreciated!!

It helps putting blinkers on Roach as well (you can win them in the horse race quests) as they make the panic bar fill up slower.[/QUOTE]

Not related to the thread but I LOVE YOUR USERNAME AND EVEN MORE I LOVE RED DWARF :D

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Lol don't be an idiot like me and meditate for an hour in the middle of a cave for Swallow potions.

Boy was I surprised when I got ganged up on by three wraiths and died. :lol:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Gwent sucks, or; I suck at it. That bitter taste in you mouth when you opponent wins the last round with 1-0 points...

May 5, 2012
[QUOTE="darky89, post: 6447485]I'm on the difficulty below hardest, not fairing too well I must say. But I'm going to stick with it for now.[/QUOTE]

I am playing on Blood and broken bones difficulty. I am still in white orchard atm... just trying to mop up all the extra stuff before I move on. I gotta say that in 30 years of playing games (yes, i'm old) I have never played a game that seems as polished. CD projekt red need a pat on the back for making a game that puts most of these large company's games to shame! Love it!!!:D

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Me too, definitely a challenge. Played the one below a little too to compare, Blood and Broken Bones, that was too easy though.

[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6447501]Figured that one was tough so not in a hurry to take it on yet. Figuring out the alchemy. That helped with the noonwraith. Applied a specter potion to my blade. Will have to see if there is anything that helps with griffons.[/QUOTE]
Thunderbolt will help, the story should point that out though when you speak to Vesimir at some point.

[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 6447533]Quen is your best friend. Use it often, use it always. That's pretty much my motto at the moment.

I tend to cast it and go in for some swings. If I get hit I make sure to dodge away and keep away until I can recast Quen. It's my main sign so mine is even more useful.[/QUOTE]
I think this is key, using those signs often enough, they make a lot of difference and can turn any battle so far.

[QUOTE="HeroicLove, post: 6447681]Have you mastered the sword on horseback?[/QUOTE]
No. Finding it pretty difficult to strike form horseback. Rimmer is right about the damage difference though, a lot more when mounted.

Generally having a good time with this game so far if not in love with it like I was hoping to be. Honestly it does still feel plenty buggy and glitchy so far. Collecting items/ingredients could be sharpened up. Locking onto enemies and highlighting them in combat doesn't always seem to work well all the time, especially the locking on bit. Not ruining my gaming experience but definitely holding the immersion back a little.

The enviroments are lovely, the sound and music is good and the voice-acting and script are great, that's gonna make this game great for me, believable writing. Lot's of wildlife and the villages are rather lively, good immersion therein too.

Side quest plot lines are great so far, more interesting than normal, more human stories behind them which I like. For example, I turned the arsonist in then wondered if that was the best course of action, but then letting him go was NOT an option, bad boy. Little harsh on the punishment though...

Combat is good but at the difficulty I'm playing (Blood and Broken Bones) it's not very forgiving. Movement, both in and out of combat, is very heavy. This feels better now after several hours of play and familiarisation but was a bit challenging to start. That said, if I make mistakes in combat or come unprepared and I get my arse handed to me, even by the likes of Wolves so far. Only level 4 when I turned off last night but getting out of White Orchard now to see the rest of the world.

Last edited:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
So I entertain myself by going after bosses that are several levels higher than me, and I wonder if I should play on Deathmarch difficulty... I dread running into boss-tier creatures at every turn though.

@major: You're playing on the second hardest difficulty, right?
I go straight for Witcher contracts then move up from there . The sidequests in this game are fenomenal :-D :glee:

Last edited:

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6448011]So I entertain myself by going after bosses that are several levels higher than me, and I wonder if I should play on Deathmarch difficulty... I dread running into boss tier creatures at every turn though.

@major: You're playing on the second hardest difficulty, right?
I go straight for Witcher contracts then move up from there . The sidequests in this game are fenomenal :-D :glee:[/QUOTE]
Thanks mate. Yeah, you're probably right about Witcher contracts first. There seems to be a more ideal progression route rather than just plodding around trying to make it happen randomly killing wolves and the like. I get distracted by all the lovely scenery though :lol:

edit: Also, I was expecting more quests, maybe a little like DA:I or something. There seems only enough quests to do what you need to do rather than what you'd maybe like, I you catch my drift. Basically, they've taken control of levelling by only offering X amount of contracts/missions etc at certain stages it seems.

Last edited:

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
There are plenty of random encounters (marked with a ? On the map).
Last night I had a 15 minute scrap with a wyvern guarding some treasure at one of these which was 7 levels above me. Used my entire supply of enhanced swallow and thunderbolt plus draconid oil.
Finally got him though, admittedly in about 25 minutes as it wiped me out the first time when I got a bit cocky!
Loving this game

May 20, 2015
I spent about 45 minutes slowly hacking away at a cyclops on Lvl. 20 when I was on Lvl. 10! Playing on Death March and loving it. I've clocked in about 30 hours on this game and I've only discovered about a 1/3 of the map. This game world is huge!

Cool Beans

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I have been focusing on Treasure and Witcher hunts. I am level 15 now, and I have only done a few story quests. I have the Experienced Witcher Griffin armor and weapon set, but I quickly found some relic weapons and armor that are already better. I do not like how my level 9 relic armor is better than my level 15 Witcher gear that I have to venture off to find and forge.

darky89

Forum Sage
Dec 3, 2007
In the bushes.
Beat the Griffin last night. Went in a lot more prepared than during my first attempts. Beat the bastard the first time. Definitely one of those games that you want to read the beastery(?) entries to see how you should prepare.

And I must say, the cinematic that comes after leaving White Orchard got me PUMPED!