Pacific Rim: Uprising trailer

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[video=youtube;fUjicxMPDzs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjicxMPDzs[/video]

The original Pacific Rim is one of my favorite movies.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I know I didn't express it in my original post but this trailer has me super excited to see the movie.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
It looks like more of the same to me but that's a good thing in this case.

I haven't watched anime in a long time so I don't hold the movies up to any "classics" like Neon Genesis Evangelion, nor do I think Pacific Rim was even a ripoff; which is one of those words that has lost its meaning thanks to people on the internet needing to compare anything with everything.

I like the song choice for the trailer too.

Last edited:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6533319]It looks like more of the same to me but that's a good thing in this case.

I haven't watched anime in a long time so I don't hold the movies up to any "classics" like Neon Genesis Evangelion, nor do I think Pacific Rim was even a ripoff; which is one of those words that has lost its meaning thanks to people on the internet needing to compare anything with everything.

I like the song choice for the trailer too.[/QUOTE]

Compare anything ? What this movie has, any special essence to be your favorite? I read a few imdb reviews just to remember if I miss anything about the movie, I now clearly see I miss none. Change godzillas with robots and it is done. There is close to zero likeable lead roles , there is no characteristic or awesomeness of the robot. A very classic robot which punches!! At least second movie has put some speaciality on the robots. Euroka Seven and Code Geass are the first one comes to my mind. Check that out if you like.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
The Jaegers did have unique appearances. You could easily point out Russia's Cherno Alpha, for example, from China's Crimson Typhoon or Gipsy Danger. I'm sure a lot of the battles having been set during rainy weather at night serves to make the sequel look better and is probably why you say they had no characteristics when in fact they did.

The reason I think it looks like more of the same is because we've seen Jaegers fight with melee weapons before. It just wasn't revealed with the sword early on. But we've seen Gipsy Danger use its plasma cannon in the original. I would say the difference is mankind was pressed for time to build these giant robots to defend their countries, whereas in the sequel 10 years have passed so it's natural to assume they've made improvements for new battles.

Maybe you didn't miss much if you watch anime all the time so you're used to seeing giant robots and giant monsters but I would argue it was relatively brand new for Hollywood. And to be honest, I think I just prefer live-action to hand-drawn animation for movies and television.

Last edited: