PC Troubleshooting/Advice Thread - Have a problem with your PC? Ask here!

Tobian

Master Poster
Dec 19, 2005
I have a problem using the dock on my Mac Book.

I'd like to loose a couple of icons on there, but I haven't got the slightest idea how.

Even my office, like windows and excel is shown twice. That stuff needs to go, ... so help?

Sash

Elite Member
Jul 5, 2006
Help me. My sound is messed up. When I log onto my account I receive no output sound from my PC but the mic works perfectly, and when I log onto the 'guest' account the sound works! (The problem doesn't have anything to do with volume control). If anyone is successful in aiding me, I will award them with all my skill points. I'm not desperate, it's just that I've tried literally everything and it's really ticking me off now (aswell as the restart problem on Counter-Strike, which is becoming more frequent).

Dec 3, 2006
[QUOTE="Sash, post: 0]Help me. My sound is messed up. When I log onto my account I receive no output sound from my PC but the mic works perfectly, and when I log onto the 'guest' account the sound works! (The problem doesn't have anything to do with volume control). If anyone is successful in aiding me, I will award them with all my skill points. I'm not desperate, it's just that I've tried literally everything and it's really ticking me off now (aswell as the restart problem on Counter-Strike, which is becoming more frequent).[/quote]
Did this begin happening after you installed new hardware or software? There could be some other program conflicting with your sound settings. Also, have you tried reinstalling your sound drivers?

When did this problem start happening?

Sash

Elite Member
Jul 5, 2006
Hmm, I don't think so. It stopped working until yesterday (21st). I'll give that a go now.

It started happening just a couple of days ago.

Sash

Elite Member
Jul 5, 2006
I did consider that until my little brother 'fixed' the sound :eek:. He plugged my headset into the side ports and everything works fine.

The restarting problem may have something to do with my PSU, it's a 300W unit and I'm thinking of replacing it with my dad's (his PC is buggered) 500W unit. I'll keep you updated.

jjam

Apr 13, 2006
Help meeeeeeeeeeee!

Primary Problem:
Okay, quick run down of the situation.
Basically, I have a case of what seems to be "Stuck In Safe Mode". In other words, something has screwed up whatever constituted my Normal Mode's display settings to where my colors are stuck at 16, resolution at 640 by 480, and certain applets (like Color, where you can adjust target gamma, and such) inaccessible.

Cause:
One never knows with this often arbitrary science of computers...
I was running a rather useless scan last Friday while sleep, woke up to the blue screen of death, and couldn't get out of it without shutting down improperly. Next thing I knew, I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

98 (don't laugh)

Video Adapter:
Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2x (again, don't laugh)

Downloaded driver from Driver Guide?
Done deal. Ati didn't have it. Har. Ratings are 80-90%, so I'm hoping that's a good thing regarding my download. The last thing I need is another problem caused by this.

Secondary Problem?
Concerned about uninstalling current driver properly.

QUESTION: How do I uninstall these things properly?
(a)It's not under Add/Remove Programs.

(b)The only thing I see under device manager is what appears to be the adapter itself - Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2X (English) (DirectX).

(c)I don't have drive cleaner, which supposedly only does a "clean up" after doing a proper uninstall by other means, and I'd rather not have to download any programs to do this. I've read that you can go into device manger, install a default driver, and that would "unload" whatever I have going now, but I fail to understand how this is better than simply installing what I've downloaded. Anyway, I could really use a finger in the right direction on this, as this step is what's keeping me from going on and doing what (fingers crossed) I'm hoping will get my display back in shape.

Other Concerns:
I'm hoping these(#1, #2, and to a lesser extent, #3) issues don't create problems with what I believe to be the solution (installing downloaded drivers). I'd like to deal with all of them ASAP, but I really want to get my display back. This "safe mode" look is... painful.

#1:
I have a rundll32 error that occurs when I'm browsing certain applets. It has happened at device manager, and it has happened in display properties. I have a feeling this could be related to my inability to access those applets mentioned above, but I'm hoping installation of new driver will rectify that.

#2:
I have this vicious cycle with bootups now. I hope I'm not getting this wrong, but it's like the system will boot in safe mode. Then the next boot yields a fatal exception (blue screen), which I can only ctrl+alt+del out of, or hold power button. The next time, I am able to boot in Normal Mode. However, every time I reach the point just prior to the Windows startup sound, I get a display error, which basically says the adapter type is either incorrect or not compatible with the display settings. Before I can proceed to my desktop, I am forced into the display property applet that deals specifically with resolution/color. If I make any change, I'd have to restart the computer, and the cycle just continues. If I hit cancel, then I can proceed to desktop.

#3:
I can't execute msconfig.
Don't ask about inserting windows 98 disc. I don't have it.

Seriously, I'd really appreciate some help with this.
Thanks, guys!

Violator

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2006
What was the "useless" scans purpose?

If it was a type of cleaner it may have removed system dependent files.

It may have also removed a group of virus files that had become critical to the systems operation, eg: a virii that had linked itself to a critical file, and in the process of being removed crippled it.

The loss of msconfig is unfortunate. Why cant you use it?

jjam

Apr 13, 2006
[QUOTE="Violator, post: 0]What was the "useless" scans purpose? If it was a type of cleaner it may have removed system dependent files.[/quote]

It was a Norton 2003 scan, strictly for viruses. I have it scheduled to run every Friday, although I can't remember the last time I updated my definitions... I'm not even sure if it finished scanning. Again, I woke up to a Fatal Exception I couldn't escape without improper means of shutting down. Then came safe mode, and later the "stuck in safe mode" normal mode issue revealed itself to me.

[QUOTE="Violator, post: 0]
It may have also removed a group of virus files that had become critical to the systems operation, eg: a virii that had linked itself to a critical file, and in the process of being removed crippled it.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, and scary. I've heard of rundll32 being a popular cover for viruses.
All of this seems to be linked. Anyhow, what do you think? Could un/installing a driver for my video adapter solve this display issue, or do you think I have a bigger problem on my hands that must be dealt with first?

[QUOTE="Violator, post: 0]The loss of msconfig is unfortunate. Why cant you use it?[/QUOTE]

I wish I could tell you. Actually, I wish you could tell me! Haha.
I don't know. I tried executing from Run, and I also tried going to system tools -> system information, and executing it there. No good.

A

Appolyons

Jjam, my first thought as I read your post half way through was to tell you that perhaps a system restore/entire cleaning would be best however you dont have the Windows disc. Obviously your not a PC gamer and/or dont use the PC for much. Recommending you to purchase a lower end cheap PC is always a last resort...remember that (if your system has files you want to keep, thats easily taken care of). I'm hesitant though to tell you what to do as its '98 and I've never even seen that format. Sorry I'm not much help though here...if anything else man...you can always drop kick it when you get a better machine.

jjam

Apr 13, 2006
^98 doesn't have the system restore feature. I believe that was introduced with XP. Anyway, I'm not really worried about files (documents, music, etc.), as I have everything backed up already. I will likely buy/build a beast this fall, but right now, I just want my computer returned to its state from a week ago so I can just enjoy my music + clips + browsing sessions. I guess if I needed to restore my registry from when 98 was first installed, I could do that. But I'm not sure if that's even necessary. Quite frankly, I don't believe it is.

So, no word about where I need to be to do at least a decent uninstall of whatever driver I've got going on now? Because that's what I'm thinking will solve my problem (unless you guys have other troubleshooting ideas in mind). Like I said, I have the driver from Driver Guide ready for action. I just don't want to create any more problems with a poor uninstallation.

M

mastershake86

I have an old pc that runs windows 2000. It has a tiny hd and it only has a floppy drive in it. My question is if I add a new HD to it and reinstall windows will I need drivers for stuff such as video card,ethernet card, sound, ect. or is that all in windows because I have 0 software for it and would like to just get it back to it's old working condition for like $100 and upgrade it from there. Thank you in advance. I can put electronics together good it's just software that I am a bit clueless on.

Apr 13, 2006
[QUOTE="mastershake86, post: 0]I have an old pc that runs windows 2000. It has a tiny hd and it only has a floppy drive in it. My question is if I add a new HD to it and reinstall windows will I need drivers for stuff such as video card,ethernet card, sound, ect. or is that all in windows because I have 0 software for it and would like to just get it back to it's old working condition for like $100 and upgrade it from there. Thank you in advance. I can put electronics together good it's just software that I am a bit clueless on.[/QUOTE]

You should have the same drivers you have now, assuming you're only using default drivers that came with Windows 2000. Of course, any new drivers you had to update with outside of what Windows 2000 contains, then yeah... you'd have to update.

By the way, guys, I've solved my problem! :)
Say what you want about this old PC of mine, it has served me VERY well... and continues to!

Svetlana

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2005
England
I have a problem with my PC and mobile phone. Recently my brother filmed something on his phone and I wanted to save the video file from his phone onto my PC to convert into a .mpeg or .avi file. The problem is that the .3GP file that the mobile phone video is encoded in is difficult to convert to a .mpeg simply because I cannot find the correct program to do so. Numerous downloads of programs found via a Google search later and still nothing.

There seems to be copious amounts of programs that convert mpeg, avi and every other movie file under the sun into .3GP but none that do the opposite.

Anybody found a program that does what I need?

Svetlana

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2005
England
Another day, another problem.

Today I bought a 2GB SD card for my digital camera which I presumed would work in my internal card reader (which is devoid of any brand). So I plugged the SD card into the reader and...it locked up my computer and gave me a 'This device could not work because of an I/O error' message.

What's odd is that my flash cards work in the very same reader without any problems. As Windows XP automatically recognises my card reader, could this be a driver problem? I have read that some card readers don't recognise SD cards higher than a specific size, usually 2GB.

This isn't a massive problem as I can transfer my files using the USB cable with my camera but being able to plug in the SD card would just save so much time.

Any suggestions?

Dec 3, 2006
[QUOTE="Svetlana, post: 0]I have a problem with my PC and mobile phone. Recently my brother filmed something on his phone and I wanted to save the video file from his phone onto my PC to convert into a .mpeg or .avi file. The problem is that the .3GP file that the mobile phone video is encoded in is difficult to convert to a .mpeg simply because I cannot find the correct program to do so. Numerous downloads of programs found via a Google search later and still nothing.

There seems to be copious amounts of programs that convert mpeg, avi and every other movie file under the sun into .3GP but none that do the opposite.

Anybody found a program that does what I need?[/quote]
A week old but oh well. :rolleyes:

I use 3GP Converter to convert videos from my cell's 3GP format to MPEG4 .avi format. Works great and can also convert videos for PSPs and iPods.

[QUOTE="Svetlana, post: 0]Another day, another problem.

Today I bought a 2GB SD card for my digital camera which I presumed would work in my internal card reader (which is devoid of any brand). So I plugged the SD card into the reader and...it locked up my computer and gave me a 'This device could not work because of an I/O error' message.

What's odd is that my flash cards work in the very same reader without any problems. As Windows XP automatically recognises my card reader, could this be a driver problem? I have read that some card readers don't recognise SD cards higher than a specific size, usually 2GB.

This isn't a massive problem as I can transfer my files using the USB cable with my camera but being able to plug in the SD card would just save so much time.

Any suggestions?[/quote]
I would try uninstalling the card reader drivers from the Device Manager and then rebooting the PC to reinstall the drivers. If the card reader requires other drivers, off of a CD for instance, try reinstalling those also.

Hope that helps.

P.S.3

Elite Member
Oct 25, 2006
I have a PC/Gaming Card issue. I get a message my drivers are out of date, and I should update them. I download this thing and when it starts to install the update, and error happens. Help!

Dec 3, 2006
[QUOTE="P.S.3, post: 0]
I have a PC/Gaming Card issue. I get a message my drivers are out of date, and I should update them. I download this thing and when it starts to install the update, and error happens. Help!
[/quote]
Could you provide more details? What graphics card? What is this "thing" and what is the error that occurs?

Blu-Ray

Elite Sage
Jul 9, 2006
How can I reset my Administrator's password? I just got my computer fixed, and I was only able to go on the name once. Luckly I created another accout before I wasn't able to log on the Admin User name.

Problem: I need to reset my Admin's Password - im not on the Admins name, Im on a regualr users.

Oct 24, 2006
The other day I reformatted my computer because it hadn't been wiped since I got it 3 years ago. I had my modem connected through ethernet before but after the format I can only seem to connect it through USB. Also, my sound does not work anymore.

If anyone could lend any help it would be greatly appreciated, let me know if you need more info.

Dec 3, 2006
[QUOTE="Blu-Ray, post: 0]How can I reset my Administrator's password? I just got my computer fixed, and I was only able to go on the name once. Luckly I created another accout before I wasn't able to log on the Admin User name.

Problem: I need to reset my Admin's Password - im not on the Admins name, Im on a regualr users.[/quote]
I think you can create a password reset disk under a normal account. It's under User Accounts in the Control Panel somewhere.

[QUOTE="anu0512, post: 0]any one know how to connect nfs carbon throw lan[/quote]
Try disable the firewalls on both computers.

[QUOTE="Trigger-Happy, post: 0]The other day I reformatted my computer because it hadn't been wiped since I got it 3 years ago. I had my modem connected through ethernet before but after the format I can only seem to connect it through USB. Also, my sound does not work anymore.

If anyone could lend any help it would be greatly appreciated, let me know if you need more info.[/quote]
It sounds like you're missing the drivers. If you bought it from a PC manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc), check for a driver or application recovery CD. If you can't find it, go to the support area of your PC's manufacterer's site and download the appropriate network card and sound drivers.

A

anu0512

@softtack plz u can tell me step by step bcoz nfs carbon connect to the internet and where is the option of lan connection plz tell me bro

Dec 3, 2006
softtack[/URL] plz u can tell me step by step bcoz nfs carbon connect to the internet and where is the option of lan connection plz tell me bro
I can't really help you out as I don't have NFS:C installed on my PC at the moment. But from reading things online, I don't think Carbon has LAN capabilities, which is weird because I remember there being LAN play. You'll have to poke around by yourself, sorry.

[QUOTE="Trigger-Happy, post: 0]Thanks Softtack, I went on over to Intel's website and downloaded the appropriate drivers.[/quote]
Glad you were able to find everything!

Sash

Elite Member
Jul 5, 2006
OK, this is about a laptop:

I've inserted my MS Pro Duo memory card into the card slot (it is compatible), but the card's gone much further in than normal (normal, as in on other slots, not normal as in 'it usually works fine on this laptop'). I tried 'pushing' it back out but that didn't work for some odd reason, it doesn't even let me push the memory card. I thought I must've read wrong and the card wasn't actually compatible but when I went to 'My Computer' there it was! Folders and files accessible and all! WTH?!

EDIT: Oh don't worry now.

christianpachon

Dedicated Member
Apr 13, 2006
Hello guys, i have a problem with my connection i guess. Last night i was playing gta: San andreas online, but they just kick me out saying that my ping is to high, i did not understood, can you help me, what it means and how to fix it. Thanks.

MavSkipper

Dedicated Member
Dec 11, 2005
teh UKz
msmav.blogspot.com
Hello guys, i have a problem with my connection i guess. Last night i was playing gta: San andreas online, but they just kick me out saying that my ping is to high, i did not understood, can you help me, what it means and how to fix it. Thanks.
the simpliest way to fix it to make sure no one is using your internet connection(p2p downloading and especially uploading)

there's also other reasons like your ISP is maybe doing maintenance and stuff