'Permanent' bans from XBL

Teraspark

Mostly Indifferent
Nov 4, 2009
Staffordshire
We all know the recent news but I didn't know every one of them would be permanent. Mods, deletle this if it has already been posted.

Thousands of Xbox 360 owners who have been cut off from Microsoft's Xbox Live service will have to buy a new console if they want to play online again.

Microsoft told BBC News that banned machines will be permanently barred and "unable to connect to Xbox Live".

A message displayed on affected consoles said there was "no recourse for terms of use violations".

Microsoft has barred as many as 1m gamers from Xbox live for modifying their consoles to play pirated games.

"Users of banned Xbox consoles can recover their profile to another, unmodified Xbox 360 console to resume their Live service," the firm told BBC News.

"The banned console will be unable to connect to Xbox Live."
However, modified consoles will still work offline.

'No recourse'

Microsoft said barring gamers was part of an ongoing drive to curb piracy.
But a statement from them suggests this latest wave was timed to prevent people from playing pirated versions of the widely-anticipated Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

"We can assure you that if an Xbox Live member follows the Xbox Live terms of use, purchased a retail copy of Modern Warfare 2 and played the game on an unmodified Xbox 360, no action will be taken," the firm said.
Microsoft said that it had banned a "small percentage" of the 20 million Xbox Live users worldwide

Many gamers modify their consoles by installing new chips or software that allows them to run unofficial - but not always illegal - programs and games.

Some BBC News website readers claimed that they had "modded" their consoles to allow them to make back-ups of games that they had already bought

"Discs are very fragile things and some users like to have their games backed up," said Donald Glass of Aberdeen.

"After all you will have paid £40 for a new disc. It is my opinion that once you buy a disc you should be allowed to do whatever you want with the media as long as you do not break copyright laws."

Microsoft has not said how it was able to determine which gamers to disconnect. "We do not reveal specifics, but can say that all consoles have been verified to have violated the terms of use," the firm said in a statement. It said that gamers who had been barred were using their modified consoles to "play illegally pirated games".

"We believe that even one modified console on the system is one too many"

Industry figures suggest that piracy may cost the video game industry as much as £750m a year.

Reports have speculated that new "mods" could soon be on the market that allow gamers to get round the blocks.
SOURCE

I don't know if I agree with Microsoft but they have every right to I guess.

What do you guys think?

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Microsoft has every right to do this. If they don't allow you to mod and play pirated games (even if said game is a "backup") then it doesnt matter. I believe games shouldn't be pirated - I did it once, and a week later the PS1 broke. Karma told me I shouldn't do it, and I haven't since. xD

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
Sigh "disc are fragile things" Im really tired of seeing that and the "i cant afford games" argument. Its really easy to take of the games. Every game I ever owned, dating back to my ps1 days, is mint. Even ahd one guy at a gamestop ask me if I even played my games or just broke the seal cause they mint. Yes systems can scratch the disc but hey for like 3 more dollars most places offer scratch protection. Think 3 is alot? Dont get that starbuck coffee or that mcdonalds breakfast and bam you paid for it. far as the "im broke" statement, then why get a system? Its like thos people who have 3 cars, 4 bedroom houses yet theres only 2 of them and they complain about not making the bills.

Sajuuk Khar

Dedicated Member
May 26, 2005
So if they have to buy another console, will that add to the sales numbers? will they take away the number they have banned from the total sold? Other threads and sources are saying between 600 000 to 1 million consoles have been banned. If all ( or even just some ) do re buy a console, thats going to be a easy way to inflate numbers over the xmas period. Thats not too paranoid is it :p

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
So, next NPD Xbox 360 numbers are gonna be massive?

[QUOTE="Yuuichi, post: 0]Sigh "disc are fragile things" Im really tired of seeing that and the "i cant afford games" argument. Its really easy to take of the games. Every game I ever owned, dating back to my ps1 days, is mint. Even ahd one guy at a gamestop ask me if I even played my games or just broke the seal cause they mint. Yes systems can scratch the disc but hey for like 3 more dollars most places offer scratch protection. Think 3 is alot? Dont get that starbuck coffee or that mcdonalds breakfast and bam you paid for it. far as the "im broke" statement, then why get a system? Its like thos people who have 3 cars, 4 bedroom houses yet theres only 2 of them and they complain about not making the bills.[/quote]

I agree, discs have cases for a reason, if you use them your disc should remain in near mint condition, provided the machine it's self doesn't cause any damage to the disc.

Teraspark

Mostly Indifferent
Nov 4, 2009
Staffordshire
[QUOTE="Sajuuk Khar, post: 0]So if they have to buy another console, will that add to the sales numbers? will they take away the number they have banned from the total sold? Other threads and sources are saying between 600 000 to 1 million consoles have been banned. If all ( or even just some ) do re buy a console, thats going to be a easy way to inflate numbers over the xmas period. Thats not too paranoid is it :p[/quote]

Hmmm...Microsoft are cheeky for lining this mass ban with Christmas. The sales are gonna go through the roof and the money going straight into Microsoft's back pockets.

Twiztid

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 0]Microsoft has every right to do this. If they don't allow you to mod and play pirated games (even if said game is a "backup") then it doesnt matter. I believe games shouldn't be pirated - I did it once, and a week later the PS1 broke. Karma told me I shouldn't do it, and I haven't since. xD[/quote]

Karma or poor soldering skills?

B

bachlab99

[QUOTE="Teraspark, post: 0]Hmmm...Microsoft are cheeky for lining this mass ban with Christmas. The sales are gonna go through the roof and the money going straight into Microsoft's back pockets.[/quote]

Under what strange logic can Microsoft's actions be deemed "cheeky"?

You do realise these people have been caught stealing right?

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
I don't think this will spur the sales you people are suggesting, in my opinon. Do you really expect those million users to go out and buy a new system? If they already have both systems most will just give up Xbox live than buy a whole new system.

Online with the PS3 and still pirate with the 360.

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
I think this will end up causing a lot more problems than fixing them.
MS is banning these machines and not the people themselves so eventually these will all hit places like Ebay.

And no doubt there will be a lot of lawsuits thrown MS's way for allowing it to happen.

Bet they wish they went with Blu-ray now lol

B

bachlab99

[QUOTE="Bitbydeath, post: 0]I think this will end up causing a lot more problems than fixing them.
MS is banning these machines and not the people themselves so eventually these will all hit places like Ebay.

And no doubt there will be a lot of lawsuits thrown MS's way for allowing it to happen.

Bet they wish they went with Blu-ray now lol[/quote]

In what possible way could Microsoft stop people selling their goods on eBay?

I wouldn't blame BMW if I bought a 'cut and shut' 3 series off eBay.

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
[QUOTE="bachlab99, post: 0]In what possible way could Microsoft stop people selling their goods on eBay?

I wouldn't blame BMW if I bought a 'cut and shut' 3 series off eBay.[/quote]

They couldn't, but they created the problem by banning the machines and the people who sell them don't have the money most others are after so they usually go for the ones that sign the bigger cheques.

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
These are interesting times for video games. Do you guys think this will bolster Xbox 360 sales for the next monthly sales figures?

[QUOTE="Teraspark, post: 0]
I don't know if I agree with Microsoft but they have every right to I guess.

What do you guys think?[/quote]

Doing the right thing rarely comes along without a sacrifice. Microsoft is doing the right thing, for sure. Yes, the sacrifice is nearly a million banned Xbox 360 users, but I think the industry will be better off from this action. Plain and simple.

In general, I feel that life is tough and people need to understand this. So I view this is an example that taking the easy way out never gets you anywhere in the long run.

Sep 10, 2005
MS isn't doing it for anyone's sake except theirs,they plain and simple want to boost their sales,and they know that at least half of the banned people will go and repurchase it again.But i do agree that its the right thing to do no matter what Ms intentions are.

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
^Yeah. I guess it's just coincidence that the consequence seems to be ethically sound (Piracy=Theft) in spite of whatever MS's actual intentions are for doing it.

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Bitbydeath, post: 0]They couldn't, but they created the problem by banning the machines and the people who sell them don't have the money most others are after so they usually go for the ones that sign the bigger cheques.[/quote]

The people that created the problem are the ones who modified their system, Microsoft didn't sell them that way.

Whether the console changes hands is irrelevant. It won't be allowed to connect to Live because the unit breaches the T&C's.

Anyone unfortunate enough to have purchased a unit that's been modified and subsequently banned will have to take it up with the person that sold them it - not Microsoft.

Pez_555

Master Guru
Feb 3, 2006
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 0] Do you really expect those million users to go out and buy a new system?

[/quote]

'apparently' they did with the RROD.

:p

(source based on what many believe on this forum).

Mikleran

Elite Member
May 9, 2006
[QUOTE="bachlab99, post: 0]In what possible way could Microsoft stop people selling their goods on eBay?[/quote]
They should have bricked the consoles completely, so that they don't even work offline (assuming they're within their power to do that). I assume they could have just written a clause into the Xbox Live terms and conditions, or even the terms of use of the Xbox.

It wouldn't really stop the Ebay sales problems, but it would stop the trade-in problem at shops!

B

bachlab99

[QUOTE="Mikleran, post: 0]They should have bricked the consoles completely, so that they don't even work offline (assuming they're within their power to do that). I assume they could have just written a clause into the Xbox Live terms and conditions, or even the terms of use of the Xbox. [/quote]

I don't think that's legal, or they would probably have done it.

Fact is people, Microsoft are both well within their rights and are doing the right thing here by attempting to stop piracy on their system. I understand that Microsoft doing something right is a bitter pill to swallow for some people.

If the effect of these bannings is some of these pirates [read:theives] buying another 360 then that's win-win for Microsoft and lose-lose for the pirates. Result! :)

Even Sony will benefit as some of the theives will buy a PS3 instead; no skin off Microsoft's nose however, as all these people were doing was stealing their games anyway. That makes it a win-win-win-win for everybody!! Yay Woo!

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
they have every right to ban them. Personally, I would agree that they should have "bricked" the 360's completely. Watch out for Ebay now, there are probably a slew of modified banned 360's for sale.

Teraspark

Mostly Indifferent
Nov 4, 2009
Staffordshire
Hmmm...I've decided to change my mind. What Microsfot will help the industry in some way or another but a complete and utter ban forever indiscriminately. What I mean is surely people who have modded the casing and whatnot have been banned also and don't think that's fair.

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Teraspark, post: 0]Hmmm...I've decided to change my mind. What Microsfot will help the industry in some way or another but a complete and utter ban forever indiscriminately. What I mean is surely people who have modded the casing and whatnot have been banned also and don't think that's fair.[/quote]

Except it's not indiscriminate. It's targeted specifically at users who have modified their consoles to play pirated media.

I've yet to see an article stating Microsoft were unfairly banning unmodified units (though, I'm sure they'll make mistakes from time to time).

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
[QUOTE="Pez_555, post: 0]'apparently' they did with the RROD.

:p

(source based on what many believe on this forum).[/quote]

Well, that was what I was trying to get at in the other XBL ban thread.

The idea of finding someone on their 2nd or 3rd Xbox 360 due to faulty hardware (at least around forums) wasn't a rarity in the past. I don't know if that would have anything to do with reinforcing Microsoft's banning decision, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

ufo8mycat

Superior Member
Jan 26, 2009
I can see 360 hardware units sold increasing soon. The people that got banned will probably just buy another unit. Not all the 1m, but there will be quite a few. :p

Steve

Forum Sage
Nov 19, 2008
Columbia, MO
Right on Microsoft. I'm all for it. The more attempts and moves that are made to try and eliminate piracy and mods there are, the better I think. Sure I doubt it'll ever be completely eliminated for as companies up their game in regards to riding piracy, those who make mods simply find ways to get past it. That's the point of a mod, after all. I'm hoping Sony will begin to take action again mods as well.