Phil lies again. Microsoft says it’s no longer planning VR support on Xbox

Jun 4, 2007
Microsoft’s chief marketing officer of gaming Mike Nichols said that “we don’t have any plans specific to Xbox consoles in virtual reality or mixed reality.” Nichols goes on to say that the PC is “probably the best platform” for virtual and mixed reality, and that for the Xbox, “our focus is primarily on experiences you would play on your TV.”
source

-------------------------------------------------
Edit: Phil/MS confirmed that VR was still coming as of Feb 2018.

I was just talking about this too. Another ball kicking blow to the xbox fans that wanted VR.
We’re also excited to share that Windows Mixed Reality experiences will light up on other devices over time, beyond desktop and Microsoft HoloLens. Our plan is to bring mixed reality content to the Xbox One family of devices, including Project Scorpio, in 2018.
They confirmed it Feb 18' because they updated the page and didn't remove the quote. More lies from MS.

------------------------------------------------------------
Edit 2: This is the mighty Phil lying out of his mouth that VR was going to be a part of the Xbone X because it was powerful enough to handle it. Fallout 4 was supposed to be on the X.

There's no damage controlling you can do. According to Phil(not me) the X was strong enough to handle VR with no issues at all.

This is just a piece of the puzzle as to why I have trust issues with the xbox brand. Phil is a liar. All other discussions that don't pertain to VR or MS will be reported. Sony has nothing to do with this thread. Thank you in advance(y)

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
source

I was just talking about this too. Another ball kicking blow to the xbox fans that wanted VR.
Lol.. I don’t think so. The facts show that most Xbox fans don’t care much for VR, and judging by Sony’s silence and lack of coverage of it at E-3,neither do PlayStation fans. VR is still for the niche audience. Just like 3D games.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
source

There's no damage controlling you can do. According to Phil(not me) the X was strong enough to handle VR with no issues at all.

This is just a piece of the puzzle as to why I have trust issues with the xbox brand. Phil is a liar. All other discussions that don't pertain to VR or MS will be reported. Sony has nothing to do with this thread. Thank you in advance(y)
You are reaching so hard to try and grasp something that does not exist.

Sony's VR is not doing so great for a player that is a dominant marker leader, why on earth would Microsoft go hard pursuing it? Why would it be something that bothers someone that is not a gamer in the platform?

Jun 4, 2007
There's nothing to reach for when FACTS are involved. Try again @acryllicaltair. MS lied. That's another hard hitting reality that you don't like facing being that you praise Phil. You're once again trying to make excuses for their failures and lies of MS and Phil. It doesn't work on anyone. It's just burning your ass because it's a fact you can't argue your way out of.

You're Cypher from The Maxtrix:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
There's nothing to reach for when FACTS are involved. Try again @acryllicaltair. MS lied. That's another hard hitting reality that you don't like facing being that you praise Phil. You're once again trying to make excuses for their failures and lies of MS and Phil. It doesn't work on anyone. It's just burning your ass because it's a fact you can't argue your way out of.

You're Cypher from The Maxtrix:ROFLMAO:
Lied about what? They said they wanted a console that could do true 4k and high fidelity VR.

You want a platform that allows you the highest specs then have a go at the PC, there is nothing wrong with that. At current, there is nothing, and I mean nothing in the way of market pull that makes them come out with a product for the console.

It is not worth the time, it is not worth the investment. People forget that they had something that they were fronting at the start of the generation; and people complained to a point that they had to un-bundle it from the console. This generation is coming to an end in two years or so. The new generation is what they should be planning for, not making someone who has never, and will never buy a console happy.

May 20, 2008
You are reaching so hard to try and grasp something that does not exist.
This guy reaches more than Plastic man.

Sony's VR is not doing so great for a player that is a dominant marker leader, why on earth would Microsoft go hard pursuing it? Why would it be something that bothers someone that is not a gamer in the platform?
I bet he doesn’t even own any VR games..lol Why would MS push VR when they see how its failed to gain a foothold with PlayStation and PC.

Lied about what? They said they wanted a console that could do true 4k and high fidelity VR.

You want a platform that allows you the highest specs then have a go at the PC, there is nothing wrong with that. At current, there is nothing, and I mean nothing in the way of market pull that makes them come out with a product for the console.

It is not worth the time, it is not worth the investment. People forget that they had something that they were fronting at the start of the generation; and people complained to a point that they had to un-bundle it from the console. This generation is coming to an end in two years or so. The new generation is what they should be planning for, not making someone who has never, and will never buy a console happy.
lol..he's just trying to change the conversation. He cant use the "Phil lied about focusing on building studios and 1st party line up" anymore so he has to find something else. VR has basically no growth with the market leader but somehow he thinks Microsoft should put more resources into it.::rolleyes:

Last edited:

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
This guy reaches more than Plastic man.

I bet he doesn’t even own any VR games..lol Why would MS push VR when they see how its failed to gain a foothold with PlayStation and PC.

lol..he's just trying to change the conversation. He cant use the "Phil lied about focusing on building studios and 1st party line up" anymore so he has to find something else. VR has basically no growth with the market leader but somehow he thinks Microsoft should put more resources into it.::rolleyes:
At the start of the generation; oh, forget the fact that Microsoft are pushing out games and Sony is not, it is all about the power difference. No way should we be playing 900p games in this generation.

When Sony started putting one killer game out every year, and always at the start of the year with nothing of quality the rest of the year for the most part, the narrative changed to Microsoft does not have any games outside Gears, Halo and Forza. The quality games that Sony have put out are Uncharted, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn.....but teh, teh, teh power. It is teh power, no one cares about services that Microsoft is focused on.

Power changed with the XB1X, and all of a sudden, fake 4k was not an issue, it was now about games. MS has bought studios, and one of the first few posts I read on here in the E3 section was how Playground and Undead were not great acquisitions because they were second party, how it will take time to get some games out.

Slowly but surely, this lot is going to run out of excuses when Microsoft is done with what they envision with their platform. It is an ambitious strategy, and I for one hope that it pans out.

This VR nonsense is just that, nonsense. It is as you say, it has not traction anywhere and support for it in terms of games is even less.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Lol.. I don’t think so. The facts show that most Xbox fans don’t care much for VR, and judging by Sony’s silence and lack of coverage of it at E-3,neither do PlayStation fans. VR is still for the niche audience. Just like 3D games.
There was no silence or lack of coverage of PS VR games at Sony's E3 conference this year.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
There was no silence or lack of coverage of PS VR games at Sony's E3 conference this year.
No amount of spinning can show that VR is doing better than was anticipated.

This was an article from late last year that highlighted the struggles of VR not only from Sony themselves who said that it was performing lower than they had anticipated, but by other players who called it a niche market, and how they wanted games developed across the board for all VR devices and not only for a specific device. In their words, a niche market within a niche market.

So it is surprising to see people come out and say that there is need, a real need for Microsoft to be chasing this.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-23-sony-vr-market-growth-below-expectations

As for the lack of coverage, I think it simply means that those games are not getting the recognition or hype that some of the other games are getting, and who would blame them seeing? A VR game might have the market share of something like 2-3 million units when a full console title would have a reach of 80 million potential buyers.

VR is not this huge thing that people had hoped it would have been a few years ago, and at launch of these consoles. I can understand why Microsoft is not chasing it either.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Whether PS VR is hugely successful or not was not the point of my post. I distinctly remember Sony showcasing a number of PS VR games during E3. It is a false narrative to say there was silence/lack of coverage for the platform.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
What?? What facts???

Playstation VR is not at all like 3D games. I have over 30 PS VR games and the experience is incredible. There is a huge demand for VR and Microsoft is making a mistake by not giving their consumers an option to play VR games on their console. The PS VR scene is massive!

Jun 4, 2007
Learn to read and listen and stop asking me bullshit stupid questions. I covered everything in the op. Phil said the xbox one X was able to allow true 4k and VR. Fuck all that other runaround bullshit you're talking about. It doesn't matter what Sony or anyone else in the PC space is doing. MS marketed it as a major addition to X and now it's not coming for whatever reason(which doesn't matter). That makes Phil out to be a liar. Duh!

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
What?? What facts???

Playstation VR is not at all like 3D games. I have over 30 PS VR games and the experience is incredible. There is a huge demand for VR and Microsoft is making a mistake by not giving their consumers an option to play VR games on their console. The PS VR scene is massive!
When I said VR is like 3d games i mean its audience is small compared to what the majority plays. You owning VR games doesn’t prove there is a huge demand. There is no huge demand. We just had the biggest gaming event and the main focus was on non-VR titles. I'm sure there were booths at the event that had VR games to play but that doesn't exactly say huge demand. The truth is that the audience for this tech is small compared to those that prefer traditional gaming . Now, im not saying that VR is dead but when you talk about what excites gamers the most its not going to be VR games. if they did a poll on what xbox gamers want the most from MS VR would probably be at the bottom of that list. I believe not getting too involved in it was a smart business decision from Microsoft. Sony rarely addresses its VR numbers. There is a reason for that.

oh yes it was. Those guys playing the banjo and flute got more stage time than the VR games...lol

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Learn to read and listen and stop asking me bullshit stupid questions. I covered everything in the op. Phil said the xbox one X was able to allow true 4k and VR. Fuck all that other runaround bullshit you're talking about. It doesn't matter what Sony or anyone else in the PC space is doing. MS marketed it as a major addition to X and now it's not coming for whatever reason(which doesn't matter). That makes Phil out to be a liar. Duh!
I cannot take you seriously when you are still busy editing the OP and replying to me in another post. The last edit on the OP was an hour ago.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
By the way, one question I am forced to ask is this. Is there anyone that has said that the Xbox One X cannot deliver 4k gaming and is there proof that it cannot deliver VR? Or are these the incessant ramblings of someone clutching at straws?

I would like to go on and believe that English on this forum is something that people are good conversing at. Microsoft said that they had a plan to bring mixed reality to the Xbox One X, they did not guarantee it. I wonder why there is so much noise when people are not dying to own this or any other VR solution that is out there on PC or Playstation.

I support this move; Microsoft is better off investing in things that will actually have demand this generation and next generation. Things that will actually bring in a profit as opposed to having some half baked idea that they cannot fully support, or developers for that matter.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
I cannot take you seriously when you are still busy editing the OP and replying to me in another post. The last edit on the OP was an hour ago.
Lol.. yea he likes to stealth edit quite often. He’s probably just stressed and hasn’t had any sleep since E-3. Phil has him eating a bit of crow right now and he’s in his feelings.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Lol.. yea he likes to stealth edit quite often. He probably just stressed and hasn’t had any sleep since E-3. Phil has him eating a bit of crow right now and he’s in his feelings.
He was being dishonest, and that is something that needed calling out to be honest.

I remembered telling him to wait and see before jumping the gun, and that Phil Spencer was actually doing a good job. It may not have been as fast as people had hoped for it to be, but he actually had a plan to sort out services, then hardware, then software.

He has done everything he wanted to do, and it is now up to the developers to use what they have at their disposal to make quality games for the consumer. I remember reading everywhere that this E3 was where Microsoft needed to deliver, and they did. Now we are talking about freaking VR where you have a tonne of shovelware as if it is something that will make or break a generation for anyone. Freaking VR, a niche product that does not have developers rushing to support.

May 20, 2008
He was being dishonest, and that is something that needed calling out to be honest.

I remembered telling him to wait and see before jumping the gun, and that Phil Spencer was actually doing a good job. It may not have been as fast as people had hoped for it to be, but he actually had a plan to sort out services, then hardware, then software.

He has done everything he wanted to do, and it is now up to the developers to use what they have at their disposal to make quality games for the consumer. I remember reading everywhere that this E3 was where Microsoft needed to deliver, and they did. Now we are talking about freaking VR where you have a tonne of shovelware as if it is something that will make or break a generation for anyone. Freaking VR, a niche product that does not have developers rushing to support.
Yep, and now he’s moved the the field goal post once again to VR support. Always about how he doesn’t trust Phil and just wants Xbox to do better...lol Yet there are crickets about what Sony is doing to gamers with Fortnite.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Yep, and now he’s moved the the field goal post once again to VR support. Always about how he doesn’t trust Phil and just wants Xbox to do better...lol Yet there are crickets about what Sony is doing to gamers with Fortnite.
When it comes to third party support, there is no reason as to why there should be no cross play. That is something that I just believe in, especially now that the technology is there to support that.

There is money involved, I know that, but what would these guys be losing by letting people compete on different platforms? And this goes for Microsoft too. If you have a good product, people will always flock to it, and there are people that are legacy buyers of a system that will stick to it until they get to a time when they are no longer gaming.

EDIT.

Time is still king and time reveals all eventually. Honestly think that if Microsoft adds two or three really good developers then they will have content that will be hard to pass up on. They might not sell as many consoles even next gen as others, but they will have content that is compelling. Waypoint Podcast (The Vice) and Giant Bomb (in their interview with Phil) were intimating that there is something that Microsoft may be working on.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
What?? What facts???

Repeat slowly.

THERE. IS. NO. HUGE. DEMAND. FOR. VR.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-23-sony-vr-market-growth-below-expectations

There is also limited or no money to be made off it.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Nobody said anything about a HUGE demand for VR. But there is certainly a demand for it on the PS4. There are some great VR games on the console and I am sure devs and publishers are making money of the games. It takes much less time to put out a VR title than a regular game.

Maybe Microsoft is still trying to figure out how to make the hololens an actual thing.

May 20, 2008
Nobody said anything about a HUGE demand for VR. But there is certainly a demand for it on the PS4. There are some great VR games on the console and I am sure devs and publishers are making money of the games. It takes much less time to put out a VR title than a regular game.

Maybe Microsoft is still trying to figure out how to make the hololens an actual thing.
Lol...yes you did. You even said the VR scene on ps4 is massive. Not true!

Jun 4, 2007
I edited the op just for you. It shows the entire forum that you're talking out your *** when you ask dumb questions pretending that VR wasn't supposed to be part of the xbone X. Your lack of reading comprehension amazes me. And with that said, due to you being a complete ****, you're now on my ignore list. Enjoy reading my post knowing that I can't read or see yours. You're not worthy of a response from Two4DaMoney.

That's just his thing. He tries to downplay huge accomplishments from Sony in order to try and level the playing field. He's done it across multiple threads that highlight MS's failures.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
I edited the op just for you. It contains the same fucking content. Your lack of reading comprehension amazes me. And with that said, due to you being a complete ****, you're now on my ignore list. Enjoy reading my post knowing that I can't read or see yours. You're not worthy of a response from Two4DaMoney.
Dude, dont get mad at someone else because you misconstrued something Phil said, which was "our console can support VR". You edited the post and you got caught. Plain and simple.
Here a quote from Phil about VR:
Still, Microsoft is not exactly going all-out for VR, and in a new interview with Australian gaming site Stevivor, Xbox head Phil Spencer echoes a lot of common concerns about the applications of the tech in its current state, though he remains positive about the scene as a whole.

“I don’t think the creators in the game space have yet found – well, they haven’t obviously perfected the craft of building VR games,” Spencer said. “…What experiences do you put in people’s hands to have a long term engagement? Most of these things I’m playing now feel like demos and experiments, which I actually think it’s absolutely the right thing to have happened. That’s not a criticism at all, but should be happening. But I think it will take time.

And the article goes on:

Spencer goes on to talk about the lessons Microsoft learned from the Kinect, how that hardware essentially turned into a “Dance Central Box,” which wasn’t necessarily an insult to the series, but it represented the limitations of the appeal of the hardware, however innovative it was supposed to be.

VR is facing a similar challenge (though it’s certainly in a healthier position than Kinect), but it does not seem that it’s found its own “Dance Central” yet, something that everyone can point to and say “see, this is why this works.” Across three major VR headsets, there may be individual games or demos that wow people, but as Spencer says, many feel like early tests of something larger to come.
Microsoft’s positioning seems fairly smart here. They’re straddling the line, meaning that if VR does blow up, they can run third party VR headsets through the Scorpio, which is a useful feature. But if it doesn’t, they haven’t invested millions of dollars and thousands of hours making hardware that doesn’t pan out.

Unless there’s a major change in the industry, it seems unlikely that we will see Scorpio selling itself on the potential of VR, focusing instead on the power to play traditional console games effectively. VR capability is a nice feature for a niche audience, but again, that remains a niche audience, even after the release of three fully-fledged consumer VR sets.

I think Spencer is dead-on in his analysis here. In a way, yes, VR sort of does have to start out as this sort of collection of demos and experiments. But there are some games that are full experiences, and there will only be more of them in time. The problem is, for a large majority of the public, VR does not have enough going for it at the moment to be worth the cost. That may change in the future, but it’s going to probably be slow going for a very long while, hence Microsoft’s positioning of the Scorpio here.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...rrent-software-has-a-ways-to-go/#6bf673857eea
Now where did he make any promise about supporting VR? You're reaching again as usual.

That's just his thing. He tries to downplay huge accomplishments from Sony in order to try and level the playing field. He's done it across multiple threads that highlight MS's failures.
When it comes to VR there are no huge accomplishments to downplay. The VR experience is still a niche experience and Microsoft and Nintendo are smart to take a wait and see approach. Who's the one really down playing here? You are the one who created the thread about Phil lying but it seems the only one lying is you.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010

Seriously! I simply quoted you saying there is huge demand for VR, and how massive the VR scene is. It isn't massive, neither is there a demand for VR to justify the investment. And this is something that is coming from people that are actually invested in that tech who are calling it 'small' or 'niche'; they describe exclusivity in that genre as being 'niche within a niche market'.

There is nothing wrong in saying I got it wrong.
I edited the op just for you. It shows the entire forum that you're talking out your *** when you ask dumb questions pretending that VR wasn't supposed to be part of the xbone X. Your lack of reading comprehension amazes me. And with that said, due to you being a complete ****, you're now on my ignore list. Enjoy reading my post knowing that I can't read or see yours. You're not worthy of a response from Two4DaMoney.

1. When did MS ever promise that they would bring VR to console? They never at one time did that. What they said was that they wanted a console that could deliver that experience in high fidelity. Can the XB1X do that? Maybe, maybe not. I think that @Sub-stance1 has debunked this theory to a far greater degree than I did initially. Which is why I mentioned that there was never a commitment from MS that they would bring anything concerning VR to the console, and you wont find any online. So move on, search the web for something else to complain about.

2. There is a flow to the forum. I cannot be bothered reading an OP when I get a notification of a reply.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Lol...yes you did. You even said the VR scene on ps4 is massive. Not true!
PS VR is massive compared to 3D games, Kinect, motion controls, and any other add-ons that ever came out on consoles. It is easily the most successful and games keep rolling out every single week. Good games too.

Xbox still has to rely on the 360 to stay relevant against the PS4. This is why they put so much work in allowing gamers to play games from their only truly successful console. Microsoft has done nothing to change gaming. (except for bringing the failed Kinect to the XB1 by force....) I bet Xbox 360 games are played more on the XB1 than actual XB1 games. I would almost guarantee this.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
PS VR is massive compared to 3D games, Kinect, motion controls, and any other add-ons that ever came out on consoles. It is easily the most successful and games keep rolling out every single week. Good games too.

Xbox still has to rely on the 360 to stay relevant against the PS4. This is why they put so much work in allowing gamers to play games from their only truly successful console. Microsoft has done nothing to change gaming. (except for bringing the failed Kinect to the XB1 by force....) I bet Xbox 360 games are played more on the XB1 than actual XB1 games. I would almost guarantee this.
Nintendo Wii was a console built around motion control. It is easily the biggest success in this space.

When it comes to VR, its success is not being measured against anything that came before. Its success is being measured on how well it is doing and whether or not the adoption is where people thought it would be at this moment in time. Sony says that PS VR is lagging and players that were in the industry before they got their product out are of the opinion that while it is growing, it is still a niche product. The money side of it is also something that they has not been that great.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Nintendo Wii was a console built around motion control. It is easily the biggest success in this space.
The Wii proved that nobody wants motion controls. VR is really the only place for it. Everyone bought a Wii because the motion controls were going to be amazing. It wasn't and the games sucked.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
The Wii proved that nobody wants motion controls. VR is really the only place for it. Everyone bought a Wii because the motion controls were going to be amazing. It wasn't and the games sucked.
The Wii proved that way too many people can buy something and that developers can rush to get shovelware out on it. It had a good amount of good titles and a good amount of poor titles.

VR is the new hype thing that has not caught on in I do not know how many years. I knew of gamers that owned the Wii, even the Gamecube, I know of no single friend (out of several hundred gamers I personally know) that wants a VR kit of any kind. It might catch fire, it might not. As for now, few want bulky goggles at a premium price point that have little support from developers.