Phil lies again. Microsoft says it’s no longer planning VR support on Xbox

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
The Wii proved that way too many people can buy something and that developers can rush to get shovelware out on it. It had a good amount of good titles and a good amount of poor titles.

VR is the new hype thing that has not caught on in I do not know how many years. I knew of gamers that owned the Wii, even the Gamecube, I know of no single friend (out of several hundred gamers I personally know) that wants a VR kit of any kind. It might catch fire, it might not. As for now, few want bulky goggles at a premium price point that have little support from developers.
Nintendo actually screwed themselves with very weak hardware that lacked HD support. Nintendo basically ruined motion controls for everyone because of the Wii.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Nintendo actually screwed themselves with very weak hardware that lacked HD support. Nintendo basically ruined motion controls for everyone because of the Wii.
Sony had Sixaxis and Move, MS had Kinect.

There wasn't enough traction for these or a tonne of content that was absolute quality. They fell on their own sword.

May 20, 2008
VR isn't going away though so Microsoft should start looking into how they can support it.
I don’t think that’s a good enough reason to support it more than they’ve already done. Microsoft learned its lesson with Kinect and you would think Sony would of did the same with that ps move thing, but I guess not. VR is a niche peripheral. Plain and simple. If ever blows up to be something big I’m sure they’ll be well prepared like they are right now.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
source

-------------------------------------------------
Edit: Phil/MS confirmed that VR was still coming as of Feb 2018.

I was just talking about this too. Another ball kicking blow to the xbox fans that wanted VR.

They confirmed it Feb 18' because they updated the page and didn't remove the quote. More lies from MS.

------------------------------------------------------------
Edit 2: This is the mighty Phil lying out of his mouth that VR was going to be a part of the Xbone X because it was powerful enough to handle it. Fallout 4 was supposed to be on the X.

There's no damage controlling you can do. According to Phil(not me) the X was strong enough to handle VR with no issues at all.

This is just a piece of the puzzle as to why I have trust issues with the xbox brand. Phil is a liar. All other discussions that don't pertain to VR or MS will be reported. Sony has nothing to do with this thread. Thank you in advance(y)

Dude, grasping much.
SPencer has NEVER EVER said VR is coming anytime on the Xbox family.

Interview 2016

VR is something I'm watching. I've yet to find a VR experience that grabs me for longer than a few minutes. We designed Scorpio as a great VR console. It's set up for VR. I want to make sure I've got the right content and right partnership. I don't want to just tick a box that says, 'Okay, it has VR capability'. I want to track the market to see where it is. We have time to watch how the market plays out. I hope VR becomes something special, but I don't think it's a given yet. I have really seen the content that drives that deep engagement with console gaming today.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11721024

E3 2017
Asked about the lack of VR at the Microsoft E3 presentation, Spencer replied saying that he is “long-term bullish”, and a “believer in the category”, but had some reservations about how suitable it is (in its current state) in the family room environment of the game console. He referred to the issue of cords, and that “there’s just more people” to think about. “I do think we need to lose the cords at some point, we’re a few years from that”, he said.

The ONLY murky new about this was CNET

https://www.cnet.com/news/phil-spencer-xbox-one-x-still-supports-virtual-reality/

In which Phil went on record (as opposed to"CNET says") to clarify that VR WAS NOT coming.

So please STFU.

So please, just because he said Scorpio CAN do VR doesnt mean it WILL.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I don’t think that’s a good enough reason to support it more than they’ve already done. Microsoft learned its lesson with Kinect and you would think Sony would of did the same with that ps move thing, but I guess not. VR is a niche peripheral. Plain and simple. If ever blows up to be something big I’m sure they’ll be well prepared like they are right now.
VR is is awesome. Kinect, 3D, and standard motion controls are not.
VR is only getting better and will absolutely be around for a long time. PS5 will no doubt support it and I am sure a new PS VR with higher resolution is in the works. Nobody is laughing at VR like they did with Kinect or 3D.

May 20, 2008
VR is is awesome. Kinect, 3D, and standard motion controls are not.
VR is only getting better and will absolutely be around for a long time. PS5 will no doubt support it and I am sure a new PS VR with higher resolution is in the works. Nobody is laughing at VR like they did with Kinect or 3D.
There is nothing wrong with liking VR, and it may be awesome to you, but the fact still remains it’s probably never going to be much more than what it is. The adoption rate is incredibly low no matter how much you try to talk it up. I’m not saying it won’t exist anymore but I think it will continue to be a niche. As for Kinect ms learned a hard lesson with that. The Kinect craze wore off but at least it was a success initially. I think ms sold close to 35 million Kinect. How many VR sets have Sony sold? My guess is not very many since they are so reluctant to talk about it.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
There is nothing wrong with liking VR, and it may be awesome to you, but the fact still remains it’s probably never going to be much more than what it is. The adoption rate is incredibly low no matter how much you try to talk it up. I’m not saying it won’t exist anymore but I think it will continue to be a niche. As for Kinect ms learned a hard lesson with that. The Kinect craze wore off but at least it was a success initially. I think ms sold close to 35 million Kinect. How many VR sets have Sony sold? My guess is not very many since they are so reluctant to talk about it.
Microsoft sold Kinect bundled with the console and towards the end of the 360 life you could buy the bundle with Kinect for same price as standard console. And of course Kinect was bundled with XB1 for first 2 years or so. The numbers are padded.

VR unit sales are all sales of consumers actually wanting the product. Kinect was also 3-4x cheaper than a full VR setup on the PS4 which also helped sales. And Microsoft used a fake video of the infamous "Milo" to trick consumers in to buying the camera. Also there was nothing else like Kinect so it had no competition. PS VR has to compete against Samsung Gear VR, Oculus VR, and other VR devices.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Microsoft sold Kinect bundled with the console and towards the end of the 360 life you could buy the bundle with Kinect for same price as standard console. And of course Kinect was bundled with XB1 for first 2 years or so. The numbers are padded.

VR unit sales are all sales of consumers actually wanting the product. Kinect was also 3-4x cheaper than a full VR setup on the PS4 which also helped sales. And Microsoft used a fake video of the infamous "Milo" to trick consumers in to buying the camera. Also there was nothing else like Kinect so it had no competition. PS VR has to compete against Samsung Gear VR, Oculus VR, and other VR devices.
So basically, you don’t know how many of the VR systems have been sold. That was my point. It doesn’t matter how Kinect was sold or what your personnel opinion is about it. Microsoft told us how many they sold even when they knew the core gamers disliked it. Now, you say the VR scene is massive and the sales are for people who actually want the product. Unlike Kinect where it was bundled.Give us some info to back up your claim that the VR scene is massive because i haven’t seen any evidence of that.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
So basically, you don’t know how many of the VR systems have been sold. That was my point. It doesn’t matter how Kinect was sold or what your personnel opinion is about it. Microsoft told us how many they sold even when they knew the core gamers disliked it. Now, you say the VR scene is massive and the sales are for people who actually want the product. Unlike Kinect where it was bundled.Give us some info to back up your claim that the VR scene is massive because i haven’t seen any evidence of that.
2 million units as of December last year.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/07/sony-sold-2-million-psvr-units-in-over-one-year/

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
1) Most are not bothered by it; they show no interest to it as they did with move, kinect.
2) The price is so restrictive, even at the current $300 for PS VR which is the cheapest option.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
your guess? Even if it those numbers are true that's still proves its niche compared to the ps4s out there.
Or you could add up all the VR unit sales seeing how there is competition out there. VR is on more than just the Playstation platform there buddy.......

Playstation VR - Estimated 3 million

Numbers are from May of 2017. 1 year old
Gear VR - 5 million
Google Daydream - .24 million
HTC Vive - .42 million
Oculus Rift - 24 million
Google Cardboard - 10 million

Total as of May 23, 2017 = 16.92 million units sold.

VR seems to be doing well as a whole seeing how these numbers are over a 2 year period. Sales could be up 10 million more as of today for all we know.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Google Cardboard?

Yeah that shows you exactly how much people are willing to invest in the GIMMICK.

Most people will spend more on a coffee. They value that more.

May 20, 2008
Or you could add up all the VR unit sales seeing how there is competition out there. VR is on more than just the Playstation platform there buddy.......

Playstation VR - Estimated 3 million

Numbers are from May of 2017. 1 year old
Gear VR - 5 million
Google Daydream - .24 million
HTC Vive - .42 million
Oculus Rift - 24 million
Google Cardboard - 10 million

Total as of May 23, 2017 = 16.92 million units sold.

VR seems to be doing well as a whole seeing how these numbers are over a 2 year period. Sales could be up 10 million more as of today for all we know.
Actually those numbers are a bit off. iirc, its actually closer to 19 Mil on statista.com last time I checked. Still not massive like you said. Not even with google cardboard..lol

Google Cardboard?

Yeah that shows you exactly how much people are willing to invest in the GIMMICK.

lol...yea, I know. And they were actually giving those away by the thousands at trade shows.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Google Cardboard?

VR is VR. Does not matter what it costs and I already expected you and Sub to pick out that one thing and try to knock VR because the Xbox does not support it. You puppets are predictable. If the Xbox switch to a single thumbstick you both would be telling us why that is the better controller.......

And sub you did see that those numbers were from 1 year ago right? Of course they are all less than what they are right now.

May 20, 2008
VR is VR. Does not matter what it costs and I already expected you and Sub to pick out that one thing and try to knock VR because the Xbox does not support it. You puppets are predictable. If the Xbox switch to a single thumbstick you both would be telling us why that is the better controller.......
You can’t have it both ways,Lethal. You knock Kinect sales because it was included with the consoles but at the same time a lot of google cardboards were being given away to help promote it.

But still, I wouldn’t use massive when describing it market share among gamers. But if that’s massive to you so be it.

And sub you did see that those numbers were from 1 year ago right? Of course they are all less than what they are right now.
I saw a date but You didn’t include a source and we were discussing numbers/sales.

H

Hedon

VR flopped. Can't blame MS for not supporting another gimmick like Kinect.

Things change. I am glad they are focused on games all the way now.