Photo showoff thread

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="Eltimas, post: 0]So what specifications should i look for when i ask around the store? For an amateur like me.[/quote]

Depends really, but mostly you're going to want full manual control so you can understand and learn the basics of aperture, shutter speed and ISO, and how those three things work with or against each other to achieve the results you want from your camera. Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Canon, Nikon, they all offer DSLRs in the lower range that can do this.

Make sure you get one that has detachable lens, so you can eventually get something else, or at least get the feel for all that, DOF (Depth of Field) and all the good stuff that cameras can do.

It doesn't have to be expensive either. Full Manual control is what you need in order to learn the basics.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
[QUOTE="-Deadpool-, post: 0]One of my favourites from the F1 this weekend.

[/quote]
Absolutely bloody excellent. Did you take this?? Well impressed.

GhostFox61

Elite Member
Jan 26, 2007
[QUOTE="-Deadpool-, post: 0]One of my favourites from the F1 this weekend.

[/quote]

Very nice shot, excellent use of panning.

If you'd like a bit of advice, try to shoot from a slightly higher angle next time (which can be extremely difficult depending on where you are shooting from) and leave some negative space in front of the car, further reinforcing the impression of speed. When an object appears to be traveling into the frame, your brain implies motion. Also, if you are going to do a tight crop to the rear of the car like you have done above, try cropping it so that about 75% of the near rear tire is in frame. Your mind automatically completes common shapes, adding interest to the image and resulting in a smoother transition at the edge.

It looks like you have a very good eye for photography. Nice work.

GOA510

Elite Member
May 7, 2007
Wish the lighting was reversed, but hey can't control everything.

Took a ton of pics of the local Good Guys Hot Rod show, so I'll have to load them and post em.

Here's one I took of my car one night. Wish I would have washed my car before hand though :(

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Sparc, post: 0]Absolutely bloody excellent. Did you take this?? Well impressed.[/quote]

[QUOTE="venomsteve, post: 0]if he did then i'm also impressed! don't think he did though...[/quote]

Yup, that's one of mine. Sparc has probably seen it in my GP thread now anyway 8)

[QUOTE="GhostFox61, post: 0]Very nice shot, excellent use of panning.

If you'd like a bit of advice, try to shoot from a slightly higher angle next time (which can be extremely difficult depending on where you are shooting from) and leave some negative space in front of the car, further reinforcing the impression of speed. When an object appears to be traveling into the frame, your brain implies motion. Also, if you are going to do a tight crop to the rear of the car like you have done above, try cropping it so that about 75% of the near rear tire is in frame. Your mind automatically completes common shapes, adding interest to the image and resulting in a smoother transition at the edge.

It looks like you have a very good eye for photography. Nice work.[/quote]

Thanks for the comments, unfortunately not possible to implement as there was nowhere to get elevated and still shoot close enough to minimise the fences around Albert Park 8)

GOA510

Elite Member
May 7, 2007
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 0]You doing strobes or what is the lighting set up?[/quote]

No strobes or extra lighting setup, just the natural over head lighting. I did darken the edges up in Lightroom 2 to make the car's highlights "pop" more.

Picture was taken at the following settings:
f/6.3
ISO 200
1/6 sec
-2 exposure

UberNerD20

Elite Guru
Jan 2, 2008
steamcommunity.com
Some pics from my last campin trip with my friends, we found a lil island and want to get to it, and also we had no boat but didnt just want to fish off the shore, so we did what any other group of wilderness drunks would do...
we made a raft.

in hopes this would work

Victory!!!!!

and we made it to the island
though when we took it fishin my friend had his pole sittin on a log and it shifted and we lost his pole and the bait :(

Wrath

Master Guru
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 0]It won't even open your hide/show thing...[/quote]

I don't know what happened with the pictures...

Apr 14, 2009
I am just now starting to really get into photography but love it. Here are some of my favs I have shot, some with point and shoot, some dslr..

Sep 1, 2006
So-Cal
okok you guys know im not really a photographer person but heres something i snapped up randomly when my mailbox got vandalised by some stupid school kids.
Also note, here in California its illegal to pick or mutilate poppies... so in that i give you:

"Murdered"

lemme know what you think for my first try at trying to capture something. (or should i stick to drawing? lol)

Taken with an 8.1mp 4gb Sony DSC T2

R

REFLEX

Hey not bad at all. I mean it's not like you are expected to do amazing things with a photo of a squashed flower on a road! Composition is fine, depth of field is good, exposure is fine. Over all = good!

Sep 1, 2006
So-Cal
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 0]Hey not bad at all. I mean it's not like you are expected to do amazing things with a photo of a squashed flower on a road! Composition is fine, depth of field is good, exposure is fine. Over all = good![/quote]

awesome thank you ^_^

also i didnt want to touch it in photoshop.. just to see how well i could get the raw image... i know i can make it pretty awesome with ps.. greener greens... deeper orange richer contrast...

R

REFLEX

Hmmmm well.... that's a debate for a whole other day. There are purists out there who do absolutely no touching up or altering to the photo once it leaves the camera. Then there are those (like me) who try to do as little as possible in terms of changing major settings. But I still do some stuff if I think it will more closely represent how it "felt" or "looked" to my eyes. But I'm not a big fan of over doing photoshop to make it look totally unrealistic. But that again is just my opinion.

But I know that's not what you meant, contrast and saturation are good tools to use because often exposures can't really represent exactly how you remembered or saw the object you photographed.

But your approach is very healthy in terms of learning camera basics.

I personally don't feel it's a good mentality to be like "well I can always fix it later in photo shop". Then you just learn to rely on a program and not your photographing skills. Not that photoshop isn't a skill or artform.

But anyway, it's a fine job you did. The technical elements are all there.