Photoshop Help Thread (Please Sticky)

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
I noticed there was no real help threads for aspiring sig makers, so I thought I'd make this filled with links to good stocks, renders, tutorials, brushes etc. Ill keep this updated as I find stuff too and hopefully someone (nudge nudge, wink wink, Trib :mrgreen:) can sticky it too.

Sig Making Software
-Photoshop 7, CS, CS2, CS3 - 30 Day Trail - Leading photo editing software from Adobe.
-GIMP - Free to use software - Can do most things Photoshop can.
-PaintShopPro - Just dont bother - An inferior product to Photoshop, that hardly anyone uses anymore.

Other Software
-Illustrator - 30 Day Trail - For creating Vector based images, click here for info on vector.
-Cinema 4D - For creating C4D which are useful for effects and sig fillers. Difficult to use.

DeviantART - Its seriously the best resource site there is.

Photoshop
Game Renders
GFXFreaks

PS3Forum Members Tutorials
.:Xelis:.
Ichigo Sig Tutorial

.:Tribunal:.
BioShock Tutorial

.:psypher:.
Pen Tutorial
Sci-Fi GUI Tutorial

GIMP
GIMP Talk Forum Tutorials

Game Renders
PlanetRenders - Requires registration

Photoshop
DeviantART
PSBrushes
Brusheezy

GIMP
DeviantART

DaFont
1001FreeFonts
AbstractFonts

Brushes install guide
To install brushes all you need to do is drag and drop the .abr to the brushes folder, you can find them (by default)
Windows: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop (7, CS, CS2, CS3)\Presets\Brushes
Macs: Open up photoshop, and click on the brush icon.
Click the drop down arrow to bring up the "choose brush" drop down window.
Click on the arrow pointing to the right next to the brush size box, to bring up another list.
Choose "load brush" from that list.
The "load file" window will come up.
Choose the brush you wish to load and it will be added to your brush list.

Font Install Guide
Windows: Drag & drop the font file (TrueType or Font File) to Control Panel\Fonts
Macs: After downloading a font, double click on the font file.
This should open up a window showing the alphabet in lower and upper case in that font, with install font and cancel options down the bottom.
Click install font and this will open fontbook, and your font will be added to the list, ready to use in any application.

Featured Tutorial
Thanks Tribunal

.:Sig from this tutorial:.

Featured Brush (Photoshop)

Download Here

Featured Forum Sig
Psypher - Because its teh sex

Special Thanks
Tribunal
Psypher
SteelSamurai

hateradio

Apprentice
Mar 3, 2008
ffnext.com
interesting tutorial you made :] and you could also have suggested that people can make their own silhouettes by simply using the pen tool and tracing images, instead of by searching for brushes, but i like the outcome :). I used to have some tutorials from years ago when i was still new to PS so i don't think that it would benefit anyone xD but maybe i'll make some thing for here ... btw renders are teh suck >>; imo

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
I didn't make that tutorial, I posted the original thread so I dont get blamed for ripping, hopefully.

hateradio

Apprentice
Mar 3, 2008
ffnext.com
damn, i thought you did, i didn't click on the link cus i thought that was your source of reference, like maybe you saw someone else do it, but you went your own way and did something else with it x'd my bad

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
[QUOTE="SteelSamurai, post: 0]Very nice stuff there Xelis, and good work for having the incentive to start up a thread like this[/quote]
Thanks, I just hope more people appreciate this and even the better of the sig makers input too giving links to good resources and hints & tips.

Jul 24, 2007
Just thought I'd say thanks for this thread Xelis, just started playing around with PS last night and stuff like this will really help.

+rep 2 ya buddy

Rob

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
Thanks for the rep, Ive just had a quick thought, I better create a how to on installing brushes and fonts.

mctc83

Apprentice
Oct 23, 2007
Hey, Nice 1 for this, just yesterday i was looking for some info on making sigs so this will help me out, cheers

Tribunal

Forum Sage
Dec 10, 2005
I challenged Xelis to a battle that excluding text and border, and adjustment layers, there couldn't be anymore than 10 layers.

So anyways, I made a signature that I'm kind of fond of and I made it into a tutorial. It's pretty decent and should be a good start of some less experienced sig makers.

Outcome (also the one I'm going to battle Xelis with if he's for to it)

Another Outcome

And the Tutorial (I had a good laugh making it because it's so short and n00bish lol):
[reveal]
[/reveal]

SteelSamurai

Superior Member
Dec 18, 2007
Xelis, for Macs:

Installing brushes:

Open up photoshop, and click on the brush icon.
Click on the arrow pointing to the right next to the brush size box, to bring up another list.

Installing Fonts:

After downloading a font, double click on the font file.
This should open up a window showing the alphabet in lower and upper case in that font, with install font and cancel options down the bottom.
Click install font and this will open fontbook, and your font will be added to the list, ready to use in any application.

Hope this helps

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
Thanks for creating a tut Trib, I shall put it as our first proper featured tutorial :smile:

[QUOTE="SteelSamurai, post: 0]Xelis, for Macs:

Installing brushes:

Open up photoshop, and click on the brush icon.

Installing Fonts:

After downloading a font, double click on the font file.

Hope this helps[/quote]
Thanks a bunch for this, this helps so much, +rep.

Patriot-

Apprentice
Mar 4, 2008
Anyone got any hints for C4DS? O_O I use GIMP and i dunno how to use them on my Signatures...? +Rep for help

(Noob question .Inc)

hateradio

Apprentice
Mar 3, 2008
ffnext.com
someone already linked this one this thread ( http://gimpshop.com/ ), but i posted it as well on another, quoting what they say on their site "Due to the changes to the interface, many Photoshop tutorials can be followed in GIMPshop unchanged, and most others can be adapted for GIMPshop users with minimal effort." So anyone can try for themselves and see, I myself am not a fan of GIMP, so i never tried this

Patriot-

Apprentice
Mar 4, 2008
Guys, Any ideas how you use C4DS in GIMP? o.o Ive asked on GT and they didn't really help... Ive looked everywhere. Any hints?

Btw, Seen my Sig? It's small and blurry. Any way to fix that?

Cheers,
Patriot
(The N00b of Signature Making)

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
Seeing as theres a large number of GIMP users here Im gonna download and see what the crack is with it, then I may be able to help further.

Edit: Tried GIMP for about 2 mins and the 3 seperate windows just pissed me off. Sorry hopefully there is an experienced GIMP user that can help the rest out and help me by supplying links for GIMP tutorials etc.

Sep 1, 2006
So-Cal
Just found a bug with CS2... If you have Trillian Open(the IM program) you cant CTRL+SHIFT+I (selection inverse) in Photoshop.

just close Trillian to get it working properly again.

(i know weird... but it was pissing me off that i couldnt CTRL+SHIFT+I, i i didnt know why.... it amazing how you dont realize you use a certain hotkey so often untill you cant use it at all XD)

anyways if people were having that random problem... now you know why XD

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
Some how on my old computer Ctrl+Alt+Z was duplicate which happened randomly one day and it was a problem with windows even though I reformatted installed/reinstalled photoshop nothing corrected it, till I got my new computer, wierd.

Soma, you sure its just a hotkey in Trillian thats stopping it, just find and disable that and it could be sorted.

Sep 1, 2006
So-Cal
[QUOTE="Xelis, post: 0]Some how on my old computer Ctrl+Alt+Z was duplicate which happened randomly one day and it was a problem with windows even though I reformatted installed/reinstalled photoshop nothing corrected it, till I got my new computer, wierd.

Soma, you sure its just a hotkey in Trillian thats stopping it, just find and disable that and it could be sorted.[/quote]

the hotkey is in C:\Program Files\Trillian\users\default\Events.xml

i just havent tried removing it yet XD