Players Skipping International Matches?

Jun 15, 2008
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11833_5753919,00.html

With Ibrahimovic admitting he cant be bothered with Swedish friendlies as theres nothing to play for really and wanting to fully concentrate on Barca i was just wondering...do you think its ok for a player to skip country duty to focus on there club?

Personally im not bothered and would rather see a player like Zlatan play at 100% peak condition and motivated than see him travel to distant countries and put in dejected performances then come back worse than he went. Many people say its a privilege to be chosen to play for your country and you should honour it but ultimately its down to the player and if there are more important matters like eg. La Liga/CWC/CL/Copa Del Rey for Ibra in his debut year then he should choose club over country.

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
I think skipping mid-season friendlies should be allowed especially if they aren't near non-friendly matches seems pointess to have 2 random friendlies mid-season. Any fan on the planet would be pissed off if the star player of their team got injured in a friendly. It completely ruins the clubs' season. It also gives the 'lesser' players a chance to see International games.

I know I always cringe when I find out Torres or Gerrard is playing in a friendly.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Xelis, post: 0]I think skipping mid-season friendlies should be allowed especially if they aren't near non-friendly matches seems pointess to have 2 random friendlies mid-season. Any fan on the planet would be pissed off if the star player of their team got injured in a friendly. It completely ruins the clubs' season. It also gives the 'lesser' players a chance to see International games.

I know I always cringe when I find out Torres or Gerrard is playing in a friendly.[/quote]
Sounds logical and I agree.

Country duty all right but I'd be mad if a star player got injured in a unimportant friendly match.

santinomarella

Master Poster
Nov 16, 2008
It is wrong, its a honour and a privilege to be selected to play for your nation!

It also annoys me when players miss England friendlies with an "injury" and then 3 or 4 days later they start for their club team. It happens so many times!

Jun 5, 2009
with the amount of money being thrown around in club football these days i can see why player seem to have more of a dedication to their clubs than countries.

squirrelbo1

young rich and tasteless
Jul 27, 2008
London
[QUOTE="santinomarella, post: 0]It is wrong, its a honour and a privilege to be selected to play for your nation!

It also annoys me when players miss England friendlies with an "injury" and then 3 or 4 days later they start for their club team. It happens so many times![/quote]

yes this really anoys me *cough* Gerard *cough* you should play for your country, if they want you to play you should ****ing play. mindu due its not as bad as retiring from international football becuase you are not getting put in the first XI every game *cough* Jamie carragher *cough*. i can understand if a player doesnt want to play, but it should be up to the managers discretion whether or not he wants them to play, and not going by feigning and injury is wrong. in my eyes if they cant be asked to play every game they are wanted to play in, they shouldn't get picked for the game after. whoever its against.