[Playstation 3] Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007

Release date: April 7, 2009
Price: $9.99 Used​

Ohhhhh GameInformer.........How much were you paid to give this game such a high rating? You will see that good ol Lethal was paid nothing for this review. This game blew me away back in 2004 when I first played as Riddick on my PC. The graphics were top notch and the story was better than the movie. Does the remake and sequel live up to the 2004 hit? How much money you got?

Graphics - 6.75/10

I am sorry but I remember this game looking much smoother and crisp back in the day. Starbreeze claims that this game got an entire face lift but I am not seeing it. Unless of course my PS3 is broken and I am not getting the new graphics that should be in the game. The textures and lighting look terrible. The screen is always blurry and the textures look old and out dated. The fog is really bad as well. Many parts of the game you are in a dark hall or tunnel and you have fog or steam all around you. Well instead of slowly seeing an enemy walking in the fog they just appear right in front you! It's like they appeared out of thin air.
(This goes for both Butcher Bay and Dark Athena)

Sound - 7.5/10

The voice acting in both games are pretty good. Riddick of course shows no emotion when he talks but I guess thats why he is so bad azz! The explosions and bullets sound decent and the music is nothing to crazy over. I suppose it does set the mood pretty well though.

Gameplay - 7/10

These games give you many oportunities to use stealth which is a lot of fun. I believe there is a trophy for getting through certain areas without being noticed. The problem is that on hard its SO HARD!!!! 1 or 2 shots will kill you and if you shoot the enemy its like they didn't feel it. They just keep on truckin. This will really frustrate you while playing because the only way to get a one shot kill is by placing a PERFECT head shot. Sometimes they do not die or even act as if they were shot. BOOM your dead though.......
The controls are not bad but could be improved upon. Something about the aiming and shooting seems to be a bit off. I just can not get the precision I get when playing games like Bioshock or Call of Duty. There is also a lack of weapons in the games.

Multiplayer - N/A

I tried a few online games and I will say that I did not enjoy it. This mode feels like it was rushed and tossed on here for some replay value. Because I only played 2 games online I will not rate this feature.

Overall - 7/10

Assault on Dark Athena falls short compared to Butcher Bay. The stealth and combat just does not feel like is was not well implemented. The stories in both games are pretty good. Butcher Bay especially! Fans of Riddick will probably enjoy these games reguardless of this review. Is the game fun? Yes. Will you play this game more than once? No. Is it worth the $60 price tag? 2 games in 1.....Yes. With all of that said I am awarding this game, Lethal's "Blockbuster" Stamp of Approval!

The game can now be bought for a mere $10 at stores like Gamestop and Ebay. Not a bad game at the price! :)

Pros:
  • 2 full games on one disc.
  • Good stories
  • Enjoyable trophies

Cons:
  • Graphics seem out of date
  • Assault on Dark Athena feels repetive and lacks originality.
  • Multiplayer feels like it was rushed in the game
  • Poor or lack of animations
  • AI is really dumb
  • AI tends to not be affected by bullets

Last edited:

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
The graphics look better on the 360 version. I rented both versions. The PS3 version has a blurry look about it that really bothered me and the lighting looked better on 360 as well as being much more crisp so I bought the 360 version instead. Pretty fun game though IMO.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="radgamer420, post: 0]The graphics look better on the 360 version. I rented both versions. The PS3 version has a blurry look about it that really bothered me and the lighting looked better on 360 me so I bought the 360 version instead. Pretty fun game though IMO.[/quote]

Well after playing Killzone 2 or World at War, this game looks like monkey crap. The game is not terrible. Its an average game with an average score.

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
Cheers for the review Lethal. When you started off, I was thinking it was going to be a woeful review :lol: 7/10 isn't too bad though, quite acceptable.

Probably won't play the Hard difficulty by the sounds of things, but still considering this one 8)

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Lethal_NFS, post: 0]Well after playing Killzone 2 or World at War, this game looks like monkey crap. The game is not terrible. Its an average game with an average score.[/quote]

Well it looks pretty good on 360 but I agree that the PS3 got a bad port on this one. And I'm not really sure why youre dragging Killzone 2 into the topic but doing so makes you seem a bit defensive. Anyway that was a good review. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

gruddy

Elite Sage
Aug 29, 2007
Hated the demo.

No buy for me. Good review but I decided not to buy it before I read this. It's an average game at best and not worth my money.

TTPS3

Dedicated Member
Feb 3, 2009
thanks for the review ... i was thinking about this game ... but i guess there are more important releases to play ahead of this since its a bad port ... + rep

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="radgamer420, post: 0]Well it looks pretty good on 360 but I agree that the PS3 got a bad port on this one. And I'm not really sure why youre dragging Killzone 2 into the topic but doing so makes you seem a bit defensive. Anyway that was a good review. Thanks for taking the time to write it.[/quote]

Defensive? I mentioned Bioshock and COD too. Its just a graphics comparison and seeing how Starbreeze hyped up the graphics on this game I feel it failed to compete graphically against other FPS like Killzone 2, COD, and Bioshock.

Ya I started off making the game sound terrible but thats only because I just finished reading the 9.5 score that GameInformer gave this game. I had to bring the game back down to reality lol.

And thanks for the +rep guys! :)

E

ERC1980

good review lethal!
I was interested in this game but now I'll pass.

Anyways bro who's the busty chick in your avatar?

Pantyhelmet

Superior Member
Jan 16, 2007
[QUOTE="Lethal_NFS, post: 0]

Release date: April 7, 2009
Price: $59.99​

Ohhhhh GameInformer.........How much were you paid to give this game such a high rating? You will see that good ol Lethal was paid nothing for this review. [/quote]

Not just this game, Wheel Man too got a higher than anywhere else in the planet review..they even dedicated the top ten to Vin deisel..i honestly think vin deisel came down to the game informer offices and gave every one a handjob. with marmalade.
Butcher bay is cool, holds up even today, but dark athena is poor in almost every way.

gruddy

Elite Sage
Aug 29, 2007
[QUOTE="Pantyhelmet, post: 0]Not just this game, Wheel Man too got a higher than anywhere else in the planet review..they even dedicated the top ten to Vin deisel..i honestly think vin deisel came down to the game informer offices and gave every one a handjob. with marmalade.
Butcher bay is cool, holds up even today, but dark athena is poor in almost every way.[/quote]
:lol:

The Wheelman and this game are both mediocre but I like the Wheelman more. Both are unpolished but the Wheelman is a tad bit better.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
The bad demo is really putting people off.This is definitely worth it, if you haven't played the classic Butcher Bay. There still hasn't been a game like it.

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 0]The bad demo is really putting people off.This is definitely worth it, if you haven't played the classic Butcher Bay. There still hasn't been a game like it.[/quote]

I've really gotta get my hands on the demo.. :eek:

What was terrible about the demo?

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
[QUOTE="radgamer420, post: 0]Well it looks pretty good on 360 but I agree that the PS3 got a bad port on this one. And I'm not really sure why youre dragging Killzone 2 into the topic but doing so makes you seem a bit defensive. Anyway that was a good review. Thanks for taking the time to write it.[/quote]

I understand him perfectly.
This game being a FPS its natural that Lethal comprares it to other top of the line shooters, and the truth is that after playing KZ2 its hard to feel amazed by other fps.

On topic, nice review, pretty much what i thought about it.
I ve been paying some attention to this game and i dont believe there is a big difference between the two versions.

There is a good comparison from lens of truth (whom actually make good unbiased comparisons) and the ps3 version actually comes out on top:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=5748

Regardless the game looks outdated imo, might give it a rent when i have nothing else to play, it´s an average Fps but it looks fun either way and i might rack up some trophies :eek:

Mar 9, 2007
IDK. To me, graphics hold up pretty well for a 5-year-old game, and the gameplay, judging from the demo, was pretty damn good, definitely better than average for me.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
the graphics remind me of FEAR 1, but for riddick, they're slightly better.
the voice acting is good except vin diesel..he's just a poster boy for his one-liners in this game..and seriously, every line in this game is almost all a one-liner coming from riddick. I get it, you're dark and ****, don't like to talk alot, but when you do, you sound like a cheese ball, seriously. "the dark is my ally" ooooo you're badass now riddick. He puts out good action movies, but the macho ******** attitude is so 90's, vin. The online mode was just ******ed, wtf was that? I got into a butcher bay riot game, and it was all over the place. It was like unreal tournament on crack meets speed racer. And not too many people played it online, was hard to find any game to be honest. The gameplay however is fun. I really liked the stealth aspect of it, that was pretty badass on vinny D's part. I felt like a metal gear character, the sneak kills were nice. And is it just me, but Revas is ****ing sexy. I like her character, when she's pissed off, it's so sexy, what a babe lmao

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Nunalho, post: 0]I understand him perfectly.
This game being a FPS its natural that Lethal comprares it to other top of the line shooters, and the truth is that after playing KZ2 its hard to feel amazed by other fps.

On topic, nice review, pretty much what i thought about it.
I ve been paying some attention to this game and i dont believe there is a big difference between the two versions.

There is a good comparison from lens of truth (whom actually make good unbiased comparisons) and the ps3 version actually comes out on top:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=5748

Regardless the game looks outdated imo, might give it a rent when i have nothing else to play, it´s an average Fps but it looks fun either way and i might rack up some trophies :eek:[/quote]The thing is, the game isn't only a shooter.At least BB isn't.