[Playstation 3] Ghostbusters

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007

Release date: 6/16/09
Price: $9.99 used​

Ghostbusters 1 and 2 were box office hits in the 80's. The movie's success led to cartoons, action figures, videogames, and more. The 4 actors (Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson) had a special chemistry together that seemed to work perfectly on the screen. Now all 4 ghostbusters are back in this new game which is considered to be as if it was the 3rd movie. The games script was written by both Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd. Will their game be as legendary as their 80's flicks? Read on to find out!

Graphics - 8.75

The character models in the game are top notch. Extremely detailed and represent their movie counterparts to the tee. I am very impressed by the amount of detail in the proton pack that you wear on your back. The pack is your hud and displays everything you need to know. The environment detail is pretty nice as well. Whether you are wandering the firehouse or running through New York city. The amount of detail is impressive.

Sound - 9.25

I do not think I could have asked for better voice acting. All 4 actors do a terrific job reprising their roles and it does not seem like they took a 20 year break. You will recognize all of the music and sound effects in the game because they are straight out of the movies. If I had a gripe about the music it would be about how often they play the theme song. It plays quite a bit.

The sounds of your proton blaster sound pretty cool and everything that beam touches gets destroyed. While playing in surround sound I was able to hear a ghost cruise from the left side of the room to the right. At the same time I can hear some tables and glass breaking behind me. Very nice!

Gameplay - 8

The controls are somewhat pretty easy to get the hang of. Trying to catch a ghost takes some patience but after you upgrade your equipment it becomes easier. You aim your proton blaster by using the aim cursor on your screen. Point and shoot. Just be careful not to cross the beams.

You can take damage from ghosts and if you take enough you will fall down and you will need to be revived by one of the other ghostbusters. Sometimes this gets pretty annoying especially when you are playing on the pro difficulty. It seems like the other guys are always needing to be revived. If you are all laying on the ground its game over.

One gripe I have is how hard it is to tell if you are taking too much damage. It seems that I only know when I take too much damage when I get knocked on my azz. By then its too late.

Another gripe I have are the annoying enemies that are only there to bother you. You do not catch these creatures like ghosts. Instead they just explode and thats it. I would really rather all the enemies were ghosts that I had to catch. I also hate how quickly your proton pack overheats. having to uncharge it becomes a pain when your in the middle of taking a ghost down.

Online - 8.25

Online seems pretty solid. Up to 4 players can play campaign cooperatively and communicate with the headsets. I only tried for a few minutes and had no real lag or anything. I plan on doing co-op after I finish the single player campaign.

Overall - 8.25/10

There are lots of trophies to be had in both single and online modes which help out the replay value. They did a great job making you feel like you feel like you are a part of the team. The interaction with the other ghostbusters is great and at times I forgot I was even playing a game. With the outstanding voice acting and great attention to detail, I have to give this game Lethal's stamp of approval!

Pros:
  • Great voice acting
  • Very good attention to detail
  • Good story
  • Fun multiplayer co-op
Cons
  • Hard to see damage taken
  • Reviving others gets tedious
  • Teamates AI is not the brightest

Last edited:

dmonk

Apprentice
Apr 18, 2008
nice! thanks for the review.
I heard game crazy has an offer for trading in old games and you get a bonus amount towards this one.

Freefall

Apprentice
Dec 20, 2008
I think I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. I was obsessed as a kid. There was few things I liked more than ghostbusters.

richie217

Power Overwhelming
Dec 10, 2008
Nice review Lethal. Will certainly pick this up at some stage. Loved the movied way back when, playing this will probably make me feel like I'm 7 again.

cpitt

Super Elite
Mar 14, 2007
www.youtube.com
I'm going to rent this game just to get over my childhood phobia of the Nintendo Ghostbuster game. For some strange reason it used to make me dizzy and i'd end up throwing up everytime i saw my brother play it.

Pantyhelmet

Superior Member
Jan 16, 2007
its a shame there wasn't an option to use the sixaxis to trap ghost , Folklore got that down to a science..another casualty of multiplat development! >__<

either way i'll at least rent, loved the films.

Sep 28, 2007
Hey Lethal, is it ok if I put my review in your thread later? I don't really want to make a new topic for it, considering you already have one. If so, I will just edit this post and put it in here.

Great review by the way:)

Oct 9, 2008
i hav it...and i'm annoyed by 2 things...
a) i have no idea when the game saves or not because I have my ps3 standing up...how come there is no icon on the screen to tell me if it's saving?
b) the experienced ghostbuster ai is terrible...they get knocked down more often then "rookie"...and it's so damn hard to find injured ghostbusters...

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="FdMstng99, post: 0]Thanks for the review Lethal. ;)

+rep, also love the avy!![/quote]

Thanks a lot brotha! Ya I figured it works well since I am sportin Ghostbusters this month. :)

FdMstng99

Forum Sage
Feb 19, 2008
Maryland
[QUOTE="Lethal_NFS, post: 0]Thanks a lot brotha! Ya I figured it works well since I am sportin Ghostbusters this month. :)[/quote]

It works very well. ;)

Going to pick up Ghostbuster's when I'm finished getting Platinum on inFamous and when I complete Red Faction and Prototype.

Cooke_E_G

Forum Elder
May 12, 2007
So they graphics dont suck like some sites and people would like us to expect. I just beat inFamous so I might go rent it. How many hours does it take to beat?

Calabrese

Superior Member
Apr 12, 2007
I might have to get this. Ghostbusters was my favourite game back in the 80's on the Atari 800XL even if it did take 20 minutes to load off a cassette.