[Playstation 3] Mafia II

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007

Release Date: August 24, 2010
Rated: Mature
Price: $12.99 (Used)​

There are not many really good mobster games out there. The Godfather series, Scarface, Mafia 1. None of which really pulled me in though. Mafia II has something that none of those other games have, and that is a great story. Easily the best part of this game is the fantastic story. Read on to find out how Mafia II comes one ingredient short of a perfect dish.

Story = 9.5/10
As far as mobster games go I have to say that Mafia II has the best story of them all. You are a very young Vito Scaletta and your father decides he wants a better life for his family. So you and your family leave Italy and head for America where you end up in Empire Bay. (New York City) The city is rough and you make friends with a boy named Joey Barbaro. Vito gets in to some trouble and instead of doing time he goes off to fight in the war. Once he comes home he hooks up with his old buddy Joe and starts doing small jobs for some quick cash. His father died and left quite a debt for his family to pay back. Vito finds himself in trouble yet again and this time there is no way out.....

Graphics - 8.75/10
I found Mafia II to be extremely detailed. Cities are filled with life and perfectly resembles the era of 40's and 50's. Characters are all detailed very well but the facial animations seem to be lacking some effect. Sometimes is looks like the character is just moving their mouth and not showing any emotion. I guess I expect all games to have facial animaions like Uncharted. All in all you will not be disappointed with the graphics of this game.

Gameplay = 8/10
The controls of Mafia II are pretty accurate. I feel very comfortable using melee attacks or switching to my gun. It is essential that you use cover at all times. 2 or 3 shots will kill you thankfully the animations and control while taking cover seem to be very fluid. This can usually make or break a game.
Early in this review I mentioned how Mafia II comes up one ingredient short and that ingredient is the replay value. There are no side missions. This is something that really gutted me because this game has such great potential and with a little more time 2K could have created something that could have really competed with GTA and The Godfather. Instead you get very large cities which act as a backdrop to a straight forward story. Yes you can walk or drive anywhere you want but you will find that there is no benefit for doing so.
There are 50 Playboy magazines hidden throughout the game but a lot of them are just laying in plain sight.
You are collecting money doing random jobs such as selling cigarettes or driving clear across the other side of the city steal some papers for a measely $50. When you do get a large amount of money you will find yourself spending a lot of it repairing your car. There is not much to do with your money that you earn. Buy some new clothes, weapons, or upgrade your car.

Sound - 9.5/10
Fantastic voice acting and an even better soundtrack. Early on when you come home from the war you will be greeted by people saying things like, "Welcome home Vito" or "Hey Vito, how you doin?". The music is great and you get about 4 or 5 different radio stations to listen to. The music also changes depending on which year it is in the game. When you get to the 1950's you will hear more songs from Chuck Berry, Elvis Pressley, Frankie Lymon, and more.

[video=youtube;3Y4gWiEmzFY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y4gWiEmzFY[/video]

Overall = 8.25/10
Know this right now, this is not a sandbox game and you will be very disappointed if you purchase this game thinking that it is. This is another straight forward game but it is a good one none the less. Great graphics, music, and story makes Mafia II a game worth playing. The Playstation 3 also gets exclusive content which is called "The Betrayal of Jimmy" and it is free when you purchase the game brand new.

Pros:
Large detailed cities
Great voice acting and music
Very good story
Extra PS3 content

Cons:
No side missions
No multiplayer

Lethal suggests: Fans of mafia or mobster games will get a kick out of this one. I personally do not feel it is worth the $60 price tag since there is no replay value. The game will roughly take you 8-11hrs to complete. I do feel that this is still a game that should not be missed. Rent this game or wait for it to drop in price.

Edit - A few years have passed and for the $12.99 price, this one should not be missed!

Last edited:

Wiggy_

ComplyOrDie!
Jan 8, 2010
Middlesbrough
Hopefully il pick this game up pretty soon. I am going to wait for the price to drop though because i agree with you and going of what ive read and seen i don't believe its worth that price tag.Top review +rep :)

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
Another great Lethal review. I agree with you. I'm loving this game. And the graphics along with the details of the city and how alive it feels is great. And once I'm done with the main game I have the exclusive DLC to look forward to. I love mafia gangster movies so this game is right up my alley. And I dont regret buying it brand new at all. Always enjoy your reviews Lethal. +rep

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Glad you guys enjoyed it. My next reviews will be Halo: Reach, PS Move, and Dead Rising 2. :)

Hitman_T92

TWISTED METAL
Sep 1, 2008
Hangar 18
thats nice
but the thing is
i love mob games and movies
but on the other hand i dont want to pay 60$ for a game that ill finish in two or three days even if its awesome
specially with no replay value as most reviewers (including u) say

wat about the dlc ?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Hitman_T92, post: 5161347]thats nice
but the thing is
i love mob games and movies
but on the other hand i dont want to pay 60$ for a game that ill finish in two or three days even if its awesome
specially with no replay value as most reviewers (including u) say

wat about the dlc ?[/QUOTE]

I have not tried the DLC yet. The DLC does include extra trophies which is nice. I am waiting to finish the game before I hit up the betrayal of Jimmy.

Jun 3, 2007
Northern VA
www.youtube.com
I heard once you finish the game .. you can't freeroam. Plus there aren't any side quests.

I'm glad I rented it... this game has way to many screen tears on PS3 (I'm assuming ps3 version only). Plus the controls are very clunky... characters seem kind of dull.

gn09

Elite Member
Jan 14, 2009
good review. i agree, its worth a rent. i did expect abit more from it though, the city could be more livelier too

Devil

Master Poster
May 16, 2009
England
Very good review. I am going to get Mafia II, I was going to get it even before I read this interview, but it's good to see the game won't be a disappointment.

J

jakster123x

I find it slightly strange to have an open world environment with no side-missions. Hmm. I reasonably enjoyed the demo but i think i'm going to save my money for Move, instead.

ufo8mycat

Superior Member
Jan 26, 2009
[QUOTE="Kingpin326, post: 5161361]I heard once you finish the game .. you can't freeroam. [/QUOTE]

Just free roam in between missions :)

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
Epire City... the same as Infamous?

Also, decent review, this actually sounds like something I would play, since it doesnt have multiplayer or side missions, I can just concentrate and be engrossed in the main story.

I might pick it up during some gaming downtime next year

Mar 20, 2010
Terrible really. Has to be the worst graphics on ps3 and don't blame my 40" Bravia 3 either. I'll agree the game is ok on it's own merits but being such a fan of the first it has to go down as a poor sequel. Quandry? Avoid on ps3. It can do allot better and teach the devs to try harder on a conversion next time instead of softening us up with free dlc. I'd get this on pc when it's cheaper. Trust me m2 is disgusting on ps3. If you do think it looks good, pc would knock you out

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Spaceman, post: 5164613]Terrible really. Has to be the worst graphics on ps3 and don't blame my 40" Bravia 3 either. I'll agree the game is ok on it's own merits but being such a fan of the first it has to go down as a poor sequel. Quandry? Avoid on ps3. It can do allot better and teach the devs to try harder on a conversion next time instead of softening us up with free dlc. I'd get this on pc when it's cheaper. Trust me m2 is disgusting on ps3. If you do think it looks good, pc would knock you out[/QUOTE]

I blame your tv. Game looks pretty good on my 56" Bravia.

N

nulleduser

Great review. I was planning on picking this up now but by the sound of it, I'll wait for a price drop!

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
I'm supprised at how many of you arent willing to get it now but rather in a few months. This game is truely amazing. Granted i've been playing the PC version but the story alone has me loving every minute so far. I'm on Chapter 12 i don't think i have that much more to do but i think i'll be playing through again.

Though i disagree with your final grading of thinking it's only worth a rent it was a brilliantly written review, Lethal.

Mar 20, 2010
[QUOTE="Lethal_NFS, post: 5164620]I blame your tv. Game looks pretty good on my 56" Bravia.[/QUOTE]
Those low resolution texture, sub hd, heavily aliased screens must look doubly bad at that screen size not to mention the in your face pop in reduced detail. Try the pc demo at a proper hd resolution and you may realize how bad a conversion this is. Now i know how xbox users felt with FF13

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Spaceman, post: 5164847]Those low resolution texture, sub hd, heavily aliased screens must look doubly bad at that screen size not to mention the in your face pop in reduced detail. Try the pc demo at a proper hd resolution and you may realize how bad a conversion this is. Now i know how xbox users felt with FF13[/QUOTE]

Has a point. When i played the 360 demo to see what all of the fuss was about i was quite shocked in how much of a jump in difference there was.

This game isn't about pixel counting though

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Spaceman, post: 5164847]Those low resolution texture, sub hd, heavily aliased screens must look doubly bad at that screen size not to mention the in your face pop in reduced detail. Try the pc demo at a proper hd resolution and you may realize how bad a conversion this is. Now i know how xbox users felt with FF13[/QUOTE]

Does not change the fact that the game still looks good. Might look better on the 360 and PC but the gameplay remains the same. Sure the AA is not the best but the game still looks great. Better than GTA IV.

[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 5164826]I'
Though i disagree with your final grading of thinking it's only worth a rent it was a brilliantly written review, Lethal.[/QUOTE]

I am glad with my purchase but I feel with all the other games coming out people should know that is not a game that they will play over and over again. $60 is a lot of money and Mafia 2 does not offer 40+ hrs of gaming like GTA or Red Dead Redemption. Those games are worth a purchase since you be playing it for days on end. I do hope there is going to be lots of future DLC for this game though. I really love this story and the characters.

Thanks again for enjoying my review too. :)

Last edited:

ufo8mycat

Superior Member
Jan 26, 2009
[QUOTE="Lethal_NFS, post: 5164912]Does not change the fact that the game still looks good. Might look better on the 360 and PC but the gameplay remains the same. Sure the AA is not the best but the game still looks great. Better than GTA IV.
[/QUOTE]

Yup, it's definitely the same gameplay obviously. After playing all 3 versions, I enjoyed them all equally, well 360 version the most actually, but thats because I've put more hours into that. Really shows that the extra eye candy (PC version) doesn't make a difference in fun factor.

Yeah the PC version looks better, but not A LOT better, considering the hardware differences between a high end PC and the 360, the difference really should of been bigger. Of course I feel the difference wasn't 'HUGE', while others would say it is, but then again, I don't nitpick over little things, as my focus is mainly on the game. I am actually still shocked at the number of threads on the internet, in regards to PS3s lack of grass and how that effects people. :lol: I actually didn't notice it on the PS3 version, until I read another thread on 'No grass for PS3'

I am tempted to rent the PS3 version to try out some of that exclusive DLC. I am actually on my 2nd play through atm. This game rocks. Truely immersed into the 40s & 50s.

Of course the game is not perfect. No game is, but I think a lot of people went into the game expecting it to be a typical open word game. People keep saying it's too short, but it takes around 10-12hours to complete, which is the norm for most games these days.

The biggest moment for me in the game was the mission, which ties into the ending of Mafia 1. Obviously I won't spoil it for those who haven't reached that point, but WOW!

Last edited: