Playstation 3 online, a huge dissapointment

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
Please don't flame me on this, i'm just voicing out the little bugs that are out on the online network, and yes you are all right, its just the beginning there will also be problems. So just please take this with a grain of salt, its whats going on right now. These are the things i'd like ea and sony as a whole to fix. Thats all...

I've had my ps3 for a while now and I have to say I'm really dissapointed in their online setup, dont get me wrong, once you get in the gameplay is like no other, but getting into it is like building a playstation 3 yourself.

I'm not sure if this applies to any of you but i'm just going to go through the online set-ups for a few of a my games.
**Just for clarification, some fault goes to game developers too, i'm just basing it as a whole**

Need For Speed Carbon -
WTF was EA thinking. It's hard enough to find the online section apart from the offline section.

I mean it gets easy after u know what to do, but for a person who just gets the game, it gets very confusing in the beginning, and it gets worse after a while

Just for reference -
Quick Race - Offline
Custom Match - Online
Quick Match - Online

Now, for playing random people or whatnot, ea does a good job of this making it simple enough.

But, for playing your buddies on your buddy list, it's a whole new story.
First of all, to even find your buddy list on Need For Speed Carbon, you'll actually have to press one of the hidden button options not listed, (X for instance lets you move forward and pick your options and so forth), At the bottom of the screen of almost every game it tells you what each button does, however in NFSC it does not tell you how to load your buddy list, which in this case is the new Trigger L2 button. and then from there it gets a little easier, but for ea having us to guess what button does what, is a huge dissapointment.

Once you get to the "gamer lounge" you get basically 10 seconds, to pray that other people come join and race with you, now for the touted 8 player online racing, a 10 second window, just isn't enough and considering that the NFSC commutity is defanitely not the size of resistance (which also doesn't spot nearly as many servers as people would like).

Also, EA please add drifting to your online choices, i'm sure that would be really appreciated not by just me, but also by other players as well.

Resistance - Defanitely the best form of online play for the playstation 3
Kudos for getting 40 player lag free gaming, what an accomplishment especially for a brand new game coming into the next-gen gaming wars. Whoever you guys hired for your network definitely should get a raise.

Oh also, just an add-on, great way to update the game, proving that insomniac is defanitely trying to improve the overall online environment.

Now anyways, for the online portion of gaming.

Resistance does a good job of making it very simple for new players to find what they're looking for in terms of game type, map, number of players, and so forth.

My only complaint, might have to be is inviting your buddies in. Now it might only apply to my case since my friend has a japanese ps3 (but lives just down the street from me in Ann Arbor, Michigan).
In our case, first of all when you press the select button, it is supposed to display your buddies, but from what i've seen with my pretty small buddy list, none of them showed up. Only later to find out that he's getting japanese servers even though his region is all set-up for the United States.

Also for ranked games, i'm just curious, why is everything set up where you have no options of any kind except for team based or free for all based???

Madden Nfl 2007 -
Slow, slow, slow, slow, slow
Going through the options menu is seriously like trying to play half-life 2 on a 10 year old computer, it might've been just a bad day, but nothing would load efficiently, i couldn't even scroll down a list without encountering lag.

Finding your friends also remains a challange, just like the previous 2 games I have, they lack simplicity and ease of use.

The actual gameplay was defanitely smooth, and got no problems.

Just to sum it all up, for the 3 games.
Getting the actual thing to work, utterly ridiculous, you might as well just have your friend to come over and play with you.

Now the gameplay, was very efficient, didnt get many dropped rates at all.

Just so no one gets the wrong impression, I defanitely love the playstation 3, i've aboslutely hated 360 with a passion, but for now xbox live beats ps online without a question and i'm sure most of you can agree with me here. (Just for reference, I do not have an xbox and never will get one)

I find it ironic that the only game that does support the highly touted xfire, is sony's own Untold legends, now I don't have the game so i dont know how well it works, so for anyone who does have it, please share your thoughts.

Alright, well as unorganized this may be, I hope all of you can understand my view on things. Though emotional and whatnot, I strongly believe the playstation network as a whole needs a lot of work, but primarily EA has some stuff to figure out, why can't they make it simpler for themselves and sony, but consolidating everything on the psn. With the extra time they gave themselves, you'd think psn and Ea games would do a better job of getting this done right.
**EDIT**
Apparently a lot of people are thinking im only bashing on sony, I guess you could take it from that view point.
But like lots of you have pointed out, it is indeed ea's fault too, I forgot to mention that too.

BUT, like most of you had said.
March of 07, hopefully will be the answer we're looking for.

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 0]take heart

a major March upgrade is in the works :D
the gap will close[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right, I read the list of new features.
It looks good, but March is a long ways away, but since kutaragi is more a of a software guy, maybe we can either expect an earlier update or more feature filled update.

wh0

Super Elite
Dec 23, 2005
Sounds to me like you have a problem with the individual companies' online decisions and not the functionality of PS3 online.

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
[QUOTE="wh0, post: 0]Sounds to me like you have a problem with the individual companies' online decisions and not the functionality of PS3 online.[/QUOTE]

Well I mean, wasn't the goal to compete with xbox live? You shouldn't have 50 different companies making online for their games, try to connect everything into one, like xbox live did.

DayWalker

The Heisman
May 9, 2006
[QUOTE="fooster, post: 0]I hope you're right, I read the list of new features.
It looks good, but March is a long ways away, but since kutaragi is more a of a software guy, maybe we can either expect an earlier update or more feature filled update.[/QUOTE]

you'll make it ;)

Besides the PS3 hasn't even found its legs yet, personally Resistance, maybe Madden, and Grad school will get March here before I know it.

wh0

Super Elite
Dec 23, 2005
[QUOTE="fooster, post: 0]Well I mean, wasn't the goal to compete with xbox live? You shouldn't have 50 different companies making online for their games, try to connect everything into one, like xbox live did.[/QUOTE]

Those options would still be the same. All Live does is centralize whats already there not take over and program the online part of games from the ground up.

DayWalker

The Heisman
May 9, 2006
PSN is definitely lacking... but I expect it to be much improved before the next holiday season.

And hell, it's free :D
And with the money I won't spend I am going to buy some patience :lol:

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
[QUOTE="wh0, post: 0]Those options would still be the same. All Live does is centralize whats already there not take over and program the online part of games from the ground up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is true.
But can we agree that psn defnitely has a lot of work to do in terms of actually making it better than xbox live?

Roth

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
www.psbeyond.com
Sony is new to the massive Online network business (Xbox Live has been around for a very long time in comparison, and has had time to mature and learn from its mistakes). I have faith that Sony will continue to update it until it is up to Xbox Live standards.

Other than some organization issues, the network works well though. Resistance is fun as hell and easy as hell to play online.

wh0

Super Elite
Dec 23, 2005
[QUOTE="fooster, post: 960906]Yeah that is true.
But can we agree that psn defnitely has a lot of work to do in terms of actually making it better than xbox live?[/QUOTE]

No doubt theres a lot of work to be done. I'm just saying the issues you have with those games are on the devs and doesn't have anything to do with PSN.

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
[QUOTE="wh0, post: 0]No doubt theres a lot of work to be done. I'm just saying the issues you have with those games are on the devs and doesn't have anything to do with PSN.[/QUOTE]

oh, well I mean, there must be some link since it involves buddies from PSN, there has to be a little bit of collaboration there.

X2

Elite Guru
Oct 13, 2004
Sony will get their act together, but a lot of the features that you see on Live is built into the hardware of the 360 itself, to make it much more easier on devs when they are implementing Live into their games.

Leviticus

Dedicated Member
Jan 15, 2006
[QUOTE="fooster, post: 0]I've had my ps3 for a while now and I have to say I'm really dissapointed in their online setup, dont get me wrong, once you get in the gameplay is like no other, but getting into it is like building a playstation 3 yourself.

I'm not sure if this applies to any of you but i'm just going to go through the online set-ups for a few of a my games.

Need For Speed Carbon -
WTF was EA thinking. It's hard enough to find the online section apart from the offline section.

I mean it gets easy after u know what to do, but for a person who just gets the game, it gets very confusing in the beginning, and it gets worse after a while

Just for reference -
Quick Race - Offline
Custom Match - Online
Quick Match - Online

Now, for playing random people or whatnot, ea does a good job of this making it simple enough.

But, for playing your buddies on your buddy list, it's a whole new story.
First of all, to even find your buddy list on Need For Speed Carbon, you'll actually have to press one of the hidden button options not listed, (X for instance lets you move forward and pick your options and so forth), At the bottom of the screen of almost every game it tells you what each button does, however in NFSC it does not tell you how to load your buddy list, which in this case is the new Trigger L2 button. and then from there it gets a little easier, but for ea having us to guess what button does what, is a huge dissapointment.

Once you get to the "gamer lounge" you get basically 10 seconds, to pray that other people come join and race with you, now for the touted 8 player online racing, a 10 second window, just isn't enough and considering that the NFSC commutity is defanitely not the size of resistance (which also doesn't spot nearly as many servers as people would like).

Also, EA please add drifting to your online choices, i'm sure that would be really appreciated not by just me, but also by other players as well.

Resistance -
Kudos for getting 40 player lag free gaming, what an accomplishment especially for a brand new game coming into the next-gen gaming wars. Whoever you guys hired for your network definitely should get a raise.

Now anyways, for the online portion of gaming.

Resistance does a good job of making it very simple for new players to find what they're looking for in terms of game type, map, number of players, and so forth.

Now where it comes short, is inviting your buddies in. Now it might only apply to my case since my friend has a japanese ps3 (but lives just down the street from me in Ann Arbor, Michigan).
In our case, first of all when you press the select button, it is supposed to display your buddies, but from what i've seen with my pretty small buddy list, none of them showed up. Only later to find out that he's getting japanese servers even though his region is all set-up for the United States.

Also for ranked games, i'm just curious, why is everything set up where you have no options of any kind except for team based or free for all based???

Madden Nfl 2007 -
Slow, slow, slow, slow, slow
Going through the options menu is seriously like trying to play half-life 2 on a 10 year old computer, it might've been just a bad day, but nothing would load efficiently, i couldn't even scroll down a list without encountering lag.

Finding your friends also remains a challange, just like the previous 2 games I have, they lack simplicity and ease of use.

The actual gameplay was defanitely smooth, and got no problems.

Just to sum it all up, for the 3 games.
Getting the actual thing to work, utterly ridiculous, you might as well just have your friend to come over and play with you.

Now the gameplay, was very efficient, didnt get many dropped rates at all.

Just so no one gets the wrong impression, I defanitely love the playstation 3, i've aboslutely hated 360 with a passion, but for now xbox live beats ps online without a question and i'm sure most of you can agree with me here. (Just for reference, I do not have an xbox and never will get one)

I find it ironic that the only game that does support the highly touted xfire, is sony's own Untold legends, now I don't have the game so i dont know how well it works, so for anyone who does have it, please share your thoughts.

Alright, well as unorganized this may be, I hope all of you can understand my view on things. Though emotional and whatnot, I strongly believe Sony, has shot them self in the foot here. With the extra time they gave themselves, youd think ps online would be better.[/quote]

I really wish people like you really took the time to understand what you just said.
the three games you speak of, only one connects to the pnp network server thought sony that is R:FoM.
The other two games are on ea server and not using sony pnp network.

But yet you came here state shyt like this without understanding that ea is using thier own server. I said this because I have two of the games you mention.

So your rant is about the wrong company dude, but like you said your blind by your emotion and jump on sony intead of ea.
Man you should know this, on how much the xbox fans speak of ea choose to use there own server instead live, as they stated thay have the slow connection.

Nov 20, 2006
I agree... I have been quite mad with madden and nhl2k7 online so far.. Madden doesn't even allow you to have a buddy list anymore.. how am I suppose to easily find my friends and such.. u also cannot challenge thru the PSN buddylist, or view it while you are in a game. As for NHL2k7 I dont even see a buddylist feature at all anywhere on the game. It is ridiculous to say wait wait wait.. I just shelled out $600 for this system and I can get better online gameplay on PS2..Not happy so far.

sweetvar26

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2006
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 0]PSN is definitely lacking... but I expect it to be much improved before the next holiday season.

And hell, it's free :D
And with the money I won't spend I am going to buy some patience :lol:[/quote]

hey u Broncos fan ......Williams is shot dead....still cant believe it....he was doing good in the season.....damn...

UltimaEnder

Superior Member
Oct 11, 2006
www.psu.com
Good article OP and I agree with you on many of your points, one thing is for sure....Sony needs to do a lot of catch up to be as successful in the online department as Microsoft is with Xbox Live, no need for a flame war it's just true. + rep for you!

Womble

Master Poster
Dec 30, 2005
Sony wont fail on us dont worry. Look at microsoft, look at how much time they've had to get Live up to the standard that it is today. Ps3 online will come good all in due course. You know as they say ' Rome wasn't built in a day'.

X

Xaor

Sounds like 99% of the fault is with the developer and 99% of the developers faults are faults of EA... No surprises there.

Give Sony time.

MiDNiGHTS

Dedicated Member
Mar 15, 2006
Sounds like you need to stop playing EA games. I can tell you that Madden on 360 was just as laggy so once again go and blame EA. Japanese PS3's play on Japanese servers no matter what the regional settings are but this may change, so your friend should have done more research.

Steroyd

Elite Sage
Jun 17, 2005
[QUOTE="fooster, post: 0]Well I mean, wasn't the goal to compete with xbox live? You shouldn't have 50 different companies making online for their games, try to connect everything into one, like xbox live did.[/QUOTE]

And yet EA games are still crap according to XBL users.

Insomiac didn't get the libraries on time so it's a one off.

And EA servers are EA servers.

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
[QUOTE="Leviticus, post: 0]I really wish people like you really took the time to understand what you just said.
the three games you speak of, only one connects to the pnp network server thought sony that is R:FoM.
The other two games are on ea server and not using sony pnp network.

But yet you came here state shyt like this without understanding that ea is using thier own server. I said this because I have two of the games you mention.

So your rant is about the wrong company dude, but like you said your blind by your emotion and jump on sony intead of ea.
Man you should know this, on how much the xbox fans speak of ea choose to use there own server instead live, as they stated thay have the slow connection.[/QUOTE]

Alright alright, I get your point. I'm guessing my emtoions and such spread too far out on Sony. You are right how this is mostly ea's fault, i was just saying how dissapointed I was in the whole online network as a whole.

It is indeed mostly ea's fault for branching out like this, I can't even read messages being sent from ea games on my xmb.

99% ea's fault for not doing anything to help support psn, 1% for sony for not telling ea that they have to make it easier for psn people to play other psn people.

soldier one

Master Sage
Mar 21, 2005
www.ps3portal.com
Just thought id point this out
but for now
People need to remember 1 it just came out, sony is still trying to get systems into consumers hands. they are still working out kinks, and it will get going soon. 2 Look at how many games are out, theese are still launch games, once people get to know the system and what people like to do then they improve.

Also with your restsance buddies, its the whole japanese ps3 thats screwing you up. I have absolutely no probelm finding who ever i want on that game. Now NFSC i do agree and would like to add more to it.

NFC
Yes its amasing offline, i love it offline but like stated above online is a new question. Another thing is EA gives you "bonus" cars that totaly destroy the game, they give you the fastest car on the game and guess what car everyone chooses? Yip, so instead of who has the better tuned car its who can break last and gas it first. And to top it off ive heard they came out with a paay to cheat thing in previous versions, and if your like me cheaters absolutely suck, and that ruins any game ever made.

As for madden, i have it and its a great offline game but havent gotten a chance to play online yet. A freind said the only problem is people found ways to cheat like jumping the snap or something. And like i just said cheaters need lives.

I also got Marvel ultimate alliance and it has potential, buut no one is online. ITs really organised and such, but since no one was online i didnt bother doing much.

As for now the playstion online has POTENTIAL and all it is is a base of whats to come, its like a little demo. Resistance is the good side and NFSC is the downside, it basicly shows you ok buy army type games and such and not this type. I say give it until the launch in europe in march and from there it will start rolling, because sony can focus.

Grym

Master Poster
Dec 31, 2005
You forgot the point that it's free. Give it some time.

It is a major improvement over PS2 online and can compete nicely with PC. Those are other free services.

Edit: If it works and is free it is an instant win in my opinion. As long as I can play online and talk to some friends.

B

BananaFish

Why are we comparing Free PSN with Live anyway. PSN works plain and simple. I'm sure they'll overhaul it 10 times before the ps3 moves aside for the ps4. As long as I can easily play my games online without noticable lag and can download free demos...I'm happy. PSN does not have to be equal to or better than Live for me to enjoy online gaming on my 'station.

Dec 23, 2005
you do realize that for the first months live was out, it sucked. Just as bad as PN. I don't understand why you won't give sony the same leverage you gave M$. I don't really see what people mean by its so hard and so disorganized. I can find the store, i can get online, I have a unified username throughout my games, all sony is lacking is the unified buddylist and audio/video chat. I mean how long do you think it will take before sony get's its own "gamertags"?

Ubersnuber

Master Poster
Feb 15, 2006
fooster said:
WTF was EA thinking
Correction: WTF were you thinking when you bought a EA game, and on top of that expecting the online part to be ok..you do know EA is notorius for their online service, right?
I noticed some people here blaming dev's instead of Sony, with EA as an exception, Sony is the one to blame..because they left it for the dev's to decide.

I do think most of your points were fair though, but let's see if Sony can make some magic;)