Playstation 3 still leads xbox in PAL territories

ps3isthebestobe

Superior Member
Jan 23, 2008
Description
Microsoft is currently celebrating their biggest European sales month in the last 6 years, but SCEE president David Reeves doesn't want them to forget who has the actual lead in that market.

"I am confident that in PAL territories our installed base is 300,000 units ahead of 360," he said. PAL territories include Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

Mr. Reeves also took the time to assert that Sony has no plans for Playstation 3 price cuts. "When we came into the industry we started at zero. And we had to have a model that offered price elasticity. As soon as we got the manufacturing price down on PSOne we lowered the price. Same with the Ps2. But we're not doing that on the ps3 - that's not the model, even if people are expecting it."

source: http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/sonyplaystation3stillleadsxbox360ineurope.shtml

interesting
Sorry first informative post :-?

Oct 19, 2006
Huh, I actually thought that Sony has much bigger lead in PAL...

"
When we came into the industry we started at zero. And we had to have a model that offered price elasticity. As soon as we got the manufacturing price down on PSOne we lowered the price. Same with the Ps2. But we're not doing that on the ps3 - that's not the model, even if people are expecting it."
Yeah, and we all know that pricecutting strategy didn't work for PSONE and PS2...or, wait...?

I must admit that I'm stupid and don't understand that brilliant new strategy Sony has with PS3. Simple men like me would think that there's no need to change strategy that was kicking everyones ***...however, boy, was I wrong!

Sajuuk Khar

Dedicated Member
May 26, 2005
[QUOTE="santana, post: 0]Huh, I actually thought that Sony has much bigger lead in PAL...

"

Yeah, and we all know that pricecutting strategy didn't work for PSONE and PS2...or, wait...?

I must admit that I'm stupid and don't understand that brilliant new strategy Sony has with PS3. Simple men like me would think that there's no need to change strategy that was kicking everyones ***...however, boy, was I wrong![/quote]

i would say having a lead over the 360 when there was more than a year between the 2 consoles launching, is pretty good.

About the price cut, hes isnt exactly going to say theres going to be a price cut a month or so after xmas :p some people would wait if they knew this. I think there will be a cut around march ish around the 2 year mark for the pal launch. Or maybe hold on for as long as possible with the price and completely slash it in half or something.

Sajuuk Khar

Dedicated Member
May 26, 2005
[QUOTE="Dasimpse, post: 0]so that leaves them still 5 or so million behind the 360. someone did the maths in another thread! they need to outsell the 360 months on month by 250 thousand units, then it will take 2 years for them to catch up.

Not happening in my oppinion but thats just my oppinion.[/quote]

i dont see that as soo impossible. a combination of an increase for the ps3 and decrease in demand for the 360, an eventual price cut for the ps3 and the many games that are coming out, even if they dont over take they should be able to close the gap by a decent amount. If you then consider that there was a year and 10 million dif is sale, being even would be an achievement.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Dasimpse, post: 0]so that leaves them still 5 or so million behind the 360. someone did the maths in another thread! they need to outsell the 360 months on month by 250 thousand units, then it will take 2 years for them to catch up.

Not happening in my oppinion but thats just my oppinion.[/quote]

Considering (and I know I have said this before) that the lead is basically all in NA all it would take is the bottoming of sales for the 360. That would happen after everyone that is interested in one, Has gotten one. Looking at the sales before the price drop one would have to get the impression that the 360 might be close to its own saturation point. It is only a matter of time. Let us see for how long this new price will benefit the 360.

If it doesn't keep sales up for at least a year then, we will know exactly what is happening. I for one.... doubt that it can in all territories.

mcav

Elite Guru
Jan 12, 2007
Does it really bother people so much how many other people have a PS3?

As long as the games keep coming and the services keep being added to, and you like playing them, why should anything else really matter?

Hateball

Apprentice
Jun 23, 2008
Yeah... we're loyal to the brand over here. Look what that got us.... delayed, if any releases at all. Oh and PSN Store... lets not even go there.

mcav

Elite Guru
Jan 12, 2007
Actually, I'm not even remotely brand loyal. I chose the PS3 largely due to the fact that it had a built in blu ray player and standard hardware such as hard drives.

I happen to have a Sony amp, but those are the only 2 sony products I have in my home.

Lozt_again

Master Poster
May 9, 2006
soundcloud.com
I'm Bored. You're boring Reeves. I'm going to go watch tv.

To be what I consider as frank with this matter at hand, none of the console makers are in trouble. In fact, Sony
is in an excellent position if they keep up the games and drop the price next year. As long as this financial crisis
does not send them sideways.

I for one used to be a bit of a Fanboy. I certainly have a disdain for Microsoft. However, nowadays, I don't even
vaguely care. I don't want to give MS any money but I'll have to for PC gaming and I hope the 360 keeps sending
good products the Windows gaming platform way. Let alone driving the competition to new levels. Would we really
be receiving the best console Sony could offer next gen if MS had dropped out of the race and Ninty continued
along the profitable hardware route? I don't think so. Let us not even mention the internet/multiplayer.

It's good to see 3 consoles thrive no matter what the bs gets thrown at them.

hillybilly

Elite Member
Apr 29, 2008
[QUOTE="mcav, post: 0]Does it really bother people so much how many other people have a PS3?

As long as the games keep coming and the services keep being added to, and you like playing them, why should anything else really matter?[/quote]

I salute you. Fellow gamer. :)