Playstation 3 Streaming/External HDD

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
1. Can anyone confirm that the ps3 can only read fat32 format as opposed to not being able to read ntfs format for a hard drive?

2. Has anyone been able to explore the filesystem on a external hard drive for the playstation 3, rather than being limited to the certain areas the xmb only allows you to view under the photo/music/movies tabs on the bar?

3.For those of you who have lanned hard drives (NAS), have you guys been able to link it up to your ps3? I have a tb hooked up but no luck so far with the ps3.

4. If anyone who has been using an external hdd, can you guys decide where to save your games wether it be on the ps3's hdd, the memory cards, or the hard drive?

pspman3

Apprentice
May 20, 2006
I dont know but if so FAT32 is better than NTFS because Linux AND Windows(idk Mac) can use it and its ovously much better than FAT

haomaru87

Superior Member
Oct 12, 2006
[QUOTE="fooster, post: 0]1. Can anyone confirm that the ps3 can only read fat32 format as opposed to not being able to read ntfs format for a hard drive?

2. Has anyone been able to explore the filesystem on a external hard drive for the playstation 3, rather than being limited to the certain areas the xmb only allows you to view under the photo/music/movies tabs on the bar?

3.For those of you who have lanned hard drives (NAS), have you guys been able to link it up to your ps3? I have a tb hooked up but no luck so far with the ps3.

4. If anyone who has been using an external hdd, can you guys decide where to save your games wether it be on the ps3's hdd, the memory cards, or the hard drive?[/quote]

1> NTFS is not recognized by PS3 (this is Windows XP specified file system and the last thing u expect is Sony and Microsoft working together)

2> For this problem, press Triangle to "Display All" and u will see everything inside the HDD/Memory Card/whatnot

3> Havent tried, cant confirm. :-|

4> Visit http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=48200

lorddct

Superior Member
May 15, 2006
Linux overall still has problem dealing with NTFS. It's far better than Fat32 and FAT but the community hasn't been able to immitate drivers for it yet. There may be some programs to read from NTFS but no way to write to it. FAT32 is probably best if you want to go between computers. But personally I would choose one of the linux FS, xfs is far better than any MS file system.

Dec 19, 2006
[QUOTE="fooster, post: 0]3.For those of you who have lanned hard drives (NAS), have you guys been able to link it up to your ps3? I have a tb hooked up but no luck so far with the ps3.[/quote]Yeah, I have a half terabyte of mp3s on my network that I can't see from my PS3.

I assume that the ability to read from a network drive is something that will come in a future update?

B

bmeyer

Hey... hold on
Linux can use NTFS
I have Kubuntu loaded on my Toshiba laptop, with a Windows XP and Linux ext3 partition. From Linux I access NTFS. There is two ways that Linux use NTFS, one is using the XP driver (with parts of ReactOS and Wine) and the other is the Linux NTFS driver - which can read, write is being tested at the moment.

FAT32 is not "better" than NTFS. It is not a journalling filesystem. JFS, XFS, ReiserFS, ext3, NTFS etc is journalling filesystems.

I see no reason why Linux (YDL or any other distribution) would not be able to read NTFS. Writing might be a problem at this time - but by next year that should not be a problem anymore. Just a small bit of info - with the Linux NTFS driver you can create a NTFS diskette (3 1/2") - but with X you can not.

B

bmeyer

[QUOTE="theBlaze74, post: 0]Yeah, I have a half terabyte of mp3s on my network that I can't see from my PS3.

I assume that the ability to read from a network drive is something that will come in a future update?[/QUOTE]
Depends on the Network protocol that is used. If it is a LanManager / NT /XP server it most probably use SMB / CIFS. For that you will need to run Linux with Samba client to access the files.

What type of server are you running om the network?

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
[QUOTE="bmeyer, post: 0]Hey... hold on
Linux can use NTFS
I have Kubuntu loaded on my Toshiba laptop, with a Windows XP and Linux ext3 partition. From Linux I access NTFS. There is two ways that Linux use NTFS, one is using the XP driver (with parts of ReactOS and Wine) and the other is the Linux NTFS driver - which can read, write is being tested at the moment.

FAT32 is not "better" than NTFS. It is not a journalling filesystem. JFS, XFS, ReiserFS, ext3, NTFS etc is journalling filesystems.

I see no reason why Linux (YDL or any other distribution) would not be able to read NTFS. Writing might be a problem at this time - but by next year that should not be a problem anymore. Just a small bit of info - with the Linux NTFS driver you can create a NTFS diskette (3 1/2") - but with X you can not.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you're right, i managed to get ydl on the ps3 and it detected my nas, it was able to explore the hard drive without a problem. Though it can't play any of the files yet.

Any idea on how to install vlc on linux? i have no clue how to do it.

Dec 19, 2006
[QUOTE="bmeyer, post: 0]Depends on the Network protocol that is used. If it is a LanManager / NT /XP server it most probably use SMB / CIFS. For that you will need to run Linux with Samba client to access the files.

What type of server are you running om the network?[/quote]Yes, thank you for the quick and helpfull reply on this. I think it is nice to have the ability to install a full featured OS on the playstation, however I already have a full on Windows HTPC in my theater room with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I was looking to the PS3 to provide a simple interface to my MP3s for kids and guests without them having to know where to browse around on the network for the mp3s.

I was encouraged when i saw the Music/Mp3 Icon on the main Sony screen, but dissapointed to find out there is no ability for the PS3 to see files on my network.

If I were to install linux on the PS3, I would be giving my guests (agrguably) an even more complicated interface than the Windows HTPC. And I would need another bluetooth keyboard and mouse (if linux supports it) on my coffee table.