[Playstation 4] Knack

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007

Release date: November 15, 2013
Price: $59.99​

At first glance, I wanted nothing to do with Knack. I was more interested in games like Killzone: Shadow Fall, Battlefield 4, and Assassin's Creed IV. I wanted to see games that looked like the next generation of gaming has arrived. I was fortunate enough to get Knack for free in a buy 2 get 1 deal at my local Target store. I completed the game and now it is time for my full review. Knick Knack patty whack, leave this one alone? Read on to find out if this title is one to add to your collection.

Story = 7/10
The story is not the most compelling, but it sort of keeps you interested. Some of the dialogue is cheesy, and it is not too hard to predict the direction in which the story turns. But the characters are more likable than they are annoying.

Gameplay = 8/10
If you were to give this game just 1 hour of your time, you would probably write this title off and never play it again. The first hour is basically the game teaching you how to play. But if you stick it out, you will see that there is so much more to this enjoyable platformer.

Knack is basically a bunch of relics that are connected to a powerful source at his center. The more relics you collect, the larger he can grow. Throughout your journey, you will find other material that Knack can absorb. Crystal shards, wood, Ice, etc. These other elements will be used to to complete certain areas in the levels. Unfortunately these materials are pretty much handed to you. There is no exploring around looking for the proper materials. That would require this game to be open world, and sadly it is not. Although the game is pretty linear, it is still quite the adventure.

Knack is quite a challenging game too. Most enemies have certain patterns, and can easily be defeated. But when you combine 5 or more enemies, many of which can kill you with a single hit, the challenge gets pretty tough. You will die many times throughout the adventure, and sometimes the checkpoints are not favorable.

There are many chests hidden all over. You will need to break through walls, houses, and trees, in order to locate hidden chests that could be holding a piece of a gadget. If you collect all of the pieces to the gadget, you will be rewarded. For instance, one of the gadgets gives you an extra sunstone charge. Unleashing sunstones is a super move Knack can perform. Sunstone crystals are all over the place, and you smash them to absorb their power.

Graphics = 7/10
Knack is not going to blow you away with incredibly detailed visuals. But the colorful palette is enough to keep it pretty. And there are some parts of the game that are really nice looking. But most of the game look like a Pixar movie. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Overall = 8/10
Knack is not a perfect game, but the enjoyable characters and old school platforming, make this title a solid experience. The game is quite long, as I clocked in 17hrs on my first play through. You will need to play the game 2 or 3 times through if you wish to collect everything hidden in the game. Once you finish the game, you will unlock a Time Trial mode, and an Arena mode. This is not a bad entry for Knacks first adventure. But I really hope Knack 2 goes with the open world route next time. Knack has the potential to be the next Jak and Daxter, or Ratchet.

Pros:
Solid platforming reminiscent of the early PS2 days
Pretty, colorful graphics
Many collectibles adding to the replay value
15+ hour adventure

Cons:
Linear game play
Tends to get repetitive
Not enough check points

Last edited:

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
I've been on the fence on whether to get this too and I might actually grab it after reading that. I'm perfectly fine with a slight grind and a solid old fashioned platformer.

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
Cool review, glad to see you back to making some new reviews! Looking to undergo a few changes with the database, but thanks for supporting the section :)