PlayStation 5 Thermals, Power, & Noise Testing

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007

Quite a long video, but if i want to know something about what a given company (AMD, Nvidia, ARM etc) are trying to do in the market, GN are pretty damn good. I typically watch their videos and just avoid the rest in such cases.

Some interesting insight into the PS5, and the state they're in when under load.

No real complaints save for the memory temps.

Conclusion: Could be better.

Sep 10, 2005
Yeah they need to address the memory temps,this is most likely why some Ps5's are having the artifacts.The video headline tho is misleading.

PS: Waiting for the bad design comments of doom and gloom lol

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
It's pretty rare for GN to put out a video where everything is praises. From their perspective, they probably take the stance that the memory should be addressed better, which is a perfectly valid point in a rational world. Sadly, i dont think that that's the case as you point out.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Wow... what??? 94Cº in a 21Cº environment?

In a moderately warm room it could get above thermal limits, let alone summer without Air Conditioner. And this is running ASTRO... :/

This is what's causing all the artifacting! As we've been speculating, it's de Memory running way too hot!

I am missing something here? I'm genuinely worried now.

No real complaints save for the memory temps.

Conclusion: Could be better.
Way to minimize it. This is serious.

Update: So, from the video, this is a serious engineering mistake. Warm air not being properly exhausted from the console and memories not having direct contact with the heatsink, resulting in extremely high memory temperatures. Liquid Metal is doing its job with the Core and the rest but it only takes 1 component to overheat to damage or make the console malfunction.

It makes all sense now with the hundreds of artifacting being reported and growing.

So, Sony desperatedly needs to redesign the console but what about the ones already on the market?

Will they do a recall? Will Sony adjust the fan speed to minimize the damage? resulting in a loud console all over again?

I can't stress enough how big of an issue this potentially is. Unless Gamer's Nexus made a serious mistake in their testing, this is as serious as it gets.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2005
If im not mistaken he said that the tolerance is
It's pretty rare for GN to put out a video where everything is praises. From their perspective, they probably take the stance that the memory should be addressed better, which is a perfectly valid point in a rational world. Sadly, i dont think that that's the case as you point out.
What did i tell you? lol

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
What did i tell you? lol
Yup. Probs never even got to the part where GN gave their feedback, and how minor their changes are.

For posterity's sake tho: Micron (the guys who likely make the memory modules) have a recommended operating range of 0-95C. The chips go as high as 100C. Not uncommon on GPU's when they put their modules on the backside of the PCB away from any, and all, airflow.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Ok, even Stephen from Gamer's Nexus is making fun of those trying to justifiy such extreme temps on a console on a 21Cº Environment, running a game as light as Astro.

Said this, I've found out not every PS5 has this design (apparently)

This seems to be what is inside Burke's (GN) console.

But apparently, not every unit has this design. I Fix it one seems to be a different revision. Not sure if this is better or not though.

Sep 10, 2005
This is his answer,that includes the fix.A quite easy fix that is.

You got a problem with the spec? If you interpret that as people saying it's cool, that's on you for inferring incorrectly
Correct me if im wrong,but if im not mistaken the memory if you dont Oc it,it will run at the same temps ( not sure how much impact the ambient temps will have tho).And if like you said Sony does a better job on the heat pads to improve the contact it can be significantly lowered

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Correct me if im wrong,but if im not mistaken the memory if you dont Oc it,it will run at the same temps ( not sure how much impact on it the ambient temps will have tho).And if like you said Sony does a better job on the heat pads to improve the contact it can be significantly lowered
Depends on the environment. It will run at the same delta over ambient in an isolated box. However, that's sort of ideal conditions, reality is, the thing will probably heat itself up (not too sure how much wattage these things pull, but enough for them to need their own phases from the VRM's) to such a point as it kills itself. You only need to dissipate enough heat such that whatever it's generating over it's spec is accounted for - To be clear, since apparently this gets interpreted wrongly, it's still hot, and still on the edge, and more would be better, but the spec is still spec...

Sep 10, 2005
Depends on the environment. It will run at the same delta over ambient in an isolated box. However, that's sort of ideal conditions, reality is, the thing will probably heat itself up (not too sure how much wattage these things pull, but enough for them to need their own phases from the VRM's) to such a point as it kills itself. You only need to dissipate enough heat such that whatever it's generating over it's spec is accounted for - To be clear, since apparently this gets interpreted wrongly, it's still hot, and still on the edge, and more would be better, but the spec is still spec...
If the ambient is too hot tho they might get out of specs.Since they are running very close to the max.I'm sure Sony will improve on this tho and will not be an issue.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
If the ambient is too hot tho they might get out of specs.Since they are running very close to the max.I'm sure Sony will improve on this tho and will not be an issue.
Yep. One of the things GN said at the end was Sony could just spin the fan faster as well. Not too sure if they have the sensors onboard (they should) but a firmware update could adjust the fan curves, particularly if your system goes over some threshold. Better than the thing dying, and given how quiet the thing is already, i don't think people will notice.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
If the ambient is too hot tho they might get out of specs.
EXACTLY.

It's all wrong with those temps. 21Cº is easily 7-10 degrees less than the average room in summer.

Throw in a demanding game and that thing will be running out of specs and producing all the artifacting we've been seeing everywhere.

It all makes sense now.

I'm sure Sony will improve on this tho and will not be an issue
For the thousands (millions?) already produced, all they can do is probably adjust the fan, which wouldn't be that much efficient and will bring back the noise problem.

This is why I'm saying it's a serious problem. I will have to see if it's possible to know what model I have. I will return it or cancel my order.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2005
EXACTLY.

It's all wrong with those temps. 21Cº is easily 7-10 degrees less than the average room in summer.

Throw in a demanding game and that thing will be running out of specs and producing all the artifacting we've been seeing everywhere.

It all makes sense now.

For the thousands (millions?) already produced, all they can do is probably adjust the fan, which wouldn't be that much efficient and will bring back the noise problem.

This is why I'm saying it's a serious problem. I will have to see if it's possible to know what model I have. I will return it or cancel my order.
Its not a GPU to get hotter by a more demanding game.The memory is running at the same speed all the time...It will have a problem only if the ambient is too high.We will see how much of a problem this will be.And what Sony will do to fix it.No worries here,this is why we got the 2 years warranty.I will work the crap out of my system to test it.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Its not a GPU to get hotter by a more demanding game
You're confused.

More demanding game = heavier assets = more data going back and forth = more heat & vRAM utilization.

In case you don't know, you can also OC the vRAM in a videocard and it starts artifacting out of heat.

In the case of PS5, the RAM is shared btw.

It will have a problem only if the ambient is too high.
It's already having problems in average environments. It can only get worse when summer arrives unless Sony increases the fan speed dramatically and/or downclock the RAM more aggressively when it reaches its temp limits, resulting in degraded performance.

This is not something Sony can just "FIX" with a software update you know.

this is why we got the 2 years warranty
True. But having a replacement these months could be a nightmare.. and hoping for the new console not to have this issue.

It looks like a pretty serious problem to me.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2005
I watched it again and its not all the memory modules that have this problem.they definitely need to improve on that part.And they will.They do have the pressure to get as many as possible out now.But its something,that needs to be addressed as soon as possible,in order not to have potential returns later.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
I watched it again and its not all the memory modules that have this problem
You only need 1 module to fail in order to have the console artifact, fail or even die.

they definitely need to improve on that part.And they will.They do have the pressure to get as many as possible out now.But its something,that needs to be addressed as soon as possible,in order not to have potential returns later.
Not sure what to make of this. You're talking as if the console wasn't out there yet. Thousands are already out there with this problem. Unless they do a recall, there's basically nothing Sony can do to avoid returns, unless they do some serious fan acceleration or thermal downclocking... which honestly would suck.