PlayStation announces partnership with Spotify

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland

Sony has today announced a business partnership with music streaming service 'Spotify', which will see the program become available on both PS4 and PS3.

Speaking on the U.S. PlayStation Blog, Sony Network Entertainment Vice President Eric Lempel confirmed that the ubiquitous streaming service would be replacing that of Music Unlimited, Sony's own streaming software that's been housed on its consoles for several years.

Crucially, you'll be able to queue up songs in the background whilst playing your games so you can customize the experience as you see fit - fancy listening to some heavy metal whilst traversing the terrain in Kryat? Now you can. Plus, with 30 million songs and over 1.5 billion playlists, you're sure to find something to fit the mood.

Once PS4 and PS3's functionality is secure, the plan is then to roll out the service onto Sony Xperia phones and tablets alike.

Speaking of Music Unlimited's closure, Lempel said: ''Prior to the launch of Spotify on PlayStation Music, the Music Unlimited service will close in all 19 countries on March 29, 2015. Nearly all of these countries will be among the 41 markets where PlayStation Music featuring Spotify will be available at launch, including the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Brazil. From February 28, 2015, Music Unlimited users with active subscriptions will receive up to 30 days of free access through March 29, 2015.''

No release date's forthcoming as of yet, with a placeholder of Spring tentatively in place - which gives Sony plenty of time to divulge the juicy exclusive features promised in the PlayStation versions of the software.

Will you be using Spotify on PlayStation? Let us know in the comments section below.
http://www.psu.com/news/25695/Spotify-announces-partnership-with-PlayStation

Thoughts?

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Depends on how much it costs. Spotify is free, but with a premium option, according to its website. And Vita is left out in the cold.....again? sigh.

This is good though. Better than Music Limited, that's for sure.

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
This sort of partnership is what will drive console sales forward. Instead of using their own software they are using top rated apps that commercially makes sense.

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="MacP, post: 6417642]This sort of partnership is what will drive console sales forward. Instead of using their own software they are using top rated apps that commercially makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it's a win-win for both Sony and Spotify. Both have their brands already nailed down so it makes a lot of sense. Sony's learned lessons with Music Unlimited.

Tactical

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2014
Here's some awesome news everybody, from the PSBlog:

We know how important music is to our community of gamers, and this partnership combines the best in music with the best in gaming. PlayStation Network users will enjoy the convenience of linking your accounts to Spotify, making it easy to sign-up with your existing ID and subscribe to Spotify’s Premium service.
You can also use Spotify while playing games on PS4, enabling you to soundtrack your gaming sessions with your favorite songs in the background. Want something heavy and rocking for an intense Destiny Raid? How about some old school hip hop while taking the field in Madden NFL?
With more than 30 million songs and 1.5 billion playlists, Spotify on PlayStation Music has it covered. As we get closer to launch we look forward to telling you about some of the other great features that will be available exclusively through Spotify on PlayStation Music.
The new service will launch initially on PS4 and PS3, as well as Xperia smartphones and tablets. You’ll of course be able to listen to your favorite playlists – including existing playlists from current Spotify users as well as Spotify curated playlists – and enjoy the service on all of Spotify’s supported devices.
Prior to the launch of Spotify on PlayStation Music, the Music Unlimited service will close in all 19 countries on March 29, 2015. Nearly all of these countries will be among the 41 markets where PlayStation Music featuring Spotify will be available at launch, including the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Brazil.
From February 28, 2015, Music Unlimited users with active subscriptions will receive free access to Music Unlimited through March 29, 2015.

Both Free and Premium Services will be available so that's good. Here's the link to the article http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/28/playstation-meet-spotify/

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="TacticalHugging, post: 6417654]Here's some awesome news everybody, from the PSBlog:

We know how important music is to our community of gamers, and this partnership combines the best in music with the best in gaming. PlayStation Network users will enjoy the convenience of linking your accounts to Spotify, making it easy to sign-up with your existing ID and subscribe to Spotify’s Premium service.
You can also use Spotify while playing games on PS4, enabling you to soundtrack your gaming sessions with your favorite songs in the background. Want something heavy and rocking for an intense Destiny Raid? How about some old school hip hop while taking the field in Madden NFL?
With more than 30 million songs and 1.5 billion playlists, Spotify on PlayStation Music has it covered. As we get closer to launch we look forward to telling you about some of the other great features that will be available exclusively through Spotify on PlayStation Music.
The new service will launch initially on PS4 and PS3, as well as Xperia smartphones and tablets. You’ll of course be able to listen to your favorite playlists – including existing playlists from current Spotify users as well as Spotify curated playlists – and enjoy the service on all of Spotify’s supported devices.
Prior to the launch of Spotify on PlayStation Music, the Music Unlimited service will close in all 19 countries on March 29, 2015. Nearly all of these countries will be among the 41 markets where PlayStation Music featuring Spotify will be available at launch, including the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Brazil.
From February 28, 2015, Music Unlimited users with active subscriptions will receive free access to Music Unlimited through March 29, 2015.

Both Free and Premium Services will be available so that's good. Here's the link to the article http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/28/playstation-meet-spotify/[/QUOTE]

Was already a thread for this, Tactical. Just merged yours into. Thanks.

Tactical

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2014
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6417655]Was already a thread for this, Tactical. Just merged yours into. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Oh crap sorry, Didn't see it. Got a bit to excited when I heard the news. I would say it won't happen again but this happens to me monthly so I won't make no promises lol :snicker

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="TacticalHugging, post: 6417658]Oh crap sorry, Didn't see it. Got a bit to excited when I heard the news. I would say it won't happen again but this happens to me monthly so I won't make no promises lol :snicker[/QUOTE]

lol...no worries, bro. I've done it more times than I can count. :p

It is certainly welcome news. Maybe Sony is finally realizing that there are services out there that are far better than anything they can offer.

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6417666]lol...no worries, bro. I've done it more times than I can count. :p

It is certainly welcome news. Maybe Sony is finally realizing that there are services out there that are far better than anything they can offer.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much.

I'm interested to see the functionality of the free portion of the service, if there is indeed one. It's not something I'd personally pay for.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Shockwave, post: 6417668]Pretty much.

I'm interested to see the functionality of the free portion of the service, if there is indeed one. It's not something I'd personally pay for.[/QUOTE]

Same here. if it isn't free, I'd like to know what benefits, discounts, etc. PS+ subscribers would get, if any.

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
Also from the EU Blog

Smeghead2k8 28 January, 2015 @ 3:54 pm 18 Report
Do you need Spotify Premium for service?

Fred Dutton 28 January, 2015 @ 4:11 pm
No, the free ad-supported option will be available too.
Grace Iglesias-Fernandez 28 January, 2015 @ 4:22 pm 49
The PlayStation Music featuring Spotify launch markets are as follows: Andorra, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, UK and USA
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/01/28/playstation-meet-spotify/

Jan 30, 2015
It's not going to cost anything other than your existing Spotify subscription I doubt. There will no doubt be an initial sign up bonus, I think I got a free month trial but the full premium account is £9.99 pm or £5.99 is you are a student.

Sorry Android. I have always loved you but I

Jan 26, 2010
Perfect timing I was planning on killing my Rdio subscription and was looking into the Xperia 3v I like spotify so having it on my ps4 will be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Now all I want is Sony to add more of their Japanese bands to Spotify then I 'll be happy. It's the only reason I have not been using Spotify as I'm a big Japanese music lover.

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
[QUOTE="subtenko, post: 6425055]Any updates on the date? Sometime this spring for sure[/QUOTE]
GDC is on next week, might hear something more about it there.