PlayStation Now (PS Now)

Jan 13, 2007
[QUOTE="aries300, post: 6280390]Hmm, just did a couple of PINGTESTs and I got 102ms and 105ms.:(
I see people talking about 15-30ms for it to work good so I guess i won´t be able to enjoy this service. I´m supposed to have more than a 5mb connection though[/QUOTE]

Switch up servers.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
^what he said. also try multiple tests from different places. it's easy to get 100ms ping when you may have a better one.[QUOTE="aries300, post: 6280390]Hmm, just did a couple of PINGTESTs and I got 102ms and 105ms.:(
I see people talking about 15-30ms for it to work good so I guess i won´t be able to enjoy this service. I´m supposed to have more than a 5mb connection though[/QUOTE]
are you on a wireless connection?

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Locomotive, post: 6280381]So can ayone explain the download requirements?

Like I have 18Mbps download so what does that translate to? When I download stuff off Steam, my download speed is only around 2.5MB/s.

If that isn't enough then, godam....that exciting thing ended for me pretty quickly.[/QUOTE]

Divide your 18Mbps by 8 and you get close to 2.5Mega Bytes per second.
Why do we divide by 8? Simple. There are 8 bits in 1 Byte.
Basically its how to convert Megabits to MegaBytes

Steam and your web browser Uses Mega Bytes per second not Mega bits per second.

ITs dumb that ISPs measure in Megabits when we measure how large files are in Mega Bytes. A similar issue exists here in the UK, we measure how efficient cars are in miles per gallon but we buy fuel by the litre and our cars fuel tanks are measure in litres.
Dumb.

Last edited:

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6280420]Steam and your web browser Uses Mega Bytes per second not Mega bits per second.
[/QUOTE]
it's like that because internet started slow. they can't say, "Get a whopping 0.056MB/s speed today! That is FAST DIAL-UP!"

you're only going to measure by something that is easily measurable.

as for gallons, i guess that is because that's how the oil is sold...not sure why else.

aries300

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2007
here
[QUOTE="chrisw26308, post: 6280400]Switch up servers.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Not much to choose from in my area and they get you with 2 yr contracts.

[QUOTE="Sufi, post: 6280405]^what he said. also try multiple tests from different places. it's easy to get 100ms ping when you may have a better one.
are you on a wireless connection?[/QUOTE]

Nope that´s wired.
I´m supposed to have a 20Mbps. I just did another speed test from a different place
9.28 Mbps and the ping is even worse at 114ms.

Oh well I still have my ps2 and ps3. I am thinking about getting a Vita which is why I´m interested in PlayStation Now

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
Sony has a PS1 software emulator, a PS2 software emulator and there is probably some kind of PS3 software emulator. The problem is if it ran on the PS4, they would be able to sell one copy of the software and that would be it. There are so many used PS1 and PS2 disks around, nobody would pay for a DDL version that runs under a software emulator. PS Now is just another option, opt in if you want, opt out if you don't, it's not going to affect your PS4 game play. Current gen Sony is all about choice and trying to get some decent money back from the game business.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
Emulation should be run on a massive server rig tho.
PS1 and PSP emulation would be rather simple, but you can't suggest the PS4 could run it all on site.

So for top quality 1080p what kinda video size can we expect?

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
I think the best thing to do is just wait and see. i'm excited to see a service like this get off the ground , but remember what we've seen so far at CES was only a demo. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some local servers there running this stuff.

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I have faith it will work fine. I use to play some Gaikai demos (tera mostly) and they worked surprisingly well, there was a few issues from time to time but I'm sure that was more my internet then anything.

TOM2x

Dedicated Member
Apr 27, 2007
I was thinking the same thing. The graphics aren't going to be as good as the actual physical disc as well. It's not the same as a re-release upgrade to the next platform.

D3seeker

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2008
Severn, Maryland
[QUOTE="MacP, post: 6279762]I bought a PS3 to play PS3 games I do not want to pay for a PS3 game on a PS4.[/QUOTE]
And when your PS3 dies before you get through your pile of shame, or you're dying to play {insert favorite PS3 tile here} you'll be biching about that down the line..... :rolleyes:

We've already sliced each other heads off multiple time in the past over ....eh hm, such issues, so I'll leave you with this; Stop being so damn short sighted. These consoles don't last forever. Unfortunately this is how we'er gonna spearhead the issue of legacy game (for now) and pretending there is no demand nor interest in older games is blatant ignorance.

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
[QUOTE="D3seeker, post: 6280811]And when your PS3 dies before you get through your pile of shame, or you're dying to play {insert favorite PS3 tile here} you'll be biching about that down the line..... :rolleyes:

We've already sliced each other heads off multiple time in the past over ....eh hm, such issues, so I'll leave you with this; Stop being so damn short sighted. These consoles don't last forever. Unfortunately this is how we'er gonna spearhead the issue of legacy game (for now) and pretending there is no demand nor interest in older games is blatant ignorance.[/QUOTE]

Amen. I never understood why people want to limit their consoles options. It's not like when they focus solely on the games we get super beast mode content. (See BF4, NBA 2K14, Madden and more for reference)

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="MacP, post: 6279762]I bought a PS3 to play PS3 games I do not want to pay for a PS3 game on a PS4.[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, I'm hunting down a PS2 right now( my launch model not reading all discs)
And I have my PS3 hooked up right next to my PS4 and I played FFVIII (PSX) for 5 hours last night, I preferably like my PS4 to be able to do those things not have multiple consoles to do so, afterall its a PlayStation.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

G

GreatSpaceKoaster

It's nice to have the option, but I won't be using it. Too many games to play now to be worrying about games from the past.

hood

Elite Member
Dec 2, 2005
Is this a comfirmation that this will come with PS+
I need to know some answers.Are we still getting ps1 classic and ps2 classic games to buy through psn or is it now going to be this service and we have to just rent it?Will this conflict with ps+ since we get full ps3 games for free and get great sales on them as well as ps1 classics and ps2 classics.Now with this coming are you guys going to be more hesitent about what to release?
+ Matthew Harper on January 7th, 2014 at 11:08 am said:
Hey Souledge94,
PS Now will offer PS3 games now but we are considering measures to offer other content in the future (such as PS1, PS2, and PS4 games).
As a Plus member you can look forward to plenty of more great games as part of your Instant Game Collection. We’re fully committed to continuing to provide our Plus members with the tons of value.
With PS Now, gamers will simply have more options to access great PlayStation content than ever before possible. I’m betting you will love the service.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/07/playstation-now-streaming-game-service-coming-this-summer/

hood

Elite Member
Dec 2, 2005
[QUOTE="Serinous, post: 6282564]Not really. PS+ and PSNow will probably be offered separately.[/QUOTE]

But the responsive is
As a Plus member you can look forward to plenty of more great games as part of your Instant Game Collection. We’re fully committed to continuing to provide our Plus members with the tons of value.
and then he says
With PS Now, gamers will simply have more options to access great PlayStation content than ever before possible. I’m betting you will love the service.
As far as we know you only get a handful of games from PS+ a month. Now it does make sense to offer it for both non PS+ subscribers and PS+ subscribers since you're supposedly able to stream these games to other devices.

Last edited:

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
Just seen insider 'Tidux' tweet this:

@Tidux: PSNow coming to EU this year, Sony will announce the date during Gamescom. #PS4 #gamescom

Link: https://twitter.com/tidux/status/482232234045632513

And this:

@Tidux: during a closed testing it works better in Europe than in the U.S. there is a better infrastructure here #PS4

https://twitter.com/tidux/status/482232265943314432

I'm certainly looking forward to trying it out, pricing seems to be the main negative I keep seeing about it at the minute but the final prices still aren't 100% definite so let's hope Sony come up with a better pricing scheme.

Anyone else interested in this EU wise, happy it's coming this year? Initially I think we were told it'd be early 2015?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Really looking forward to PS Now so I would love it if they announced that is was coming to Europe and the UK this year but I am not going to hold my breath as apparently Tidux has been getting things a bit wrong lately lol!

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
PS3 owners in parts of US and Canada can now stream games through an open beta of Sony's PlayStation Now service.

The US PlayStation Blog announces the PlayStation 3 beta is available in mainland US and parts of Canada. PlayStation Now hit open beta on PlayStation 4 in July, with a library that now stands at more than 150 titles.

The post also confirmed that Ultra Street Fighter 4, Infamous and God of War: Ascension are in the works for the streaming service.

Pricing currently varies per title, but Sony added that it's "still working towards a PS Now subscription option."
Source

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
this PS Now thing may help but just digital games being on the store really makes the past generation look a lot more solid. i think the PS3 will go for another 5+ years. i would not be surprised if close to 20 years.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
Know how everyone was complaining about the per-game rental price on PSNow? Sony has been listening.

[h=1]Playstation Now: Subscription Plan News Coming Soon; PS1/PS2 and More First Party Games Planned[/h]by Giuseppe Nelva (4 hours ago) 10 @abriael

After the initial controversy about the pricing, PlayStation Now seems to be finally taking off, and Director of Marketing Peter Jamshidi provided more information about what we can expect in the comments of a recent PlayStation Blog post.
First of all, news about a subscription plans are coming soon:
Yes, A subscription plan is being worked on, and I’m very excited about it. We see it adding a complimentary option to rentals as a way to enjoy immediate access to PlayStation 3 games via PlayStation Now. More details coming in the near future!
Jamshidi also game some info on the plans to make more first party games by Sony available in the service:
Recently we published God of War: Ascension, Twisted Metal, and Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus.
Yes, we will definitely have more first party titles coming soon to the service and realize a lot of people may have missed out on the types of amazing experiences you mention that are only available on PlayStation.
Per my earlier comment, making our first party PS3 games available is definitely a strong part of the vision of PlayStation Now. We want to make these amazing PlayStation 3 games accessible to more people than ever and on more devices than ever, including on the PS4.
So yes, we definitely have more first party titles lined up for release in the near future. Hold tight!
PS If you haven’t already, check out some of the first party titles already available for PS Now including Infamous 2, Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus, God of War: Ascension, and Twisted Metal.
Finally, we hear that there are plans for PS1 and PS2 games as well, but those will come on the longer term.
We are focusing on the amazing PS3 library at the moment, but do have plans to go back even further in time and offer PS2 and PS1 games longer term.
Personally, a semi-backwards-compatibility with PS2 and PS1 games would definitely add a lot of attractive to PlayStation Now on PS4, and I’m quite sure I’m not the only one feeling like that.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/11...on-ps1ps2-and-more-first-party-games-planned/

This is an exciting month for PS4 news ;) Stay tuned!