PlayStation Phone

Jul 24, 2010
s15.zetaboards.com
Does anyone know when the PlayStation Phone is coming out? Last I heard the release date is February 2011. What exactly will the phone be capable of? Will it have all the features (texting, internet, etc.) as normal cell phones, plus the ability to play games (not mobile games, but real games)? What sort of games will it be able to play exactly? Will it be like the N-Gage, only more advanced?

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
Very little is known at this point....

- we know it looks strikingly like a PSP Go
- we know ta running android, so yes it will text and make calls just like any other smartphone...
- we have no real idea about hardware, so its impossible to.tell if its powerful enough to actually play PSP games (my guess is no)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
It's not meant to play PSP games. From what I understand it's just a smartphone with buttons for gaming.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
The device uses a 1 GHz Snapdragon processor, and features a display measuring 3.7 to 4.1 inches (94 to 100 mm), a 5 megapixel camera, 512 MB RAM, 1 GB internal storage and features support for microSD cards as opposed to the Memory Stick variants used in previous PSP consoles.[2][6] The device will feature the Gingerbread (Android 2.3) firmware[7] (with the current prototype running Android 2.x)[1] and it is supposedly based on the PlayStation Portable.[3] In addition the device, will apparently run on something known as "Z-System" though it is unclear what that entails, however Sony Ericsson has filed several trademarks for "Z-System"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Phone

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5312826]It's not meant to play PSP games. From what I understand it's just a smartphone with buttons for gaming.[/QUOTE]

right, which makes it fairly useless..

[QUOTE="liquidghost, post: 5313404]well thats more than i knew about will it run skype is the big question[/QUOTE]sure, skype runs on all android phones...however if they phone doesn't have a front facing camera (i do not believe it does) then it can't do voice chat...

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Metfanant, post: 5313407]right, which makes it fairly useless..

sure, skype runs on all android phones...however if they phone doesn't have a front facing camera (i do not believe it does) then it can't do voice chat...[/QUOTE]

Unless Sony is planning on using it to try and open a door into designing mobile games for android.

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5313515]Unless Sony is planning on using it to try and open a door into designing mobile games for android.[/QUOTE]

eh, its still outdated hardware with a built in gaming pad instead of a keyboard...

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
All about how it's marketed. The phone is more than capable enough of running smoothly.

Nor is that hardware that outdated. With the exception of the camera it's today's smartphone standard.

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5313538]All about how it's marketed. The phone is more than capable enough of running smoothly.

Nor is that hardware that outdated. With the exception of the camera it's today's smartphone standard.[/QUOTE]

right, but there are phones that are ~6 months old with equal hardware and this phone is not even on the market yet...its a bad recipe when your yet to be released hardware is equaled by phones 6 months old...

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Like I said, it's how they market the phone. Having the latest and greatest hardware doesn't always mean that the product will succeed. However, in this case the phone is in no way underpowered.

PS, I'm not advocating that SE has good marketing.

Renzoblade

Superior Member
Nov 14, 2007
New Game informer states Andriod 3.0 and it will have the Playstation Network on it. Maybe they will have a section for mobile games to download etc

Pez_555

Master Guru
Feb 3, 2006
it should be able to run PSP games.

The iPhone 4 has barely been tapped into what it can do, and we are already seeing games on there with PS2/PSP quality (FIFA 11 being one of them).

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Metfanant, post: 5313407]right, which makes it fairly useless..

sure, skype runs on all android phones...however if they phone doesn't have a front facing camera (i do not believe it does) then it can't do voice chat...[/QUOTE]

I fail to see what a camera has to do with voice chat.:confused:

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 5315806]I fail to see what a camera has to do with voice chat.:confused:[/QUOTE]

my bad...meant to say "can only do voice chat"

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Metfanant, post: 5313547]right, but there are phones that are ~6 months old with equal hardware and this phone is not even on the market yet...its a bad recipe when your yet to be released hardware is equaled by phones 6 months old...[/QUOTE]

What happened last time Sony released a box full of cutting edge futuristic technology (ps3)?? They didn't even start to make a profit for the first years and it was claimed to be too expensive comapred to the competition. I think it's fine that this phone doesnt have the newest hardware, it will mean its more afordable and im cool with that.

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="ghost_rhayne, post: 5316288]What happened last time Sony released a box full of cutting edge futuristic technology (ps3)?? They didn't even start to make a profit for the first years and it was claimed to be too expensive comapred to the competition. I think it's fine that this phone doesnt have the newest hardware, it will mean its more afordable and im cool with that.[/QUOTE]

lol @ comparing the video game industry to the smartphone industry...

Phone prices are so subsidized that they hardly ever release at anything over $199 w/2 year contract now...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk