Playstation Portable 2 - Will you buy one?

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="Ryunosuke, post: 5416000]I was just wonder, but what features on the PSP2 could potentially drive up the price of the PSP2 to be $400 or more? Is the price of the 3DS giving the appears that the PSP2 costs more to make than it actually does? Even though the 3DS is selling for $250+ Nintendo has stated that not only are they selling the device at a profit, but that they are selling it at a premium.

Keep in mind that Sony usually sales a new Playstation console/handheld at a lose and I believe they stated that they plan to do the same with PSP2.

Would the 5' OLED screen drive up costs anymore than the backlit 3.53' Autostereoscopic and 3.03' LCD screens the 3DS has? Could the CPU/GPU in the PSP2 cost so much more than the ones in the 3DS that Sony would have to sale the device at $400 or more?

I don't know how much something like 3G would be to add to a device, but it seems Sony is going to offer a version without it. Perhaps I am overlooking it, but I don't see anything else that would really drive up costs that much. This isn't the same case as with the PS3 where Sony had billions invested in the Cell processor and Blu-ray.

$400 would also be within $100 of what they priced the PS3(20GB) at launch. I don't think the cost to manufacture the PSP2 will be anywhere near as much as it did with the PS3.[/QUOTE]

It's a 960x544 resolution Touch Sensitive OLED screen. That will be much more expensive than a 3' LCD that's 800x240 (to give 400x240 pixels per eye resolution) + the 320x240 bottom panel. The bottom panel is commodity, and the top panel will be cheaper to produce than an OLED. Add in the touch pad on the back and the cost is going to be higher on the NGP. The Dual ANALOG sticks adds cost, 3DS put in a non-analog Nub.

If history serves correct the motion sensor technology employed in the NGP will be better and more expensive.

I can only assume that the camera's will be higher resolution than the 640x480 camera's on the 3DS.

The QUAD A9 vs Dual A11 and we can assume the GPU's will be higher on the cost side for Sony as well.

If the screen isn't built for it (providing the ability to direct the light to specific eyes by means of something like the Parallax Barrier used on 3DS, then it can't do it w/o glasses.) We don't know the refresh rate on NGP, but it may be possible to do it w/ shutter glasses and emitter. Who knows this can be on the road map, but we don't have enough detail to say right now.

That said, the advantage of having Analog Stick for fighting games, and boom adding two of them, and boom adding two touch surfaces, and boom adding high resolution screen of decent size all adds up to a kick arse system IMO, but you will hear the 'But it doesn't have 3D' from the crowd. Is this enough to drive the masses into the hands of the 3DS crowd? Maybe. But if I can play GoW on a handheld with better resolution, and have a 2nd analog stick for camera view movement, man that's the handheld for me (at least at a $299 pricepoint.)

Also, note that the 3G adds a cost too. But as I've expressed before, I think it adds little value to many of us who have WiFi readily available where ever we're at except for in the car, and as a parent, I'm not going to pay for a data plan for my son to play online games while riding the bus to school or riding in the car to grandpa's house, etc.

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
What i find annoying will be that many people will find the psp 2 overpriced if its £20 to £80 more expensive than the 3ds, despite it being more advanced ( except form no 3d), more powerful, more content ( android market will add in many apps) etc..

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
[QUOTE="Bigdoggy, post: 5415731]I voted "uh....hell no" :X because of the fact that every single time I buy a handheld device it starts collecting dust after a few months so it's basically a waste of money. If I want to game, I will do it at home on a big screen, I don't need to game outside of my house because I usually have things to do.[/QUOTE]
Haha, kinda' like my view, but I'm not going to kid myself! I've had numerous hand-held consoles, and I no longer have any of them, but when a new piece of kit comes out, I just have to have it :D

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="Galvanise_, post: 5416351]The other impressive thing about the PSP2/NGP is that the cost to manufacture has the potential to drop rather quickly.[/QUOTE]

How is that may I ask?

I think it will come in around $300 to $350. Around 269 GBP. I really want one but I need some questions answered over the PSP2 - which no doubt will be answered in the coming months.

One thing I would say (and though it seems ideological) is to throw your weight behind Sony and Nintendo if you really believe in core-gaming...because if you don't you might just end up regretting it in the long-run by facing up to the reality of only being able to play simplistic snack-type games you get on the smart-phone/tablets in the market. If you want the premium game experience - you better get used to paying high hardware and software costs.

Last edited:

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
Mobile technology is always in motion and new hardware adoption rates in that market are very high.

So "older" hardware will quickly get a discount in favor of newer, more sophisticated technology.

Sony is using beefy tech, but none of them are exceptionally "custom" or "unique"- they're PowerVR and ARM technologies which are off the shelf and being updated as we speak.

soulz

Superior Member
Nov 21, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'll buy one if it is reasonably priced, maybe if it comes down to 299 AUD but first they need to work on the UI. XMB was simple, classy and just easy to use. LiveArea looks kiddy, ugly and bland.

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
Im really kinda meh towards handhelds.
To me handhelds = gaming on the go.
Which is fine except im almost never on the go.
If im not at work then im at home playing on my PC or Console.
I guess it could be something to do when i have hour long lunches at work.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 5417001]Im really kinda meh towards handhelds.
To me handhelds = gaming on the go.
Which is fine except im almost never on the go.
If im not at work then im at home playing on my PC or Console.
I guess it could be something to do when i have hour long lunches at work.[/QUOTE]

Well, since I travel for business frequently handhelds are great for me. And when I'm not traveling, and want to watch the TV when my son want's to play video games, he plays it. I've thought if the graphics where better, the screen a little larger, it had a 2nd stick for camera, that I'd be more into paying for bigger games on it. Of course they went above and beyond just this.

[QUOTE="Lethal_NFS, post: 5417009]I will get one because I like to game on the crapper. :)[/QUOTE]

Uhm... Thanks for the visual dude. That said, I have to admit that I do the same thing on my phone at work. But you won't see me hauling in my PSP.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="LfCpS3, post: 5415627]
Also knowing SONY, after 5 to 6 months a psp 2 light might be released, so i might save for that one.[/QUOTE]
Apparently you don't know Sony that well. PS3 Slim took almost 2,5 years and PSP Slim & Lite was released about 2 years later as well. You won't be getting any revisions any time soon.

Besides, PSP2 is super-slim as it is. Unless they do a PSP Go like revision, it's not going to get smaller any time soon.

The Sith

Forum Sage
Nov 15, 2007
Dallas, Texas
When a new console is release i usually buy at least 3 games. Back in 2006 i bought my launch ps3 with 3 games and extra controllers nearly spent 900 bucks. As of now the economic climate has changed so price really play an important part for me.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="Vulgotha, post: 5416967]Mobile technology is always in motion and new hardware adoption rates in that market are very high.

So "older" hardware will quickly get a discount in favor of newer, more sophisticated technology.

Sony is using beefy tech, but none of them are exceptionally "custom" or "unique"- they're PowerVR and ARM technologies which are off the shelf and being updated as we speak.[/QUOTE]

Is there also not the fact that these components are mass-produced heavily (because they are in the vast (or soon will be) majority of smart-phones and tablets) that you benefit from economies of scale?

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
I can already see the $299 price tag.

Anyway I'd like to wait a year before getting it but who knows, I might have shopping therapy cravings when it comes out.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
I already have $20 aside for this thing. Put a little away when I can now and all should be sweet by the end of the year.

[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5417356]Apparently you don't know Sony that well. PS3 Slim took almost 2,5 years and PSP Slim & Lite was released about 2 years later as well. You won't be getting any revisions any time soon.

Besides, PSP2 is super-slim as it is. Unless they do a PSP Go like revision, it's not going to get smaller any time soon.[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of the push design, probably the first thing to break. The way the system is designed right now there is very little moving parts and with everything on a solid board should make it quite strong too.

Last edited:

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5417461]I already have $20 aside for this thing. Put a little away when I can now and all should be sweet by the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

lol. Damn I can't rep with tapatalk.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="The Cage, post: 5417473]I'll just get a 3DS instead because it's better[/QUOTE]

Care to clarify why you believe it's better?

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
[QUOTE="Wasib, post: 5417419]Is there also not the fact that these components are mass-produced heavily (because they are in the vast (or soon will be) majority of smart-phones and tablets) that you benefit from economies of scale?[/QUOTE]

This is true for cost saving up front, but we're talking about cost reduction over time.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="Vulgotha, post: 5417933]This is true for cost saving up front, but we're talking about cost reduction over time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was assuming smart-phones in two-three years will start adopting some of this technology (I know Apple are going for a dual-core set-up of both the CPU and GPU in the PSP2 in their next iPhone, iPad, iTouch)...and those are millions of devices that need components...so hopefully the mass production could rub off on Sony. What do you think?

daLa

Veteran
May 22, 2006
www.myspace.com
I'm actually buying if it's 250 or less. Cause it seems pointless now to buy the 3G model and have to pay to use 3G, seems kinda dumb to me if they want to make us pay for it then give us 4G.

Jun 14, 2008
Preordered at my local Gamestop today - first one at the this particular store. They said they had it in the computer as $299 but that's just a place-holder. I'll be doing the Wi-Fi version - no need to have 3G built in when my cell phone has wireless tethering.
The only other thing I'm waiting for outside of price is about my current PSP games. I know there's no UMD drive but if I want to play them will I need to keep my current PSP? I'm assuming that I can just download the PSN purchases that I made (like Gran Turismo) to the new one without any issue...