Playstation Portable 2 - Will you buy one?

bigCman123

Dedicated Member
Jan 30, 2009
I just saw a video showing Little Big Planet, Killzone, Resistance, and Uncharted on PSP2 and they all looked amazing (very similar to their PS3 counterparts). The PSP2 while likely release in 2012 so there's a good chance I'll have a job by then. I will buy this, I'm just not sure when. This thing is my dream handheld.

Nov 22, 2005
I'll get one eventually, but they NEED TO GET UMD ONLY GAMES ON PSN ASAP. Seriously, the only UMD games I own are Crisis Core and FF Tactics: WotL, and guess what, neither are on PSN Store. Get the popular well-made games onto PSN and I'll definitely consider it.

But seriously, the power of this beast is insane and deserves to be looked at.

kidd0218

Master Poster
Oct 21, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I would get one, but not on day one. I'll just wait til I save up enough money for it and then I'll go on ahead.

I'll have enough time to save up for it until its release date.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2005
I'm curious, does anyone know why Sony hasn't put the rest of the popular/good PSP games on PSN yet? I ask this because if they don't I'll be forced to hold onto my PSP Slim.

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="SolidSnakeUS, post: 5418322]I'm curious, does anyone know why Sony hasn't put the rest of the popular/good PSP games on PSN yet? I ask this because if they don't I'll be forced to hold onto my PSP Slim.[/QUOTE]

They are working on it, but it isn't fully up to them.

I can't remember which interview it was, but there was an interview on the PSP2 where they stated that they will go back and talk to more publishers/developers about putting their games games on PSN.

The more I look at the PSP2 the more I am wanting to cancel my 3DS preorder. If the PSP2 wasn't around a year away I would have already canceled my 3DS preorder.

If that Namco Bandai game(the one from the puzzle) ends up being Tales of Graces F for the PS3 and is released soon I may just buy a few PS3 games instead of getting the 3DS.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2007
ill be getting it day one don't care for the price, i own a psp haha and its just collecting dust just like other user said above me handheld just don't get any playtime dont know why but this one looks amazing and iam a sucker for new hardware

Nov 22, 2005
[QUOTE="Ryunosuke, post: 5418333]They are working on it, but it isn't fully up to them.

I can't remember which interview it was, but there was an interview on the PSP2 where they stated that they will go back and talk to more publishers/developers about putting their games games on PSN.

The more I look at the PSP2 the more I am wanting to cancel my 3DS preorder. If the PSP2 wasn't around a year away I would have already canceled my 3DS preorder.

If that Namco Bandai game(the one from the puzzle) ends up being Tales of Graces F for the PS3 and is released soon I may just buy a few PS3 games instead of getting the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

I own Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL on UMD, and guess what, they aren't on the PSN store for the PSP, when they should be. I mean, I now have over 50 hours on CC, so yeah, I've been playing the hell out of it lately, and I would love to actually have it on the PSP2.

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="SolidSnakeUS, post: 5418356]I own Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL on UMD, and guess what, they aren't on the PSN store for the PSP, when they should be. I mean, I now have over 50 hours on CC, so yeah, I've been playing the hell out of it lately, and I would love to actually have it on the PSP2.[/QUOTE]

It is not up to Sony if Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL is put on the PSN store, it is up to Square Enix.

They may eventually appear on the PSN store since Sony is going to talk to publishers/developers about putting PSP games that were released before the PSPGO (when Sony starting to push for PSP games on PSN) on the PSN store. However, it is still completely up to SE if Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL ever make it to the PSN store or not.

If it is true that SE had some problems with Disney about publishing Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep on the PSN store it will probably never make it(for those wondering if KH:BBS will appear on PSN or not). They could change their mind so they can make some money on the game with the PSP2. I am sure we will start seeing a lot of publishes/developers start to change their stance on the PSN store now that the PSP2 has been announced.

Nov 22, 2005
Hopefully SE wakes up and puts these damn games on the PSN store. They are way behind the ball on some PSP games. Actually, does SE even have any PSP games on the store?

The Sith

Forum Sage
Nov 15, 2007
Dallas, Texas
[QUOTE="SolidSnakeUS, post: 5418366]Hopefully SE wakes up and puts these damn games on the PSN store. They are way behind the ball on some PSP games. Actually, does SE even have any PSP games on the store?[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, now would be the best time to do a next gen Kingdom Hearts for the PSP2.

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I want more detail on how flexible it'll be playing PS3 titles I have on my PS3 (remote play and how efficient it is).

Price, if it's up to $300usd here in Australia I'd buy, any more and it'll have to wait. Money is not the factor, it's value to me is.

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="SolidSnakeUS, post: 5418366]Hopefully SE wakes up and puts these damn games on the PSN store. They are way behind the ball on some PSP games. Actually, does SE even have any PSP games on the store?[/QUOTE]

Dissidia is on the PSN store and I think The 3rd Birthday is on the Japanese PSN store. Final Fantasy Type-0, Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection and Dissidia 2 will probably make it on the PSN store. Tactics Ogre is being released in February and will likely appear on the PSN store.

The main reason Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL is not on the PSN store is because they were released before the PSPGO.

As for KH:BBS I heard that Disney wanted more money from SE for them to put them game on the PSN store and SE didn't feel it was worth the extra money.

Sammo87

Superior Member
Mar 15, 2008
Have to say I'm really interested in the tech, and thanks to the original PSP, am quite into handheld gaming now - which I hadn't really been before way back until I used to play my brother's Atari Lynx way way back in the day.

The biggest issue for me is BC - it's flawed, just as the old PS3 to PS2 BC was when PS3 launched. I currently have a PSP but don't consider it worth buying any new UMD-based games as I almost want to just save the experience for the digital downloads on PSP2.

Unfortunately, two of the key games for me here are Crisis Core and Birth By Sleep. I've already beaten Crisis Core once but am not keen on Sony essentially saying that you're unable to play this game, despite offering the download service, it's absurd whatever the reason. KH is the same deal, though I may eventually just cave in and buy the UMD version - I have to say I feel like it's fairly outrageous, particularly for PSPGO owners to be screwed over so heavily by receiving a limited library of games (admittedly not THAT limited, but these are some AAA titles we're talking about, potential system sellers), so in that regard I'm a bit wary about the new console if I really won't be able to have all the old PSP games I want on the system.

That said, I most probably will get one - the winter season '11 gives me plenty of time to start saving my pennies towards it and I guess I've just gotta hope the price isn't too ridiculous. I wonder if Sony will even bother upping the ante with their PSN store releases of PSP games? That really, really is the only thing that's bothering me :( maybe they'll go with another 'Classics HD' line akin to the PS3 brand....

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="Sammo87, post: 5418708]That said, I most probably will get one - the winter season '11 gives me plenty of time to start saving my pennies towards it and I guess I've just gotta hope the price isn't too ridiculous. I wonder if Sony will even bother upping the ante with their PSN store releases of PSP games? That really, really is the only thing that's bothering me :( maybe they'll go with another 'Classics HD' line akin to the PS3 brand....[/QUOTE]

According to Sony they are. I wish I could remember where it was that I read it. I can't remember if it was an actual interview or just a site stating that Sony told them that. I just know I read it in one of the links that was about the NGP after it was announced.

As far the price, Sony keeps stating that it will be "affordable" and that they won't "go off the deep end". This is the opposite of what they were stating concerning the price of the PS3 before it was release.

Edit: Found it.

As announced at PlayStation meeting, the NGP is compatible with PSP software. PSP titles will run completely through emulation, said Hirai.

Of course, you'll only be able to use downloadable versions of PSP games. Sony is currently in negotiations to get software makers to actively release download versions of their games.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/29/hirai_ngp_details/

Last edited:

Pez_555

Master Guru
Feb 3, 2006
not for me.

its too big, and the touch panel on the back is not something i want to get accustomed to! seems quite gimmicky if you ask me.

the visuals look incredible though.

Avrum

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2006
In time I would like to, it just really depends on its price and where its software lineup will be down the road that was always a reason why I never bought my own PSP and instead just bummed off of a friends. The 3DS already has a pretty killer lineup despite its launch looking more than a bit stringly, I'll wait and see how Sony's take ends up especially since it's likely that by holiday 2011, while the PSP2 gets ready to launch in at least one territory, the 3DS will probably be starting to take off in a big way everywhere.

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
I don't get the complaints on the size or is there some other reason I am not thinking of for wanting it smaller? It is bigger than the PSP and DS Lite/DSi, but it isn't too big and is just as portable.

I think its total space is actually smaller than that of the original DS and DSi XL. The only current handheld(not including pre-DS/PSP and smartphones) that is smaller than the PSP2 in all dimensions is the PSPGo.

I can understand if someone wanted it around the size of the PSPGo, but the size difference between it and the other handheld gaming devices is not as bad as the size comparison chart makes it seem. In this gamespot video it didn't seem that bad sitting next to the PSPGo.

The only way I can see the PSP2 getting smaller is if they reduced the screen size or give it a slide-up display like the PSPGo(might be kind of hard to use the touch screen during gameplay with this design).

I personally wouldn't carry any of the current handhelds in my pocket, but for those that want to it appears the PSP2 fits just fine.

Last edited:

cpitt

Super Elite
Mar 14, 2007
www.youtube.com
I'm getting one first day, even if I have to sell my less used console for it. Can't wait to play next gen visuals in the car etc. Sony really knows how to built hardware. The only thing that worries me is that I know they'll eventually built a sleeker looking model, oh well I'll buy that too and let my girl play against me with the older model of course

Aldebaran

Could it be...I am sleeping?
Mar 24, 2009
NYC
What games exactly ?

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
[QUOTE="Ryunosuke, post: 5419132]I don't get the complaints on the size or is there some other reason I am not thinking of for wanting it smaller? It is bigger than the PSP and DS Lite/DSi, but it isn't too big and is just as portable.

I think its total space is actually smaller than that of the original DS and DSi XL. The only current handheld(not including pre-DS/PSP and smartphones) that is smaller than the PSP2 in all dimensions is the PSPGo.

I can understand if someone wanted it around the size of the PSPGo, but the size difference between it and the other handheld gaming devices is not as bad as the size comparison chart makes it seem. In this gamespot video it didn't seem that bad sitting next to the PSPGo.

The only way I can see the PSP2 getting smaller is if they reduced the screen size or give it a slide-up display like the PSPGo(might be kind of hard to use the touch screen during gameplay with this design).

I personally wouldn't carry any of the current handhelds in my pocket, but for those that want to it appears the PSP2 fits just fine.

[/QUOTE]

Everything is pocket size if your *** is big enough -Dimitri Martin

And actually, the Kotaku size comparison chart over-exaggerates the sizes. Their picture is not to scale. They've purposely made all the systems about 50% larger to make the PSP2 look too big.

D3seeker

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2008
Severn, Maryland
I might get it, thought I'm still unclear on a few thing, (if they've been said, or probably missed it) Big factors for me:

Is the screen glass or that lousy plastic/ film stuff?

Does it still use memory stick duo?

How much built-in storage will it have

And silly me, just realized technically it is(or could be) classified as a tablet (or at least I'll look at it that way so it makes u in a way for the size of the thing)

Originally Posted by Ryunosuke
I don't get the complaints on the size or is there some other reason I am not thinking of for wanting it smaller? It is bigger than the PSP and DS Lite/DSi, but it isn't too big and is just as portable.

Click this bar to view the full image.

Everything is pocket size if your *** is big enough -Dimitri Martin

And actually, the Kotaku size comparison chart over-exaggerates the sizes. Their picture is not to scale. They've purposely made all the systems about 50% larger to make the PSP2 look too big.
NO!! I could stand having to carry my PSP-1001 in the pocket, and most of my cloths have huge pockets! Portable as it's on me but you shouldnt know until I take it out and use it. But like I said, % inch screen = tablet alegedly.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2007
Your House.
It does not have inbuilt memory, you need to use properity memory cards basically, there is 2 slots, one for the games, which also stores dlc and save data onto it, and then a seperate one with music,videos and psn titles stored on it, this will both be properity *im guessing on the sort of flash hdd as being properity dont think sony would want it not to be,would lead to homebrew faster*
As long as its around £249.99 il be willing to buy it. *no 3g support model

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="Chille, post: 5419641]It does not have inbuilt memory, you need to use properity memory cards basically, there is 2 slots, one for the games, which also stores dlc and save data onto it, and then a seperate one with music,videos and psn titles stored on it, this will both be properity *im guessing on the sort of flash hdd as being properity dont think sony would want it not to be,would lead to homebrew faster*
As long as its around £249.99 il be willing to buy it. *no 3g support model[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting point. There are two doors on the edge, but the interesting thing is that they're not the same width, one is approximately 32.0mm the other is approximately 33.5mm (based on Sony websited direct shot of top edge and Sony's statement that the NGP 182.0mm wide.) Both of these are bigger than most standard flash media (20mm for Memory Stick Pro DUO, 24mm for SD, etc) Compact flash would be wider, but people have been moving away from CF w/ exception of some of the DSLR camera market - even they are moving away from it.)

The card that they showed on the video looked about as thick as an SD card, which is 2.1mm thick, and the door is about 6.8mm wide, so one side could easily support a dual slot, w/ same form factor.

Anyway, add to the fact that there isn't any obvious battery door, could one of these be to a batter door, and the other to a dual slot for memories?

I saw an interview w/ Shuhei Yoshida w/ Gamespot that did confirm 2 slots, and re-confirmed that the game card will have space for game saves and DLC and that the second slot is for a NEW proprietary format.

This is the one area I wish Sony would give up, they continue to spit out new generations of Flash Memories that only they use, and you have to buy one of the proprietary ones to use on their equipment. To be honest I feel it alienates more than it drives consumers to purchase more Sony products which is the obvious intent. I've avoided many Sony products like camera, video records, audio records, MP3 players because of this and pricing of it being in the 2x the price of SD, CF, etc for the same size and speed.

[QUOTE="D3seeker, post: 5419551]I might get it, thought I'm still unclear on a few thing, (if they've been said, or probably missed it) Big factors for me:

Is the screen glass or that lousy plastic/ film stuff?
[/Quote]

It's a capacitive type touch screen. I believe these are usually glass covered and the high resolution image of the NGP on Sony websites look very clean and smooth. As long as it's thin, durable and perfectly smooth, I'm fine with it. I'd prefer it if it was covered by Gorilla Glass (or equivalent) but if not I can put a screen protector on this if it's really smooth. I found that the imperfections of the plastic of the PSP did not allow me to do this effectively (I have a low tolerance for bubbles.) My Android is very smooth and I had to work at it to get a bubble free application of a screen protector.

Does it still use memory stick duo?
Nope - New proprietary flash media will be used for storage (not just the new proprietary game cards which also has flash)

How much built-in storage will it have
Nope - 2 card slots w/ new proprietary flash media

And silly me, just realized technically it is(or could be) classified as a tablet (or at least I'll look at it that way so it makes u in a way for the size of the thing)
I guess it could be a mini-Tablet. That said, I don't think it's going to be packed w/ e-mail tools for Gmail and MS Outlook. No details how standardize the browser will be, whether it will integrate Flash and YouTube as good as a Tablet would. I'm sure will be able to do all of these, but with what level of frustration above and beyond a SmartPhone or Tablet that has these items well integrated from Day 1.

NO!! I could stand having to carry my PSP-1001 in the pocket, and most of my cloths have huge pockets! Portable as it's on me but you shouldnt know until I take it out and use it. But like I said, % inch screen = tablet alegedly.
In theory it's pocketable, in theory PSP was pocketable, in Theory DS's were pocketable, but they're about as bad and often worse. It hasn't hampered sales. I don't think many people run around w/ these in there pocket. I usually have mine in a sleeve and toss it in my laptop backpack when on the go, or in the glove box of the car.

Last edited:

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 5419849]I saw an interview w/ Shuhei Yoshida w/ Gamespot that did confirm 2 slots, and re-confirmed that the game card will have space for game saves and DLC and that the second slot is for a NEW proprietary format.

This is the one area I wish Sony would give up, they continue to spit out new generations of Flash Memories that only they use, and you have to buy one of the proprietary ones to use on their equipment. To be honest I feel it alienates more than it drives consumers to purchase more Sony products which is the obvious intent. I've avoided many Sony products like camera, video records, audio records, MP3 players because of this and pricing of it being in the 2x the price of SD, CF, etc for the same size and speed.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing, but then I noticed that Hirai said it will also support general memory cards.

NGP will also support general memory cards, a Sony representative told Impress. Specific formats were not mentioned. The site did not make clear what "support" means.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/29/hirai_ngp_details/