Playstation Portable 2 - Will you buy one?

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Dasimpse, post: 5419100]I was sold when I saw it. Ready to pre order. Then I saw the size comparison. Bigger than a psp 1000? Sony are crazy. Will pass until the smaller model comes out.[/QUOTE]
It's slimmer than PSP-1000 (that's much more important) and only EVER SO SLIGHTLY wider than one. You probably wouldn't even notice the difference in width unless you had them side by side.

And you'll seriously have to wait for a long, loooooooooooooooooooooong time for a smaller PSP2. They've already crammed ****tons of stuff into a tiny, tiny space. It ain't gonna get smaller any time soon.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5419477]Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep comes to mind.[/QUOTE]
That's more Disney's fault than Square's, they're just not big on the whole download scene (they have some PS1 classics there, but not that many). And some of the older games like Crisis Core are not in there because... well... when it was released the whole downloadable PSP games thing hadn't really started yet. They just haven't come around releasing those in downloadable form yet. They might at some point, if they see it being profitable.

That said, in Japan they HAVE released all of their more recent games in PS Store date-to-date with retail releases (Tactics Ogre, 3rd Birthday etc.), except the already mentioned Birth By Sleep, which is really just out of their hands. So it's not too far-fetched to anticipate all of their upcoming games to be available to download, Type-0 included, UNLESS there's some technical difficulties with having dual-UMD games in downloadable form. The only other dual-UMD game apparently WASN'T released due to some problems.

Last edited:

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="Ryunosuke, post: 5419960]I thought the same thing, but then I noticed that Hirai said it will also support general memory cards.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/29/hirai_ngp_details/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the proprietary total flash memory card would be in the realm of 'general memory card' same as with Memory Stick Pro DUO. Which is a proprietary flash memory card but considered to be a 'general memory card' while the Game Card being a 'fixed pre-programmed - assumed to be encrypted - assumed to be non-readable except by a NGP + flash component for DLC/Game Save' is not a 'general memory card'.

At least that's the way I'm interpreting it, especially put together with everything else that Sony has said about it.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
I don't think Sony have ruled out internal storage for this thing yet...in fact we do not know of a number of important variables such as RAM and Chip speed. Sony are still finalizing the specification it seems.

I really really hope Sony are not stupid enough to go back to that whole proprietary media model (because that would really be a step in the wrong direction - a reminder of Sony's past)...please just add a basic SD/Mini SD slot.

Last edited:

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
PSP 2 simply MUST have internal storage OR to offer at least a ~4-8GB+ memory card bundled (proprietary or not) with every PSP2, if they want the downloadable scene to have any kind of success (I imagine they do). If not, then that's simply a lot of wasted sales potential for them and every publisher/developer whose downloadable games will be offered for it, since memory cards aren't mandatory because game saves & DLC for particular games can be saved on the game's cartridges/carts.

Seriously, with the way PSP2 is shaping up, it'd be really weird AND stupid from Sony not to have, like, at least 16GBs of internal storage space. It probably doesn't cost them that much and it would offer plenty of space for sub-100Mb PSP Minis/Suite games, larger PSN games and downloadable PSP1 games. Not offering enough space would just be shooting themselves in the foot.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
No, just the opposite, Shuhei Yoshida told Gamespot in an interview that it specifically would not have built in internal memory. Personally I don't think that's a deal killer, so long as it does ship w/ a memory card. Unfortunetly these are almost always of inadequate size. Digital Camera's, Cell Phones, MP3 players w/ an external memory option all tend to be shipped w/ undersized memories. But that's Ok, as you can go buy what you need if it's insufficient. The biggest issue w/ Sony proprietary memory is they tend to cost 2x the market value for other standard flash based memories. Give us a break already, if you're going to force us to a proprietary memory keep the markup reasonable, say 25%, not 100%.

Regarding the ALL releases to be on the store, they've already implied that it is their intent to make all of them available online.

EDIT: Changed 'gamestop' to 'gamespot' - I knew what I meant to type, but my fingers decided to type something else. Also added link to video interview

Last edited:

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5419973]It's slimmer than PSP-1000 (that's much more important) and only EVER SO SLIGHTLY wider than one. You probably wouldn't even notice the difference in width unless you had them side by side.

And you'll seriously have to wait for a long, loooooooooooooooooooooong time for a smaller PSP2. They've already crammed ****tons of stuff into a tiny, tiny space. It ain't gonna get smaller any time soon.[/QUOTE]

Yup I agree - only change we are likely to get that will mark a major shift will be a PSP Go like design. I also think the 3DS design will remain mostly the same - perhaps a revision being slightly thinner and having a larger top screen with some button adjustments. The basic design however will likely stay the same - but I guess you never know with Nintendo.

[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 5421470]No, just the opposite, Shuhei Yoshida told Gamestop in an interview that it specifically would not have built in internal memory.[/QUOTE]

Have you got a link to that?

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="Wasib, post: 5422464]
Have you got a link to that?[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamespot.com/ngp/action/uncharted/video/6287022

Specifically about 3:15-4:48 is where the storage media was discussed, at 3:44 specifically he's asked if it has internal memory. He goes on about the game card and the secondary memory card for storage of downloaded games/content/media. Later he mentions specifically that the 2nd memory for storage is proprietary.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5422633]Can't they just stick an SD HC card slot in there? :/

I also hope having your save files on a game card we arnt limited too 4 save slots like Nintnedo games.[/QUOTE]

Sure they could, but then that wouldn't be Sony now would it? Like I said earlier, that's the biggest thing that ticks me off about them. Same reason I haven't purchased anything Sony outside of PS3 and PSP in the past 15yrs.

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 5422674]Sure they could, but then that wouldn't be Sony now would it? Like I said earlier, that's the biggest thing that ticks me off about them. Same reason I haven't purchased anything Sony outside of PS3 and PSP in the past 15yrs.[/QUOTE]

You mean you haven't bought Taylor Swift's newest album??!?!

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 5422674]Sure they could, but then that wouldn't be Sony now would it? Like I said earlier, that's the biggest thing that ticks me off about them. Same reason I haven't purchased anything Sony outside of PS3 and PSP in the past 15yrs.[/QUOTE]

They have changed alot tho, maybe the guy didn't understand the question right and got confused.

Last thing I bought from SONY was a pocket HD camcorder and it has a 'Memorystick/SD HC' slot and the next thing I'm gonna buy when their back in stock is a 6" SONY eREADER which has a memory stick and a separate SD card clot.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="rbrtchng, post: 5422814]You mean you haven't bought Taylor Swift's newest album??!?![/QUOTE]

I'm with Kanye on this one ;) - Ok, I may have possibly purchased some Sony CD's in the past 15yrs and I most definitely have purchased Sony games, but I was referring to Sony equipment (Cameras, Digital Cameras, Digital SLR Camera's, AV Receivers, TVs, VCRs, DVD players, Phones, Laptops, Etc) - I'm not a fan of proprietary products, I don't buy iCrap either.

[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5422815]They have changed alot tho, maybe the guy didn't understand the question right and got confused.

Last thing I bought from SONY was a pocket HD camcorder and it has a 'Memorystick/SD HC' slot and the next thing I'm gonna buy when their back in stock is a 6" SONY eREADER which has a memory stick and a separate SD card clot.[/QUOTE]

Anything's possible, they did start changing some of these more recently w/ the loss in market share on these items. But he as well as other Sony exec's have specifically stated that the 2nd memory slot will be a new memory that Sony is developing.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 5422612]http://www.gamespot.com/ngp/action/uncharted/video/6287022

Specifically about 3:15-4:48 is where the storage media was discussed, at 3:44 specifically he's asked if it has internal memory. He goes on about the game card and the secondary memory card for storage of downloaded games/content/media. Later he mentions specifically that the 2nd memory for storage is proprietary.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Looks like he dodged the question me. Looks like Sony are still figuring out what storage capacities and storage types the NGP will launch with.

There is no doubt though that we are looking at an expandable proprietary storage card for the NGP...yikes!

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
No point in rushing out and getting something that might encounter problems or have very few good games from the start. I'll wait 6 month to a year and see if its still worth it. I waited a long time on the PSP and got some really good games for cheap after buying one a year or so ago.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="Wasib, post: 5422909]Interesting. Looks like he dodged the question me. Looks like Sony are still figuring out what storage capacities and storage types the NGP will launch with.

There is no doubt though that we are looking at an expandable proprietary storage card for the NGP...yikes![/QUOTE]

I'd say the question was dodged, but only because he didn't give a yes/no response, instead he told them would it would have. To me it translates as 'currently not planned' even if they do release w/ some internal memory, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will not be sufficient for the masses desires. I've got 16GB on my PSP and that's not sufficient IMO, toss in the camera's assume you'll be able to do HD Resolution Video Capture at a minimum and that's going to suck up some space on it's own.

Personally, I'd rather the skip the cost of the internal memory and leave it just external as I know whatever the put in there, I'm going to be at least quadrupling it. The don't want to add the cost to the bill of materials, the big games will be available in game card form. People who want to download games and do other things most likely will feel the amount of internal memory to be abysmal unless they add effectively $40-50 worth of flash, which they won't do as that would drive more consumers away.

[QUOTE="DreDayDetox, post: 5423319]sure if it has HD1080p I'll get one then[/QUOTE]

You could have just said no.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 5423773]I'd say the question was dodged, but only because he didn't give a yes/no response, instead he told them would it would have. To me it translates as 'currently not planned' even if they do release w/ some internal memory, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will not be sufficient for the masses desires. I've got 16GB on my PSP and that's not sufficient IMO, toss in the camera's assume you'll be able to do HD Resolution Video Capture at a minimum and that's going to suck up some space on it's own.

Personally, I'd rather the skip the cost of the internal memory and leave it just external as I know whatever the put in there, I'm going to be at least quadrupling it. The don't want to add the cost to the bill of materials, the big games will be available in game card form. People who want to download games and do other things most likely will feel the amount of internal memory to be abysmal unless they add effectively $40-50 worth of flash, which they won't do as that would drive more consumers away.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was thinking of that myself - save on the costs and leave out Flash Storage. But the consumer would then have to pay up for those proprietary memory sticks which could end up costing more as a total package. Ideally there should be some storage in the system (for the basics)...or they should bundle in a storage card for those videos/music/downloadable games etc. It will be interesting to see where Sony take this.