PlayStation VR has more than 100 games in the works, says Sony

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="GazzaGSi, post: 6500217]So I'm guessing it plugs into the USB or accessories port at the back?

Probably the final nail for me, console is at the other end of the room to the sofa and I don't want wires draped everywhere, I'd doubt they'd be long enough to reach my console to where I sit too.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

VR is clearly not for you then. And that isn't a bad thing. There will be many people that do not like Virtual Reality.

I never sit when using my VR setup. The PS VR will come with a box that plugs in to the PS4. The VR headset will have a wire that plugs in the box that is plugged in to the PS4. I think you will have just a single cord to deal with. Unlike the Oculus that has many cords dangling from your head.

The VR experience is unlike anything I have ever played. This leap is very much like going from an SNES to a PS1. The price will probably be around $350 at launch and eventually dropping to $199.99 shortly after. This is a device where developers will make or break VR. This is not like a gimmicky motion controller that gets old. Each VR game I have is a new experience. Being taken to a completely new location and experiencing things which feel like they are right in front of you is incredible. Every single person I have shown my VR Gear to has been blown away by it.

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6500218]VR is clearly not for you then.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that, more along the lines it doesn't suit my current setup but it won't force me to change it. I sit roughly 20-25ft away, that's gonna need a long ass wire lol

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
I'm hoping Sony offers an optional extention cord at no premium. The day we have wireless optical (laser?) 2-way transmission of audio, video and data, is the day we can retire cord for VR.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6500215]They're wired. Powered through the set-top I/O unit.[/QUOTE]
That sucks. We have wireless charging. Also when search for images there are no wires on the device, same goes for the occulus.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6500218]The VR experience is unlike anything I have ever played. This leap is very much like going from an SNES to a PS1. The price will probably be around $350 at launch and eventually dropping to $199.99 shortly after. This is a device where developers will make or break VR. This is not like a gimmicky motion controller that gets old.[/QUOTE]
That's very exciting to hear. I have yet to try out the VR experience but I think that I will most likely start with PlayStation VR, assuming it won't be too pricey.

Each VR game I have is a new experience. Being taken to a completely new location and experiencing things which feel like they are right in front of you is incredible.
I would be interested in seeing the kind of games that Japanese developers create for PlayStation VR. People have mentioned Gran Turismo or Dead or Alive Xtreme but I think that a first-person role-playing game with high-definition cel-shaded visuals from a Japanese developer like Level-5 or Square Enix would be pretty incredible as well as adding to the variety of experiences.

Last edited:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6500240]That sucks. We have wireless charging. Also when search for images there are no wires on the device, same goes for the occulus.[/QUOTE]
On the Oculus, they run the wires over top, flush with the plastic I reckon. They hang down your back.

I guess batteries wouldn't add much weight, but then you'd have to take breaks (god forbid).

Last edited:

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="GazzaGSi, post: 6500220]I wouldn't say that, more along the lines it doesn't suit my current setup but it won't force me to change it. I sit roughly 20-25ft away, that's gonna need a long ass wire lol

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
how do you .. see

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
LOL yeah it's a right back to front setup, have a projector and screen around 130" that comes down in front of the tele on the wall, sometimes I'll get closer when on the tele but it'd be difficult to install more wiring to the PS4 and have it accessible without it being a pain.

I may have to rethink the layout if I try VR and like it to the point where I'd buy a kit.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
not being cynical for the sake of it. that would be ridiculous. just gave it some thought is all...cost plus other considerations lead me to that conclusion. i'd love to be wrong and see it take off.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
My salary is getting cut in half in April, so unless I find a second source of income, PSVR isn't in the cards for a while, but when I get that money again, I'll be buying it as soon as I can. I have been waiting for decades. I just don't want Sony / Facebook / HTC to screw this up. I can't wait another 15 years for the public to be willing to give VR a shot if they botch Consumer year 1 and no one buys it.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2016
Cleveland, Ohio USA
All I can do is hope the games aren't VR exclusive. I'm blind in one eye and VR can't work for me. I'm a afraid I'm going to miss some good games because I can't use the VR and they won't make a non-VR version.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
You just won't see the 3D effect, but you can still move your head about. Which could be useful for some video games.
I am not completely blind in either eye, I just cannot focus on the same point with both eyes at the same time which causes 3D to not work in most cases. Kind of a lazy eye I think.

Last edited:

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6502677]My salary is getting cut in half in April, so unless I find a second source of income, PSVR isn't in the cards for a while, but when I get that money again, I'll be buying it as soon as I can. I have been waiting for decades. I just don't want Sony / Facebook / HTC to screw this up. I can't wait another 15 years for the public to be willing to give VR a shot if they botch Consumer year 1 and no one buys it.[/QUOTE]
I have some faith in Sony after looking at the lineup. I think they have a good shot.

Sent from my N9100 using Tapatalk

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Rayder, post: 6502682]All I can do is hope the games aren't VR exclusive. I'm blind in one eye and VR can't work for me. I'm a afraid I'm going to miss some good games because I can't use the VR and they won't make a non-VR version.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure games that can be made for non-vr purposes will still be made.

[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6502677]My salary is getting cut in half in April, so unless I find a second source of income, PSVR isn't in the cards for a while, but when I get that money again, I'll be buying it as soon as I can. I have been waiting for decades. I just don't want Sony / Facebook / HTC to screw this up. I can't wait another 15 years for the public to be willing to give VR a shot if they botch Consumer year 1 and no one buys it.[/QUOTE]

VR wasn't home electronics-ready 15 years ago anyway.

[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6500601]Just don't buy a new smart phone, keep the one you have now for another year at least and you have the money to burn on this or occulus.[/QUOTE]

Ummm...that's kind of assuming that everybody is in the same financial boat that you are, isn't it?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Rayder, post: 6502682]All I can do is hope the games aren't VR exclusive. I'm blind in one eye and VR can't work for me. I'm a afraid I'm going to miss some good games because I can't use the VR and they won't make a non-VR version.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm, it will not surprise me if there are many games exclusive to the Playstation VR. Especially if the games are displayed as 2 separate images right off the disc.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6502712]I'm sure games that can be made for non-vr purposes will still be made.

VR wasn't home electronics-ready 15 years ago anyway.[/QUOTE]

There's some truth to that, but VR wouldn't be such a dirty word to so many people if Virtual Boy had even been a color other than green, and they'd had a head mount instead of that stupid stand. It wouldn't have been real VR, but it would have been a nifty distraction and possibly an OK Portable-ish system in its own right, and we'd have fewer detractors. In other words, VR was set back by a few stupid mistakes on Nintendo's part, and while the tech is much better now, I can see that happening again. Maybe not 15 years, but a major misstep by those 3 companies could push VR back another half a decade or more.

VR does not require 2 eyes. It won't be 3d, but neither is real life if you only have 1 eye. You get perspective from movement, and THAT is what VR provides, and that's why it's not the same as 3dTV. The aforementioned Virtual Boy would have been worthless, even if the 2 problems I mentioned were fixed, without 3d, but REAL VR is not. The 3d is not what creates the immersion. It's the ability to shift perspective.

Last edited:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
According to the CEO, the large-scale retailer was “preparing for the launch of VR products,” and that GameStop will “launch the Sony product this fall.” He also said the company was in “discussion” with Oculus and HTC Vive.

Sony has yet to announce a firm release date and price point for PlayStation VR.

Raines dropped the release window during an appearance on Fox News’ Mornings with Maria, where he discussed how doing one’s taxes would be more “fun” if it were more like a video game.

Sorry, Raines. It still wouldn’t be fun. Especially if you owe money.

During his appearance he quoted investment banking and securities firm Goldman Sachs’s prediction that the VR market will be worth $80 billion by 2025. Raines also said previously he believes Sony’s VR offering will have a leg up on the competition due to the amount of content in the works.

Hit the video at the 2:54 mark to hear what he has to say about VR.

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm all for them supporting PS VR but where's our games on the PS4 Sony? We're getting like 1-2 exclusives a year now and usually one of those is a remaster. Step it up.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="TDbank24, post: 6503445]I'm all for them supporting PS VR but where's our games on the PS4 Sony? We're getting like 1-2 exclusives a year now and usually one of those is a remaster. Step it up.[/QUOTE]

If this were any other generation, I'd agree with you. The rate of exclusive releases on the PS4 would be abysmal, but I have shifted pretty much 100% to VR, and even non-exclusive games with a complete setup of 800 bucks (Console, PSVR at 400, game) is great because that's a crapton better than 1650 (Oculus ready PC when I currently only have a non-oculus ready laptop, the Oculus, and a game). Technically my complete setup is 450, since I already have the PS4, but I'm talking about people who don't. Also, I already have my first VR compatible game (Among the Sleep).

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6504414]If this were any other generation, I'd agree with you. The rate of exclusive releases on the PS4 would be abysmal, but I have shifted pretty much 100% to VR, and even non-exclusive games with a complete setup of 800 bucks (Console, PSVR at 400, game) is great because that's a crapton better than 1650 (Oculus ready PC when I currently only have a non-oculus ready laptop, the Oculus, and a game). Technically my complete setup is 450, since I already have the PS4, but I'm talking about people who don't. Also, I already have my first VR compatible game (Among the Sleep).[/QUOTE]

So you are saying, it is ok for Sony to ignore majority(probably) of their people who has zero interest in VR? That does not sound right one bit.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6504416]So you are saying, it is ok for Sony to ignore majority(probably) of their people who has zero interest in VR? That does not sound right one bit.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure it's a majority that have zero interest, firstly. Secondly, I looked up the exclusive list on Wikipedia, and it's actually quite large (though WiiU actually has the largest, Xbone has the fewest) in the end, but my sentiment stands.

As someone who has been waiting for a long time for VR, I can't say I really feel sorry for the people who are just not into it. The ones who just doubt it or don't understand it and just think it's just 3dTV again (when, as I said, you don't even need stereoscopic vision to have real VR, you just need the ability to turn your head and, with OR and PSVR, move it around). Sony is putting their weight into something that may very well be the future. That's not to say more "traditional" games just disappear, nor should they, but Sony is not doing bad with what they have.

Last edited:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Yea, majorty is the waiting guys, not hardcores. as a side note, I as a hardcore, will also wait for it, since I was early addapter in all previous accesorries and all of them failed, I am gonna wait this time. I am sure there are likes me alot out there.

There are two big guys out there (nintendo and MS) that lost a huge marketshare atm. They are already planing for their next big thing. There are bazzillion people out there who start to hate sony's ps+ mandatory for online and has almost 0 other valid point except it.
Remember last gen when MS focusing on shooter folks when Sony has lots of exclusives huge varienty of genres, which lead them current success (also MS and nintendo's failures help this too ). If Sony feels safe and thinks that he can ignore the others, I hope them try. Currently waiting for NX, it won't be hard to change the platform this time.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
Most of the PSVR games aren't even exclusive to VR, so if you already have a PS4 and most of the games you want are multiplatform (and, as I said, MS has way fewer exclusives than Sony) why is this even an issue? I, on the other hand, want to see not necessarily PSVR succeed, but VR in general, so friends and acquaintances will all be getting introduced to this because I have been waiting too long for this stuff for doubters and waiters to ruin it for me.

Going NX (which sounds amazing, by the way, if it lives up to the rumors) isn't going to solve the problem of the shifting landscape of gaming, though. The NX is part of that and games aren't ever going to be the same. If you want things that are pretty much the same as they were last gen, that's what the Xbone is for.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Almost all MS exclusives are large triple a titles that scored very well. Most of the PS4 exclusives are casual small indie titles. That is what these guys are talking about.
A lot of those exclusives end up on this ps plus list of free games, that should give you a fair idea of how people feel about them.

Sony themselves have actually funded the least amount of triple a retail games this gen, and thats by quite a large margin.

People do take note of these things, its all well and good pushing indies out the door, but actually funding triple a titles is what people want to see from Sony.

Slipping them on to the ps plus list a year or two after launch is not a bad idea either.
Would it really cost Sony anything to put The Order on this list now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6504433]Almost all MS exclusives are large triple a titles that scored very well. Most of the PS4 exclusives are casual small indie titles. That is what these guys are talking about.
A lot of those exclusives end up on this ps plus list of free games, that should give you a fair idea of how people feel about them.

Sony themselves have actually funded the least amount of triple a retail games this gen, and thats by quite a large margin.

People do take note of these things, its all well and good pushing indies out the door, but actually funding triple a titles is what people want to see from Sony.

Slipping them on to the ps plus list a year or two after launch is not a bad idea either.
Would it really cost Sony anything to put The Order on this list now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Ok. Let me put this another way. This thread is about VR. A lot of us are excited for it. It has little to do with your complaint. It's something new a lot of people are wanting to see. Why the hell bother bitching about that other problem in this thread? I guess you feel the VR thing is getting in the way...

I'm not happy with the pre-VR state of the gaming industry in general. I'd love to see more pretty, cinematic games... Things that let me show off my pretty little white box. But don't try to pretend it's just Sony deviating from this. Let's look at the exclusives list, and for the sake of simplicity I'll use your term "indie" to refer to what I assume you mean: Smaller games made with lower budgets.

Ace Combat 7: Not an indie.
Bloodbourne: Not an indie
Deep Down: Not an indie, but it's capcom so I doubt it's truly exclusive.
Detroit: Not an indie
Disgaea 5: Not an indie, though it's cartoony and not exactly a pixel pumping NXT GN experience.
Dreams: not indie
Gran Turismo 7 + Sport: Not indies
Infamous Second Son + First light: Not indies
Killzone: Not an indie
Because the "ZOMG AAA" crowd hates it so much, I won't include Knack in this list, but it was a bit of a technical marvel if not necessarily pretty or deep.
Last Guardian: Not indie
Can't tell if Masterfall is an indie (by that I mean not a super pretty TPS or FPS or something, not an actual indie)
Ni no Kuni II: not an indie
Ni Oh: Not an indie
Nier Automata: Not an indie
Ratchet and Clank: Not an indie, though I'm sure you probably hate it in the same way, so fine.
Yakuza Ishin: Not an indie
Tearaway: Not an indie, but both charming enough to be one and a rerelease of a Vita game, so... Take this off too.
Uncharted 4: Not an freaking indie
Wild: Not an indie (and the first I've heard of it)
Yakuza 6
Yakuza 0

So that's 18 good options for exclusives that aren't smaller downloadables, not counting the ones I took off to be conservative and the ones that are tied together (like Gran Turismo 7 and Sport, or Infamous Second Son and First Light) and I almost forgot that I also intentionally left off the Order because it was so universally reviled.

What about Xbone? 18 on the list. Period. Like, I didn't bother to check which ones were indies, but a quick glance showed me at least 2 of them. There are a lot more exclusives total on Sony's list, those "indies"

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6504472]Ok. Let me put this another way. This thread is about VR. A lot of us are excited for it. It has little to do with your complaint. It's something new a lot of people are wanting to see. Why the hell bother $#@!ing about that other problem in this thread? I guess you feel the VR thing is getting in the way... [/quote]
Hey it wasn't my complaint, and your the one who started defending and responding to others.
I'm not happy with the pre-VR state of the gaming industry in general. I'd love to see more pretty, cinematic games... Things that let me show off my pretty little white box. But don't try to pretend it's just Sony deviating from this. Let's look at the exclusives list, and for the sake of simplicity I'll use your term "indie" to refer to what I assume you mean: Smaller games made with lower budgets.

Ace Combat 7: Not an indie.
Bloodbourne: Not an indie
Deep Down: Not an indie, but it's capcom so I doubt it's truly exclusive.
Detroit: Not an indie
Disgaea 5: Not an indie, though it's cartoony and not exactly a pixel pumping NXT GN experience.
Dreams: not indie
Gran Turismo 7 + Sport: Not indies
Infamous Second Son + First light: Not indies
Killzone: Not an indie
Because the "ZOMG AAA" crowd hates it so much, I won't include Knack in this list, but it was a bit of a technical marvel if not necessarily pretty or deep.
Last Guardian: Not indie
Can't tell if Masterfall is an indie (by that I mean not a super pretty TPS or FPS or something, not an actual indie)
Ni no Kuni II: not an indie
Ni Oh: Not an indie
Nier Automata: Not an indie
Ratchet and Clank: Not an indie, though I'm sure you probably hate it in the same way, so fine.
Yakuza Ishin: Not an indie
Tearaway: Not an indie, but both charming enough to be one and a rerelease of a Vita game, so... Take this off too.
Uncharted 4: Not an freaking indie
Wild: Not an indie (and the first I've heard of it)
Yakuza 6
Yakuza 0

So that's 18 good options for exclusives that aren't smaller downloadables, not counting the ones I took off to be conservative and the ones that are tied together (like Gran Turismo 7 and Sport, or Infamous Second Son and First Light) and I almost forgot that I also intentionally left off the Order because it was so universally reviled.

What about Xbone? 18 on the list. Period. Like, I didn't bother to check which ones were indies, but a quick glance showed me at least 2 of them. There are a lot more exclusives total on Sony's list, those "indies"
Yeah again, re-read what you wrote and tag the titles got because Sony actually initiated funded and were published by Sony.
I tag about half. And only three of those have come out (Im happy to count Knack and Order) so that's 6. They have also re-released A LOT of ports to the PS4.

I understand what Sony is doing, they have not a huge amount in the bank and they are trying to diversfiy at the same time.
The are targeting a niche market and (by default) will get a lot of these VR games as VR exclusives because short of PC no one is going to be operating in this space.

Last edited:

sneezymarble

Dedicated Member
Jan 19, 2008
[QUOTE="SkarEffect, post: 6500137]I guess so, I will not pay more than at least $250 for a gimmick that will probably die when ps5 launches.[/QUOTE]

What's your VR experience? DK1, DK2, CV, Vive, PSVR? Just curious.