PlayStation VR has more than 100 games in the works, says Sony

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6504510]Yeah again, re-read what you wrote and tag the titles got because Sony actually initiated funded and were published by Sony.[/QUOTE]

Non Sequitur, as is mentioning the rereleases, though I suppose I accidentally included 2 on there (Resident Evil 0 and 4). The fact that Sony funded or published them doesn't matter, as the complaint was not enough AAA games. In reality, by the end of 2016, there will be more AAA games on PS4 than on Xbone. Not going to compare it to WiiU, because that is a whole other beast, but if you wanted big console games like we got last gen on PS3 / 360, you cannot tell me that MS has a better offering than Sony. They both have rather abysmal offerings in that regard, and WiiU puts a lot of focus on the second screen the same way Wii put focus on the Wiimote. All I'm saying is don't blame Sony for stuff not going the way you'd like. Hell, even the Online stuff was them playing follow the leader (that leader being MS) to recoup some losses.

All I'm saying is that VR has been my ultimate gaming goal since I was 7 years old, so I'm not gonna complain with games like Adrift, London Heist, Freaking Battlezone (honestly, for all the retro fever of the past 10 years or so, this looks pretty awesome), Ark Survival, Eve Valkyrie, Wayward Sky coming my way. With an Oculus version of Minecraft coming, maybe 4J studios will do a trimmed down (a la the PS3 version) of a VR Minecraft for PS4, too, which I would absolutely love. Can you imagine if something you know you're going to love and have been waiting for for over half of your life just gets dismissive BS like "It's just 3d TV again" and "Where are the real games?"

Also, Exclusives matter far less this gen than they did last gen, at least for Sony Fans, because Sony is winning AND the PS4 will run 90% of multiplat games better than the Xbone, so I'm not losing anything by Sony not securing as many exclusives the way I was last gen. So rather than looking at exclusives, I'm looking at the 90% of games that are multi-plat and am perfectly happy with that.

Last edited:

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
PS Eye - '200 hundred games in the works' - result? Big flop

PS3 Move - jumping on the Ninty bandwagon - result? Dead and forgotten

Kinect - superfluous unwanted technology that makes you look like a wanker when playing - result? Hated and a flop for game playing

3D games - pointless technology that induced motion sickness in some people and boredom in others - result? Dead

PS VR - 'hundreds of games in the works' which will probably equate to a deluge of walking around petting zoos type games and survival horrors that will quickly wear thin - result? Big flop in the making. Just the next temporary fad

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Just saw Drive (2011) with Cardboard and a FullHD Oled device. The lenses are quite straining, but MAN.. It's really something.

[QUOTE="K2D, post: 0]What I did was I dl'ed the film in 720p and played it on an app that simply doubles the image for each eye. In my case I used "AAA VR cinema". It let me adjust the picture size, so I set it to 120 inches. Besides a little eye strain, it worked like a charm.

I bet it would've worked even better with a little warp effect. That, and a 4K screen. Not that I'll ever need a 4K phone. FOV- rendering (or warping) would have served the same purpose.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="TidalPhoenix, post: 6505361]PS Eye - '200 hundred games in the works' - result? Big flop

[/QUOTE]

I'm getting tired of saying THIS, too, but the Move was in prototype before the Wii came out. They were testing it and trying to figure out what to do with it back in 2002. Also, the Move isn't dead. It will be the primary form of control for PSVR games, at least until more advanced controls hit for PS5. Oh, and what 200 games for PS Eye? When was the excitement for the Camera even CLOSE to what it is for VR? Also, I'm kind of jumping all over the place here, but did you ever try Kung Fu Live (either the PS Eye version or the Kinect version)? Because that was actually pretty fun, but the Eye is just a webcam.

That being said, your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. Motion controls were actually pretty game changing but they were incomplete. Motion controls were really paving the way for the current generation of VR. They are complements to VR and go hand in hand. VR is a completely new experience that cannot be replicated with anything else. VR has been on its way for at least 25 years. Even if THIS ended up being a misfire, VR would be THE THING at some point because it's just waiting for the tech to catch up. To be honest, I think the tech caught up with Oculus Rift DK1, and with ORCV, PSVR, and Vive, VR's time has come.

Last edited:

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
I think VR will take off this time, as long as proper game support is there.

I won't be buying a PSVR but I think the low cost of entry compared to PC VR solutions will really help it get mass market appeal which will only further help with the PC VR so it's in everyone interest that PSVR is somewhat successful

TapaTalking from my Mind.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
with current pricing of VR's I think PS VR has the best chance. The other 2 are radiculus. Going with 800€, I don't see much owning HTC's VR.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="TidalPhoenix, post: 6505361]PS Eye - '200 hundred games in the works' - result? Big flop

Kinect - superfluous unwanted technology that makes you look like a wanker when playing - result? Hated and a flop for game playing

3D games - pointless technology that induced motion sickness in some people and boredom in others - result? Dead

PS VR - 'hundreds of games in the works' which will probably equate to a deluge of walking around petting zoos type games and survival horrors that will quickly wear thin - result? Big flop in the making. Just the next temporary fad[/QUOTE]
as far as VR, we're not there yet, I think until we have a very accessible way to do VR (not some giant goggles) that are durable, it's not going to be like the Wii. but as far as the tech itself, i think it's not going to be a gimmick like the previous motion controls...because motion controls are lame, VR is not.

they're not just petting zoo games btw, i thought the one where you are stuck in space seems really interesting. i would not write off VR just yet. it's a medium that's never truly going to go away and will continue to evolve.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6505381]with current pricing of VR's I think PS VR has the best chance. The other 2 are radiculus. Going with 800€, I don't see much owning HTC's VR.[/QUOTE]

As long as the games are there then I'll be quite surprised that if by the end of the year I don't own a HTC Vive. To me it seems the best headset out and it's not much more (when considering the price of these things anyway) than the Rift but far superior.

Personally, I don't think the PSVR will be even half as good as the Rift or Vive but what it has over the other 2 is that it has the ability to tempt Joe Public who might already have a PS4 under the TV to try it out. The more people that get behind the technology the better its (VR) chances of renaming in the market

It's an exciting time, that's for sure.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
PSVR is perfect for me, because I don't know how I'll enjoy either of the headsets, or how long they'll stay relevant. It'll be a way of dipping my toes. And I'm having doubts whether straight up QHD will be enough.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6505386]PSVR is perfect for me, because I don't know how I'll enjoy either of the headsets, or how long they'll stay relevant. It'll be a way of dipping my toes. And I'm having doubts whether straight up QHD will be enough.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. You could probably get a PS4 and a PSVR for the price of just the HTC Vive, not even the computer you need. It's a much more affordable way to test the waters

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006

PS VR - 'hundreds of games in the works' which will probably equate to a deluge of walking around petting zoos type games and survival horrors that will quickly wear thin - result? Big flop in the making. Just the next temporary fad[/QUOTE]
That's a really negative outlook. But don't fall into the trap of comparing 3D with VR. 3D lacks the very thing that makes VR special - head tracking and immersive Field of View.

Last edited:

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6505395]What's good about Rift and Vive that PSVR doesn't have?[/QUOTE]

The hardware to back it up, firstly. This generations hardware hasn't really been pumping out the 1080/60fps games and that's what you need as a minimum. I don't see any graphical powerhouse games coming out on the PSVR.

and Secondly the resolution is higher on both the Vive and Rift, I think they are aiming for 1200x1080 per eye vs the 960x1080 of the PSVR.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Sony have said the PSVR will be around the price of a new console so let's say £350. Do I think a PS4 and a £350 VR solution is going to be a better overall experience than what my current PC could do assuming I had a Vive. Not even close.

I'm not saying the PSVR is going to be crap. It's going to be great, in fact I would go as far as to say it's the most important out of the three as it stands the best chance to get everyday people believing in VR. I just know that, as a PC Gamer, there are better alternatives out there but which, obviously, come with a higher cost.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
If loads of people get motion sickness from it then no matter how freakin cool the tech is it will fail. Let's see what happens over the next year or so.

Also, £350 for an add-on. That's not the console demographic. Sure hardcore gamers will fork out for it, but if you want this to sell like hot cakes and reclaim the R&D costs and then turn a profit you need to make it atttractive to the mass market, non-hardcore gamers, those who bought a console because they can't justify spending hundreds and hundreds on gaming rigs.

I predict PS VR will not be the success many of you think it will.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="TidalPhoenix, post: 6505421]If loads of people get motion sickness from it then no matter how freakin cool the tech is it will fail. Let's see what happens over the next year or so.

Also, £350 for an add-on. That's not the console demographic. Sure hardcore gamers will fork out for it, but if you want this to sell like hot cakes and reclaim the R&D costs and then turn a profit you need to make it atttractive to the mass market, non-hardcore gamers, those who bought a console because they can't justify spending hundreds and hundreds on gaming rigs.

I predict PS VR will not be the success many of you think it will.[/QUOTE]
And alcohol gives you hangovers - you don't see that stopping anyone?

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6505422]And alcohol gives you hangovers - you don't see that stopping anyone?[/QUOTE]A hangover is the side effect of being drunk that happens many hours later.

Alcohol gets you drunk which is the goal of most that consume it, people do not drink to get a hangover and gamers don't game to get motion sickness.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6505424]A hangover is the side effect of being drunk that happens many hours later.

Alcohol gets you drunk which is the goal of most that consume it, people do not drink to get a hangover and gamers don't game to get motion sickness.[/QUOTE]

Despite my comment being half serious half jest, I thought your retort missed the mark entirely.

What was even the point of your second paragraph?

Gamers don't game to get motion sickness, but I don't think to many will get motion sick. I don't it will deter that many people. I -do- think people will get acclimatized.

And I certainly think PSVR players will have the longest and most comfortable VR sessions.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
It is a product none of us experienced fully. Being absolute negative or positive is plain wrong. Most we have the same worries and expects from VR. The thread is hot as always tho :lol:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
It certainly is a positive having experience with the other headsets. I'll argue pros and cons of all the headsets with anyone familiar to them. But I'll also fight those that haven't - tooth and nail. Cheers ;)

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
Doesn't matter how much has been invested - it's only here to stay if it sells. I would agree that the amount of investment gives an indication of the companies' level of commitment, but it's not a guarantee of success or longevity

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6505413]The hardware to back it up, firstly. This generations hardware hasn't really been pumping out the 1080/60fps games and that's what you need as a minimum. I don't see any graphical powerhouse games coming out on the PSVR.

and Secondly the resolution is higher on both the Vive and Rift, I think they are aiming for 1200x1080 per eye vs the 960x1080 of the PSVR.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Sony have said the PSVR will be around the price of a new console so let's say £350. Do I think a PS4 and a £350 VR solution is going to be a better overall experience than what my current PC could do assuming I had a Vive. Not even close.

I'm not saying the PSVR is going to be crap. It's going to be great, in fact I would go as far as to say it's the most important out of the three as it stands the best chance to get everyday people believing in VR. I just know that, as a PC Gamer, there are better alternatives out there but which, obviously, come with a higher cost.[/QUOTE]what powerhouse games coming for PC are built for VR? i thought PSVR was 1080p.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Alan Wake
Aliens – Colonial Marines
Alien Isolation
Alice Madness Returns
American McGee’s Alice
Amnesia
Amnesia – A Machine for Pigs
Antichamber
ArmA 2
ArmA 3
Assassins Creed
Assassins Creed 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Batman Arkham Origins
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Battlefield: Hardline
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Bioshock Infinite
Black Mesa Source
Borderlands
Borderlands 2
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Brothers – A Tale of Two Sons
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Chivalry – Medieval Warefare
Clive Barkers Jericho
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Crysis
Crysis 2
Crysis 3
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Dark Souls
Dark Souls II
Darksiders
Darksiders II
Dead Island
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3
Deadfall Adventures
Dear Esther
Deus Ex – Human Revolution
Diablo III
Dirt 2
Dirt 3
Dishonored
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age II
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Drakensang: River of Time
Duke Nukem Forever
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (with DX9 mod)
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Elder Scrolls Online
Evolve
Formula 1 2011
Formula 1 2012
Formula 1 2013
Formula 1 2014
Fable Anniversary
Fallout 3
Fallout 4
Fallout New Vegas
Far Cry
Far Cry 3
Far Cry 3 – Blood Dragon
Far Cry 4
F.E.A.R
F.E.A.R 2
F.E.A.R 3
Flight Simulator X
Gothic 3
GRID
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto V
Half Life 2
Halo
Heavy Metal FAKK 2
Hard Reset[/TD]
[TD]Gone Home
I Am Alive
LA Noire
Left 4 Dead 2
Legend of Grimrock
Legend of Grimrock II
Lego: Lord of the Rings
Life Is Strange
Mafia 2
Mount and Blade: Warband
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Max Payne 3
Metro 2033
Metro 2033 Redux
Metro Last Light
Metro Last Light Redux
Miasmata
Might & Magic: Heroes VI
Mirrors Edge
Mortal Combat X
Myst V
NaissenceE
Need for Speed Most Wanted [2005]
Need for Speed Shift 2
Need for Speed: Rivals
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Operation Flashpoint: Red River
Outlast
Payday 2
Planetside 2
Portal
Portal 2
Q.U.B.E.
Quake (GLQuake)
Quake II
Quake III
Race Driver GRID
Retrovirus
Return to Castle Wolfenstein [2001]
rFactor
rFactor 2
Resident Evil/Biohazard 4
Resident Evil/Biohazard Revelations
Resident Evil/Biohazard Revelations 2
Risen
Risen 2: Dark Waters
Risen 3: Titan Lords
Serious Sam 3: BFE
Shadow Warrior [2013]
Slender
Space Engineers
Splinter Cell 3
Splinter Cell Blacklist
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost Alpha
Star Trek [2012]
Star Trek Voyager – Elite Force
Star Wars – Jedi Knight II – Jedi Outcast
Star Wars – Knights of the Old Republic
Starship Troopers
State of Decay
System Shock 2 (with DX9 mod)
Take On Helicopters
The Ball
The Darkness II
The Long Dark
The Old City: Leviathan
The Stanley Parable
The Talos Principle
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
The Witcher 3
Thief [2014]
Tomb Raider [2012]
Tomb Raider Underworld
Tomb Raider Anniversay
Trine
Trine 2
Vampire: Redemption
Venetica
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Woolfe – The Redhood Diaries
World of Warcraft
X3
XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT]Source

[/spoiler]

Now I know Fallout 4 has supported I'm almost tempted to get one now :lol:

[video=youtube;7d1Hv8EJ3zA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d1Hv8EJ3zA[/video]

I need it!!

Last edited:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="TidalPhoenix, post: 6505443]Doesn't matter how much has been invested - it's only here to stay if it sells. I would agree that the amount of investment gives an indication of the companies' level of commitment, but it's not a guarantee of success or longevity[/QUOTE]
A VR product migth certainly fail, but VR as a whole I have quite the difficulty imagining failing or turning into a fad at this point.

Especially Sony, which has a technology and entertainment hungry userbase of; everywhere from 8 million hardcore fans, to; historically, hundreds of million gaming consumers.

There is a certain X factor about VR - which is versatility. You can dabble and experiment with it on your own. At one point, you'll want a user friendly package that does what cardboard or gear can't, or what you didn't know was possible.

Sorry for the rant, I have many thoughts on VR, some that I have yet to reflect over, myself.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
The problem with VR is, you have 5 senses, and for VR to truley work you need to engage those 5 senses (at least 3 anyway).
This current VR only engages 2 of them.

Frankly Hol lens is more likely to take of short term, because it not rying to fool you into thinking your somewhere completely different, although the entertainment value is probably not really huge.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Between mobile VR and fully fledged headsets, Holo lense offer quite little for what is a hefty price. Don't know where it will lead in the business sector, but I don't see it ever becoming bigger than VR for consumers.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Depends on the applications they use, but for example, it easily does what you did regarding watching a movie, except you make it look like its hanging on you wall, or in the kitchen.

Its more of something that is going to be useful (possibly) in the sames way you phone is useful, but I cant really see you playing games on it all that much.

Although there is this...

[video=youtube;uQeOYi3Be5Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQeOYi3Be5Y[/video]

ick...

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6505467]A VR product migth certainly fail, but VR as a whole I have quite the difficulty imagining failing or turning into a fad at this point.

Especially Sony, which has a technology and entertainment hungry userbase of; everywhere from 8 million hardcore fans, to; historically, hundreds of million gaming consumers.

There is a certain X factor about VR - which is versatility. You can dabble and experiment with it on your own. At one point, you'll want a user friendly package that does what cardboard or gear can't, or what you didn't know was possible.

Sorry for the rant, I have many thoughts on VR, some that I have yet to reflect over, myself.[/QUOTE]

What rant?

I see even less of a success in the film industry. People like to watch films together, discussing plots and twists and drinking wine, beer while eating nibbles. Not cocoon themselves away from each other in what is akin to their own private little screening. It destroys one of the best parts of movie watching, the social aspect. It will be like 3D, everybody will want to try it but the masses will eventually revert to their traditional mode for watching.