PlayStation VR has more than 100 games in the works, says Sony

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I really do not like the idea of being totally disconnected from things going on around me with a screen strapped to my face.

But I do look forward to all the funny videos that this thing is going to create.

[video=youtube;uT_b5gqCG_c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT_b5gqCG_c[/video]

[video=youtube;INDKNA7kXoo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INDKNA7kXoo[/video]

Yeah....have fun with that guys. And make sure you put away any sharp objects in the room.....that you can no longer see. :p

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
i personally wonder how long it'll be before someone has a heart attack from VR.
Not to down the mood a bunch and make it a bad thing, not at all :lol:

But seeing how VR can feel véry real and there's bound to be people who'll test it without realising the possible consequences (if they have a bad health/heart).
The fact is that even though VR is a beautiful thing, I do feel like there should be quite a few warnings to come with the use of these devices and so far I haven't seen any warnings honestly...

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6505491]@Christopher: The time is now to outfit our houses with grow ass 'baby jumpers'.[/QUOTE]

I think you just discovered a new VR accessory market. :D

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Alan Wake
Aliens – Colonial Marines
Alien Isolation
Alice Madness Returns
American McGee’s Alice
Amnesia
Amnesia – A Machine for Pigs
Antichamber
ArmA 2
ArmA 3
Assassins Creed
Assassins Creed 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Batman Arkham Origins
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Battlefield: Hardline
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Bioshock Infinite
Black Mesa Source
Borderlands
Borderlands 2
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Brothers – A Tale of Two Sons
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Chivalry – Medieval Warefare
Clive Barkers Jericho
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Crysis
Crysis 2
Crysis 3
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Dark Souls
Dark Souls II
Darksiders
Darksiders II
Dead Island
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3
Deadfall Adventures
Dear Esther
Deus Ex – Human Revolution
Diablo III
Dirt 2
Dirt 3
Dishonored
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age II
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Drakensang: River of Time
Duke Nukem Forever
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (with DX9 mod)
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Elder Scrolls Online
Evolve
Formula 1 2011
Formula 1 2012
Formula 1 2013
Formula 1 2014
Fable Anniversary
Fallout 3
Fallout 4
Fallout New Vegas
Far Cry
Far Cry 3
Far Cry 3 – Blood Dragon
Far Cry 4
F.E.A.R
F.E.A.R 2
F.E.A.R 3
Flight Simulator X
Gothic 3
GRID
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto V
Half Life 2
Halo
Heavy Metal FAKK 2
Hard Reset[/TD]
[TD]Gone Home
I Am Alive
LA Noire
Left 4 Dead 2
Legend of Grimrock
Legend of Grimrock II
Lego: Lord of the Rings
Life Is Strange
Mafia 2
Mount and Blade: Warband
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Max Payne 3
Metro 2033
Metro 2033 Redux
Metro Last Light
Metro Last Light Redux
Miasmata
Might & Magic: Heroes VI
Mirrors Edge
Mortal Combat X
Myst V
NaissenceE
Need for Speed Most Wanted [2005]
Need for Speed Shift 2
Need for Speed: Rivals
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Operation Flashpoint: Red River
Outlast
Payday 2
Planetside 2
Portal
Portal 2
Q.U.B.E.
Quake (GLQuake)
Quake II
Quake III
Race Driver GRID
Retrovirus
Return to Castle Wolfenstein [2001]
rFactor
rFactor 2
Resident Evil/Biohazard 4
Resident Evil/Biohazard Revelations
Resident Evil/Biohazard Revelations 2
Risen
Risen 2: Dark Waters
Risen 3: Titan Lords
Serious Sam 3: BFE
Shadow Warrior [2013]
Slender
Space Engineers
Splinter Cell 3
Splinter Cell Blacklist
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost Alpha
Star Trek [2012]
Star Trek Voyager – Elite Force
Star Wars – Jedi Knight II – Jedi Outcast
Star Wars – Knights of the Old Republic
Starship Troopers
State of Decay
System Shock 2 (with DX9 mod)
Take On Helicopters
The Ball
The Darkness II
The Long Dark
The Old City: Leviathan
The Stanley Parable
The Talos Principle
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
The Witcher 3
Thief [2014]
Tomb Raider [2012]
Tomb Raider Underworld
Tomb Raider Anniversay
Trine
Trine 2
Vampire: Redemption
Venetica
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Woolfe – The Redhood Diaries
World of Warcraft
X3
XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT]Source

[/spoiler]

Now I know Fallout 4 has supported I'm almost tempted to get one now :lol:

[video=youtube;7d1Hv8EJ3zA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d1Hv8EJ3zA[/video]

I need it!!
how well does it work as an afterthought patch though. it's how they did with PS Move. yeah KZ3 had it but it freaking sucked. you have to design the games around VR to fully experience it. most of these games ain't gonna be high production ones.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6505490]i personally wonder how long it'll be before someone has a heart attack from VR.
Not to down the mood a bunch and make it a bad thing, not at all :lol:

But seeing how VR can feel véry real and there's bound to be people who'll test it without realising the possible consequences (if they have a bad health/heart).
The fact is that even though VR is a beautiful thing, I do feel like there should be quite a few warnings to come with the use of these devices and so far I haven't seen any warnings honestly...[/QUOTE]

And most won't have a "spotter" like the folks in the videos. Bad things will happen.

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6505476]The problem with VR is, you have 5 senses, and for VR to truley work you need to engage those 5 senses (at least 3 anyway).
This current VR only engages 2 of them.[/QUOTE]

All or nothing thinking is really short sighted. VR goes further down that path than any other medium has in the past. "Truly work" is kind of pointless to say, because it works. It doesn't have you 100% and forever tricked. "You can fool all the people some of the time" and all that. But it does trick your brain in a way that nothing has before and offers an experience that regular games and films cannot replicate.

As for HoloLense, it is limited by light pollution and something like Oculus will be able to do AR using cameras and still be able to do VR as well, while the HoloLense can never do VR.

[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6505492]I think you just discovered a new VR accessory market.
[/QUOTE]

New? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CZmJvI8mfc

Last edited:

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6505495]how well does it work as an afterthought patch though. it's how they did with PS Move. yeah KZ3 had it but it freaking sucked. you have to design the games around VR to fully experience it. most of these games ain't gonna be high production ones.[/QUOTE]

I guess we will find out soon enough. i just don't see the PSVR being the pinnacle of the VR experience. Time will tell I'm sure.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
From those who have tried all three the PSVR certainly is touted as the least best, I wont say worst because they say its still pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6505515]From those who have tried all three the PSVR certainly is touted as the least best, I wont say worst because they say its still pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Exactly. As I've said a few times I'm not saying the PSVR is going to be rubbish because it clearly won't be. It'll be great and I bet I'll still be very impressed if and when I get a chance to test it.

But I'm also very aware that a ~£350 device just isn't going to be of the same quality as a device costing £600+. That's just using common sense

TapaTalking from my Mind.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6505413]The hardware to back it up, firstly. This generations hardware hasn't really been pumping out the 1080/60fps games and that's what you need as a minimum. I don't see any graphical powerhouse games coming out on the PSVR. [/QUOTE]

Just reduce the IQ. It's not that dramatic. Simpler graphics can be just as good.

[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6505413]and Secondly the resolution is higher on both the Vive and Rift, I think they are aiming for 1200x1080 per eye vs the 960x1080 of the PSVR.

.[/QUOTE]

Given that occulus has *EDIT* 120.. 130(?) degrees of FOV, that puts pixel density at about the same. Here's to hoping they've nailed screendoor effect sufficiently.

[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6505506]
New? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CZmJvI8mfc[/QUOTE]

Cracked the consumer marked? Discovered -a- product, singular term?

[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6505515]From those who have tried all three the PSVR certainly is touted as the least best, I wont say worst because they say its still pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Prototype or market ready? There has certainly been improvements in all headsets.

Last edited:

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6505561]Just reduce the IQ. It's not that dramatic. Simpler graphics can be just as good. [/QUOTE]

Correct, simpler graphics can often be just as good, if not better than, photorealistic graphics at times. But, I guess I'm only speaking on behalf of myself and no one else, i don't want my only VR experiences to be of simple graphics. I will want the photo-realism at times. That's my reason why I wont be doing my own VR on my PS4

Given that occulus has 10.. 20(?) degrees of FOV, that puts pixel density at about the same. Here's to hoping they've nailed screendoor effect sufficiently.
Where have you got that figure from!? PSVR/Rift has 100 degree FOV and the Vive has 110.

Both of which suit me as most games I play with 100/110. Any narrower and I can often get motion sickness. Portal 1 with the default of something as narrow as 60 made me get real bad case of motion sickness. Horrible stuff.

Last edited:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, sorry. Misspelling be damned, I thought PSVR was 110 and Rift 120-130 something.. Thank you for correcting me.

But a slightly higher resolution spread out over a little more field of view has to make for only a minor increase in pixel density, no? I believe you have to atleast have 4K at 90 degrees to combat screen door. That, or some kind of FOVeating.

Last edited:

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6505563]Yeah, sorry. Misspelling be damned, I thought PSVR was 110 and Rift 120-130 something.. Thank you for correcting me. [/quote]

It saddens me that a Norwegian types better English than myself :lol:

But a slightly higher resolution spread out over a little more field of view has to make for only a minor increase in pixel density, no? I believe you have to atleast have 4K at 90 degrees to combat screen door. That, or some kind of FOVeating.
It's about a 20% increase in resolution. There must be some way of working out everything but my math skills are awful. They'll probably be close all things said and done.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
I figure I spell and articulate on a English teacher level. I'm not the average Norwegian in that aspect. Orally I'd probably struggling though. :lol:

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6505513]I guess we will find out soon enough. i just don't see the PSVR being the pinnacle of the VR experience. Time will tell I'm sure.[/QUOTE]
graphics-wise yeah but i don't see much depth into VR other than just looking around.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
A bit off the current topic, but I was typing this before, but it didn't get posted:

It really goes like thiswith VR: Stereoscopic TV < Stereoscopic Cinema < Enclosed 3d (a la Sony's HMV) < 2.5D VR (like Street View in Cardboard) < Monoscopic full motion VR (just the ability to move around) < Stereoscopic VR with a controller < Stereoscopic VR with 1:1 hand based motion controls < Stereoscopic VR with a VR Treadmill / exercise bike / vehicle controls < Full VR with full motion container (like a hydraulic flight sim or something)

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Immersion wise, I find home cinema more immersive than 3D TV.

I also find Cardboard™ more immersive than home cinema, but I have yet to find a way to comfortably wear them for a whole two hours.

Will be amazing to see true VR films. (Might have to be CG captured actors)