PlayStation VR launches October 2016 for $399

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006

PlayStation VR will launch for $399 / 399 Euros / £349 / 44,980 yen in October 2016, Sony Computer Entertainment announced at the Game Developers Conference.

The Playroom VR will be available as a free download to all PlayStation VR owners simultaneously with the launch of the platform.

Here are the hardware’s specifications:

• Display: OLED
  • Screen Size: 5.7″
  • Resolution: 19720 x RGB x 1080 (960 x RGB x 1080 per eye)
  • Refresh Rate: 120 Hz, 90 Hz
  • Sensors: 360 Degree Tracking / 9 LEDs
  • Field of view: Approximately 100 degrees
  • Latency: Less than 18ms
  • Controller: DualShock 4 and PlayStation Move
PlayStation VR also offers a “Cinematic Mode,” which lets users enjoy a variety of content on a large virtual screen at three different zoom levels while wearing the headset. Supported content for Cinematic Mode includes standadr PlayStation 4 games and videos, as well as a large variety of PlayStation 4 features including Share Play and Live from PlayStation. An updated Media Player application will let users enjoy 360-degree photos and videos captured by devices such as omni-directional cameras.

More than 230 developers are building content for PlayStation VR, from smaller independent teams to larger studios such as 2K Games and Ubisoft. Sony is tracking over 50 PlayStation VR titles to be released by the end of 2016, including:

• Eagle Flight (Ubisoft)
  • EVE: Valkyrie (CCP Games)
  • Headmaster (Frame Interactive)
  • Rez Infinite (Enhance Games)
  • Wayward Sky (Uber Entertainment)
  • RIGS: Mechanized Combat League (SCE WWS)
  • Tumble VR (SCE WWS)
  • Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (SCE WWS)
  • PlayStation VR Worlds (SCE WWS)
Sony also announced that is partnering with Electronic Arts and LucasFilm to create a Star Wars Battlefront “gaming experience” exclusively for PlayStation VR. More news about this is expected in the coming months.

Watch a new set of videos below.

Release Date and Price Announcement

[video=youtube;wZ57Cl3Nq6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ57Cl3Nq6o[/video]

PlayStation VR Features Trailer

[video=youtube;Lulzi9LmNSM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lulzi9LmNSM[/video]

PlayStation VR Sizzle Trailer

[video=youtube;-GXvYexMoZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GXvYexMoZY[/video]

The PlayRoom VR Trailer

[video=youtube;kAUZ1H2_fn8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAUZ1H2_fn8[/video]

PlayStation VR Worlds Trailer

[video=youtube;69XFqRfzl_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69XFqRfzl_k[/video]

Tumble VR Trailer

[video=youtube;T460pq02xs0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T460pq02xs0[/video]
Source

Wow, they matched the price of the PlayStation 4. This could be huge for Sony.

Last edited:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
It's a HUGE mistake not selling the move controllers bundled to those who will be demoing PSVR to their friends - the early adopters.

Would be better to sell it stand alone as a pre-purchase only.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
No... but a few of the games do. It was in fact mentioned that you could theoretically use two dualshock controllers for the same purpose.

But it sets an amateurish precedence imo.

I don't know how I feel about it..

How does the head tracking work without the camera?

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Add $60 for a camera and move controller bundle. Golden opportunity for Sony to come out the gates with "399".

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
Camera required, there is no pure motion for games.

People have been shitting on the virtual cinema concept, but here is my view on it.
When I game in the day time, the sun washes out my TV so even if the resolution is less i'll take the extra colour luminance most days of the week inside the headset.

I hope inside the cinema we can fix the screen position so it is always centred no matter the rotation.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 6506254]Camera required, there is no pure motion for games.

People have been $#@!ting on the virtual cinema concept, but here is my view on it.
When I game in the day time, the sun washes out my TV so even if the resolution is less i'll take the extra colour luminance most days of the week inside the headset.

I hope inside the cinema we can fix the screen position so it is always centred no matter the rotation.[/QUOTE]

As purely a screen device, yeah I get that .

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 6506254]People have been $#@!ting on the virtual cinema concept[/QUOTE]

WHO has been doing that, exactly. That's one of my favorite things about it, and was when I was considering the Oculus. The difference? The PS4 can ACTUALLY PLAY BLURAYS and my Laptop (with a Bluray drive, but not with paid software) cannot. Plus, I don't have a 3d TV, so this is a way I can watch 3d movies without getting ANOTHER device. Also, it doesn't JUST play movies, it also plays VR movies. Hopefully the youtube app on PS4 is updated to watch the Cardboard movies, too, because it's hard to find VR movies as downloads.

For me, unless Japan has an unexpected interest in these devices and they're somehow sold out IN OKAYAMA, I'll have one day one. I also won't be buying any other games unless they are VR capable for the next year. My entertainment money is going to be fully devoted to VR until 2017... Except for Deadpool. Gotta see that.

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
Bit disappointed with the bundle of PSVR camera and move controllers being NA only??? No idea why this is? Plus the usual UK/US price differential; I know the pound is a bit weak against the dollar at the moment but I'm pretty sure its not 1.14. Then again I should be used to that too.

Don't mean to sound negative, still going to get one of these bad boys! Like the 'giant cinema screen' idea for non-VR games and movies too, that's a nice addition

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I have two moves 1 nav stick old and new camera, I am all set all I ask is games. But games looks cool.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
CNET played a nasty bit of false comparison. They added the full price of 2 move controllers to the PSVR, but the oculus doesn't have any VR controllers yet (Oculus Touch isn't even priced yet), and third parties are going to be about the same or more. I don't know if the Vive controllers sell separately yet, either, but I can't find them and I'm sure they're part of why Vive is priced 200 usd over the Oculus.

The PS4 comes with a DS4, just like OR comes with an Xbone controller. The PSVR doesn't come with a controller because it doesn't need to. KB/M is super impractical for VR.

(not relevant, but I have one move controller and the camera already, so I'm glad they didn't force bundle purchases out of the gate, but I hope Sofmap still has those used Moves)

Last edited:

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Thought this would be quite a hot topic this morning, I generally thought the price for it was resonable but I'm still not 100% sure if I'm going to take the plunge straight away!

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
For those of us buying one (ME, obviously...), what games are you looking forward to?

For me, The sure things:

Battlezone. I'm generally not into most games that came out before I was born (I think the oldest game I like, Pitfall, came out 1982, the year I was born) but you have to pay homage to the first step toward VR, and it looks like a pretty nifty title.

Playstation VR Whatever... the one that comes with "Into the Deep" and "The Heist".

White Day: It's a Horror game on VR. What's more, a non-portable KOREAN game on Playstation. Never thought I'd see the day.

Robinson. Because... It's freaking amazing.

Ark: Survival Evolved. This is my most awaited game. Provided the regular PS4 version will ALSO be playable on PSVR, I will actually get it at launch in Summer. If it's a separate purchase, then I won't. No repeat of Among the Sleep. I'm really disappointed I'm going to have to buy another game if I want the VR version of Among the Sleep.

Either Project Cars (the VR supporting version), GT Sport or whatever, or the VR Driveclub. I need a racing game more for my friends than for me.

Adr1ft. Because... SPAAAAAAACE! Space, Space, we're in space. Space, are you my father? Yes I am, son. Now we can be a family again. SPAAAAACE!

MAYBES: This is the games that may have VR support

No Man's sky. I wants it, but 2016 is going to be the year of VR, so I'll hold off until next year if it doesn't have VR support.

Atom Universe. Because I want PS Home in VR, and Sony ain't got time for that. I just hope they don't drop voice chat support. I was actually shocked at how many people commented that they were sad at the loss of PS Home. I felt like I was seriously the only one.

Allison Road

Maybes: May be released

Kitchen.

So... There we go. I'm ready. October can't get here soon enough.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Be awesome for racing games, already know that Gran Turismo Sport will have VR support so hopefully it will be something codemasters introduce into their next F1 game, if this happens I shall be picking one up for sure!

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="ArnoldRimmer, post: 6506265]Bit disappointed with the bundle of PSVR camera and move controllers being NA only??? No idea why this is? Plus the usual UK/US price differential; I know the pound is a bit weak against the dollar at the moment but I'm pretty sure its not 1.14. Then again I should be used to that too.

Don't mean to sound negative, still going to get one of these bad boys! Like the 'giant cinema screen' idea for non-VR games and movies too, that's a nice addition[/QUOTE]
It's probably a business strategy. The 399 will probably be in limited supply, until they launch the 459 with a camera and a move. It will definitely come to an international market.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
I'm the same with Rift and the Vive. I want to see which of the two stands on to before I make a purchase. Preferably with 4K or FOVeating technology. If I pay that much for a VR, headset, I don't want to see the slightest HINT of pixels.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
I'll be getting the Vive as a birthday gift to myself in December :) which also gives me enough time to find out about any niggles or issues they have

But I really want PSVR to succeed. I want all of the technologies to succeed as its better for us all if they all do well

TapaTalking from my Mind.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
I Can't see 3D so its a bust in that respect for me. It could be useful in certain styles of games for example driving, I have always found the cockpit views to be unrealistic because the driver position is always too far away from the wheel its as though driving at full arms length with the seat as far back as it goes. Hopefully a VR implemented system could improve that because the FOV can be closer due to the ability to move our head to look at the left or right sides or even the speedo.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6506302]I Can't see 3D so its a bust in that respect for me. It could be useful in certain styles of games for example driving, I have always found the $#@!pit views to be unrealistic because the driver position is always too far away from the wheel its as though driving at full arms length with the seat as far back as it goes. Hopefully a VR implemented system could improve that because the FOV can be closer due to the ability to move our head to look at the left or right sides or even the speedo.[/QUOTE]

If it's that one of your eyes doesn't work right, then you're fine. Just like you can get perspective in real life through movement, you can do the same in VR.It's not just 3d that makes VR work, and the 3d is just a complement to the real thing that makes VR work, which is the changing perspective. Allow me to repeat:

It's not just 3d that makes VR work, and the 3d is just a complement to the real thing that makes VR work, which is the changing perspective.

That can't be overstated.