PlayStation VR launches October 2016 for $399

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6506309]If it's that one of your eyes doesn't work right, then you're fine. Just like you can get perspective in real life through movement, you can do the same in VR.It's not just 3d that makes VR work, and the 3d is just a complement to the real thing that makes VR work, which is the changing perspective. Allow me to repeat:

It's not just 3d that makes VR work, and the 3d is just a complement to the real thing that makes VR work, which is the changing perspective.

That can't be overstated.[/QUOTE]

I know. I cant see 3D in the real world either. Poruing a cup of coffee I have to either move my viewpoint (head) from top down angle to a more side on angle just so I know how full the cup is and I don't overfill or under fill it.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2016
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Depending on the success of PSVR, I can see a revised PS4 being released that will have PSVR's "little box-o-chips" built-in. Then, a new SKU for the VR goggles that won't include the "little box-o-chips".

Either way, it's moot for me. I'm blind in one eye and VR wouldn't be all that special without the 3D effect.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6506278]Playstation VR Whatever... the one that comes with "Into the Deep" and "The Heist".[/QUOTE]
PlayStation VR Worlds. It definitely looks like a cool mix of games to play with a VR headset, in my opinion. Robinson: The Journey looks pretty amazing too.

[video=youtube;AOZtqDhQP44]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOZtqDhQP44[/video]

[QUOTE="mistercrow, post: 6506329]This will fail just like 3D did last gen.[/QUOTE]
Why is that?

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6506345]Don't forget Halo >:D

[/QUOTE]

Hes the original flying cube.

Guilty Spark is the grand daddy of them all.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Wow. Didn't know about the cinematic mode. So you can use this with any PS4 game, Netflix, etc. Very versatile device this thing.

edit: selling out like crazy in Europe.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/03...t-almost-instantly-on-european-amazon-stores/

Today PlayStation VR was made available for pre-order on European Amazon stores including Uk, Germany and France, but it wasn’t up there for long.

The headset remained available only a couple of minutes, before going sold out, with no mention on when it’ll be available again. Only Italy is lagging a bit behind, and there the headset is still available at the moment of this writing, even if we don’t know for how long.

It surely seems to be a strong start for Sony’s virtual reality headset, probably propelled by the PS4’s installed base, and by the price, which is the lowest among the major virtual reality headsets.

Update: Amazon UK just put up a second batch, so if you live in the land of Her Majesty and you’re still looking for a unit, here’s your chance. Unfortunately, based on the initial allocation of units, those who pre-order this new batch don’t have guaranteed day-one delivery. It remains sold out on the French and German stores.

“Due to limited stock we are only able to offer one unit per customer per address. We do not currently have a release date for this product. Based on our initial allocation we cannot guarantee release day delivery if you ordered after 11:45 GMT, Wednesday 16 March, 2016. You will be notified via email of the expected delivery date closer to the time. This product comes with a UK plug and therefore may not be suitable for use outside of the UK.”

Update 2: now the headset is sold out in Italy as well

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="sneezymarble, post: 6506305]Sigh. I think I've got a VR HMD problem...[/QUOTE]

Sounds serious, Im sure an antibiotic will clear that up.

[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6506361]Wow. Didn't know about the cinematic mode. So you can use this with any PS4 game, Netflix, etc. Very versatile device this thing.

edit: selling out like crazy in Europe.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/03...t-almost-instantly-on-european-amazon-stores/[/QUOTE]

Jeeez, get with the times Chris!
Makes it a more versatile personal screen option that's for sure.
Albeit at a reduced resolution.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6506372]I'm interested for sure, but I'll wait and see how it plays out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I want to try it. This isn't something where a trailer or video can project the experience.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6506373]This isn't something where a trailer or video can project the experience.[/QUOTE]
Kind of like watching a rollercoaster video.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
We haven't nearly seen any new footage of that game. Hasn't been hinted at being VR.

Concept just looked really good in UE4 with cellshading and all..

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Bigdoggy, post: 6506505]They should have bundled PSMove with this. still getting it though.[/QUOTE]
I think you can get the PlayStation Move pretty cheap nowadays.

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
So it's the price of a console but you still need the Eye and Move. Can't wait to see how this turns out for Sony. It could fly off the shelves for awhile and then crash and burn like Kinect did or it could be the next big thing. Only time will tell.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="TDbank24, post: 6506515]So it's the price of a console but you still need the Eye and Move. Can't wait to see how this turns out for Sony. It could fly off the shelves for awhile and then crash and burn like Kinect did or it could be the next big thing. Only time will tell.[/QUOTE]
I hope they do well, but people aren't generally fond of having to buy a bunch of extra accessories.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6506545]Not saying the tech isn't worth it but it's going to take a big price drop before i adopt and good support from devs.[/QUOTE]
Same here. Would be nice if there were somewhere it try it out as well.

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
As many have already stated, it's tough to justify myself jumping in early. Price of new console and then would need move and camera to make use of everything. Normally I would state it is a gimmick and would fail, but Sony isn't the only players in the VR department. The fact that there will be multiplat VR games may help this market itself. I will want to also try it out somewhere before I bought it. Lot to plunk down.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
7 months is going to be a biznatch to wait for. Here's hoping Bic Camera sets up an Oculus or Vive station so I can play around with VR some more until then. I should make sure to play through some older games before that point, too, because I won't want to play any non-VR games for a while.